Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,848 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? (10450 Views)

Super Eagles - The Way Forward / Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief / National Honours, Land & Cash For Keshi & Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by danny301: 1:58pm On Jan 30, 2013
dotreal4life: When Siasia was building a formidable team, people like Amokachi and Ikpeba (Basket Mouth) used their rubish mouths to force him out of office (On DSTV programmes). Where is Ikpeba now? We need him to come out and rubish this Amokachi and keshi's team. Backbelle set of people. Na so dem do for Late King Yekini. Posterity will judge all of you. In my opinior, this team is the worst Nigerian team ever.

You miss it.... it's not Amokachi and keshi's team rather it's Keshi and Amokachi's team because Amokachi is only assisting the big Boss. And if i may ask, how Amokachi and Ikpeba forced Siasia out of the national team? Were they ones that made him not to qualify the team for nations cup? And as for the question as to whether Keshi's eagle is worst ever, the answer is NO.... If not for poor officiating this team would have won all three matches in the group stage.... Foot ball have grown all over the world so you don't expect team to be ran through as if they are primary school boys. Let's give some credits to the boys for qualifying for the quarter-final... Zambia, the defending champions couldn't make it. Algeria got eliminated after just matches, Tunisia may join today and a couple of other team that are ranked higher than Nigeria may not make too.... Let's learn to be positive at-least for once. This team is a very young both in age, experience and otherwise and can only improve with time.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by bestower: 2:14pm On Jan 30, 2013
Super eagles Vs agege united,i swear we shall triumph over this so called lazy,static,brainless eagles.i will write NFF for dis match which will be play at newly renovated agege stadium.moreover,super eagles welcome to nigeria on monday morin,murtala mohammed airport here we come!
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by pak: 2:24pm On Jan 30, 2013
Jarus: I was about saying here was a team with 17 out of the 23 players never featuring in AFCON before. But then I remember Ghana came to ANC 2010 with their under-20 boys and stipped reached final, pipping Nigeria along the way.

My own belief is that Nigeria doesn't have quality talents again. Just a bunch of average players we hype.
Adding insult to their injury, other African countries are improving.

Now, is it the worst? Comparatively, it is. But I don't think they are irredeemably bad. They have the potential. I still don't rule them off yet.

I can't bank on them, but when I remember what these guys are capable of doing, I get some relief:

Mikel has played and made impact at the highest level: UCL final
Moses dazzles in EPL, arguably the best league
Musa dazzles in Russia, scoring up to 10 goals already this season
Uche the typical La Liga player - skilful
Ambrose may not be in the league of the Kolo Toures but is gradually coming up and did well in UCL, against - wait for it - Messi's Barca
Enyeama has stopped even Messi in the past
Ideye proved himself in Fench ligue 1, scoring up to 15 league goals, doing same in Ukraine
We also all know what Emenike can do

When I look at all these, it becomes difficult for me to write off these boys

I absolutely love your comments but it should be noted that a team is not just about the players but also the tactical formation they are made to play in as a group.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by elampiro(m): 2:29pm On Jan 30, 2013
Austyn316: This Super Eagles team is one that has no passion. At least now, Nigerians understand what Osaze was talking about when he said that leadership was lacking in the team. Yesterday, on Super Sports Oliseh made veiled reference to this fact when he talked about the abundance of leadership qualities amongst the players during his era in the Eagles. There was Keshi, Amokachi, Oliseh, Okechukwu, Rufai and Okocha men with leadership prowess.

I recall with nostalgia how Oliseh braved the odds in 2000 when Nigeria was playing against Senegal in the Afcon quarter finals. Oliseh was down with malaria and was not supposed to play the match but he spoke to Bonfrere Jo to let him join the fray. When Captain Oliseh entered the pitch the game changed. He organized the team well and sent a trade mark pass to Julius Aghaowa and that was how we got the equaliser and then went on to defeat a Senagalese team with the likes of Diouf, Henry and Papa. There is presently no visible leader in the team.

Echiejile is not Iroha. He plays with only one foot and gets confused whenever the ball gets to his right foot. He can't cross the ball when he goes forward and lacks confidence. Taiye Taiwo is still playing good football, we need him back.

Whatever took Ike Uche to Division 2 football should have made Keshi to know that IK Uche is no longer the player we used to know. He is slow and presently totally bereft of ideas when he has the ball in Afcon 2013. Keshi must recall Martins for the world cup qualifier.

