Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,875 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. (31610 Views)

FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola / INEC Officials Arrested For Mass Thumb Printing In Imo State / Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2013
Negro_Ntns: nooooooo, noooooo!!! angry

this is bad idea! this is like laying tracks for trams, except instead of on surface we are suspending it in the sky. this is bad idea. how do you combine fast tracks planned for the metro rails with outdated drags?

let us expand development hinterland into yoruba townships instead of wasting money in one spot to construct multi layers of redundant projects.

Eko Ile please share with the Governor to convert this money and erect a parallel fast track to compete with nigerian railway corporation. we need to depopulate lagos. people can live in oyo and commute daily to lagos to work. it is possible for people in osun to commute back and forth daily to lagos. it is called speed train or bullet train. sky cable cars will only incite the remaining millions left in villages to troop into lagos and be part of the skyriding crowd.

bad bad bad policy on this one......scrap it!
Presently, I know a company who has that project of electric train on hand but approval is being delayed by F.G. The electric train from Lagos to Abuja 2hrs approximately 400 miles per hour. This would be a massive project and can create up to 5000 jobs.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 12:59pm On Feb 04, 2013
Batam:
Presently, I know a company who has that project of electric train on hand but approval is being delayed by F.G. The electric train from Lagos to Abuja 2hrs approximately 400 miles per hour. This would be a massive project and can create up to 5000 jobs.

That project has been the subject of disputes for a while. Tinubu suggested it to Obasanjo. Obasanjo approved at first, but later withdrew his approval.

Last year, governors of the western states held a meeting to discuss regional integration/economic development. One of the proposals that came out of that meeting was the idea of a regional rail service. However, immediately afterwards, a federal government official told the media that only the federal government can operate regional rail/interstate rail services.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Mogidi: 1:41pm On Feb 04, 2013
This is an epic fail. What happens when there's electricity failure?

We are about to see the first Yoruba man in space.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 2:42pm On Feb 04, 2013
Power or no power, common sense should tell you that just like the metro rail and other infrastructures, they have their own in built power supply.

Your low level of thinking is appalling.

The only fail here is you.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 3:16pm On Feb 04, 2013
phabulous88:

By virtue of my knowledge and experience, I have an idea of what should work in a city like Lagos. And FYI, I'm a Construction Project Management postgraduate student & I've designed and planned a sustainable city which received endorsement from my professors. You don't deal with congestion in an over populated city like Lagos by introducing cable cars. it's a waste of resources.

I repeat, its a capitalist economy and this is a private investment by investors who have done their home work and saw potentials and no risk to their investment. Regardless of your profession or qualification, you haven't done any kind of home work or studies regarding this project and until you do, you are not in any position to pass any credible judgment talkless what's a waste or no waste, you are just voicing your opinion .

The market place will decide if this project is a waste or not and BTW, your money is not on the line, its the investors money.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Wallie(m): 3:21pm On Feb 04, 2013
Interesting! I’m curious to know the exact kind of system to be deployed. I see that the company in question will be using a system provided by Doppelmayr, a company that has been in the business of producing ski lifts since the 1930s.

I wonder the viability of using ski lifts as a means of public transportation because of the year round traffic on such a system. Ski lifts only see heavy traffic during the winter months. If indeed they’re trying to bring a ski lift type system, which at most has a capacity of 6000 people per hour, can such a system be used as a means of public transportation without negatively affecting the mean-time-between-failures (MTBF)?

However, I doubt it would be ski lifts as shown in OP’s pictures. I think it would be a Cable Car like the one in the picture below.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 3:30pm On Feb 04, 2013
Originalsly: Yes...the private investor is in it to make a profit but where is the profit coming from? What is the cost of the project? Is the private investor footing the entire bill? If not what percentage? How would he recoup his money and make a profit? Do you really think will be through fares? Or is it through set guaranteed payments by the city over 30 years? Who pays for maintenance and operation? Can you imagine what the fare wohld be to offset operation costs? The regular man would not be able to afford it unless.....there would be a subsidy. The private investor's profit is guaranteed and in the end the taxpayer would be shafted.

