Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,546 members, 7,819,940 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? (14885 Views)

Photo: Parents Be Careful (viewers Discretion Strongly Adviced) / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? / Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by ignis: 10:18pm On Apr 04, 2022
ofcourse
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by bamsand: 10:19pm On Apr 04, 2022
This one is deep

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by tuzle(m): 10:20pm On Apr 04, 2022
Gloriagee:
No, except they failed while rearing the kids.
as the child
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by everythinggirly(f): 10:23pm On Apr 04, 2022
What did u call it again? "Adult children" even in the Bible, from the old testament, from 18 yrs and above were accountable for their actions. Tho I can't remember the story that much.
Some parents are even scared of their adult children these days, they rather keep quiet and observe them do whatever they feel like doing.

At the end of it all, everyone is running their race.

Hit me up for your academic research writing services!
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by lildonn222: 10:25pm On Apr 04, 2022
It's complicated.Parents have a lot to play in molding the behaviours of their children but it doesn't always went well.Some children will be trouble makers no matter what the parents did.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by bennybuhari: 10:25pm On Apr 04, 2022
Waoh...a 2013 post just made it to front page in 2022. There is hope for Nigeria

the answer is NO!

4 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by staga: 10:25pm On Apr 04, 2022
Should the underwear bomber's parents be held accountable for his actions? He was given the best any parent could offer a child, yet he decided to piss it all away. Once a child is of age, he or she is purely accountable for his or her own actions. After all, are there no other children who are well behaved in such families?

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Maynman: 10:26pm On Apr 04, 2022
Zurex:
That's only for computers, God gave us the "Will Power" a child can or is liable to choose his/her path

God is all knowing and still gave us free Will, how come?
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by dave601: 10:29pm On Apr 04, 2022
Prov.22.6 - Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 04, 2022
BakersWorld:
Once a child is a certain age whether the parents raised him or her well or not, the child has a choice of which way to go. As they say. You can lead a donky to the river but you cant force the donkey to drink. So no, parents should not be held accountable for their adult children.

if you raise a child well, there is only so much deviation that can occur. I have never seen anyone say he/she comes from a bad home or he /she wasnt raised right but many of them that we all say to ourselves privately this one wasnt raised well or does not come from a good home. If you are raised well you will always retrace your steps if you deviate or have boundaries.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by DonBenny77(m): 10:32pm On Apr 04, 2022
"If e good na your own oh!
If e bad na you make am so"
grin
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Apr 04, 2022
Parents should not be held accountable to adults children misdeed unless there is an evidence that they are in cohort and the parents are harbouring him or her

Our society always attribute children behaviour to their parents especially women.
There's an adage in Yoruba language which translates a good child belongs to the father while the bad one belongs to the mother
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Divoc19(f): 10:38pm On Apr 04, 2022
Somehow. Yes.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by winner37(m): 10:39pm On Apr 04, 2022
We have the choice to live in a moral way and still the choice to act as devil. Parents shouldn't be blame if their child misbehaved .
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Terrier99: 10:40pm On Apr 04, 2022
No, neighbours should be held accountable.
Rubbish.

You refused to train your child properly, you're now trying to escape culpability when the animal you trained has attained adulthood.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Camelot65: 10:40pm On Apr 04, 2022
2013's thread?? Wonders grin grin
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by ukzenlumbs(m): 10:42pm On Apr 04, 2022
Reality speaking, some are the parents while the majority is the children. Especially at the adolescent age, they feel that all things are in a roller coaster ride.
Abegi no put blame on parents, children are the major cause for their influential character
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Onyenku3(m): 10:48pm On Apr 04, 2022
Please I need help. Loan sharks are killing me.
I borrowed money from three loan apps to trade c.r.y.p.t.o, hoping to pay back with the proceeds. The projects I invested in turned out to be scams. Now I've defaulted. These people have been sending defamatory messages to my contacts. They call me every minute of the day.
Pls help me repay them.
8719548018 FCMB.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by stanliwise(m): 10:53pm On Apr 04, 2022
Any child above 18 is totally responsible for his or her own actions.

I know people who raised their kids properly, but they grew and transformed into something that's entirely different from what their parents envisioned. I can't blame their parents. They gave it their best. The blame is 100% on the so called child.

The parents cannot come and kill themselves.

