Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,188 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling (9095 Views)

Nigerians, Let Us Stop Being Hypocritical....the Country Is Crumbling / All Of A Sudden Boko Haram Is Crumbling! / AIT Television On The Brink Of Crumbling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by funken: 10:38pm On Feb 05, 2013
As much as I applaud the GEJ govt for "upgrading" the airports, the new domestic airport in Lagos is already showing signs of decay. I came in from Port Harcourt this evening and i went into the gents of the arrival lounge to ease myself. Lo and behold, one of the 3 wash hand sinks is already so badly cracked that it could fall apart any moment from now. And this is from an airport that was just commissioned only a few months ago.

I now took my time to take a look at the whole arrival lounge as a whole and I found out that these contractors did a completely shoddy job. The paint job is whack and looking up at the roof, I found so many markings as to wonder if work was actually completed on the roof.

Why are we so mediocre in Nigeria? Who certified these jobs because they were obviously done with substandard materials. And to think that billions of naira was actually budgeted and spent on this airport.

Sincere9ja, taharqa and the Nairaland forum hounds before you start criticizing me and mudslinging, these are just genuine concerns that require answers, and if you've got those answers pls pray tell...
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by CyberG: 10:52pm On Feb 05, 2013
LOL...retardeen things! Wait they are coming to lie day to night soon. grin grin
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by GARRIx7(m): 12:00am On Feb 06, 2013
funken: As much as I applaud the GEJ govt for "upgrading" the airports, the new domestic airport in Lagos is already showing signs of decay. I came in from Port Harcourt this evening and i went into the gents of the arrival lounge to ease myself. Lo and behold, one of the 3 wash hand sinks is already so badly cracked that it could fall apart any moment from now. And this is from an airport that was just commissioned only a few months ago.

I now took my time to take a look at the whole arrival lounge as a whole and I found out that these contractors did a completely shoddy job. The paint job is whack and looking up at the roof, I found so many markings as to wonder if work was actually completed on the roof.

Why are we so mediocre in Nigeria? Who certified these jobs because they were obviously done with substandard materials. And to think that billions of naira was actually budgeted and spent on this airport.

Sincere9ja, taharqa and the Nairaland forum hounds before you start criticizing me and mudslinging, these are just genuine concerns that require answers, and if you've got those answers pls pray tell...

‎​Άnd why didn't you take a picture to butress your claims??

Don't tell me you still use a "NOKIA TORCH" phone...??

cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by funken: 1:05am On Feb 06, 2013
Unfortunately, i was with my NOKIA TORCH phone when i entered the gents grin grin grin grin grin. However if anyone happens to be at the new domestic airport (where Arik flies) please enter the gents in the arrival hall and check the sink closest to the wall...Like i said full of cracks here and there...
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 1:09am On Feb 06, 2013
Remember that the remodelling isn't yet 100% complete.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by funken: 1:46am On Feb 06, 2013
Ok if it is not 100% done, should it explain why a newly installed sink is almost falling apart? And it has been "commissioned" by the minister of aviation.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 1:47am On Feb 06, 2013
The sink is falling apart? shocked Nawa for some contractors; they must have used some sub-standard materials. angry
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 6:24am On Feb 06, 2013
@Op..,if your observation is true, I advice you lay your complaints officially to the relevant agencies of govt. Govt is not all-knowing and omnipresent. Citizens should be able to make complaints and observations to the right quarters if need be. Democracy without citizens participation is like soup without salt. It is citizens active and consistent participation in governance that made advanced countries what they are today.

We should not use any perceived fault as opportunity for govt bashing in the media. Even as a human being if I set out to look for faults on your body or character, I should be able to find some.

When you noticed those faults, you could have complained right there to any senior FAAN official. It may mean you have to spend extra minutes but that may be your own contribution to national development. Again, if you had complained to FAAN or whatever body is in charge, their explanation may have further enriched this thread.

I'm not sure of how functional FAAN website is, otherwise you can still lay your complaints there. Likewise you may lay your complaints at the federal ministry of information website. They may help channel it to the appropriate quarter.

It is only in Nigeria that communities stay in darkness for months because of transformer fault or in some cases light only comes on alternate days due to overloaded or broken down transformer. And those communities will sit and do nothing or at times make feeble effort or wait for CNN Amanpour to come and interview them. I always advice any community with transformer problem to protest and where need be occupy the nearest PHCN office.

