Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? (14887 Views)

Photo: Parents Be Careful (viewers Discretion Strongly Adviced) / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? / Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by EmzyT: 11:37pm On Apr 04, 2022
2013 post hitting front page in 2022? shocked

Pikin wey Dem born by that time don grow finish by now oo undecided undecided

If na topic wey Concern SNAKE now, before you know it, them don move am enter front page!

Stvpid mods sad angry
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by drlateef: 12:05am On Apr 05, 2022
You might as well call them from the grave to account for the behaviour of their 90 year old son or daughter.

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by MT: 12:09am On Apr 05, 2022
Mercychen:
Yes. Because a badly behaved child is usually the outcome of failed parenting.
Even the Bible makes it clear when it says "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he grows up, he'll never depart from it."

When a child ( be it an adult or small child) turns out badly, it's because the parents did not guide them on the right path in life.

Most parents today just bear children but are never actively involved in their upbringing. They leave them to either house helps or grannies who are too weak to handle them properly. Worst still, they send them to boarding schools where they go and join other bad eggs from uncultured homes.

Now, how do you expect such a child to turn out well?

Parents take 90% of the blame or praise for how a child turns out in life.

Read what you wrote: "Usually" not "Always"
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by chocboi78(m): 12:37am On Apr 05, 2022
perambulator:

if you raise a child well, there is only so much deviation that can occur. I have never seen anyone say he/she comes from a bad home or he /she wasnt raised right but many of them that we all say to ourselves privately this one wasnt raised well or does not come from a good home. If you are raised well you will always retrace your steps if you deviate or have boundaries.
how would u explain a family of 4 well behaved children and one black sheep
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Cousin9999: 12:43am On Apr 05, 2022
chocboi78:
how would u explain a family of 4 well behaved children and one black sheep

Hidden dysfunction.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by nextstep(m): 1:07am On Apr 05, 2022
Seeing some real OGs on this 2013 thread. Wawu! grin
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Ndipe(m): 1:31am On Apr 05, 2022
The mother of the notorious armed robber, Lawrence Anini, narrated to journalists the inhumane torture she endured by the policemen because of her son's atrocities probably to coerce her into revealing his whereabouts. Now, was it her fault that her son became a robber that she should be tortured?
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by 2braithe: 1:54am On Apr 05, 2022
Ndipe:
The mother of the notorious armed robber, Lawrence Anini, narrated to journalists the inhumane torture she endured by the policemen because of her son's atrocities probably to coerce her into revealing his whereabouts. Now, was it her fault that her son became a robber that she should be tortured?

She was tortured not as a punishment for her son's crimes but to reveal information to them.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Ndipe(m): 2:08am On Apr 05, 2022
Please why is there hope for Nigeria because this topic I asked in 2013 made the front page of Nairaland? Moreso, what's the big deal if one's topic makes the frontpage or not?

bennybuhari:
Waoh...a 2013 post just made it to front page in 2022. There is hope for Nigeria

the answer is NO!
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by meobizy(f): 2:17am On Apr 05, 2022
Should parents be held accountable for the bad actions of their adult children?
No. Every human has a compass for right and wrong no matter how ill behaved they are. Once your parents fail to lead you the right way and you pass a certain age, it is in the government’s hand to teach you the straight and narrow through places called prison.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Cousin9999: 3:17am On Apr 05, 2022
meobizy:
No. Every human has a compass for right and wrong no matter how ill behaved they are. Once your parents fail to lead you the right way and you pass a certain age, it is in the government’s hand to teach you the straight and narrow through places called prison.

Some children are abused so badly that it affects their mental health and ability to function. Some are so haunted by abuse that they find it hard to function, and hard drugs are the only thing bringing them relief.

Some parents abuse their children in various ways that force them out on the street at a young age. These parents never gave these kids or young adults the skills, education, or resources to survive. And being so young, various people then take advantage of them. This makes a challenging situation far worse.

These people are failed not only by parents, but their country.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Franking: 4:19am On Apr 05, 2022
Ordinarily at the age of consent which differs from country to country every child is responsible for his actions.

However if u help in indoctrinating ur child, say in a church, mosque or cult, then u are partly responsible for his/her actions therefrom.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by ArcGibson(m): 4:24am On Apr 05, 2022
The early life of a child is very crucial cos it has impact on a child's behavior as he or she is growing up into adulthood or when the child starts to make decisions on itself. There are some factors that determine a child's behavior later in life:

Nurture (parenting)
Culture (believe and Way of life of set of group)
Society (like country one is born)
Environment ( geographical or particular area)
Bad or good governance ( Of any society)

And mostly, the ''devil'' in every child.

