Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,812 members, 7,844,628 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (81) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (455865 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 8:15pm On Dec 20, 2010
@
Cuddlemii:

Does that mean you can use a rich managing executive in your office or rich family friend as your sponsor when applying for visa because sponsorship is the only visible clause for me.

Secondly how much does the consulate want to see in the account. I am going for a PGD or graduate certificate in Information Technology, the school fees for this program ranges from $11900 to $19990.

Finally, do you think I shld ditch the agencies since they ask for full tuition and I can't afford that, what do you suggest.

I will say YES[/b]and [b]NO to your question. YES, because the Canadian High Commission require you to either sponsor your self or have a sponsor that is ready to bear all the cost of your studies in Canada. So using your rich managing executive or a family friend does not disqualify you applying for Study permit provided that they have written a letter of support for your studies, provide evidence for financial capabilities and have sworn an affidavit in court to support your studies

But I will say NO that you should not use a rich managing director or anybody that is not related to you, because it is going to be an hard sell for the Visa officer to believe that somebody that is not, in anyway, related to you will be fully committed to pay millions of naira to support your studies. ( The Visa officers are Human being so they think the way me and you would have thought if we were in their shoe)

Also there is a space in the form you will be filling during the visa application process that require you to state how you are related to your sponsor, and I know you will not like to say that he is your Boss or family friend. It does not sound convincing that someone that is not related to you will like to take such huge responsibility.

I think apart from your parent, you can use your Uncle, Brothers, sisters, inlaws, ( Provided you can show a document that proof your relationship with the person)

In my case I use my brother In -law, so I just used his marriage certificate to proof that truly he is married to my sister.

Well, if you think that you can show the reason why your Boss or family friend want to sponsor your study in Canada or you can present a document that can state categorically want they (Sponsors) stands to gain from your study in Canada. Then, I think with prayer included you should be okay.

Then to your second question, I think there is no stated balance that they require just be sure that the last month balance of the account covers the tuition, living expenses, accomodation, and flight cost. But, be sure that paying some of your fees ( Please this step is not mandatory, but the truth is that it increases your chance of not be disqualify base on inadequate funds, but you can still be disqualify base on other factors) put less pressure on the statement of account you will need to show for availability of funds.
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 8:45pm On Dec 20, 2010
obietrix:

@charlie, u really are a genius.your indept knowledge and subsequent analysis of question being asked is an advantage to everyone on here.u too much brother.
u av made mention abt having experience related to research interest and proposed course of study, i did civil engineering for a first degree and applying for graduate programme in oil and gas .my work experience have been mainly on civil construction.how do i correlate this and convince the consulate.
also kindly send me sample of your personal statement of purpose thru obie_henry@yahoo.com.
thanks.

Obitrix, please you just have to sit and think ( Thank God you are an Engineering guy, we no dey carry last. lol) Since you have already apply for the Oil and Gas, just think on how to relate the experience you have gotten in the Civil engineering with oil and Gas Engineering.

Mayb you can think like this, I know that there is an aspect of civil Engineering call Geology and also there is one call Fluid Hydraulic which are both related to Oil and Gas. So you can say that you have great interest in that aspect of Civil engineering since your University years( Chose a topic in Geology or fluid mechanics that you know very well) That it has always interest you during your undergraduate years in the university and that you are going to Canada at Uni of N to study oil and gas Engineering where there are compete faculty about the Research ( Your Chosen research) to acquire advance capability about the research to help to boost Nigerian Oil and Gas industry, when you come back to Nigeria after your study.

You can also state something that you have work with ( Give your company name) mostly in the area of Fluid mechanics or Hydraulics or Geology. Even if where you currently work is into Road construction or Building I am very sure that during the construction of Road or Building of House there is Hydraulic design of things like Channels, chute etc. And all this require knowledge of Fliud flow, which is what Oil and Gas Engineering is about.

