Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,666 members, 7,955,405 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:11 AM

Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. (31981 Views)

FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola / INEC Officials Arrested For Mass Thumb Printing In Imo State / Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 2:42pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
If it's a private initiative then i won't fault it. I thought it was going to be a partnership or wholly government initiative.

So you didn't bother to read the article if pay any attention to the endless explanations that this is a private investment? This is why we get into unnecessary arguments, people don't read, they don't make any effort to study or understand the subject matter, they just jump in with their usual criticize first and ask question later.

You people need to stop this madness.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 2:46pm On Feb 05, 2013
talktimi: "If you offer sensible and commendable discussion, I'll respect you and discuss with you accordingly, but not if all you have is silly and made up argument based on nothing but your own grudge against Lagos state".

You talk about me being insecure, well its obvious you're the one suffering from insecurity tendencies since you have to resort to abusive and offensive language in an effort to propagate your arguments. I suggest you go for P.R trainings so you could better serve your boss. Youre acting more like a thug than an intellectual which is quite unfortunate.

Please shut up if you don't have anything better to contribute ... I don't have time for crybabies.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 3:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
Josh090: You know, we keep expecting some things we can never get, for example, some people expect that govt will do something abt how some environment looks...in reality, only the people themselves can change that. We desire to see a beautiful environment but I've long come to the realization that only under a totalitarian society that that is possible(where you can force people to do the right thing of cleaning up).
This is why I don't agree with people who think this project should come later maybe after the whole place looks like paris, which may not occur in this life time, so, what do we do? We must still forge ahead and do what we must.

True talk. God bless you.

It is a basic human reality that you can not better yourself if you are mentally lazy and all you do is defeat yourself even before you try. Imagine the other one saying a $500 million private investment is not a priority. It's crazy what you read on NL.

With backward thinking like these no vision and self defeating people in power, its back to the stone age for us..
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by talktimi(m): 3:44pm On Feb 05, 2013
Eko Ile:

Please shut up if you don't have anything better to contribute ... I don't have time for crybabies.
you shut up you overgrown piece of garbage. Something is definitely wrong with you in the negative
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 4:20pm On Feb 05, 2013
^^^^^^... Cry baby ignored.

Back to topic.

It's extra pleasing that the cable cars are going to be solar paneled for interior and exterior lighting. Imaging lighting up the cable cars with Christmas lighting at Christmas time.

Another first for lagos state.

Eko o ni baje lai lai...
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by aribisala0(m): 4:28pm On Feb 05, 2013
Eko Ile: ^^^^^^... Cry baby ignored.

Back to topic.

It's extra pleasing that the cable cars are going to be solar paneled for interior and exterior lighting. Imaging lighting up the cable cars with Christmas lighting at Christmas time.

Another first for lagos state.

Eko o ni baje lai lai...
Ti won ba bi awon Imolebi re oloriburuku ti won ma ku iku were re ko tun quote mi
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Mogidi: 4:32pm On Feb 05, 2013
@Eko Ile

I think Eko Ile earned his bacon on this one.

I mean defending the indefensible is not always a laudable gesture considering he's been working from page 1 (come on), I throway salute jare.

My advice to you has always been to squeeze every monetary juice from the Fashola government, if you don't Tinubu will.

Oga mi later.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 5:13pm On Feb 05, 2013
^^^...useless attention seeking villagers. I've heard it all so you clowns can save your dumb rubbish....lol
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Roseart: 5:22pm On Feb 05, 2013
Mogidi: @Eko Ile

I think Eko Ile earned his bacon on this one.

I mean defending the indefensible is not always a laudable gesture considering he's been working from page 1 (come on), I throway salute jare.

My advice to you has always been to squeeze every monetary juice from the Fashola government, if you don't Tinubu will.

Oga mi later.

Lol you summed him up to a T. grin Clinging to Fashola's balls so tightly must have its unknown benefits grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 5:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
Funny how the usual ghayy fahgots know so much about balls and ghayy activities.. dumb Ho..mo.se.Xu.als.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Roseart: 5:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
Eko Ile: Funny how the usual ghayy fahgots know so much about balls and ghayy activities.. dumb Ho..mo.se.Xu.als.