Likewise, Religion also has impact.

The environment has a greater impact no matter the nurture but a strong and strict culture and nurture from parenting can tame it. It is the responsibility of the parent to guide a child on the right path when young.

There's an adage that says: ''A ti kékeré ni a un ti pe igi ìrókò, ti o ba dàgbà tan, apa o ni le ka''

Simply means when a tree is young, it can easily be controlled the way you want it to bend but when it gets old, it will be difficult to do so.

But we should not forget that it is the environment that plays a major role in a child's life. A child's behavior is the reflection of any society. Also a child's behavior is a reflection of good or bad parenting. The inner force (home) must be greater than the outer forces (environment and society) in the upbringing of a child cos a home is the root and that's why they say charity begins from home...

Every child has a devil inside him or her. A child is liable to lie, steal... even when not taught. It's easier to pick and display some bad vices than good virtues.
So if the devil in every child is left untamed as a result of bad parenting from home, it will explode to join the seen and unseen forces from the society and environment. So parents should not spare rod in correcting a child's waywardness early in life and letting the child understand th choice of bad decisions repeatedly.

So *mostly* parents should be held accountable for their adult children's behavioral display.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by otunbateejay(m): 4:50am On Apr 05, 2022
Good morning everyone Ramadan Kareem to you all.... u see our fire father use to say then we will revenge father or mother sins from there children so do good so that ur children can see good in life.. Omode bu Iroko ijokan ko ni Oluwere Mawo paa I rest my case #It's very embarrassing for any law abiding parent to have a wayward child out of fear that their good name would be dragged in the mud by their actions. Back in Nigeria, the adult son of a high ranking church official was suspected of breaking into my alma mata's chapel and looting items, much to the consternation of my relatives, who wondered breathlessly, "What of his parents"? I simply brushed his involvement aside because of his notorious reputation on campus. It got so worse that according to one of my school mates, his father had threatened to disown him, much to his wife's chagrin (the guy's mom) who cried. Not long ago, a prominent man's daughter recently got a divorce and one of my friends said something to the effect that since her father holds a prominent position in the Church, then perhaps, he ought to have done something (I have forgotten exactly how he paraphrased it, but he sort of held her father accountable particularly since the girl gave birth while she was still a teenager. I disagreed with him.

And my question is this: Should parents be held accountable for the bad actions of their adult children?[/quote]
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Eddygre8(m): 4:57am On Apr 05, 2022
If the foundation is faulty no one can fix not even the teacher
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Reference(m): 6:05am On Apr 05, 2022
Yes. Absolutely.
Makes them think twice when they go to bed at night.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Matrixlord2021: 6:36am On Apr 05, 2022
Mercychen:
Yes. Because a badly behaved child is usually the outcome of failed parenting.
Even the Bible makes it clear when it says "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he grows up, he'll never depart from it."

When a child ( be it an adult or small child) turns out badly, it's because the parents did not guide them on the right path in life.
You are partly right,the environment has apart to play in a child's upbringing also.
Most parents today just bear children but are never actively involved in their upbringing. They leave them to either house helps or grannies who are too weak to handle them properly. Worst still, they send them to boarding schools where they go and join other bad eggs from uncultured homes.

Now, how do you expect such a child to turn out well?

Parents take 90% of the blame or praise for how a child turns out in life.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by TyroneP(m): 6:42am On Apr 05, 2022
Yea, you're right. Mental Capacity Legislation in some countries considers 16 years as legal age and irrespective of what s/he might have done in the commission or omission relating to crime, s/he will be punished.

Any child above 18 is totally responsible for his or her own actions.

I know people who raised their kids properly, but they grew and transformed into something that's entirely different from what their parents envisioned. I can't blame their parents. They gave it their best. The blame is 100% on the so called child.

The parents cannot come and kill themselves.

The only time anyone can apportion any blame to the parents is when they didn't raise the child well in the first place. Like, encouraging the kids to bully others. Encouraging petty stealing, etc.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by kingyakos: 7:07am On Apr 05, 2022
Ndipe:
It's very embarrassing for any law abiding parent to have a wayward child out of fear that their good name would be dragged in the mud by their actions. Back in Nigeria, the adult son of a high ranking church official was suspected of breaking into my alma mata's chapel and looting items, much to the consternation of my relatives, who wondered breathlessly, "What of his parents"? I simply brushed his involvement aside because of his notorious reputation on campus. It got so worse that according to one of my school mates, his father had threatened to disown him, much to his wife's chagrin (the guy's mom) who cried. Not long ago, a prominent man's daughter recently got a divorce and one of my friends said something to the effect that since her father holds a prominent position in the Church, then perhaps, he ought to have done something (I have forgotten exactly how he paraphrased it, but he sort of held her father accountable particularly since the girl gave birth while she was still a teenager. I disagreed with him.

