Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,007 members, 7,821,529 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime (27110 Views)

Amazing Drink Before Going To Bed That Will Melt Your Belly Fat Almost Instantl / Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating / Reason Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 30, 2013
firestar: Hun... fancy that.

Centje, what about tea?
it depends on what you used in making the tea.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by UNLEASHED(m): 8:35pm On Jan 30, 2013
Drinking is not bad if you can moderate your urge to drink more. It's normal to take precautions against possible havoc drinking could cause to the body but some that never had a sip of alcohol all their lives die, and people that drink all through their lives live long. Crazy isn't it? It's just the way life is...so why not enjoy life when you only live once?

2 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by firestar(f): 8:47pm On Jan 30, 2013
centje: it depends on what you used in making the tea.

It depends?

It varies:- Green, black, cocoa. coffee, fruit infusions, herbs etc.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by ARareGem(f): 8:55pm On Jan 30, 2013
plainmirror:
Do i look lyk awilo lokomba for your Ơ̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡?
A®ε Ʊ a learner?

grin I understand it's the alcohol that made you type like this. Abeg, continue drinking! Nothing do you! There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof is.... grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by henryadex(m): 9:08pm On Jan 30, 2013
What do you mean we shouldn't drink b4 sleeping Be clearer in your headings, drinking includes water, fruit juices etc
All these your analysis is academic naturally when i have insomnia i take a bit of alcohol and i get quite a nice sleep

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 30, 2013
@OP..Thank u for enlightening us abt d dangers of alchohol intake. My problem is dat d waiters at my favourite bar take time in gracing my table with a recharged bottle of my brand after i empty d last bottle. It leaves me thirsty and dehydrated . I hope it doesn't lead to one of d things u enumerated.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by bamto(m): 9:18pm On Jan 30, 2013
plainmirror: Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I
drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass
& think about the workers in the brewery and all
of their hopes & dreams. If I didn't drink this
beer, they might be out of work & their dreams
would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is
better that I drink this beer & let their dreams
come true than to be selfish and worry about my
liver.
RIP Sanity!!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by steffans(m): 9:30pm On Jan 30, 2013
Weak erection??
Premature Ejaculation??

U ppl shuld start drinking Guiness Stout...u can't experience....dat!!!!

Give it a try den come back here and fill us in?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 30, 2013
firestar:

It depends?

It varies:- Green, black, cocoa. coffee, fruit infusions, herbs etc.

hmmm... grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by naja2: 9:50pm On Jan 30, 2013
oh common give me a break kid! 90% of europeans drink alcohol yet life expectancy in most european countries is 75yrs and above. Africa consumes the least alcohol in the world yet life expectancy is least here. Sugur related deseases kill more people than alcohol. Just as too much anything is bad, i guess moderation is the key word here, remember alcohol is older than sugar. If i drink 2 bottles of star everyday and you drink 2 bottles of coke everyday who do you think stands the higher risk of a desease as a result of consumption of either drink. Coke is a combination of excess sugar and caffiene
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 30, 2013
henryadex: What do you mean we shouldn't drink b4 sleeping Be clearer in your headings, drinking includes water, fruit juices etc
All these your analysis is academic naturally when i have insomnia i take a bit of alcohol and i get quite a nice sleep
i purposely didn't want to specify in my heading...it's a tricky way of arousing people's interest.

You can't say it's academic exercise, alot of people experience these effects. Medically, nothing is absolute,that's the reason for using 'may', 'can' etc.

There're other ways of handling insomnia. Desist from using alcohol,read the last part in the article properly. It may appear to work initially but its later effect is ugly.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jan 30, 2013
steffans: Weak erection??
Premature Ejaculation??

U ppl shuld start drinking Guiness Stout...u can't experience....dat!!!!