Ahmed Musa has given us a below average performance in Afcon 2013. I can't remember any descent cross or pull out from the wings from Musa in the three matches played so far in the tournament. He is just all pace and not effective.

Mikel Obi is just too slow and wouldn't pass on the ball at the right time. He slowed down all our counter attacks. He is presently the only Super Eagles player that passes the ball accurately from long range.

Westerhof didn't assemble that team in one year.

Westerhof built his team for 5 years. His first match was a world cup qualifier away to Cameroun, Nigeria needed a draw to win the group and progress but we lost the match 1-0. Etim Esin, Henry Nwosu, Yisa Sofoluwe, and others were in that team. That was 1989, in 1990 Westerhof lost his first nations cup 1-5 to host Algeria, but he still managed to propelled Eagles to the final and came 2nd. Some new players were introduced, like Emma Okocha and Aloy Ago. Yekini, Keshi, Siasia, Thompson Oliha and Uche Okafor were old members.

Between 1990 and 1993, Westerhof brought in Ben Iroha, Amokachi, Finidi George, Austine Okocha, Uche Okechukwu, Amunike, Garba Lawal, Victor Ikpeba, Mutiu Adepoju, etc. These were the best among very many players Westerhof used to play two nations cup, two WAFU cups and world cup and nations cup qualifiers. Players like Richard Owubokiri, Edema Fuludu, Moses Kpakpor, Nduka Ngbade who were very good were dropped along the line.

What point am I making, the USA '94 team was a result of a long building process. If Nigeria keep firing coaches, we can never have a good team. Sunday Oliseh came into that team after the qualifying series, his inclusion strengthened an already strong Nigeria midfield, also Mike Emenalo strengthened the defence and Nigeria won her 2nd nations cup . Chidi Nwanu was included in the central defence for the world cup.

Siasia should never have been sacked. Amodu too, Nigeria has to apologised to Amodu. He never failed Nigeria despite limited time he had, yet he wasn't allowed to reap the fruit of is labour- qualified Nigeria for two world cups. Finally Keshi should be given at least two more years. Hiring and firing coaches is what is killing our football.

4 Likes

Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by elampiro(m): 2:37pm On Jan 30, 2013
Jarus: I was about saying here was a team with 17 out of the 23 players never featuring in AFCON before. But then I remember Ghana came to ANC 2010 with their under-20 boys and stipped reached final, pipping Nigeria along the way.

My own belief is that Nigeria doesn't have quality talents again. Just a bunch of average players we hype.
Adding insult to their injury, other African countries are improving.

Now, is it the worst? Comparatively, it is. But I don't think they are irredeemably bad. They have the potential. I still don't rule them off yet.

I can't bank on them, but when I remember what these guys are capable of doing, I get some relief:

Mikel has played and made impact at the highest level: UCL final
Moses dazzles in EPL, arguably the best league
Musa dazzles in Russia, scoring up to 10 goals already this season
Uche the typical La Liga player - skilful
Ambrose may not be in the league of the Kolo Toures but is gradually coming up and did well in UCL, against - wait for it - Messi's Barca
Enyeama has stopped even Messi in the past
Ideye proved himself in Fench ligue 1, scoring up to 15 league goals, doing same in Ukraine
We also all know what Emenike can do

When I look at all these, it becomes difficult for me to write off these boys

You have analysed the players qualities well. Sometimes you need confidence to play at an optimal level. Haven drawn the first two matches, they appeared to have entered the make or break match nervously. If only we were not meeting Ivory Coast at this time. Nigeria actually did well against Zambia, the defending champion.

I did not expect us to be super in this tournament, may be the next one as the team grows in confidence, cohesion, and with the injection of better players while removing the under performing ones. The Eagles of 1994 was built just that way. Even the Ivory Coast team was not built in a year.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by elampiro(m): 2:40pm On Jan 30, 2013
Tony Spike:

I disagree with you...that team came third at the 2002 AFCON Finals and managed to rub shoulders with the English team at 2002 World Cup...

Amodu team came third at AFCON 2002, it wasnt the same team that Onigbinde took to world cup. Check your records or ask Google.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by seunlayi(m): 2:44pm On Jan 30, 2013
SEGAD:

Bros, I disagree with you on 2002 team because they played very well in that tournament, my opinion.