Well, I will sent my own copy of SOP to you right away. I wish you well in everything. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 8:53pm On Dec 20, 2010
choose4me:

@charlie, please whats this transcript thing.i didnt know secondary school has it too.how can i get it.please enlighten me on it.please bear in mind i'm going for undergraduate course not post grad

Go to your secondary school ask them to give you Transcript, they know what it is. It is the result of all the exams you did from your J.S 1 to S.S3, but just collect the one that shows the results from S.SI TO S.S 3, it is what most of the Canadian Universities want to see.
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2010
@Guddylover

Yea you can do it yourself without any Agency. I am very sure that with this thread and God, you will be fine.

For others to gain from our discussion, ( even years, after we have all gone to Canada) I think you should post your questions here on this thread. But if you insist then send it to me at activistcnc@yahoo.ca. I will be glad to help.
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 9:11pm On Dec 20, 2010
Cavad4real:

@ charlie thanks for the reply,i did science in my secondary school ,when applying to a new school in canada can i go for an Art course?pls i really want to know cos i have a science result. (2) how do i knw sch offering scholarships.

Yes you can apply for any course that you want for your undergraduate. And as a formal science student I think you have a better chances changing to art. But please use Google to get the real fact or check universities web site to be sure or contact universities admission officer.

You really need to do some work about the scholarship stuff. I will give you a list of schools that offer scholarship for undergraduate letter. Let me do some research myself about it. But I am very sure of University of Manitoba, McGill University and University of Toronto, They all give scholarship to any qualifying undergraduate students. I will post more list of schools letter.
Re: Travelling To Canada by babsharon(m): 9:51pm On Dec 20, 2010
@charlie,am new 2 dis thread but 2 go for postgraduate program in canada,like how much will be d upfront amount of cash to have and pls which of d skul is cheaper for postgraduate,i will appreciate if u can help me out.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cavad4real: 10:24pm On Dec 20, 2010
@ charlie i have googled out some schs.but i want to know whether going for a Diploma program will affect my application.
Re: Travelling To Canada by sosodat: 12:05am On Dec 21, 2010
@guddylover,

Yes, you can do the visa thing very much by yourself. Going through this thread and packaging your documentation with prayers is all you need. Sent my add across.

@ Charlie

Thanks for the congratulations. Seems you have a large heart, love your kind (always willing to help).
Going to Uni Windsor, Ontario.Yours? You've booked your flight? Can see you are an engineering colleague.
Re: Travelling To Canada by dadaja2004: 7:00pm On Dec 21, 2010
hello Delta,
please, how much do i need to hold if am traveling to canada on visitation? am staying with friends. How much do i enter into fund available for my stay in the form provided.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tosinosho1992: 9:22pm On Dec 21, 2010
@ dadaja2004

I guess you really do not want an answer to your question anytime soon. Delta has been silent for a while now. I suggest you address your question to everybody or other very active veterans.
Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 12:14am On Dec 22, 2010
@ nk-love

work is fine, tanx. i used a Gtbank visa card. please i like to get the contact or address u used to make enquiries at uleth cos if there is a program like a post bacalaureate certificate, its better for me than another undergraduate degree. how did u apply for the masters? please here is my email chims003@yahoo.co.uk. u can send me ur number lets talk plsssssssss.
Re: Travelling To Canada by cleakoms: 6:28am On Dec 22, 2010
@ Tosin,Congrats bro, i came across your posts and i know you can be of great help to me, I graduate in the UK with a first class honours in august 2011 and am thinking of doing my masters at the uni of ottawa( masters in E-business technologies). I read technologies and E-commerce here in uk.

bro, am only concerned about the funding and ties cos these are the things i do not really have, my emails is cleakoms@yahoo.com

please i will be most please if i can get info on the documents i need to show, the amount of funding required and some other things,
I live in oxford for now but got a house in London as well, i hope u're still around in the uk.