Give it a try den come back here and fill us in?
what makes it special
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
naja2: oh common give me a break kid! 90% of europeans drink alcohol yet life expectancy in most european countries is 75yrs and above. Africa consumes the least alcohol in the world yet life expectancy is least here. Sugur related deseases kill more people than alcohol. Just as too much anything is bad, i guess moderation is the key word here, remember alcohol is older than sugar. If i drink 2 bottles of star everyday and you drink 2 bottles of coke everyday who do you think stands the higher risk of a desease as a result of consumption of either drink. Coke is a combination of excess sugar and caffiene
na wa o!
If you read the post well,it was narrowed to side effects of alcohol when taken few hours before bedtime. And its impact on the quality of life not quantity. Moreover,there're other factors,actualy major factors, that determine life expectancy.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by sammmiey1: 11:12pm On Jan 30, 2013
Aifey: People are bein deceived n wantin others 2think 4them when they hav their head. Everytin done is xx has a side effect. Sexx, alchol, coke, smirnof, relaxin, eatin etc. Just like everydrug even Vitamin syrup n blood or multivitamin capsules they all have some negativ effect.
And what are the negative side effects of xcess intake of multivitamin capsule?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by ugoezeb(m): 11:33pm On Jan 30, 2013
centje: Let's have a lil' chat on one of the most consumed chemical on earth. Yes! It's alcohol. It comes in different forms but its effect remains the same. At first gulp of a green bottle it gives us EUPHORIA,then we go into EXCITEMENT as we empty the second bottle, then CONFUSION, STUPOR, COMA and with further intake the ultimate happens, DEATH! Those are the 6 stages of alcohol effect on our body.
For its euphoric effect most of us love this chemical...especially on those evening hang outs...hmmm grin . Have you really thought about it's other effect when taken less than 4 hours before bed
Read on then...let's start with...

* SNORING
Even if you're 'non-snorer', alcohol before bedtime can make you produce this nasty noise at night.
How does it do it? Well,alcohol reduces the resting tone of the muscles at the back of your throat and relaxes your tongue,which can fall back to obstruct your airway during sleep. As you try to force air through these tissues they vibrate and so produce the snore.
For snorers ,alcohol before bed worsens it.

* OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA
This is a disorder in which the upper airway narrows or closes during sleep. The resulting apnea (stoppage of breathing) awakens the person, who then resumes breathing and falls asleep again.
Alcohol before bed can further relax the muscles of the airway and worsen the narrowing. Consequently,the person is deprived of peaceful sleep at night.

* POOR S"EXUAL RESPONSE
Like i wrote earlier on,alcohol is both a nervous system depressant and a muscle relaxant.

In men,
alcohol before bed can lead to difficulty in getting and maintaining an e"rection. It's true that alcohol, in the euphoric or excitement stage, increases our s"exual urge but when it's time for real action,then the wahala comes!
And in long term,it can cause full-blown e"rectile dysfunction.
However, moderate intake,can help someone overcome poor e"rection or quick e"jaculation caused by anxiety. Though its not a good idea to build your s"ex life around alcohol...addiction and other side effect can result.

For women,
alcohol before bed can cause reduced lubrication,difficulty in achieving o"rgasm or o"rgasm that is less intense. And it's also much difficult to achieve pregnancy.

* POT BELLE AND OVERWEIGHT
As we become less active towards the night, our metabolic rate also lessens. Thus major quantity of the alcohol consumed during this period will likely be converted to fats. These fats get deposited within and around your internal organs,other body parts and also within your abdominal wall. This leaves you with pot belle, overweight and increased risk of heart,liver,kidney and intestinal diseases!

* SOAR THROAT AND INFECTION
Some people take alcohol to relief the pain of soar throat. unfortunately, this's temporal. And they're also ignorant of the fact the alcohol actualy causes and worsens soar throat.

Alcohol irritates and dries the tissues of throat. It also decreases the function of the immune cells within the throat tissuses, therefore raises your risk of getting throat infection and other infections of the oral cavity.

* NOCTURIA, NIGHT SWEAT, DEHYDRATION AND HANG OVER
It's normal to urinate 2 times or less in the night. One of the end product of alcohol metabolism is water,and with the diuretic effect of alcohol you will most likely urinate more often at night. Alcohol can also cause night sweat. All these can combine to cause dehydration.

Don't forget...hang over will say ' good morning' the next day.

* INSOMNIA
It may be suprising,but the truth is that alcohol before bed can cause insomnia.
An average adult needs about 7.5-8 hours of sleep in a day to stay healthy. For some reasons, some people can't get this quantity of sleep in a day. So some, especially insomniacs, resort to taking alcohol to induce sleep and probably make it last longer. Initially, this might appear to work but it's diverstating in the long run.
To undertand how alcohol cause insomnia let's learn some facts about sleep.

Two main states and 6 stages characterise a normal sleep...
# Non-rapid eye movement(NREM)sleep
aka quiet sleep: stage 1-4

# Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep
aka active sleep: stage 5-6, most dreams occur at this stage.

To have a good sleep you need to a balanced alternation between these two stages.

