Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,130 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief (46519 Views)

Super Eagles - The Way Forward / Nigeria’s Super Eagles; The First African Team To Qualify For 2014 World Cup In / Is Keshi's Eagles The Worst Nigerian Team Ever ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by lagtech(m): 3:31pm On Jun 28, 2014
I am watching the World Cup in the United States-on ESPN, ESPN 2 AND ABC. They have world class commentators including
Micheal Ballack
Everton Coach
Ex USA Players
Steve McManaman
Ex Argentina and Brazil players
Gilberto Silva -2002 World Cup winner
Even ex Super Eagles Efan Ekoku is a commentator.

But the insults to Africa by ESPN and the world media is just unbelievable.

1) Micheal Ballack-said clearly that NO African team would make the 2nd round. Well he's been proved wrong.
2) In the Nigeria -Argentina match review-you would think that only Messi and his teammates were on the field-only their goals and plays were reviewed. No mention of Ahmed Musa or Mikel, or Babatunde or Enyema.
3) ESPN constantly shows reviews of matches- in snippets-the exciting moments-not one reference to any African team or player.
4) Yahoo did a review of the teams left -and of course Algeria and Nigeria were bottom. In fact in reviewing Nigeria-this is what Yahoo said:

"The Super Eagles advanced at the expense of Bosnia-Herzegovina, which were a much better team in the group stages. Life, she is unfair."

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/dt-s-world-cup-power-rankings--france-are-le-top-dog-164601571.html

2 sentences and thats all they could say?Bosnia was better than us? Seriously? -yet we scored 2 goals against Argentina and they did not? Yet we won and they lost?

I know its not about us being black-there are black players the world over-its just a disdain and disrespect for Africa. When people hear of France and Nigeria-they think of records-not man to man. Enyema is the best keeper in France -they dont think of this. The Super Eagles have improved with every match -they dont think of this. Mikel plays with Chelsa -they dont think of this. Ahmed Musa-played as good as Messi on Wednesday-they dont think of this.
In fact the only time Nigeria got extended mention was to sympathize with us over the Boko Haram bombing of Wednesday and wondering how it would affect the players.

I know that Africa still lacks behind Europe and South America in records-but we have world class players playing in Europe-are we not worth at least 1 minute mention in a 5 minute segment? Guess without winning the world cup or at least 2 African teams getting to the Semi Finals in two consecutive world cups-they will always consider us as "waka pass" .

153 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 28, 2014
Winning the world cup could prove them wrong so we should work on that.

25 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by mstik(f): 3:40pm On Jun 28, 2014
I noticed no.2 and it pissed me off. The way they underestimate Africans! It just makes me mad. I just wish Nigeria wins this worldcup and it will really rub it in their face that Africans are truly powerful. Other countries may be stronger, but our success would really be a huge blow in their bigoted behind.

47 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by hollandis(f): 3:46pm On Jun 28, 2014
I am in lourve with this post kiss

12 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by zizazizu: 4:00pm On Jun 28, 2014
I was on Fifa website for about 3 hours and noticed their picture gallery of the whole world cup had about 10 african pictures and over 200 pictures of others. The fake fair play that Fifa says it supports is obviously for the television cameras.

22 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by henrychubayo: 4:08pm On Jun 28, 2014
I believe that more slots given to us is an added advantage. So what we can do is pressure Fifa to reduce the slots for Europe and increase the ones for Africa. Once this is done, we will see teams gong all the way. We can not rate africa and Europe the same way if we do not have Equality. For ones, let's push that every continent should get the same number of slots in Fifa competition. That is equality and from there, we will see what happens. Let the Caf Administrators push for these. We seriously need it tat way. Atleast I know that Africa has moore countries than Europe.

26 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by RoyalRoy(m): 4:19pm On Jun 28, 2014
Good point Op.

Have you also considered the way the refer to Africa as if we are just one country?

"Asamoah Gyan is the highest goal scorer in Africa with 6 goals in the World Cup"

"We expect the Africans to play a defensive football...... that was a reference to Nigeria before the Argentina match"

So disgusting sometimes when all the records of Messi or Muller was not combined and named as an European record or a south americn record.

Can't blame them much though.... we really need to improve on our ratings and increase our presence at decision making in FIFA so we can correct all these anomalies.

37 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 28, 2014
well when our players refuse to train after qualifying for second round in a world cup because of money what do you expect?

you cant ask for respect when you have no respect for you self.

74 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by Goke7: 5:02pm On Jun 28, 2014
mikeansy: well when our players refuse to train after qualifying for second round in a world cup because of money what do you expect?

very true but then we still deserve some respect from these guys, that's too unfair anyway just if the eagles win france om monday, their tongues will change

7 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by Dospix(m): 5:08pm On Jun 28, 2014
I really don't think we should keep whimpering about the worlds proclivity to always look down on Africa's achievement. The best way we can reply their NEGATIVISM towards AFRICA is by encouraging our football team to do better in the world cup. Africans lackluster performance in previous competitions has helped to concretized their wrong perception that record says it all in football...i expect the super Eagles to let the world know that AFRICA is no push over...SUPER EAGLES ALL THE WAY***

32 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by teebun: 5:09pm On Jun 28, 2014
Musa's goals were better than messi's goals IMO.
Yet they keep showing messi's goals over and over again.
While musa isnt given any aknowledgement.