Thanks in anticipation
Re: Travelling To Canada by cau: 7:08am On Dec 22, 2010
@ Tosin,Congrats bro, i came across your posts and i know you can be of great help to me,  I graduate in the UK with a first class honours in august 2011 and am thinking of doing my masters at the uni of ottawa( masters in E-business technologies). I read technologies and E-commerce here in uk.

bro, am only concerned about the funding and ties  cos these are the things i do not really have, my emails is cleakoms@yahoo.com

please i will be most please if i can get info on the documents i need to show, the amount of funding required and some other things,
I live in oxford for now but got a house in London as well, i hope u're still around in the uk.

Thanks in anticipation

@ cleakoms

Since you are in the UK, simply follow the requirements given on the Canadian embassy website in UK. The requirements for student visa differs for different countries. I applied for my Canadian visa in Germany and it took just 2weeks, and another Nigerian that I know of , his took just 1 week. So just submit only the documents required  by the embassy in UK, that is if you are applying from UK.

Also , since you said you would be graduating with a first class, It is highly likely you would get funding if your intended masters program is thesis based. So make sure you find out. If it is course based certainly there is no funding.  University of Ottawa offers both course based and thesis based for the E-business technologies program.
Goodluck in your application
Re: Travelling To Canada by cau: 7:09am On Dec 22, 2010
@ Gulag

From my experiences, people with Msc from UK are mostly admitted to Msc( research based) in Canada even though they original applied for PhD, the reason is very clear. most masters degrees from UK are taught( course based). I have so many friends who experienced this.
[quote][/quote]
Re: Travelling To Canada by dadaja2004: 7:20am On Dec 22, 2010
thanks, tosin.
AN redirecting my question to the house?
DO any body got what to say to my question?
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 7:46am On Dec 22, 2010
sosodat:

@guddylover,

Yes, you can do the visa thing very much by yourself. Going through this thread and packaging your documentation with prayers is all you need. Sent my add across.

@ Charlie

Thanks for the congratulations. Seems you have a large heart, love your kind (always willing to help).
Going to Uni Windsor, Ontario.Yours? You've booked your flight? Can see you are an engineering colleague.

Yea, I am an Engineering student. I am going to University of Manitoba. I have booked my flight, I will be going with KLM on 30th.

dadaja2004:

thanks, tosin.
AN redirecting my question to the house?
DO any body got what to say to my question?

Well, Delta should have been the best person to answer this your question. Unfortunately, just like Tosinosho said, Delta have been silent for some time now. But you just have to hang on, I am very sure someone in the house will have an idea about your question.
Re: Travelling To Canada by obietrix: 9:13am On Dec 22, 2010
@charlie, I have not seen the SOP u sent.kindly send it again. thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada by sosodat: 10:43am On Dec 22, 2010
@Charlie,

Would have been on same flight. Mine is KLM on the 31st. Hope you are keeping an eye on flight cancellations due to the weather. Pray that wont be any of our portion. Sent you a mail.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tosinosho1992: 11:08am On Dec 22, 2010
@ cleakoms

Thanks for your congratulations. Somehow I'm still in London, was meant to travel of Saturday but Air Canada cancelled my flight because of the snow. So I've been re-booked for after Christmas. To your question, Cau has said it all. Just an addition, like I've always said, it's all about God, and different strokes for different folks. I can only advice you based on my own experience.

Showing proof of ties to your home country/country of habitual residence is somewhat subjective, if you would believe me, applicants only get refused on that grounds if the visa officer is not convinced of the bonafides of the applicant's intentions. If it would interest you, I applied in London without any tie to the UK i.e house or Long residence status, I only gave a letter from my brother and a proof of our family house in Nigeria. However, you must indicate clearly your intentions to leave Canada after your proposed course of study, and the socio-economic benefits your proposed course would bring to your home country. This could be done on your study plan. whatever documents you can show about your property, family, or job please include them. It would strengthen your application. So as long a there is a natural progression from your previous course of study and your proposed course, which obviously is right in your own case, you are good to go "all other things being normal".