Alcohol consumed 1-3 hours before bedtime interfers with sleep hormones and disrupts the sleep cycle (REM sleep seems more affected,it shortens it). The person is awaken by dream,the urge to urinate,sweat,breathlessness,dehydration etc but he finds it difficult returning to sleep. And the sedate effect of the alcohol must have faded by then.
In addition,the person may develop tolerance to the sedative effect of the alcohol while the disruptive effect continues,hence insomnia continues!

nawao to dis Op. U didnd post dis early. I jst finishd d 3rd bottle.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jan 30, 2013
ugoezeb:
nawao to dis Op. U didnd post dis early. I jst finishd d 3rd bottle.
3rd bottle of eva water grin
Could that be the reason for quoting the whole article
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by omicron(m): 12:15am On Jan 31, 2013
samm_miey: And what are the negative side effects of xcess intake of multivitamin capsule?
if you too many tablets of multivitamin containing elemental iron or it's equivalent, you can have a condition called haemochromatosis, or iron overload, which can cause liver failure in the long run. The guy is correct, virtually everything taken in excess has a negative effect. Basic pharmacology will first teach you that all drugs are poisons, when taken in excess, before it will teach you other things about drugs.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by sharpboyus(m): 12:27am On Jan 31, 2013
onila:

maybe bcus i never buy wine on my own

whenever i drink wine its in some friends house or event

my fridge is filled with coke n sprite grin

i dont like beer or brandy. . i have a sweet tooth. .i find beer n brandy bitter

Hope say jedi jedi no go injure u smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Buchianom(m): 12:32am On Jan 31, 2013
@ OP.. U mean we shld stop drinking after MBBS results ar released,stop visiting 'Jennifer' $ PG joints,or stop drinking after swearing in/inductions Nna park well abegii....dat thing (alcohol) keeps body$soul togeda regardless of consumption tym.

##Gv me gve me sm alcohol..in Flavours voice..lol
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Tonitelli: 12:45am On Jan 31, 2013
*leaves thread..walks over to fridge..opens a bottle of big stout..puts on durella's 'shayo,shayo shayo shayo'.....comes back to thread*....
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by davids202(m): 1:51am On Jan 31, 2013
Nice
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Sargon101(m): 2:07am On Jan 31, 2013
[/quote][quote]
[color=#000099][/color]
onila: hmmm thanks

I am glad I dont drink smiley
Very funny... Yhu are missing. Don't mind dis OP
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Sargon101(m): 2:09am On Jan 31, 2013
[color=#550000][/color]
henryadex: What do you mean we shouldn't drink b4 sleeping Be clearer in your headings, drinking includes water, fruit juices etc
Correct man... I even suspect OP is high on something
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Ayorh4you(m): 4:06am On Jan 31, 2013
centje: Let's have a lil' chat on one of the most consumed chemical on earth. Yes! It's alcohol. It comes in different forms but its effect remains the same. At first gulp of a green bottle it gives us EUPHORIA,then we go into EXCITEMENT as we empty the second bottle, then CONFUSION, STUPOR, COMA and with further intake the ultimate happens, DEATH! Those are the 6 stages of alcohol effect on our body.
For its euphoric effect most of us love this chemical...especially on those evening hang outs...hmmm grin . Have you really thought about it's other effect when taken less than 4 hours before bed

* SNORING
Even if you're 'non-snorer', alcohol before bedtime can make you produce this nasty noise at night.
How does it do it? Well,alcohol reduces the resting tone of the muscles at the back of your throat and relaxes your tongue,which can fall back to obstruct your airway during sleep. As you try to force air through these tissues they vibrate and so produce the snore.

This is a disorder in which the upper airway narrows or closes during sleep. The resulting apnea (stoppage of breathing) awakens the person, who then resumes breathing and falls asleep again.
Alcohol before bed can further relax the muscles of the airway and worsen the narrowing. Consequently,the person is deprived of peaceful sleep at night.

* POOR S"EXUAL RESPONSE
Like i wrote earlier on,alcohol is both a nervous system depressant and a muscle relaxant.

In men,
alcohol before bed can lead to difficulty in getting and maintaining an e"rection. It's true that alcohol, in the euphoric or excitement stage, increases our s"exual urge but when it's time for real action,then the wahala comes!
However, moderate intake,can help someone overcome poor e"rection or quick e"jaculation caused by anxiety. Though its not a good idea to build your s"ex life around alcohol...addiction and other side effect can result.

For women,
alcohol before bed can cause reduced lubrication,difficulty in achieving o"rgasm or o"rgasm that is less intense. And it's also much difficult to achieve pregnancy.

As we become less active towards the night, our metabolic rate also lessens. Thus major quantity of the alcohol consumed during this period will likely be converted to fats. These fats get deposited within and around your internal organs,other body parts and also within your abdominal wall. This leaves you with pot belle, overweight and increased risk of heart,liver,kidney and intestinal diseases!