35 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by lagtech(m): 5:17pm On Jun 28, 2014
Royal Roy: Good point Op.

Have you also considered the way the refer to Africa as if we are just one country?

"Asamoah Gyan is the highest goal scorer in Africa with 6 goals in the World Cup"

"We expect the Africans to play a defensive football...... that was a reference to Nigeria before the Argentina match"

So disgusting sometimes when all the records of Mess I or Muller is not combined and named as an European record or a south americn record.

Can't blame them much though.... we need to improve on our ratings and presence at decision making so we can correct all these anomalies.

Yes I heard that Gyna comment too!

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by lagtech(m): 5:24pm On Jun 28, 2014
mikeansy: well when our players refuse to train after qualifying for second round in a world cup because of money what do you expect?

But France almost did worse than that at the 2010 World Cup-yet they still have respect.

Luis suarez bit somewhere and both him and his country Uruguay still have respect.

England fans used to kill opposing fans before the 1985 EUFA massacare where 45 people where killed and England has never won a World Cup aside from 1996 when they hosted and Pele was injured in the Quarter final-yet they have respect.

11 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by MrMac10(m): 5:28pm On Jun 28, 2014
Respect is reciprocal, when Africans always act like uncivilized animals, what do you expect

7 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by lagtech(m): 5:39pm On Jun 28, 2014
Mr Mac-10:
Respect is reciprocal, when Africans always act like uncivilized animals, what do you expect

But which 'Africans" behaved like animals?

Kanu
Abedi Pele
Roger Mila
Okocha
Odegbemi
Yekini
Eto
Fish
Diouf

@Seun
You
Me

Nigerians
Camerounians
South Africans
Egyptians

And what country are these people from who did crazy things at the world cup

Zidane-head butted someone at the Final
Pepe-head butt
Suarez-bit someone
Mardonna-used Cocaine

All human beings can act like animals-white-black-red-yellow-blue-pink-men-women-Africans-Europeans-Americans-Asians

188 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by pat077: 5:57pm On Jun 28, 2014
lagtech:

Yes I heard that Gyna comment too!
oga lagtech, we're waiting 4 u @ ur station.

5 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by Kenneth205(m): 5:57pm On Jun 28, 2014
Lol.... #BringOurCupJor

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by Kenneth205(m): 5:58pm On Jun 28, 2014
Hmmmmmm ...Am comminq.
Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by coded01: 5:58pm On Jun 28, 2014
What do you expect from white folks? embarassed

Unfortunately, what we do to ourselves here alone is embarrassing! Insulting each other here and there! condemning the country anyhow... angry

Until we prove them wrong, we wont be regarded... cool

11 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by greall1: 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2014
Welcome back nairaland.

5 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by mascot87(m): 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2014
Nigeria will win d world cup to prove them wrong

17 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2014
See wuna face African Champions... Abeg bring our Cup.
Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by borga112(m): 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2014
Only Algeria will make Africa proud.

France 5 - mumu republic of naija 0

grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jun 28, 2014
And you honestly think, STATISTICALLY, these claims are wrong PARANOIA
Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by 3coins(m): 6:00pm On Jun 28, 2014
Mr Mac-10:
iidiot

14 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by MrMac10(m): 6:01pm On Jun 28, 2014
Africans hate,despise, and look down on each other . What do you expect the Europeans to think about Us . Samuel eto summed it up by saying African leaders are the problem of the continent

12 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by dayleke: 6:03pm On Jun 28, 2014
Bro.,I just watch the matches on the Spanish channel(s).
I don't understand or speak Spanish except "Goooooooaaaaaalllllll!!!!!!!!!"
Thereby I don't get to hear or see their bigotry.
I run the play by play in my mind by ma self .
FORGET ESPN or ABC or any one of them......

10 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 28, 2014
Mtcheeeew!!
Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by Guykhena(m): 6:04pm On Jun 28, 2014

Is that an insult or are they just saying facts?
Let's be sincere for once smiley

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by EagleScribes: 6:05pm On Jun 28, 2014
And what has CAF done to curb all these? I think Africa and Africans itself needs to put their house in order. Let's develop our own thing devoid of corruption and sentiments. Who says we can't shut their mouths up?

5 Likes

Re: Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief by Mistermamus(m): 6:05pm On Jun 28, 2014
I don't blame them wen d black race don't do anytin positive atall and behave like animals & uncivilised ppl. wat do u expect so free dem

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jesse Lingard And Pedro Neto Bust-up After West Ham Win Match (Photos) / Jesse Lingard's Cars And His Trademark Custom Touches / Bursaspor Vs Fenerbahce: Smoking 36-Year-Old Man Thought To Be A 'Child'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.