Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development (4687 Views)

Onyema Responds To Buhari's Critics Over Assets Declaration Not Made Public / Osinbajo Chides Jonathan For Attending OIC Meeting / Presidency Chides Fashola Over Attack On Jonathan. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by Hardfact: 10:20pm On Feb 01, 2013
Borrowing? Lagos? We should embrace it with both hands? Maybe Gov Fashola's boys on NL should please come tell the house with solid reasons, how it makes so much sense to now go borrowing. Fashola always' getting it right? Like Fash's genuiness faded away after his first four year, for real!
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by obi2012: 11:40pm On Feb 01, 2013
Seriously, i stopped reading after you mentioned Marwa..

You are talking about business.. Do businesses just flood a place overnight? Right now, he is laying the foundation for businesses to come in.. You guys are always complaining about the common man and that he is catering towards the wealthy people.. Everyone wants free handout's.. Investors are interested in proper infrastructure like good roads, projects like Lekki free trade zone and such.. Projects like that lay the foundation for the economy to grow since they attract foreign investors.. Internal generated revenue cant support such growth at once.. No wise person will limit all their cashflow by using it all up on infrastructure. You borrow at a reasonable rate that you can pay back and use your cash for internal expenditures and salaries. How can you mention Marwa? You wont see the full effect of fashola's work while he is in office..

kennytidistar:

look at the way you just massacre your self, ok, i dont know for how long you have been in lagos. But as for me in terms of development and good governance major buba marwa did exceedingly well not all the propaganda you have from fashola today, i was born in lagos, so you cant tell me anything about lagos i dont know i school in lagos and serve there and i am also working in lagos, that is why i'm supprise when some of you come here and rant nonsense, which business are you talking about? Is it the business that has been in lagos even before fashola was born? If there has not been fed govt home in lagos in the past where will he get s igr we need to be sincere with our selves this time around somebody patch road and you are praising him, is it not his responsibility to do that? He is been paid a salary from my tax, i should even charge to do more without loan.
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by Kairoseki77: 1:53am On Feb 02, 2013
teskyg: Fashola is clueless if he can't use the IGR with the federal Govt subvention to build infrastructure.You can imajine the IGR generated from Ikeja,Apapa and Lagos Island compare with the level of Infrastructures in those areas.Every body who lives in Lagos see how Lagos state politicians play with those revenue generated.If huge percent of IGR generated in Lagos does not find its way to the pocket of Tinubu and his cronies,Lagos does not need to borrow.Fashola 100 Laptop Dogs who have sold their lives for a pot of porige litter nairaland with senceless defence comment but deep in us lies the truth.

You mad?
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by EkoIle1: 4:16am On Feb 02, 2013
My Critics Are Ignorant, says Gov. Fashola

Posted By On February 1, 2013 @ 3:04 pm In Metro,News | 5 Comments

By Kazeem Ugbodaga
[b]
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Nigeria’s Lagos State says those criticizing his administration over its debt profile are ignorant people and voodoo economists.

Fashola spoke while on a statewide tour of ongoing projects in Badagry area of Lagos, Southwest Nigeria. The governor said the critics did not know the intention of government which made it to borrow to finance capital projects.

“They are un-informed voodoo economists. We are seeing a rehash of an old plan. They are voodoo economists. This was the same plan during the tenure of my predecessor, saying Lagos has mortgaged its future for 50 years when the first Bond was taken. The initial N50 billion bond my administration took has paid off. When we took the bond, many said we had mortgaged the state for 50 years, but we have paid that.

“The other that we took is due for repayment, the amount in the consolidated debt service account is about N62 billion as at December last year. The liability that we have is N50 billion and is not due until next year, by which time the amount in the debt service account will reduce,” he explained.

Fashola stated that the state had shown that it had the capacity to pay its debt, adding that this is why I have chosen to ignore all those voodoo economists, that is why they are in the opposition and they will never get government because clearly, it’s dangerous from the way they are talking, they don’t know what the economics of governance is.”[/b]

Explaining the rationale behind the state’s budget, Fashola stated that the demands which the state government got before its budget from various communities, roads, schools amounted to about N750 billion but because the administration knew that it could not generate N750 billion, it had to scale the budget down to around N497 billion which was over and above what it could reasonably foresee

“We are aspirational and ready to take on bigger challenges than our realities show because that for me must be part of what governance entails. It is about being audacious and forward thinking.”

“The only reason why we are working hard is how to bridge that deficit in a sustainable way, raise the money, collect the taxes from those who are hiding, who don’t want to contribute and also prepare for the generation that is coming behind.”