Mali 2002 and Angola 2010 are the worst team so far.
2002 squad to me was one of our best, new players that latter matured and are still relevant till today were produced, Nigeria was not disgrace in any of the matches, Argentine Coach confessed that their 1:0 defeat of Nigeria led to their early exist in the Q-final. Sweden exscaped with 2:1 victory and they drew with England with their best squad then (Beckham, Rooney, etc.).
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by elampiro(m): 2:51pm On Jan 30, 2013
seunlayi: 2002 squad to me was one of our best, new players that latter matured and are still relevant till today were produced, Nigeria was not disgrace in any of the matches, Argentine Coach confessed that their 1:0 defeat of Nigeria led to their early exist in the Q-final. Sweden exscaped with 2:1 victory and they drew with England with their best squad then (Beckham, Rooney, etc.).

You are only interested in celebrating beautiful football and not success. Nigeria has played four world cups, and that was our worst outing.

Apart from Enyeama who went to the world cup as a reserve keeper behind Ike Shoromu, which other member of that team became successful for Eagles or even club?

Let's be objective.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 30, 2013
seunlayi: 2002 squad to me was one of our best, new players that latter matured and are still relevant till today were produced, Nigeria was not disgrace in any of the matches, Argentine Coach confessed that their 1:0 defeat of Nigeria led to their early exist in the Q-final. Sweden exscaped with 2:1 victory and they drew with England with their best squad then (Beckham, Rooney, etc.).
The emboldened shows you are just a football newbie.
Rooney didn't go to the World Cup in 2002.
Besides Argentina outplayed us and we were the ones lucky to get beaten by only a single goal.

1 Like

Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 30, 2013
The 2002 was a disaster.
Opabunmi, Ogbeche, Efe Sodje had NO business in any senior national side from these shores.

That squad was as clueless as they come,managed by a clueless old man with decayed grey matter wholeft his best options at home.
Akin to what we are seeing in South Africa right now.
2012 Nations Cup and 2002 World cup are at par, abeg.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by BlueMurder(m): 2:59pm On Jan 30, 2013
My heart tells me we are, but my head reminds me that the present team is very inexperienced, the result of a somewhat long rebuilding process. Our terrible Abramovich style of brutal hiring and firing is the bane of our football. As someone pointed out earlier, we should not be too emotional about this. This team would come good eventually when we include good players and weed out ineffective ones. We must be patient: great teams were not built in a hurry!

1 Like

Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jan 30, 2013
People giving excuses about inexperience of this side should remember the 1990 side.
Inexperience is no excuse.
The present lot are simply not good enough, and the cluelessness of the coach is simply embarrassing.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by elampiro(m): 3:04pm On Jan 30, 2013
StarBoard:
The emboldened shows you are just a football newbie.
Rooney didn't go to the World Cup in 2002.
Besides Argentina outplayed us and we were the ones lucky to get beaten by only a single goal.

Thank you. It was Ike Shoromu that kept the score line slim. I wondered if we had any attempt at goal against the Argentines in 2002.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by elampiro(m): 3:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
StarBoard: People giving excuses about inexperience of this side should remember the 1990 side.
Inexperience is no excuse.
The present lot are simply not good enough, and the cluelessness of the coach is simply embarrassing.

The 1990 side had experienced players in the team. Some players who had played previous two or three consecutive nations cup. There was no break. Remember Keshi, Yekini, Eguavoen, Uche Okafor, Siasia, etc. They were already big bosses in Africa competitions. The only big boss we have now is Enyeama.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by DaWhiz: 3:16pm On Jan 30, 2013
bhadico: At times I regret being a Nigerian..not because of anything ..but for the fact tht I and some complicated and unpatriotic people Have to carry the same passport... The team won..yet we called them the worst..I could remember the days of okocha when we all blamed him for unseriously dribbling..and how Taiye taiwo is as rigid as standing pillar..new set..new coach..qualifications..yet..we still come here and call tht team the worst in history .. This team conceded a late goal and a penalty unjustly awarded against them..with 10 men for the first..yet.. We say they are bad... Whosoever start this trend is not a normal Nigerian...

