Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,184 members, 7,829,249 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling (9103 Views)

Nigerians, Let Us Stop Being Hypocritical....the Country Is Crumbling / All Of A Sudden Boko Haram Is Crumbling! / AIT Television On The Brink Of Crumbling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by audacious: 9:49am On Feb 06, 2013
Symphony007: Those of you blaming jonathan for this keep exastubating the highest form of stupidity...he is the president of the federal republic of nigeria not the janitor of lagos local airport toilet, how do you expect him to know? Will he be everywhere at the same time? It is now up to you the users of that airport who pay money to FAAN for airport maintenance to get value for your money....blaming the president for everything is frankly ridiculous.

The OP did not at anytime blame GEJ for anything (please read and understand posts with an open mind). Besides, this is not a maintenance issue as the renovation has just been carried out and already the airport has issues. The OP is simply highlighting the shoddy job being done.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 9:51am On Feb 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @Op..,if your observation is true, I advice you lay your complaints officially to the relevant agencies of govt. Govt is not all-knowing and omnipresent. Citizens should be able to make complaints and observations to the right quarters if need be. Democracy without citizens participation is like soup without salt. It is citizens active and consistent participation in governance that made advanced countries what they are today.

We should not use any perceived fault as opportunity for govt bashing in the media. Even as a human being if I set out to look for faults on your body or character, I should be able to find some.

When you noticed those faults, you could have complained right there to any senior FAAN official. It may mean you have to spend extra minutes but that may be your own contribution to national development. Again, if you had complained to FAAN or whatever body is in charge, their explanation may have further enriched this thread.

I'm not sure of how functional FAAN website is, otherwise you can still lay your complaints there. Likewise you may lay your complaints at the federal ministry of information website. They may help channel it to the appropriate quarter.

It is only in Nigeria that communities stay in darkness for months because of transformer fault or in some cases light only comes on alternate days due to overloaded or broken down transformer. And those communities will sit and do nothing or at times make feeble effort or wait for CNN Amanpour to come and interview them. I always advice any community with transformer problem to protest and where need be occupy the nearest PHCN office.

Back to the issue at hand, it is possible work has not been completed in that terminal (sometimes govt commission facilities that not 100% ready). Its possible the contractor used sub-standard materials due to poor supervision. We can only speculate.

I dont know how viable those terminals are, but I think the govt should concession them to private hands for proper maintenance. Govt at all levels has shown consistent lack of capacity to maintain infrastructure.
re u a nigerian?? So he shud go n report to who? And then waht will happen? They will go n renovate it?? Lol

1 Like

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 9:54am On Feb 06, 2013
SlyIg:
Can we for once direct all silly blames to the right persons concerned.
How can you blame Jonathan for the mishap. Can't the wash hand person be repaired by port people.
You can blame your father at home for any spoiled item in your house but stop insulting the president. What do you mean by retardeen things. Is he the one that spoilt the wash hand basin? Didn't the govt pay the contractors that installed it? Can the port staff repair and maintain it well? Must every little and silly blame be put on this man?
did he mention jonathan?? If @all he did, is jonathan nt representn d govt? Is it nt d same govt dat purchased fake product to renovate d airport?? Mtshew park well

1 Like

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Symphony007: 9:59am On Feb 06, 2013
audacious:

The OP did not at anytime blame GEJ for anything (please read and understand posts with an open mind). Besides, this is not a maintenance issue as the renovation has just been carried out and already the airport has issues. The OP is simply highlighting the shoddy job being done.
i did'nt accuse the poster of blaming the president. I said "those blaming the president"..by "those" i mean some folks making comment( read the post well before rebottling) and whatever state the airport is your griveances should be directed at FAAN.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by seanet01: 10:04am On Feb 06, 2013
^^^^^
You need to tell us who is to call the FAAN to Order when they are not performing?
I think your di.ck is suppose to do that.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by ngooka: 10:13am On Feb 06, 2013
Where is your picture evidence? You can't prove this
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by martinifeanyi(m): 10:39am On Feb 06, 2013
GARRI (x7):

‎​Άnd why didn't you take a picture to butress your claims??