“As we are here, new children have arrived, some people just got married this morning, in nine months’ time you will get the results. Some are also leaving school; somebody is in the lands registry for a land transaction.

“I have to plan for all that. So if it’s just this kobo, kobo economics that they are thinking, it won’t happen. China just borrowed $640 billion to build the world’s fastest rail and create jobs in its economy. So I have chosen to ignore them,” he added.
[b]
On the on-going construction of Slave Market and other tourism development projects of the government in Badagry, Fashola said it was all about tourism as it represented one of the historical sites that Nigerians pay money to visit in other parts of the world.

“What you would see on the beach front ultimately is opportunity for the people of Badagry to show all of their skills. All of our people who sell fabrics, batik, who make dresses and beads which are all products from the skills centres,” he said.

The governor emphasized that it would be a big market ultimately for the sale of souvenirs for the people of Badagry and for the people of the state where tourists could benefit , eat the local delicasies such that people in the culinary business could set up businesses as part of efforts at waking up the economy.

Speaking on what transpired during the inspection, Governor Fashola said work on the Magistrate and High Court complex is not moving as quickly as he would like but that the contractor has promised to finish it by April this year.[/b]

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/02/01/my-critics-are-ignorant-says-gov-fashola/print/
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by kennytidistar(m): 7:45am On Feb 02, 2013
I think it is time a comprehensive investigative work is carry out in all agencies, schools, parastatals that has direct and indirect finacial relationship with lagos state, we will soon know who is ignorant. Maybe is the populace or the state governor who feel no body else have the knowledge of governance before the governor him self will be summon, laughing in etigi.

All this his media agent like eko ile author of pm news and the nation will soon bow their heads in shame by the time the truth is unveil. What a liar and a controversial governor.
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by vanunu: 10:38am On Feb 02, 2013
Mr Fash, Your civil service is one of the most corrupt in the country and you can't even do any thing about it, unlike Edo and Imo state governors, It is a big shame

1 Like

Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by naturalwaves: 4:28pm On Feb 02, 2013
Eko Ile:

We can do this like adults. Any issue about loans, it's usage and terms are public records on the state's website for us all to see. Even with all that, it still doesn't mean people like you wont find issues where it doesn't exist.

The fact is, the state's credit ratings is great, the state is not bankrupt or anywhere close to such so all your noise is pretty much pointless, but I'm not here to debate your issues about loans, I'm more interested in your Marwa claim that I highlighted.

Your Marwa claim against Fashola was bogus and irresponsible simply because there is a huge gape between both men in terms of development and the state of Lagos.

Now, we can do this like adults and I'm rightfully assuming that you are an adult.

So let's do each other a favor by supporting our claims with facts and also by listing side by side each man's accomplishments.

Would you like to go first?

See massacre!!!! cheesy "Eko Ile" don finish person o.grin Go first ke? The guy no go come back again. Na so dem dey run comot wen person don deal with them. This is definately "the last straw".

*Not only did you pass through School, School passed through you as well. Bravo! cool
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by mapet: 5:45pm On Feb 02, 2013
1. I have grossly over-estimated you......I'll only advise you to go seek some more knowledge, as you're giving yourself away, trying to reason beyond your capacity......nutshell, you're hardly making sense
2. Take an appraisal of a state and tell me the anticidents of their top commissioners and special assistants not to talk of the governor.............
3. In fact this is a waste of my time.......
kennytidistar:

My friend they are not the same that is why most of you misused power because you assume governing a state is the same as managing a business, what is your line of discipline? No wonder we have bunch of fools ruling us. That is why there are training for public office holder is only a psychologically means of remodelling or repositioning there mind, if you are thinking you can manage a public office like your fathers business change you mind today, is not as simple as you think.
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by mapet: 5:55pm On Feb 02, 2013
1. I believe the challenge is first for any government in Lagos State to explore and fully exploit the legitimate opportunities of IGR. If you ask me, we're still at less than 25% of the potential.
2. Lagos State has demonstrated her capacity to tap the best human managers at its top echeolon to manage it's resources and I'm pretty confident that they'll maximize all the opportunities.
3. What I believe we should all collectively contribute to the commonwealth of Lagos is the ability to self-sustain. SMEs must go viral, Industries must be resuscitated, Capaital projects must deliver value, Citizens must pay taxes, corruption must be tackled.
4. I find Lagos comparable to Ghana, who have taken the gauntlet to self-sustain and be profitable. Ghana is one of the few countries that were not affected by the recent global recession. Once Ghana guaranteed basic investment ingredient like 24x7 power, lots of industries flooded the country.
5. My point is simply that we are looking at the prism from the wrong perspective, by our latent and apparent fears of cost of funds and ability to pay back. I'd rather we look at the potential of a State like Lagos in the next 10years and work hard at getting there from today onwards.