Cosigned!
The team won their last game. What the hell do you guys want again from them?!
We're supposed to offer our support.
Let them be...
We'd see on Sunday which way this is gonna go but if you don't have a way to contribute to their progress then STFU!!! angry angry

1 Like

Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by BlueMurder(m): 3:26pm On Jan 30, 2013
Again, we have to start asking ourselves some fundamental questions. What has happened to our supply lines? Our age-grade teams are supposed to serve as feeders to our senior national team, but how many players from our U-17, U-21 and U-23 teams have gone on to play consistently for the SE in the past decade? Our disgraceful penchant for age-cheating at those levels, fueled by our win-at-all-cost mentality, is a key reason we have been struggling with average players. Have we learnt any lessons? How many members of the current younger teams will go on to play for the SE next year or in a couple of years? Unless we are willing to tackle these problems head-on, we will continue to grovel in the dark.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by gloryon(m): 3:29pm On Jan 30, 2013
The ability to win games even when u are nt playing well IMO makes u a good team.so forget dz crap dt SE is nt playing well.they t winning games,watelse do u guys want?! I bliv we going to come out tops on sunday #teamNigeria#
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by elampiro(m): 4:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
BlueMurder: Again, we have to start asking ourselves some fundamental questions. What has happened to our supply lines? Our age-grade teams are supposed to serve as feeders to our senior national team, but how many players from our U-17, U-21 and U-23 teams have gone on to play consistently for the SE in the past decade? Our disgraceful penchant for age-cheating at those levels, fueled by our win-at-all-cost mentality, is a key reason we have been struggling with average players. Have we learnt any lessons? How many members of the current younger teams will go on to play for the SE next year or in a couple of years? Unless we are willing to tackle these problems head-on, we will continue to grovel in the dark.

You are correct, but there were quite a number of players that have come in without going through the age football. Finidi George, Sunday Oliseh, Emmanuel Amunike, Stephen Keshi , Samson Siasia, Augustine Egoavoen, Taribo West, Rashidi Yekini, Daniel Amokachie, Uche Okechukwu, Chidi Nwanu, Peter Rufai, Austine Okocha, and many more. Many of them were even recruited when they were still home based.

Only very few players have made it through the ranks. Celestine Babayaro, Kanu Nwankwo, Victor Ikpeba, Wilson Oruma, Nduka Ugbade, Tarila Okorowanta.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by effizy123(m): 4:20pm On Jan 30, 2013
The problem obviously is the coach. Those boys are actually talented. Zambia that paraded a team that is less talented in 2012 played and organised themselves very well and they went ahead to win the AFCON 2012. So the team is not lacking in talent to play well but the coach lack the tactical and organisational ability to form them into a functional team. Nobody should tell us that they just started playing together as a team. The first Match played by Siasia's team played well and they were playing well even though Siasia made some mistakes which cost us the nations cup participation in 2012, i still beleive in his team than this Keshi's bunch of lackluster team.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by Positiveminds(m): 4:22pm On Jan 30, 2013
ayusco85: This is the worst team ever. Why is mikel playing like A̶̲̥̅ home based player that has never played professional football? He lacks confidence and creativity. He should be the one carrying the teams, but he seems to be clueless just as his coach. SMH. *hisses and spits*
This is surely the worst super eagles squad.

You are as dull as the one who posted this thread. Needless to say that you have never kicked football all your life, it is pathetic that most of you here lack the ability to do simple reasoning. Keshi is building a team of our Super Eagles. Building process is never easy. And, daft as you are, am sure you really have never made efforts at developing anything in your life. It is no surprise that you have remained a street thruster and risk to your neighborhood.Mshewwwww!

1 Like

Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 30, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Bleep'ing unpatriotic thwarts!!!
This team is a new team and so far, they are delivering. If you think football is all about publishing stupid analysis on Nl, then you're high on dog s'h'I't.

eagles will soar at SA, and this team will perform wonders. If you don't like it, 3rd mainland bridge is waiting for your a'r's'e!!!
guy na bck of tv u dy watch or na black and white tv u dy use for ur haux
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by IKdImpeccable(m): 4:36pm On Jan 30, 2013
i wish i can say something. i doubt if this crop of boys will go far in this tournament! still i wish them luck!
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by jmoore(m): 5:13pm On Jan 30, 2013
The Zambian coach said that this is the worst set of Nigerian team but the "best" Zambian team could not beat us neither did they qualify for the quarterfinals. Its all about the results.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by horlatunde(m): 5:40pm On Jan 30, 2013
I dis-agree with all those who say dis Keshi team is d worst eagle team ever produce. or that keshi, is d worst coach.
I want u all, to realise that keshi, is in dis tournament with 17new players, who are debutants, six of which are 4rm d home base..
Also, with eleven Man ethiopia side, we scored one goal and der didn't play anything at al.l.
Don't 4get dat a 10man ethiopia team equalise d 4rm d champion zambia 1-1 and equally lost a penalty.
Burkina faso defeated dis same Ethiopia side with 10man 4-0
Cape verde of all country qualified at d expense of Morocco and Angola while togo qualified at the expense of tunisia.
Let's nt 4get dat zambia defeated Ghana and CIV to win d last AFCON and dis year der are out. Dats football 4 u.
Chelsea in europe played ugly and Won d UCL defeating Barca and bayern Munich while arsenal full of sexy pattern has nt won a spoon in d past 8years now....As an arsenal fan am nt happy with dis. Football has changed as no team can be underrated.... Keshi is in a building process and shud be allow to Continue.