Don't tell me you still use a "NOKIA TORCH" phone...??

cheesy
Help me ask am o! @ Op
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 10:40am On Feb 06, 2013
@sincere9gerian...you talk as if you dont know the level of inefficiency and nonchalant attitude in the Government agencies and parastatals today,be honest with us here;if the op had walked to the front desk and complained,what action do you believe would have been taken? is it that the FAAN officials have not seen the toilet and other deterioration in the Airport? or that even while the remodelling was being installed,they didnt recognize the difference in quality between the amenities being installed and the ones they would install in their own homes?
about PHCN and Transformers;let me tell you a story;December last year,vital parts of the transformer supplying my area were stolen,we didnt have light for days;until we contributed 170 000 Naira,meanwhile in a nearby neighborhood,PHCN officials were caught red handed removing similar parts from a transformer... from your post now,i realize we made a big mistake,we should have reported to any senior PHCN official,
[/quote]protest and where need be occupy the nearest PHCN office.[quote]
abi no be so?
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Demdem(m): 10:49am On Feb 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: Blame the contractor, but if it has been commissioned. Arrest the Engineer that confirmed it okay, let the investigation begins.

and who will do that? the op?
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Orikinla(m): 10:50am On Feb 06, 2013
WITH GEJ'S PAPA DECEIVE PIKIN GOVERNMENT, THE MORE YOU LOOK THE LESS YOU SEE. grin
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by pure123: 10:52am On Feb 06, 2013
baseless claims.................where are d evidences? no pix?
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 06, 2013
koonbey: @sincere9gerian...you talk as if you dont know the level of inefficiency and nonchalant attitude in the Government agencies and parastatals today,be honest with us here;if the op had walked to the front desk and complained,what action do you believe would have been taken? is it that the FAAN officials have not seen the toilet and other deterioration in the Airport? or that even while the remodelling was being installed,they didnt recognize the difference in quality between the amenities being installed and the ones they would install in their own homes?
about PHCN and Transformers;let me tell you a story;December last year,vital parts of the transformer supplying my area were stolen,we didnt have light for days;until we contributed 170 000 Naira,meanwhile in a nearby neighborhood,PHCN officials were caught red handed removing similar parts from a transformer... from your post now,i realize we made a big mistake,we should have reported to any senior PHCN official,protest and where need be occupy the nearest PHCN office. abi no be so?
People just assume that nothing will happen even if they report. Well, my attitude to that is to complain first to the RIGHT quarters. Even if nothing happens immediately in the case of FAAN for instance, one may get an explanation. Besides the explanation, asking the RIGHT questions from the RIGHT quarters will make some persons sit up. If for instance 2 or 3 persons goes to the right FAAN officials and ask them questions, the pressure alone will make them do the right thing. I think we need to push ourselves to do the right thing in this country.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by chucky234(m): 10:58am On Feb 06, 2013
CFCfan: Remember that the remodelling isn't yet 100% complete.
What are you yapping about,guy find somewhere sidon before I e-slap that your rotten mouth.
So cos say e never dey 100% come mean say the side wey dem don complete no last 4 months abi craze dey worry you for head,make I hear say anything again for this thread today.
Idio:t.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by chucky234(m): 11:04am On Feb 06, 2013
Billyonaire: This OP is daft. Even a brand new house can have defect and that's caused by the contractors, but am sure you want to blame GEJ for wash hand basins that fall apart. Why dont you fix it instead of coming here to tell us about a fallen wash hand basin.
Anyone blaming GEJ has every right to because your Jona toured the facilities therefore was quite aware of the substandard materials used,the fact that GEJ is daft is an open secret.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 11:07am On Feb 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
People just assume that nothing will happen even if they report. Well, my attitude to that is to complain first to the RIGHT quarters. Even if nothing happens immediately in the case of FAAN for instance, one may get an explanation. Besides the explanation, asking the RIGHT questions from the RIGHT quarters will make some persons sit up. If for instance 2 or 3 persons goes to the right FAAN officials and ask them questions, the pressure alone will make them do the right thing. I think we need to push ourselves to do the right thing in this country.
That's true,very true,but at the same time you will agree with me that this lethargy among the masses is as a result of continual frustration by Government and Government agencies...
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by nlofficial(m): 11:08am On Feb 06, 2013
@Poster, picture! picture!! picture!!!
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:15am On Feb 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @Op..,if your observation is true, I advice you lay your complaints officially to the relevant agencies of govt. Govt is not all-knowing and omnipresent. Citizens should be able to make complaints and observations to the right quarters if need be. Democracy without citizens participation is like soup without salt. It is citizens active and consistent participation in governance that made advanced countries what they are today.

We should not use any perceived fault as opportunity for govt bashing in the media. Even as a human being if I set out to look for faults on your body or character, I should be able to find some.