Your mother knows about it too so I guess she's ga.y as well grin

I don't know why you are mad when people call it like it is with you and your love affair with Fashola. I like Obama and agree with his policies but its not the same infatuation you have with your oga grin

Fashola can take a sh1t and you will open a thread about it, so why are you mad when people laugh about you and your husband? tongue

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by manny4life(m): 5:36pm On Feb 05, 2013
Lol, what has this thread turned into? cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by tpia5: 5:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
@ tpia@'s, thanks for the pictures.

you're welcome.

people need to use google more for other things besides junk rubbish of the chippy chappa type.

good to know it's only going to cost N200 per ride.

that's extremely and surprisingly cheap.

my major doubt about the project was will there be enough ridership, since this is an entirely new concept for the state or region.

also, this type of thing is needed in the hinterlands, some of which are very hilly.

The London cable system which is very limited in terms of scope and distance carries 2,500 each passengers way per hour so I see the Lagos system with a wider scope, coverage area and cars moving at least a hundred thousand passengers in one day..

i'd have been more doubtful as well if i hadnt known of the obudu cable car, which i also considered strange to see in nigeria at the time.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Roseart: 5:50pm On Feb 05, 2013
manny4life: Lol, what has this thread turned into? cheesy cheesy cheesy

I don't know why he gets so mad when people poke fun at his love affair, if you put your business in the street do you want people to cover their eyes and pretend its not there grin

You prostrate for Fashola but get mad when people say you prostrate for him, what kind of sense does that make grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 5:56pm On Feb 05, 2013
Back to topic anyways...

The same company is building one in Indonesia capable of moving 5000 each way per hour...5000 x 16 hrs = 80,000 passengers. And this only a 2km system. Definitely jot an extensive system like the lagos system.

Eko o no baje o
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 6:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
tpia@:

you're welcome.

people need to use google more for other things besides junk rubbish of the chippy chappa type.

that's extremely and surprisingly cheap.

my major doubt about the project was will there be enough ridership, since this is an entirely new concept for the state or region.

also, this type of thing is needed as well in the hinterlands, some of which are very hilly.

i'd have been more doubtful as well if i hadnt known of the obudu c, which i also considered strange to see in nigeria at the time.

Our problem in Nigeria is lazy, mediocre thinking, can't do this and that attitude and self defeats mentality. It's just sad that the so called leaders of tomorrow are afflicted with the same malady. Lack of knowledge and exposure is another problem killing Nigeria. They'll come up with all the excuses in the world to justify why they can not do this and that and how they can not move forward and progress.

Just like the pics you posted, many countries are setting up this system to ease their traffic priblems so why your own country is not entitled to this technology and solution is baffling. They talk about how other countries are better than their own as if these countries didn't try or start from somewhere or defeat themselves before trying. I don't even see any justification for limiting and down playing your capacity and potentials.

N200 naira per ride is very cheap and I think this is going to be the end if okada. Patronage will pick up as people get used to it as part of our public transportation and landscape..
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Feb 05, 2013
Egbon aribisala e jo oo, ibinu yin ti ma n lagbara ju, e mo bo ya ara ile yin ni omo yen bayii. E ma fi gbogbo nkan se binu, agba yin a daale oo.
Eko ile, pls tread softly on this issue, don't abuse any1 again.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by talktimi(m): 8:05pm On Feb 05, 2013
Josh090: Egbon aribisala e jo oo, ibinu yin ti ma n lagbara ju, e mo bo ya ara ile yin ni omo yen bayii. E ma fi gbogbo nkan se binu, agba yin a daale oo.
Eko ile, pls tread softly on this issue, don't abuse any1 again.
advicing eko ile to stop abusing people will earn you an insult from him, most probably he will call you "visionless" and "self defeatist" maybe a "retardeen" sypathizer, if you think I'm lying, go through this thread and other threads he has been on. Anybody who has a different view from him and his boss is eligible to be insulted by him. What can we say, a man has to earn his living I'm just happy my taxes as a resident of lagos state is also helping to feed him. grin
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 8:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
^^^^ see guilty conciense ..son of Reterdeen. Of course you lack vision just like your aso rock uncle whose only for Nigeria is cassava bread. Apple no dey fall too far from the tree. Dullards....
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by talktimi(m): 10:40pm On Feb 05, 2013
Eko Ile: ^^^^ see guilty conciense ..son of Reterdeen. Of course you lack vision just like your aso rock uncle whose only for Nigeria is cassava bread. Apple no dey fall too far from the tree. Dullards....
hahhhahahahhahahaa Eko Ile the "democrat" who can't stand dissenting views against his boss. You're a very good puppy dog indeed. What's the highest you can call me ? The highest you could think of in your low mentality to call me was son of a "reterdeen" and that I lack "vision" omo, you need help. Is this what your oga pays you to do ? I would have said you suffer from a chronic lack of home training but its obvious you never had a home that's why you're a loyal stray puppy dog to your oga. Its obvious to all here now that you're more of a tyrant than anything else talk less of a democrat. Shame on you
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by AjanleKoko: 8:02am On Feb 06, 2013
Wallie: Interesting! I’m curious to know the exact kind of system to be deployed. I see that the company in question will be using a system provided by Doppelmayr, a company that has been in the business of producing ski lifts since the 1930s.