Private investment means the financial burden is on the private investor and the laws of demand and supply will dictate how much they charge. It what they are charging is not in line with other available modes of transportation, then its up to the public to decide if their service makes economic sense or not.

I won't worry about maintenance here since for the private investors to make money through the duration of their contract, they have to make sure their equipments are in great condition.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Wallie(m): 3:46pm On Feb 04, 2013
phabulous88: For an overpopulated city like Lagos? this ain't gonna work! The idea in itself is ridiculous and the proponents are senseless. Where is the business case? How do you deal with congestion by introducing cable cars? Were there any pubic consultation? Was there any exhibition of the proposals? Its not even feasible and I'd rather the money be invested in other sustainable transport systems like trams, maglev trains, hybrid vehicle... Unbelievable!

I'm curious to know why you think such a project wouldn't work in a city like Lagos? I find following your reasoning difficult because the stated questions seemingly point to unrelated issues. For example,

(1) business case - I would think somebody funding a $500 million investment would have a solid business case
(2) congestion - wouldn't having a transport system above the ground alleviate congestion?
(3) public consultation - why is this needed if private properties are mostly not impacted and the investors are using private funds?
(4) exhibition of proposals - what bearing does this have on the project not working?

Mind you, I’m not saying your other transportation ideas wouldn’t work but I’m pretty certain that they would cost billions of dollars more in infrastructure and involve more headache because such systems would require acquiring a lot more private property on the proposed track.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by talktimi(m): 4:15pm On Feb 04, 2013
Wallie: Interesting! I’m curious to know the exact kind of system to be deployed. I see that the company in question will be using a system provided by Doppelmayr, a company that has been in the business of producing ski lifts since the 1930s.

I wonder the viability of using ski lifts as a means of public transportation because of the year round traffic on such a system. Ski lifts only see heavy traffic during the winter months. If indeed they’re trying to bring a ski lift type system, which at most has a capacity of 6000 people per hour, can such a system be used as a means of public transportation without negatively affecting the mean-time-between-failures (MTBF)?

However, I doubt it would be ski lifts as shown in OP’s pictures. I think it would be a Cable Car like the one in the picture below.
thank you o jare better person, OP made us believe it was those ski lift things like the ones used @ obudu cattle ranch which didn't really make sense to me but this cable car option is more realistic & if truely the LASG isn't putting a dime into the project then I'm all for it. Property owners alongst the proposed routes should berra regularise their C of O's for compensation sha.
This looks just like the monorail project going on in Rivers state, I just prefer the private sector part
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by LeStylo: 4:31pm On Feb 04, 2013
The penetration level of water transport is almost zero. The waterways have been most poorly exploited by LAMATA. The waterways have a lot more capacity as a mass transit option than cableway. Much as it is a brilliant idea, i see it as investment with little sense of priority at actually ameliorating the targeted challenges.
The jetties in Mile2, Apapa, Epe, CMS, Lekki, Walter Carrington... are far from meeting the desired impact we dreamt.
Let's have BRT on water!

Eko o ni baje o!!!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 4:46pm On Feb 04, 2013
I'm going to track this project like I tracked the BRT system and Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Afam4eva(m): 4:49pm On Feb 04, 2013
What happened to the fairly used trains that Fashola was importing from Canada? I think we should be building a rail system in a city like Lagos and not even thinking of cable cars. Infact, whoever came up with that suggestion should be sacked. Cable cars are mostly used in mountain regions to get to different parts of the plains. It is not a conventional mode of transportation. How many cable cars are they going to buy to contain the rampaging population of Lagos and how fast are these cable cars? This thing should be restricted for tourist and not moving lagosians.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 5:08pm On Feb 04, 2013
Afam4eva: What happened to teh fairly used trains that Fashola was importing from Canada? I think we should be building a rail system in a city like Lagos and not even thinking of cable cars. Infact, whoever came up with that suggestion should be sacked. Cable cars are mostly used in mountain regions to get to different parts of the plains. It is not a conventional mose of transportation. How many cable cars are they going to buy to contain the rampaging population of Lagos and how fast are these cable cars? This thing should be restricted for tourist and not moving lagosians.