I really do not know much about your circumstances, I'm guessing you're an international student in the UK, and would be completing your degree in 2011. If my guess is right, then you have all the time to research good schools that offer funding for your course. If your masters is two year researched based, you're most likely to get funding/financial assistance, if not the onus is on you to prove financial solvency. All you need do is show you have funds for you first year tuition fee and living expenses for the first year. Just on a bright side, I'm of the opinion that because you studied in the UK, that should in a way prove your financial wherewithal, and a good travel history.

Just on the side of caution, please prepare you application with care, trust me, the visa officer would look out for perfection in your application considering your first-class status, any avoidable mistake would be a minus. Yeah, most importantly, please check with your school if they accept a three year Bachelor's degree (that's what you have, I guess) for a Master's program, ;cos some schools don't.

Should you have any more question, please let me know. Would be glad to be of help.

All the best.

P*S
Your first class honours is a plus.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tosinosho1992: 11:23am On Dec 22, 2010
@ dadaja2004

Getting a visit visa is somewhat a tough one. The strength of your application would be more on what would compel you to return to your country after your visit (ties). If you are funding your trip, the baseline is, you must show you have enough funds to cover your air travel expenses, room and board, and other miscellaneous. The total of all that should be what you'll write on the application form, plus you must be ready to show the source of the funds. If a friend would be funding your trip or providing financial assistance of any sort, such friend should include a letter, and proof of funding.

Hope this would help, an oil company worker with a 500,000 naira account balance is more likely to get a visit visa than an unemployed man with 1.5million naira. So it's your call from here.

All the best.
Re: Travelling To Canada by dadaja2004: 11:38am On Dec 22, 2010
thanks tosin
Re: Travelling To Canada by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 22, 2010
Good day 2 u all, have beeen folowing this thread for sometime now, and will love to

apply for an undergraduate degree in canada, come fall 2011, pls 4 those

who av applied in d past, will like 2 know d list of needed document to be

provided through out d application period, both to d uni and embassy, estimate of money

needed 4 processing, do i need to use an agency? (no 2 get money to throw away) or DIY,

will also love 2 have a link to the low tuition schools, my field is sciences, Thanks inn anti

cipation for ur replies
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 8:18pm On Dec 22, 2010
charlie193:

Yea, I am an Engineering student. I am going to University of Manitoba. I have booked my flight, I will be going with KLM on 30th.
@Charlie193; let us know when you're in Manitoba, so we can stay in touch.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 8:35pm On Dec 22, 2010
dadaja2004:

hello Delta,
please, how much do i need to hold if am traveling to canada on visitation? am staying with friends. How much do i enter into fund available for my stay in the form provided.
See some facts:

"You must provide proof that you have enough money for your visit to Canada. The amount of money may vary, depending on the circumstances for your visit, how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives. You can get more information from the Canadian visa office in your country or region."
culled from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp

And, below is culled from FAQs of the Nigerian deputy high commission's web-page

"I have been invited to Canada. Should my host send your office copies of any supporting documents to assist with my application either by postal mail or email?

We would prefer that your application submission include all supporting documents. If applicable, you should include an invitation letter. The invitation letter should advise what personal documents will be made available and must include your hosts’ email contact details. Financial or other personal documents from your host may be sent directly to our office but only on our request after your file has been opened. Any extra documentation should include your name and file number. Documents sent to our office prior to receipt of an application and without a file number cannot be matched to the application and will not considered in the processing of the application, "
culled from http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/nigeria/visas/faq.aspx?lang=eng#visit

Hope this helps.
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 9:03pm On Dec 22, 2010
@Rare

Good to hear from you again. Hope the cold is not too much. Rare please I want to take some food stuff with me like Gound egusi , ground pepper, ground pepper soup mix, Carri Ijebu and beans, hope they will allow me to take them in to Canada. Because I no dey too like all this white people food and I know it will take me some time before I could adapt to their kind of food.

Rare, I can remember that you took some along with you. How far? Did they allow the food stuff?