I wonder the viability of using ski lifts as a means of public transportation because of the year round traffic on such a system. Ski lifts only see heavy traffic during the winter months. If indeed they’re trying to bring a ski lift type system, which at most has a capacity of 6000 people per hour, can such a system be used as a means of public transportation without negatively affecting the mean-time-between-failures (MTBF)?

However, I doubt it would be ski lifts as shown in OP’s pictures. I think it would be a Cable Car like the one in the picture below.

The company provided some pictures in the Businessday centerspread of Monday. They are providing ski lifts. Which is rather puzzling embarassed
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 8:14am On Feb 06, 2013
AjanleKoko:

The company provided some pictures in the Businessday centerspread of Monday. They are providing ski lifts. Which is rather puzzling embarassed

They are using gondolas, not ski lifts..
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 8:19am On Feb 06, 2013
I watched the signing ceremony on NTA 9 o'clock news yesternight. I don't know if the pictures shown were supplied by the company or by the NTA, but I mostly saw gondolas. However, I also saw ski lifts and cable car carriages.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by talktimi(m): 9:03am On Feb 06, 2013
naptu2: I watched the signing ceremony on NTA 9 o'clock news yesternight. I don't know if the pictures shown were supplied by the company or by the NTA, but I mostly saw gondolas. However, I also saw ski lifts and cable car carriages.
I'm guessing it will be something like the Emirates Air line cable car used during the London 2012 olympics which goes across the Thames river, at least the contractors could have given us a model description of what they would really look like but its all good sha.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by AjanleKoko: 9:48am On Feb 06, 2013
Eko Ile:

They are using gondolas, not ski lifts..

Well, go and get hold of the company (Ropeways) ad. It's in the centerspread of Monday's BusinessDay. I am looking at it right now, and what I am seeing are ski lifts undecided
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Wallie(m): 4:44pm On Feb 06, 2013
I think people seeing this opportunity as Lagos misplacing its priorities are missing the point!

As a private investor, I will invest my money into a market that I understand and see a potential! If I see a gold mine in canning farts and selling it because people believe it will make them healthy and I understand the business, that’s where I’m going to invest regardless of whether the whole plumbing infrastructure of Lagos is crumbling and presents another opportunity that I do not understand.

If cable cars is what I do, it matters very little that there are opportunities in ferries, housing, roads, trains because I do not understand those markets and that’s not what I do. All that matters to me is that there are opportunities in Cable cars that I can leverage.

Moreover, it seems people fail to realize that this project compliments other transportation projects! There is no single solution to Lagos’ transportation woes; it has to be a multi-facetted approach.

What do you really expect LSG to say to an investor that wants to pump $500 million into the local economy?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 3:00pm On Feb 10, 2013
Aha! This is what I was waiting for.

Sunrise on Channels Television yesterday. Alero Edun and Kayode Akintemi interview Captain Dapo Daramola, Chief Executive of Ropeways Lagos Cable Car Company.

They ask him questions about

1) Are cable car systems used for tourism or mass transit?

2) How did you get the idea (apparently Dopplemaier watched "Welcome to Lagos" )?

3) What did the agreement with Lamata state?

4) How will the project be powered?

5) How will the project be funded?

6) What will the fares be?

7) Safety issues in case of natural disasters, planes, helicopters, etc.

And much more. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?client=mv-google&gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=jqud4IaxC00&feature=youtu.be&nomobile=1
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 9:55pm On Mar 11, 2013
naptu2: [size=14pt]Lagos Cable Car Transit system (LCCT).[/size]

The Lagos Cable Car Transit system is a cable car system that will be built and operated by the Doppelmayr Group. It is the brainchild of Michael Doppelmayr.

The Doppelmayr Garaventa Group is an Austrian company that manufactures chairlifts, cable cars, gondolas, surface tows for ski and amusement parks as well as urban people movers and material handling systems. To date, Doppelmayr and Garaventa have produced over 13,700 installations in 78 countries. The Doppelmayr Garaventa Group was formed in 2002 when Doppelmayr of Wolfurt, Austria merged with Garaventa AG of Switzerland to form the world's largest ropeway manufacturer.