And my question is this: Should parents be held accountable for the bad actions of their adult children?

Proverbs 22:6 (KJV) Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Sharatan(m): 8:23am On Apr 05, 2022
Gloriagee:
No, except they failed while rearing the kids.

You don’t rear children, they are not animals. You groom them.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Charly68: 8:41am On Apr 05, 2022
I will answer this question by asking a question.. Can God be held accountable for the behavior of his sons and daughters in the Lord . ?
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Hathor5(f): 8:50am On Apr 05, 2022
No, this is why they are called adult.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by meobizy(f): 10:22am On Apr 05, 2022
Cousin9999:

Some children are abused so badly that it affects their mental health and ability to function. Some are so haunted by abuse that they find it hard to function, and hard drugs are the only thing bringing them relief.

Some parents abuse their children in various ways that force them out on the street at a young age. These parents never gave these kids or young adults the skills, education, or resources to survive. And being so young, various people then take advantage of them. This makes a challenging situation far worse.

These people are failed not only by parents, but their country.
Yet thou shall not kill is an unwritten rule everybody knows. If their lives are so bad they’ll find redemption in prison.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Tundex911: 2:21pm On Apr 05, 2022
Pressure group nko?

Society too nko??

Wo, factors too much jor

Peace ✌️
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Ndipe(m): 6:54pm On Apr 05, 2022
Alex Kelly of Connecticut was found guilty of rape back in the 80's. Just before he was to go on trial, he escaped and spent seven years on the lam evading the law. He only surrendered in Switzerland when his parents who were financially supporting him though according to news reports were not aware of his location, were charged with obstruction. Thereafter, he was extradited to the US and subsequently imprisoned. Here, we have parents who knowingly connived in obstructing justice until they were charged that the son gave up and faced the music for his past misdeeds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Kelly_(rapist)

Now, do you support the governor of Lagos decision to convict parents whose children are cultist on Nigerian campus? There are parents who have absolutely no clue that their wards in college belong to cults and are usually devastated when their children are arrested and imprisoned. Should such parents also face the wrath of the law as well?
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Cousin9999: 7:05pm On Apr 05, 2022
meobizy:
Yet thou shall not kill is an unwritten rule everybody knows. If their lives are so bad they’ll find redemption in prison.

That's true, but people living on the streets are regularly dealing with life or death situations. They have no protection. They may never desire in their life to hurt anyone, but their hand is forced. Bad parents can put people there.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Alienhunter: 8:07pm On Apr 05, 2022
Responsible parents don't wait to be held accountable for anything. They simply take responsibility and spare the child that drama and awkwardness.

You know how older ladies started a campaign about how age is nothing but a number? Yes, likewise adults have no rights to trace any problems to the legit source and call a spade a spade. *Cough
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by meobizy(f): 2:55am On Apr 06, 2022
Cousin9999:

That's true, but people living on the streets are regularly dealing with life or death situations. They have no protection. They may never desire in their life to hurt anyone, but their hand is forced. Bad parents can put people there.
So, we’ll go on a roundabout debate where you’ll claim bad parents while I claim prison will sort things out? I don’t have the time nor mental fortitude.
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Cousin9999: 4:37am On Apr 06, 2022
meobizy:
So, we’ll go on a roundabout debate where you’ll claim bad parents while I claim prison will sort things out? I don’t have the time nor mental fortitude.

I get you.

However, prison is traumatic. And most prisons are designed to punish and exploit, not rehabilitate. People may also come out bigger criminals as a result of no resources after prison and forced criminal activity in prison. If they were already suffering before prison, it's likely to just make it worse. They may walk in clean, and leave with a drug problem (coping).
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by meobizy(f): 2:02pm On Apr 07, 2022
Cousin9999:

I get you.

However, prison is traumatic. And most prisons are designed to punish and exploit, not rehabilitate. People may also come out bigger criminals as a result of no resources after prison and forced criminal activity in prison. If they were already suffering before prison, it's likely to just make it worse. They may walk in clean, and leave with a drug problem (coping).
You get time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Alarming Rate Of Teenage Pregnancy In Rural Areas / Wife Needed - Anyone Around The Corner - Seriously Searching / What Do You Do When You Are Angry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.