Some people take alcohol to relief the pain of soar throat. unfortunately, this's temporal. And they're also ignorant of the fact the alcohol actualy causes and worsens soar throat.

Alcohol irritates and dries the tissues of throat. It also decreases the function of the immune cells within the throat tissuses, therefore raises your risk of getting throat infection and other infections of the oral cavity.

It's normal to urinate 2 times or less in the night. One of the end product of alcohol metabolism is water,and with the diuretic effect of alcohol you will most likely urinate more often at night. Alcohol can also cause night sweat. All these can combine to cause dehydration.

* INSOMNIA
It may be suprising,but the truth is that alcohol before bed can cause insomnia.
An average adult needs about 7.5-8 hours of sleep in a day to stay healthy. For some reasons, some people can't get this quantity of sleep in a day. So some, especially insomniacs, resort to taking alcohol to induce sleep and probably make it last longer. Initially, this might appear to work but it's diverstating in the long run.

To have a good sleep you need to a balanced alternation between these two stages.

Alcohol consumed 1-3 hours before bedtime interfers with sleep hormones and disrupts the sleep cycle (REM sleep seems more affected,it shortens it). The person is awaken by dream,the urge to urinate,sweat,breathlessness,dehydration etc but he finds it difficult returning to sleep. And the sedate effect of the alcohol must have faded by then.
In addition,the person may develop tolerance to the sedative effect of the alcohol while the disruptive effect continues,hence insomnia continues!

Yimu
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 5:45am On Jan 31, 2013
WHAT OF ALOMO
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by pafestula(m): 6:19am On Jan 31, 2013
He who drinks fall asleep,
He who fall asleep dont sin,
He who do not commit sin goes to heaven, then paradise.. so make your choice...lol
And am using this medium to thank you sir for yr analysis Prof. Beerlology, Msc in Alcohollizm. We don hear u
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 7:18am On Jan 31, 2013
Something must kill a man.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by dhardline(m): 7:44am On Jan 31, 2013
You say you take only soda's dont worry at the long run when diabetis catches up with you earlier than you expect you will understand that it's a rich man's disease in that you'll have to buy insulin for nothing less than #1500x2 weekly den syringes of 400 for a pack of ten and take the shots two times daily.dont get the wrong most lager beer we consume contain sugar toø but you cant compare it with that of soda's.as someone said earlier no matter what it is toø much of anytin is bad.p.s more people today have diabetis that liver and kidney diseases.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by blackbeau1(f): 8:30am On Jan 31, 2013
Hmmm but it makes me sleep so well that I believe I should take it every night
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by jhydebaba(m): 9:38am On Jan 31, 2013
Make we hear word joor, na one death go kill person. I know a responsible man who is 65 years, he is hale n hearty, he takes atleast 4 bottles daily (mixture inclusive cheesy) for the past 6 years that I have known him and he even confided in me that he has been drinking since he was barely 15.
I know another one though not very responsible because at 70, he still smokes weed, drink 'jedi' local gin, beer and as the spirit led. He is hale n hearty like baba rolling dollars. Abegi, any body wey get heart/liver/kidney problem wan get am no be alcohol cause am joor abi those people get extra life cheesy

*bar man, serve round*

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 11:01am On Jan 31, 2013
jhydebaba: Make we hear word joor, na one death go kill person. I know a responsible man who is 65 years, he is hale n hearty, he takes atleast 4 bottles daily (mixture inclusive cheesy) for the past 6 years that I have known him and he even confided in me that he has been drinking since he was barely 15.
I know another one though not very responsible because at 70, he still smokes weed, drink 'jedi' local gin, beer and as the spirit led. He is hale n hearty like baba rolling dollars. Abegi, any body wey get heart/liver/kidney problem wan get am no be alcohol cause am joor abi those people get extra life cheesy

*bar man, serve round*
these few people you mentioned are what percentage of the total number at risk.

The risk of alcohol related diseases increase with each glass you take,that is the truth! wink
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by messiah147: 11:39am On Jan 31, 2013

* SNORING

* POOR S"EXUAL RESPONSE

In men,

For women,

* INSOMNIA

good to learn but i add not palm wine because it makes me sleep deep to the world of death... tanx my bro 4 ur leature....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

575 New COVID-19 Cases, 163 Discharged And 9 Deaths On July 6 / Saidu Ahmed Is Dead! NEMA North East Coordinator Dies In Borno / FG Bans Inter-State Movement Of COVID-19 Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.