Doppelmayr was founded in Wolfurt Austria in 1892. Artur Doppelmayr, the son of the founder, took over in 1967. In 1996, Doppelmayr's holding company purchased Von Roll, a Swiss maker of gondolas and cable cars. In 2002, Doppelmayr acquired CWA, a Swiss maker of gondola and cable car cabins. The merger of Doppelmayr and Garaventa was announced in 2001 and completed in 2002.

The company was selected in April 2011 as one of a consortium to build London's Cable Car system

DCC Doppelmayr Cable Car is a supplier of Automated People Movers (APM) based in Wolfurt, Austria. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Doppelmayr Garaventa Group.[1] Their main product is the ropeway-propelled CABLE Liner shuttle used in airports, city centres, intermodal passenger transport connections, park and ride facilities, campuses, resorts, and amusement parks.

In 2003, after the world’s only Maglev transport system at Birmingham International Airport fell into disrepair, DCC installed the "AirRail Link" to replace the Maglev and temporary replacement bus-service that had been operating since 1995.

DCC is an ISO 9001:2000 certified company.

Company history

DCC was established by the Doppelmayr Group in 1996.

• 1999: completion of the Mandalay Bay Tram in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
• 2002: Doppelmayr merged with Garaventa Group
• 2002: completion of AirRail Link at Birmingham International Airport, UK
• 2006: completion of the LINK Train in Toronto, Canada
• 2006: award of Automated People Mover contract for the City of Venice, Italy
• 2006: award of contract for MGM Mirage CityCenter in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
• 2007: completion of the Cable Liner Shuttle at Mexico City International Airport
• 2007: award of Automated People Mover contract for the New Doha International Airport in Qatar
• 2012: completion of the Emirates Air Line (cable car) in London

Michael Doppelmayr watched the BBC documentary, “Welcome to Lagos” and had the idea to build a cable car system in Lagos. He felt that the idea would definitely succeed because of the sheer population density of Lagos. He did his research and discovered that, by 2015, Lagos will be the third largest urban agglomeration in the world, with a population of about 25 million people.

He made contact with some Nigerian businessmen and Ropeways Transport Limited was formed. The chief executive officer of Ropeways Transport Limited is Captain Dapo Olumide, former CEO of Virgin Nigeria.

Ropeways Limited proposed 3 routes to Lamata. They are:

1) Apapa – Oluwole – Adeniji Adele
2) Ijora/7up – Iddo – Adeniji Adele
3) Victoria Island – Falomo – Obalende – Adeniji Adele

Lamata has approved the routes and granted Ropeways the right of way. This was officially formalised via a tripartite agreement between Ropeways Limited, LAMATA and the Lagos State Government.

The idea behind the selection of these routes is to decongest the three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the Mainland (Carter, Eko and Third Mainland bridges), decongest the two bridges connecting Lagos Island to Victoria Island (Onikan and Five Cowry bridges) and connect the port and industrial district (Apapa) with the central business district (Marina). The Lagos Cable Car Transit system will be 12km long. A journey from Apapa to Adeniji will take roughly 4 minutes.

The project will be funded by a loan from the African Development Bank (ADB). The project will cost $500 million and it is expected that fares will be around 100 – 300 naira.

The project will have 5 sources of power viz – (1) The Independent Power Project (IPP) on the Island (2) Gas (3) Diesel (4) Turbines (5) Inverters (which will provide 30 minutes back-up power).

An interview with Captain Dapo Olumide (CEO of Ropways Limited) on Channels Television’s Sunrise programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqud4IaxC00

[img]http://4.bp..com/-MfVeaaQc2q0/URme8ogawwI/AAAAAAAAFyU/6a4_MQz_Etw/s1600/aa.jpg[/img]
Governor Fashola, Captain Olumide and a representative from Doppelmayr at the signing ceremony.

https://www.nairaland.com/1218704/history-public-transportation-lagos
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by whatisthetruth: 8:23am On Oct 19, 2019
Where is the cable car?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

NDA Cadets Drop Uniforms With Fulanimen, Disappear –residents / Videos Of Bola Tinubu Telling APC Members To Vote Their Choice In Lagos / Onnoghen: Osinbajo Is An Embarrassment, Should Be Stripped Of SAN Title - Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.