When you noticed those faults, you could have complained right there to any senior FAAN official. It may mean you have to spend extra minutes but that may be your own contribution to national development. Again, if you had complained to FAAN or whatever body is in charge, their explanation may have further enriched this thread.

I'm not sure of how functional FAAN website is, otherwise you can still lay your complaints there. Likewise you may lay your complaints at the federal ministry of information website. They may help channel it to the appropriate quarter.

It is only in Nigeria that communities stay in darkness for months because of transformer fault or in some cases light only comes on alternate days due to overloaded or broken down transformer. And those communities will sit and do nothing or at times make feeble effort or wait for CNN Amanpour to come and interview them. I always advice any community with transformer problem to protest and where need be occupy the nearest PHCN office.

Back to the issue at hand, it is possible work has not been completed in that terminal (sometimes govt commission facilities that not 100% ready). Its possible the contractor used sub-standard materials due to poor supervision. We can only speculate.

I dont know how viable those terminals are, but I think the govt should concession them to private hands for proper maintenance. Govt at all levels has shown consistent lack of capacity to maintain infrastructure.

^^^The bolded is the bane of our society! Most gov't contracts (esp' those constructed by 'local' contractors) are executed poorly, with substandard/cheaparse materials and shoddy finishing (i noticed that much from the pics i've seen of the Lagos and Benin airports). But when it comes to their private properties, these same gov't officials awarding these public contracts go all out to use the best contractors and materials.....with the finishing being top-notch.

Another issue arising from the bolded is the possibility of the gov't contract supervisors colluding with the contractors to 'cut corners' to enrich their pockets, and this should be part of the reason for the substandard materials and shoddy finishing the OP saw at lagos airport. All this talk of 'maybe the job isn't finished yet'......all that one na wash, b'cos we all know within our hearts that what we're seeing now is pretty much all we're getting, unless the contractor is recalled to 'fix' his work.

I hope they don't try this nonsense with Enugu airport!......who am i kidding? undecided
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 11:19am On Feb 06, 2013
Billyonaire: This OP is daft. Even a brand new house can have defect and that's caused by the contractors, but am sure you want to blame GEJ for wash hand basins that fall apart. Why dont you fix it instead of coming here to tell us about a fallen wash hand basin.
you are a Fool,although of course GEJ is not directly responsible for the said decay,if his Administration had been known to take a tough stance with contractors who do shoddy work while collecting exorbitant fees,would any contractor have dared to install wash hand basins that would start falling apart months after installation? but then;how can they?when they recieve kickbacks from the awards of such inflated contracts...
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by phabulous88(m): 11:19am On Feb 06, 2013
When was the project handed over? If its less than 12 months then its probably still in its Defects Liability Period. Many projects are like that. If the contract was executed properly, the the client should still have the retention and the contractors are liable for defects repair.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by ngnetbiz: 11:22am On Feb 06, 2013
My own take is,we don't have airport in nigeria,if you call lagos international airport or abuja a standard airport,then you don't like the country.our bad leaders have failed in many aspects,i arrived at mma the other day ,no AC in arrival,one and only escalator wasn't working,no lift,only 1 ox fan and not working.more than 4 planes landed and we all have to pass same entrance,we were forced to line up like bunch of ants until we forced ourself in due to overheating whoch many couldn't bare.anyone who has been to UAE terminals will testify,watch out for the new al makhtoum international airport.what do those little countries have and they are doing big things,look at waterfalls and malls in airport,imagine a country making money from airport alone.people enters new and buy things in malls at airport,and pay for other fantastic sevices.we have a long way to go.our have deceived us a lot.maybe coz most people haven't travelled yet.we need change.we youths,its in our hands.you and me.their is no better time than this.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 06, 2013
makyegh: Where are the pictures to support your claims as well as give the rest of us a mental picture plus proof of what you saw? This is not to detract from your claim but to further support you claim with pictoral evidence in case some one in the Aviation industry were to ask these questions. The point is, beside reportin this fact, you should get pictures to back the fact.w
Thx my bro,we need pic of ur claim if it look as if u are just trying to blame d contrator for nothing.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Asis(m): 11:39am On Feb 06, 2013
val_dubem: I said it that Dangote cement is fake
lolz do u work dere!
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Jencejyde(m): 12:54pm On Feb 06, 2013
ngnetbiz: My own take is,we don't have airport in nigeria,if you call lagos international airport or abuja a standard airport,then you don't like the country.our bad leaders have failed in many aspects,i arrived at mma the other day ,no AC in arrival,one and only escalator wasn't working,no lift,only 1 ox fan and not working.more than 4 planes landed and we all have to pass same entrance,we were forced to line up like bunch of ants until we forced ourself in due to overheating whoch many couldn't bare.anyone who has been to UAE terminals will testify,watch out for the new al makhtoum international airport.what do those little countries have and they are doing big things,look at waterfalls and malls in airport,imagine a country making money from airport alone.people enters new and buy things in malls at airport,and pay for other fantastic sevices.we have a long way to go.our have deceived us a lot.maybe coz most people haven't travelled yet.we need change.we youths,its in our hands.you and me.their is no better time than this.