Back to the issue at hand, it is possible work has not been completed in that terminal (sometimes govt commission facilities that not 100% ready). Its possible the contractor used sub-standard materials due to poor supervision. We can only speculate.

I dont know how viable those terminals are, but I think the govt should concession them to private hands for proper maintenance. Govt at all levels has shown consistent lack of capacity to maintain infrastructure.

11 Likes

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by SlyIg(f): 6:35am On Feb 06, 2013
CyberG: LOL...retardeen things! Wait they are coming to lie day to night soon. grin grin
Can we for once direct all silly blames to the right persons concerned.
How can you blame Jonathan for the mishap. Can't the wash hand basin be repaired by the port people.
You can blame your father at home for any spoiled item in your house but stop insulting the president. What do you mean by retardeen things. Is he the one that spoilt the wash hand basin? Didn't the govt pay the contractors that installed it? Can't the port staff repair and maintain it well? Must every little and silly blame be put on this man?

4 Likes

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by SlyIg(f): 6:37am On Feb 06, 2013
funken: Unfortunately, i was with my NOKIA TORCH phone when i entered the gents grin grin grin grin grin. However if anyone happens to be at the new domestic airport (where Arik flies) please enter the gents in the arrival hall and check the sink closest to the wall...Like i said full of cracks here and there...
And you think nairaland is the right place to lay your complain?
Why didn't you lay your complain at the technical department there!
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Tolexander: 7:26am On Feb 06, 2013
funken: As much as I applaud the GEJ govt for "upgrading" the airports, the new domestic airport in Lagos is already showing signs of decay. I came in from Port Harcourt this evening and i went into the gents of the arrival lounge to ease myself. Lo and behold, one of the 3 wash hand sinks is already so badly cracked that it could fall apart any moment from now. And this is from an airport that was just commissioned only a few months ago.

we have seen your complaint on the issue.
Don't worry we will set up a committee to look into the matter.

1 Like

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by executinal(m): 9:19am On Feb 06, 2013
Our problem is not construction / building but maintenance
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by valdubem(m): 9:21am On Feb 06, 2013
I said it that Dangote cement is fake

1 Like

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 9:22am On Feb 06, 2013
Didi u inspect both th male and female gents??
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by alex406(m): 9:23am On Feb 06, 2013
We lack maintenance culture in this country so dont blame the government.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Akshow: 9:30am On Feb 06, 2013
as much as I dislike gej, I insist this jargons should not have made it to the front page. sometimes I wonder what the criteria is for this front page of a thing. interesting and educative thread don't see the light of the day but thrash like this without source or photo evidence makes it to front page. rawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwbish

2 Likes

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Symphony007: 9:31am On Feb 06, 2013
Those of you blaming jonathan for this keep exastubating the highest form of stupidity...he is the president of the federal republic of nigeria not the janitor of lagos local airport toilet, how do you expect him to know? Will he be everywhere at the same time? It is now up to you the users of that airport who pay money to FAAN for airport maintenance to get value for your money....blaming the president for everything is frankly ridiculous.

2 Likes

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Symphony007: 9:32am On Feb 06, 2013
CyberG: LOL...retardeen things! Wait they are coming to lie day to night soon. grin grin
your dislike for the president is making you seem like a buffon!!

4 Likes

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by OluEmmaAss: 9:34am On Feb 06, 2013
Another inflated contract poorly executed by their cronies.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Ngwakwe: 9:36am On Feb 06, 2013
Blame the contractor, but if it has been commissioned. Arrest the Engineer that confirmed it okay, let the investigation begins.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by ypzilanti: 9:37am On Feb 06, 2013
Send your complaints to Servicom e-mail address. Let them earn their salary. If you are concerned enough to post on Niaraland, go the extra mile and send an email to servicom.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by ba7man(m): 9:42am On Feb 06, 2013
I'm in the construction industry and i know how dishonest a lot of contractors can be. They over blow their quotations, use quacks that collect the lowest pay and purchase the most sub-standard products to widen their profit margins.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 9:42am On Feb 06, 2013
This OP is daft. Even a brand new house can have defect and that's caused by the contractors, but am sure you want to blame GEJ for wash hand basins that fall apart. Why dont you fix it instead of coming here to tell us about a fallen wash hand basin.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by holluwai(m): 9:42am On Feb 06, 2013
Sounds like you have spent the better part of your life in some western country or you don't even come from nigeria.