1 Like

Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by donchuky(m): 6:55pm On Jan 30, 2013
@dotreal4life, Your right my brother @damy301, its like you didn't watch what that job seeker Danial said during siasia era. Well i stop watching Nigeria football since 2000, so weather they win or not is not my business but I am actually waiting for Amokachi to come back to DSTV for me to give him his own pound of flesh because this is the worse set of coaching crew and team we have ever assemble for ages. He talk anyhow, there was i time he said Enyimba bribe the way all through because they sack him as a coach. Not to talk of the funny guy that fried his head with frying his leg to trap ball. grin
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 30, 2013
I just read somewhere that this SE team are unbeaten in their last 22 games.

These negative posters here must be living on a different planet.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by uromicom: 9:35pm On Jan 30, 2013
TB JOUSHUA where u dey predıt these match befor he start make ı know where ı dey oooooooo
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by dabossman(m): 11:53am On Jan 31, 2013
tbaba1234: This is untrue...

This is not the worst eagles team ever. Maybe the least experienced but certainly not the worst.

At 2:0 against 10 men, Nigeria played it safe yesterday, which was the wise thing to do. In the game against burkinafaso, we needed to keep possession but we attacked, lost possession and were punished on the counter.

Musa has been heavily criticized but on his day, we know he can be a menace to any defence.

We are rebuilding and it takes time. Even if we lose, I hope the coach retains his job.

So true on the bold lines. I wonder how we can compare a team with as many as 10 Nations Cup debutants with teams that played at several tournaments and won us nothing. Our teams from around 2000-2010 revolved around almost the same character give or take a few additions. Most of the players in that era could boast of over 30 caps for Nigeria. Name them, Oliseh, Okocha, Kanu, Yobo, Taribo, Utaka, Martins, Yakubu etc, played in the national team for a decade or more, and all they kept winning was bronze. They even managed to miss the World Cup in 2006 and barely made it to South Africa 2010. We are now comparing them to a team with Ogude, Oboabona, igiebor, Emenike and co. I'm sure if we add all their caps together, Yobo would probably still trump them on appearances.

Even the highly famed 94 squad caused us pain and heartache at Algiers 90 and Senegal 92. Yes they won silver and bronze, but Nigerians wanted gold. Westerhoff was almost sacked for godsake.

If these boys crash out on Sunday, so be it. I don't know why we are expecting too much of them anyway? By the way, when was the last time the "almighty" Ghana, or the fearsome Ivorian Elephants last win the nations cup?
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 31, 2013
elampiro:

The 1990 side had experienced players in the team. Some players who had played previous two or three consecutive nations cup. There was no break. Remember Keshi, Yekini, Eguavoen, Uche Okafor, Siasia, etc. They were already big bosses in Africa competitions. The only big boss we have now is Enyeama.
You lie.
Keshi, Eguavoen, Uche Okafor Siasia NEVER smelt Algeria 1990.
Yekini was the only one who went of the ones you listed.
We only went with three foreign based players: Andrew Uwe (Roselare ,Belgium),Rashidi Yekini (Africa Sports,Ivory Coast) and Friday Elahor (Brondby, Denmark).
The rest were home-based players: Alloy Agu(ACB)Captain, Christian Obi (?),Abdul Aminu (El Kanemi), Ademola Adeshina(Shooting Stars) Benedict Iroha, Uche Okechukwu and Thompson Oliha (Iwuanayawu Nationale), Isaac Semitoje and Baldwin Bazuaye(Bendel Insurance),Herbert Anijekwu and Emmanuel Okocha (Rangers) Wasiu Ipaye (First Bank),Tajudeen Oyekanmi, Ayo Ogunlana and Daniel Amokachi (Ranchers Bees, Kaduna),Moses Kpakor (BCC Lions).
Of the above listed, only Yekini, Andrew Uweh and Ademola Adeshina had been to the Nations cup previously.
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by pak: 2:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
StarBoard:
You lie.
Keshi, Eguavoen, Uche Okafor Siasia NEVER smelt Algeria 1990.
Yekini was the only one who went of the ones you listed.
We only went with three foreign based players: Andrew Uwe (Roselare ,Belgium),Rashidi Yekini (Africa Sports,Ivory Coast) and Friday Elahor (Brondby, Denmark).
The rest were home-based players: Alloy Agu(ACB)Captain, Christian Obi (?),Abdul Aminu (El Kanemi), Ademola Adeshina(Shooting Stars) Benedict Iroha, Uche Okechukwu and Thompson Oliha (Iwuanayawu Nationale), Isaac Semitoje and Baldwin Bazuaye(Bendel Insurance),Herbert Anijekwu and Emmanuel Okocha (Rangers) Wasiu Ipaye (First Bank),Tajudeen Oyekanmi, Ayo Ogunlana and Daniel Amokachi (Ranchers Bees, Kaduna),Moses Kpakor (BCC Lions).
Of the above listed, only Yekini, Andrew Uweh and Ademola Adeshina had been to the Nations cup previously.