Well said! People talk about reporting to agencies...and you live in Nigeria?!@...For all the money we make and not even a world class airport...Like i always say...until a revolution happens...may God help us in this country...watch out for the next fuel price increase btw...
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by maskid(m): 1:39pm On Feb 06, 2013
oga park well jor.!!! mschteeew
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by CyberG: 2:03pm On Feb 06, 2013
SlyIg:
Can we for once direct all silly blames to the right persons concerned.
How can you blame Jonathan for the mishap. Can't the wash hand person be repaired by port people.
You can blame your father at home for any spoiled item in your house but stop insulting the president. What do you mean by retardeen things. Is he the one that spoilt the wash hand basin? Didn't the govt pay the contractors that installed it? Can the port staff repair and maintain it well? Must every little and silly blame be put on this man?

Thunder fire your big mouth, your father and all your generation!! Silly loser...stop eating shaite it is destroying your brains. And never quote my post again in your miserable life!
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by SlyIg(f): 2:08pm On Feb 06, 2013
CyberG:

Thunder fire your big mouth, your father and all your generation!! Silly loser...stop eating shaite it is destroying your brains. And never quote my post again in your miserable life!
Silly idiott!
Blame Jonathan for you not being able to achieve anything in life because na he born you,right?
Stupidd fool like you. Don't look for how best to help yourself in a falling govt that the man came to meet.
Blame your father for your miserable life but not Mr. President.
Competent and illegal fool like you.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by redsun(m): 3:14pm On Feb 06, 2013
Nigeria biggest problem is management. They can turn eldorado to a swine in a matter of minutes.

People ate paid to do nothing in Nigeria,yet they all complain about corruption.
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Darchangel(m): 3:56pm On Feb 06, 2013
CyberG: LOL...retardeen things! Wait they are coming to lie day to night soon. grin grin

Sometimes when people like you speak it shows ignorant and childish you are. I suppose you want Gej to paint the walls or fix the toilet seats himself. To educate you, Gej does'nt even know the contractor nor when the contract was awarded. That's why we have ministries and departments under them

2 Likes

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by anonimi: 5:40pm On Feb 06, 2013
mikelreal: re u a nigerian?? So he shud go n report to who? And then waht will happen? They will go n renovate it?? Lol

And you think this is the best way to get the sink fixed
Keep doing things the same(Nigerian) way and expect a different(Western) result?

Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by slimfit1(m): 7:15pm On Feb 06, 2013
funken: As much as I applaud the GEJ govt for "upgrading" the airports, the new domestic airport in Lagos is already showing signs of decay. I came in from Port Harcourt this evening and i went into the gents of the arrival lounge to ease myself. Lo and behold, one of the 3 wash hand sinks is already so badly cracked that it could fall apart any moment from now. And this is from an airport that was just commissioned only a few months ago.

I now took my time to take a look at the whole arrival lounge as a whole and I found out that these contractors did a completely shoddy job. The paint job is whack and looking up at the roof, I found so many markings as to wonder if work was actually completed on the roof.

Why are we so mediocre in Nigeria? Who certified these jobs because they were obviously done with substandard materials. And to think that billions of naira was actually budgeted and spent on this airport.

Sincere9ja, taharqa and the Nairaland forum hounds before you start criticizing me and mudslinging, these are just genuine concerns that require answers, and if you've got those answers pls pray tell...

Don't you have camera on your phone to prove it 2013 most phones with camera we need to always show a prove not just text .
Re: Upgraded Lagos Domestic Airport Is Crumbling by Nobody: 8:51pm On Feb 06, 2013
no pictures, just ranting...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Segun Odegbami To Contest For Ogun Governorship / House PDP Caucus Threatens Legal Action Against FG Over Twitter Ban / Aviation Stakeholders Condemn Lopsided Appointments In NCAA, FAAN, NAMA, AIB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.