The 1st phase of the metro system is getting commissioned this year and not all cable cars fly in the air, they have cable cars in san Francisco and they don't hang in the air.

I know as usual you have your undying issues with anything lagos and must criticize just for the heck of it, but think first and do it intelligently.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Afam4eva(m): 5:13pm On Feb 04, 2013
Eko Ile:

The 1st phase of the metro system is getting commissioned this year and not all cable cars fly in the air, they have cable cars in san Francisco and they don't hang in the air.

I know as usual you have your undying issues with anything lagos and must criticize just for the heck of it, but think first and do it intelligently.
My question is: How long will these cables be. Will there be a cable from Alagbado to Lagos island for example? Who wopuld even think of using a cable car to travel that kind of distance. Like i said, cable cars are mostly used for tourism transportation and not for commercial transportation. I think i'll wait for the metro system.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 5:16pm On Feb 04, 2013
Le Stylo: The penetration level of water transport is almost zero. The waterways have been most poorly exploited by LAMATA. The waterways have a lot more capacity as a mass transit option than cableway. Much as it is a brilliant idea, i see it as investment with little sense of priority at actually ameliorating the targeted challenges.
The jetties in Mile2, Apapa, Epe, CMS, Lekki, Walter Carrington... are far from meeting the desired impact we dreamt.
Let's have BRT on water!

Eko o ni baje o!!!

We are almost there. We have 50 new 200 capacity ferry boats currently being built in Australia. These boats can move a minimum of 100,000 per day. I've posted pictures of the new ferry terminals and jetties under construction.

We'll are almost there....
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Akiika: 5:22pm On Feb 04, 2013
Chei, how motorpark touts go collect their money now? Fasho baba wicked o!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 5:32pm On Feb 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
My question is: How long will these cables be. Will there be a cable from Alagbado to Lagos island for example? Who wopuld even think of using a cable car to travel that kind of distance. Like i said, cable cars are mostly used for tourism transportation and not for commercial transportation. I think i'll wait for the metro system.

Before you get into any kind of argument or discussion regarding cable cars, you need to at least get a clear understsnding of what they are.

I can not discuss this with you because your only knowledge regarding cable cars are the ones hanging in the air and you deceptively and knowingly ignored my reference to other forms of cable cars like the ones in san Francisco that are not like the obudu ones you keep referring to.

Be serious if you are really interested in any kind of discussion.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Afam4eva(m): 5:35pm On Feb 04, 2013
Eko Ile:

Before you get into any kind of argument or discussion regarding cable cars, you need to at least get a clear understsnding of what they are.

I can not discuss this with you because your only knowledge regarding cable cars are the ones hanging in the air and you deceptively and knowingly ignored my reference to other forms of cable cars like the ones in san Francisco that are not like the obudu ones you keep referring to.

Be serious if you are really interested in any kind of discussion.
I'm serious. Educate me.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 5:39pm On Feb 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm serious. Educate me.

Educate you about what precisely.?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Peterwins(m): 6:08pm On Feb 04, 2013
The introduction of cable cars in Lagos State is a welcome development. These are my thoughts on the proposed project:

1. Finance - Either a PPP arrangement or a fully private sector financed deal.

2. Safety - No means of transportation by land, sea and air is 100% safe.

3. Mass transit - It is not a mass transit system. However it is just another means of transportation amongst others.

4. Relevance - It will generate employment (construction & maintenance)opportunities, could be used for tourism, reduce
emission of C02, ........... (fill in the blanks if you are in support of the project).