You are absolutely correct !

and to all saying that this team is young and inexperienced and all that stuff . . .

Please remember that age is just a number in Nigerian football. Every sensible Nigerian coach should just go out there and put his best fut forward.

There is no proof that Brown Ideye or Emenike are younger than Osaze Odemwingie despite the latter having been in the eagles for nigh on a decade. How are you sure Yobo is actually older than Efe Ambrose and Obobajana ? Are you their mothers.

Where is Stanley Okoro ? Where is Femi Opabunmi ? Where is Ogbeche ? Where are all those 'under 17' boys that won the world cup in 2007. Where is Friday Christopher ? How come Aghahowa played is best football for Nigeria at 'age 22' ?

All these talk of young, inexperienced, team of the future is hogwash. I say hogwash for two reasons.

One is young or not, a good team will always impress with their football , regardless of whether they win or not. Did you see how young the Ghanian team that got to the final at the 2010 nations cup (beating Nigeria along the way) was ?

The Nigerian team at Cairo '91 and Saudi '89 failed to win anything but everyone that saw them (including the great Pele) knew those guys were heading for something big. These guys play like they are going nowhere.

Two, any attempt by a Nigerian coach to build solely for the future (Onigbinde, are you listening) ends up being an exercise in futility. It only ends up with the team failing both now and in the future. With the coach getting sacked. The Super Eagles is neither a rehabilitation ground nor a secondary school - building future team is the prerogative of our junior teams
Re: Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 31, 2013
pak:

You are absolutely correct !

and to all saying that this team is young and inexperienced and all that stuff . . .

My point exactly.
This silly side of 2013 should NEVER use experience as an excuse.Enyeama, Yobo, Mikel are veterans of multiple Nations Cups and World Cups. Emenike, Ambrose Efe and Brown Ideye are regulars in the UEFA Champions League and/or Europa League.
The 1990 side beat Egypt and Ivory Coast in the same group.
The 2013 side scraped past Ethiopia and drew with Burkina Faso.

pak:
Please remember that age is just a number in Nigerian football. Every sensible Nigerian coach should just go out there and put his best fut forward.

There is no proof that Brown Ideye or Emenike are younger than Osaze Odemwingie despite the latter having been in the eagles for nigh on a decade. How are you sure Yobo is actually older than Efe Ambrose and Obobajana ? Are you their mothers.

Where is Stanley Okoro ? Where is Femi Opabunmi ? Where is Ogbeche ? Where are all those 'under 17' boys that won the world cup in 2007. Where is Friday Christopher ? How come Aghahowa played is best football for Nigeria at 'age 22' ?

All these talk of young, inexperienced, team of the future is hogwash. I say hogwash for two reasons.

One is young or not, a good team will always impress with their football , regardless of whether they win or not. Did you see how young the Ghanian team that got to the final at the 2010 nations cup (beating Nigeria along the way) was ?
You raised a number of pertinent issues whose answers will only lead to the reason why our football is in such a sorry state.
The last part of the above-quoted kills the experience excuse these people are peddling about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

World Beach Soccer: Oman Defeats Nigeria 6 - 5 / FABIO CAPELLO Accused Of Allowing Victor Moses To Slip Through England / AFCON 2021: Senegal Vs Guinea (0 - 0) -On 14th January 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.