@Lanreade

How far? Are u now in Canada now. Please post to let us know , I look forward seeing your post.
Re: Travelling To Canada by former: 11:44pm On Dec 22, 2010
ogbeche77:

Good day 2 u all, have beeen folowing this thread for sometime now, and will love to

apply for an undergraduate degree in canada, come fall 2011, pls 4 those

who av applied in d past, will like 2 know d list of needed document to be

provided through out d application period, both to d uni and embassy, estimate of money

needed 4 processing, do i need to use an agency? (no 2 get money to throw away) or DIY,

will also love 2 have a link to the low tuition schools, my field is sciences, Thanks inn anti

cipation for your replies

@Ogbeche77, These are the questions i wanted to ask also, I have reviewed varieties of Universities in Canada and I think I kinda like University of Manitoba, because i only had my TOEFL and GCE O'level result, so i gotta start from International college of Manitoba for UTP2 (university Transfer Program stage 2), i think that's a year course, before admission into Uni of Manitoba.

Please forumites, help the likes of Ogbeche77 and myself, God will reward you all.
Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 3:00am On Dec 23, 2010
charlie193:

@Rare
Good to hear from you again. Hope the cold is not too much. Rare please I want to take some food stuff with me like Gound egusi , ground pepper, ground pepper soup mix, Carri Ijebu and beans, hope they will allow me to take them in to Canada. Because I no dey too like all this white people food and I know it will take me some time before I could adapt to their kind of food.

Rare, I can remember that you took some along with you. How far? Did they allow the food stuff?

I had no problems. Other folks I know came in with food as well. Just pack it well into your[b] main luggage[/b]. Be reasonable with the quantity.
KLM will check your bag at the Nigerian port (LOS/ABV); as soon as you successfully check in at the Nigerian port, you're good to go.

If it's in your hand luggage, you may need to declare it at the Canadian port of entry, where forms are filled out. This is what I did.
Re: Travelling To Canada by cleakoms: 7:00am On Dec 23, 2010
@ Tosin,

i was in a rush while composing my previous post, made some errors there, I graduated few months back and got my result, i was meant to say August 2010.

I'm still gathering my docs for application to the University of Ottawa for the sep 2011 aca year,

Thanks for the information about the ties, i will get the necessary letters from Nigeria but as for Job, I just finished and haven't really gotten any professional job so, no job ties either here in uk or Nigeria for now,

I wish you all the best, email: me at cleakoms@yahoo.com or add me to fb : Akomolafe Clement opeyemi,

Congrats once again, God bless
Re: Travelling To Canada by seedgie(m): 4:06am On Dec 24, 2010
@gel03 thank, pls can i ve ur email adress or phone no: so dat i can ask some more direct questions.pls my is seedgie@yahoo.com, 08037536036
Re: Travelling To Canada by seedgie(m): 5:31am On Dec 24, 2010
@rare thanks for the info. will start checking their requirements for petroleum geoscience now. pls what do u think about university of regina($3000 tuition)?pls can i have your email address? this is my seedgie@yahoo.com.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 7:09am On Dec 24, 2010
seedgie:

@rare thanks for the info. will start checking their requirements for petroleum geoscience now. pls  what do u think about university of regina($3000 tuition)?pls can i have your email address? this is my seedgie@yahoo.com.

I think Uni of Regina, if it has what you need. It's generally one of the so-called mid-tier schools.
The tuition fee is average; looks like a good deal to me.

Also Uni of Regina would probably waive TOEFL for you. See the list of universities (in Nigeria) on the exemption list : http://www.uregina.ca/gradstudies/intl/univ_exempted.shtml
Re: Travelling To Canada by namebedis1: 10:58am On Dec 24, 2010
i will be in canada in a few weeks and just wanted to know where would be ideal for a newcomer to settle quickly that is relatively cheap and not too stressful to get a job.
Also i would like to know if its possible to get cash jobs while on a visitors visa,even if working underground before i finalise my status change.
your response is greatly needed folks

thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (189)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.