HNosegbe:

Ok. You've made some good points, especially the part in bold. It's safe to say the jury is still out on the LASG's ability to manage and repay the amounts borrowed (There's a lot riding on that). Let's see if they will allow their debts to spiral out of control, like the FG has done.

Mind you, I'm not against borrowing. Debt is a two-edged sword, it can be good or bad. I'm just saying it's not just about ability to repay, there are other factors to consider.
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by kennytidistar(m): 8:17am On Feb 03, 2013
mapet: 1. I have grossly over-estimated you......I'll only advise you to go seek some more knowledge, as you're giving yourself away, trying to reason beyond your capacity......nutshell, you're hardly making sense
2. Take an appraisal of a state and tell me the anticidents of their top commissioners and special assistants not to talk of the governor.............
3. In fact this is a waste of my time.......

so you dont know the different between and elected governor and a hired professional called commissioner or minister their roles and mission are quite different, if an SSCE holder become a governor the constitution permit and allows it, it doesnt mean he/she is more intelligent or brilliant than those professionals called commissioners or ministers, it is their line of call that is why sometime it beat my imagination when some of the write jargon. So base on the present argument dont compare the management of a state to that of business. They are two different thing, my candid advice for you is to learn to think deeply and stop looking at issue from the surfface and jump to conclusion because there is always different between tomtom and licky licky.
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by kennytidistar(m): 8:24am On Feb 03, 2013
naturalwaves:

See massacre!!!! cheesy "Eko Ile" don finish person o.grin Go first ke? The guy no go come back again. Na so dem dey run comot wen person don deal with them. This is definately "the last straw".

*Not only did you pass through School, School passed through you as well. Bravo! cool

thank you for quoting this, my laptop battery run flat and not as you think, i wouldnt like us to derail this trend since this trend is meant for loan and not for marwa vs fashola, so derailing this trend as eko ile has suggested will only drag this out of it present pictorial outlook. What makes you arrive at such decision? Well, you can as well create a new trend if you want detail analysis of marwa achievement and stop deceiving your self with mere propaganda.

Thank you.
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by kennytidistar(m): 9:43am On Feb 03, 2013
@mapet, i wish the nature of my job as an auditor permit me to explore social media often like this i would have had loads time to monitor and reply your argument but i'm so occupy that i have to explore nairaland only when i'm on bed but nontheless, i will keep saying the truth anytime i'm priviledge to visit nairaland, so when i'm away dont think you had a strong argument but i dont have time.
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by ikeyman00(m): 10:42am On Feb 03, 2013
@@@@

Fas is talking nonesense

complete rubbish

at this time people are cutting down excessive borrowing he has the gut to talk about the ability to pay back without showing the outlines as regard to the fund borrowed

It easy to borrow i guess but turn out a serious wahala when asked the process of paying back

i think there is a lot to explain in plain terms than vodoo way
Re: Fashola Chides Critics Over ‘borrowing For Development by kennytidistar(m): 2:15pm On Feb 03, 2013
ikeyman00: @@@@

Fas is talking nonesense

complete rubbish

at this time people are cutting down excessive borrowing he has the gut to talk about the ability to pay back without showing the outlines as regard to the fund borrowed

It easy to borrow i guess but turn out a serious wahala when asked the process of paying back

i think there is a lot to explain in plain terms than vodoo way

God bless you!
I wonder the type of youth we have here in lagos today, some turn themselves to political tout, dogs attacking who ever ask questions about governance that affect not only them but everybody, imagine some comparing lagos with ghana and USA. How does this correlate? You can compare lagos with accra or kumasi but not a complete country, lagos is just a state in Nigeria like zamfara, yobe, and taraba. I dont know their stress and if fashola knows he is interested in presidency let hi complete his tenure first and if at the end of his tenure as governor he is investigated and found not guilty of any form of office abuse then he can move ahead not by deceiving innocent youth.

Omafi owo abu she abu lalejo.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan's Projects In Rivers State,a Response To Amarchi's Lies And Propaganda / Buari You Have Not Won Yet For Its Not Over. / Enugu Archbishop Prays For Gov. Ugwuanyi, Says His Re-election's A Walkover.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.