5. Electricity - Different power back-up systems in case of power outage.

6. Project Cost - It isn't charity. Return on investment must have been factored by the private investors.

7. Patronage - Demand would certainly overrun supply even if it is more expensive than other means of transportation.

Compared to other great cities, we haven't seen anything yet. This is a small and good step. Ideas rules the world.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 6:15pm On Feb 04, 2013
Why do people keep acting as if the cable car system (LCCT) will be the only form of transport in Lagos?

I've already posted details of the BRT, LRT, Eko Water Buses, LASMI cabs, park and ride bicycles, NRC trains, etc.

(Remember, private cars, danfo, molue, etc also exist).
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 6:42pm On Feb 04, 2013
naptu2: Why do people keep acting as if the cable car system (LCCT) will be the only form of transport in Lagos?

I've already posted details of the BRT, LRT, Eko Water Buses, LASMI cabs, park and ride bicycles, NRC trains, etc.

Beats the hell out of me. I don't even think it matters how many times you repeat yourself or how many facts you post, they'll still show up to repeat the same flawed thinking. Is it real or intentional ignorance or just criticize for no sensible reason because they can.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by tpia5: 7:02pm On Feb 04, 2013
Mogidi:

We are about to see the first Yoruba man in space.

and what's wrong with that?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by tpia5: 7:04pm On Feb 04, 2013
Wallie: Interesting! I’m curious to know the exact kind of system to be deployed. I see that the company in question will be using a system provided by Doppelmayr, a company that has been in the business of producing ski lifts since the 1930s.

you're probably right, but obudu ranch has had ski lifts for some years now.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by tejpot(m): 8:31pm On Feb 04, 2013
Mumuish talksfrom Nairaland sha, if Una no know anything fro this subject make Una shat up o. How cable car go send person go hospital? Make them take the money repair the existing rail, make that one too enter corruption? Funny people! Build all the build all the buidables so far it will lessen our hustle.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by talktimi(m): 10:34pm On Feb 04, 2013
tpia@:

you're probably right, but obudu ranch has had ski lifts for some years now.
without HEAVY traffic
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by racetrack: 11:47pm On Feb 04, 2013
Not that fast
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 12:25am On Feb 05, 2013
More rail will be a wise investment. Extend rail projects into neighbouring state/s for more revenue....

Rail is a wiser investment...

Lagos is a functional city not a fancy one... Cable car system if it's those hanging capsules, is not a wise investment. May give a beautiful sight to behold though...
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Afam4eva(m): 12:34am On Feb 05, 2013
naptu2: Why do people keep acting as if the cable car system (LCCT) will be the only form of transport in Lagos?

It won't be the only mode of transportation but shouldn't even be discussed now that we have pressing transportation issues. We should focus our attention at the necessities.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 2:14am On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
It won't be the only mode of transportation but shouldn't even be discussed now that we have pressing transportation issues. We should focus our attention at the necessities.

exactly what do you really think we should focus on. the thing is, there's always this or that issue for you people to gripe about no matter what. if they convince you here, you'll turn around to pick up another non issue to cry about. its a continuous sad state of mind with you people, nothing makes you happy, nothing is good and no effort is good effort, you just have to cry and yell over nothing.

many of you are vision less and full of can't do spirit, you are all self defeatists because you defeat yourselves even before trying. people like you don't move to the next level because of nay saying and negative spirit.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by tpia5: 2:20am On Feb 05, 2013
these are some from china

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 2:24am On Feb 05, 2013
Helllllzzz no!!

In Nigeria whre everything works in reverse?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Stowaway Daniel Ohikhena, Resumes School With Security Men / Dolapo Osinbajo Being Carried By Her Mother As A Baby / Innocent Chukwuma Receives More Than 150 Cows Donation For Mum’s Burial Rites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.