The only time anyone can apportion any blame to the parents is when they didn't raise the child well in the first place. Like, encouraging the kids to bully others. Encouraging petty stealing, etc.
100% of the responsibility not 100% their fault
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Poleski: 10:55pm On Apr 04, 2022
greatgod2012:
Input determines output!

It doesn't always happen that way. I knew people who were raised well and still ended up on the wrong side of the law.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by OneKinGuy(m): 10:57pm On Apr 04, 2022
Da Bleep is the meaning of adult children
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by stanliwise(m): 10:57pm On Apr 04, 2022
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Yes... Because many adults wey dey misbehave na as a result of the fact that the parents actually failed to impact good behaviors on dem when dem dey young........In some cases self,you go see where pikin go do bad thing,him papa go para to the extent of say he wor beat am,but the mama go stand her ground say make the papa no touch her pikin undecided

Read the topic again. The word is "accountable". in other words like who dem suppose hold say adult go do something.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Flairoqy(m): 10:59pm On Apr 04, 2022
We are all a product of our environment regardless of our roots.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by RexTramadol1: 11:01pm On Apr 04, 2022
The children are a result of whatever their parents have instilled in them in their formative years

When a parent decides to be too strict, the children will suffer the consequence

When a parent is unavailable to the kids, there is consequence

When a parent is over protective, there is a consequence

When a parent has no values, it has ripple effects on the child

Parents have that opportunity to mould their kids while they are still tender, young and going about with dogmas like my daddy said I must not do this, my mummy said I will have bad dreams if I do this etal

By the time they start knowing these stories you tell them are fictitious, it will be difficult to go into project restart.

Nigeria is worse today due to bad parenting.

If each parent had trained their wards well, the society won’t be in the kind of decay it has found itself in today.

If a child excels at 18+, the parents will go about spreading the good news

So if they fail, they should also be made to bear the brunt alongside their useless children.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Explicits(m): 11:08pm On Apr 04, 2022
Yes!
Definitely!
Parents should be accountable for it
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Munzy14(m): 11:08pm On Apr 04, 2022
Ndipe:
It's very embarrassing for any law abiding parent to have a wayward child out of fear that their good name would be dragged in the mud by their actions. Back in Nigeria, the adult son of a high ranking church official was suspected of breaking into my alma mata's chapel and looting items, much to the consternation of my relatives, who wondered breathlessly, "What of his parents"? I simply brushed his involvement aside because of his notorious reputation on campus. It got so worse that according to one of my school mates, his father had threatened to disown him, much to his wife's chagrin (the guy's mom) who cried. Not long ago, a prominent man's daughter recently got a divorce and one of my friends said something to the effect that since her father holds a prominent position in the Church, then perhaps, he ought to have done something (I have forgotten exactly how he paraphrased it, but he sort of held her father accountable particularly since the girl gave birth while she was still a teenager. I disagreed with him.

And my question is this: Should parents be held accountable for the bad actions of their adult children?
Yes...Backed by Proverb 22:6
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Gkemz: 11:09pm On Apr 04, 2022
Yes because they failed to raise them well at the tentative stages of their lives. If you fail to prune a tree when it's within or beneath your reach, you'd have to bear the consequences and responsibility for failing to do what you ought to do.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by stamapro(m): 11:15pm On Apr 04, 2022
Yes of course, at what age does a child stop being one to his parents? 18 my foot, as a family man, when am with my parents am still their boy, even in front of my children. They rebuke me where need be. No matter how old I became my parents still have a say over me. Call it whatever. It it's called parenting. Even though they trained me well, they still monitor to see how I turn out in life.

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by ashewoboy(m): 11:22pm On Apr 04, 2022
No. They should not be held responsible. An adult could deviate from the crap he/she has been fed all his/her life.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by masterpiecer(m): 11:32pm On Apr 04, 2022
IMO, i think parents should be held accountable because the bible says : "train up a child in the way he should go and when he's grown, he would not depart from it"...

I personally believe in values, instilled value are very difficult to erase, even when an adult child intend to derail, values will always bring them back.

NB.
Most times parents ignorantly raise children in wrong ways to the detriment of their ward, ( even some pastors) and it mostly comes out strong when they (the wards) start approaching adulthood. Descipline and love should be give in right proportion when raising children.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Alarming Rate Of Teenage Pregnancy In Rural Areas / Wife Needed - Anyone Around The Corner - Seriously Searching / Original Men Clothing And Accessories Lowest Wholesale Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.