Sincere 9gerian: @Op..,if
your observation is true, I advice you lay your complaints officially to the relevant agencies of govt. Govt is not all-knowing and omnipresent. Citizens should be able to make complaints and observations to the right quarters if need be. Democracy without citizens participation is like soup without salt. It is citizens active and consistent participation in governance that made advanced countries what they are today.

We should not use any perceived fault as opportunity for govt bashing in the media. Even as a human being if I set out to look for faults on your body or character, I should be able to find some.

When you noticed those faults, you could have complained right there to any senior FAAN official. It may mean you have to spend extra minutes but that may be your own contribution to national development. Again, if you had complained to FAAN or whatever body is in charge, their explanation may have further enriched this thread.

I'm not sure of how functional FAAN website is, otherwise you can still lay your complaints there. Likewise you may lay your complaints at the federal ministry of information website. They may help channel it to the appropriate quarter.

It is only in Nigeria that communities stay in darkness for months because of transformer fault or in some cases light only comes on alternate days due to overloaded or broken down transformer. And those communities will sit and do nothing or at times make feeble effort or wait for CNN Amanpour to come and interview them. I always advice any community with transformer problem to protest and where need be occupy the nearest PHCN office.

Back to the issue at hand, it is possible work has not been completed in that terminal (sometimes govt commission facilities that not 100% ready). Its possible the contractor used sub-standard materials due to poor supervision. We can only speculate.

I dont know how viable those terminals are, but I think the govt should concession them to private hands for proper maintenance. Govt at all levels has shown consistent lack of capacity to maintain infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by otokx(m): 9:44am On Feb 06, 2013
its a shoddy job at the airports even the one here in port harcourt terrible job by interbau.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by alphaconde(m): 9:44am On Feb 06, 2013
@ poster on behalf of the presidency I offer my sincere apologies. We will find time to confirm what you are saying , u could have posted pix just like the police college issue.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by holluwai(m): 9:45am On Feb 06, 2013
I am sure your father works for/with GEJ,spoilt brat!

Billyonaire: This OP is daft. Even a brand new house can have defect and that's caused by the contractors, but am sure you want to blame GEJ for wash hand basins that fall apart. Why dont you fix it instead of coming here to tell us about a fallen wash hand basin.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by vanstanzy(m): 9:46am On Feb 06, 2013
ROAD-SIDE AND HALF-BAKED CONTRACTORS AT IT AGAIN! angry angry angry
Alao-Akala paid off all his contractors before he left office. Which means, whether job was completed or not, he doesnt care but only so that he'll collect his share before the next govt steps in. Don't forget Alao-Akala was PDP, not saying politicians of other political parties can't try same $h!7. GEJ happens to be the top-gun of that same party, PDP.
Remember we are still in an era of "CHOP, I CHOP" politics, so nothing has changed. angry angry angry
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Maxymilliano(m): 9:46am On Feb 06, 2013
funken: Ok if it is not 100% done, should it explain why a newly installed sink is almost falling apart? And it has been "commissioned" by the minister of aviation.

Your observation and complain is noted, the place was only expanded and remodeled, no 'billion' was spent as your claim.

The facility was constructed by Government but managed by FAAN. The upgrade and expansion went on while the facility was in active use, hence the reason for some of the noticeable defects but be rest assured it will be attended to shortly.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 9:47am On Feb 06, 2013
I'm shocked to the marrow that this allegation by one anonymous ID, with no iota of proof, made it to the front page.

This is an ALL TIME low for NL front page. This sort of shameless antics further confirms my earlier submission that NL is now systematically anti-GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by makyegh(m): 9:47am On Feb 06, 2013

Where are the pictures to support your claims as well as give the rest of us a mental picture plus proof of what you saw? This is not to detract from your claim but to further support you claim with pictoral evidence in case some one in the Aviation industry were to ask these questions. The point is, beside reportin this fact, you should get pictures to back the fact.w

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Seeks Identification Of 19.5m Cows, 72.5m Goats / Bauchi Pensioner Returns N1m Over-payment / Ondo INEC Fire: 5,000 Smart Card Readers Destroyed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.