Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,796 members, 7,827,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (455050 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by aliogor: 1:24am On Jan 04, 2011
house pls i need list of universities offering information system and technology preferably ontario or manitoba cheers men
Re: Travelling To Canada by shilling(f): 12:23pm On Jan 04, 2011
Wishing everyone a wonderful 2011, and to all the JJC - welcome to Canada!
Re: Travelling To Canada by pharmow: 11:33pm On Jan 06, 2011
Happy new year to u guys.I hope year 2011 will be a memorable one for the forumites.
Lets keep the spirit of this thread going strong.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Babalola33: 2:37am On Jan 07, 2011
@All
Pls answer Ogbeche's question
We have similar querry

ogbeche77:

Good day 2 u all, have beeen folowing this thread for sometime now, and will love to

apply for an undergraduate degree in canada, come fall 2011, pls 4 those

who av applied in d past, will like 2 know d list of needed document to be

provided through out d application period, both to d uni and embassy, estimate of money

needed 4 processing, do i need to use an agency? (no 2 get money to throw away) or DIY,

will also love 2 have a link to the low tuition schools, my field is sciences, Thanks inn anti

cipation for your replies
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 8:02am On Jan 07, 2011
benom:

@Rare, the book work suppose don finish na, abi?
Happy new yr to all my peeps

Finished temporarily; but to re-start soon again.
Re: Travelling To Canada by MARCLEO(m): 1:48pm On Jan 07, 2011
hello guys am back and i got my visa after waiting for so long men i feel like am the happiest man on earth and to tell you the truth its like a miracle, cos after going through all the documents some people who made it submitted i thought that i was never going to make it but as of yesterday evening when i got home meeeeeeeeeeen i saw my package,, first i was scared but i later made up my mind well to God be the glory i have my visa and i still say its a miracle,
i will also use this opportunity to thank those who were on my side those great pals encouraging me all these while you know yourselves thank you so much, besides i will be heading for Toronto anyone there and i do have a lil issue with booking tickets and getting an apartment to rent any suggestions plssss i will be glad to hear from you guy, and you can ask me anything you want and i will be glad to answer
thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada by symbian03(m): 4:47pm On Jan 07, 2011
oh marcleo, Big congrat and happy new year.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Busta(f): 4:49pm On Jan 07, 2011
Congrats Marcello, Canada awaits you.

Tips . . . .make sure u bring a very thick winter jacket or sweater. Wintr season here can be very brutal!
Re: Travelling To Canada by uniknet: 4:50pm On Jan 07, 2011
Hi guys, i must say d replies from u guys have made me fall in love with canada smiley smiley smiley. I am in d middle of my application to university of ontario institute of technology. How do i go about paying for the application fee of 100 canadian dollars sad sad sad. i live in Nigeria. Useful responses needed urgently .
Re: Travelling To Canada by Busta(f): 4:54pm On Jan 07, 2011
uniknet:

Hi guys, i must say d replies from u guys have made me fall in love with canada smiley smiley smiley. I am in d middle of my application to university of ontario institute of technology. How do i go about paying for the application fee of 100 canadian dollars sad sad sad. i live in Nigeria. Useful responses needed urgently .

If you have families in either Canada, USA or even UK. they can use their credit card to pay for you and y'all can 't sort it out later or you can send the money to them in naija. Just a suggestion.
Re: Travelling To Canada by guddylover(m): 4:56pm On Jan 07, 2011
MARCLEO:

hello guys am back and i got my visa after waiting for so long men i feel like am the happiest man on earth and to tell you the truth its like a miracle, cos after going through all the documents some people  who made it submitted i thought that i was never going to make it but as of yesterday evening when i got home meeeeeeeeeeen i saw my package,, first i was scared but i  later made up my mind well to God be the glory i have my visa and i still say its a miracle,
i will also use this opportunity to thank those who were on my side those great pals encouraging me all these while you know yourselves thank you so much, besides i will be heading for Toronto anyone there and i do have a lil issue with booking tickets and getting an apartment to rent any suggestions plssss i will be glad  to hear from you guy, and you can ask me anything you want and i will be glad to answer
thanks

marcelo,

Glory be to GOD,i am planning to apply for this fall 2011 semester and i am really praying that GOD would see me through,i would like to ask some questions.

1. Did you pay any tuition before getting your visa or did they tell you to show confirmation while your package is still in progress ?
2.Did you get your visa through any agent?like Maple?
3, What school are you going to in ontario?

Speak soon.
Re: Travelling To Canada by uniknet: 5:13pm On Jan 07, 2011
Quote from: uniknet on Today at 04:50:52 PM
Hi guys, i must say d replies from u guys have made me fall in love with canada . I am in d middle of my application to university of ontario institute of technology. How do i go about paying for the application fee of 100 canadian dollars . i live in Nigeria. Useful responses needed urgently .

If you have families in either Canada, USA or even UK. they can use their credit card to pay for you and y'all can 't sort it out later or you can send the money to them in naija. Just a suggestion.

@busta
thanks for ur response. The families I have there are not really close-ties n more-over I would have prefered taking care of it myself without involving them.
Re: Travelling To Canada by MARCLEO(m): 6:11pm On Jan 07, 2011
guddylover:

marcelo,

Glory be to GOD,i am planning to apply for this fall 2011 semester and i am really praying that GOD would see me through,i would like to ask some questions.

1. Did you pay any tuition before getting your visa or did they tell you to show confirmation while your package is still in progress ?
2.Did you get your visa through any agent?like Maple?
3, What school are you going to in ontario?

Speak soon.
  mr guddylover like i said before its like a miracle i haven't paid for any tuition fee, and i did not use any agent, and the school is centennial college
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 8:25pm On Jan 07, 2011
uniknet:

I used GTB USD visa card. Can be gotten if you open a domiciliary current account, which is quite easy to do.
http://www.gtbank.com/domiciliary-account.html
Moreover, it is can still be used even when you get to Canada.
Re: Travelling To Canada by ifegy: 1:49am On Jan 08, 2011
MARCLEO:

hello guys am back and i got my visa after waiting for so long men i feel like am the happiest man on earth and to tell you the truth its like a miracle, cos after going through all the documents some people who made it submitted i thought that i was never going to make it but as of yesterday evening when i got home meeeeeeeeeeen i saw my package,, first i was scared but i later made up my mind well to God be the glory i have my visa and i still say its a miracle,
i will also use this opportunity to thank those who were on my side those great pals encouraging me all these while you know yourselves thank you so much, besides i will be heading for Toronto anyone there and i do have a lil issue with booking tickets and getting an apartment to rent any suggestions plssss i will be glad to hear from you guy, and you can ask me anything you want and i will be glad to answer
thanks

If you are interested in getting off campus housing, some universities make information about off campus housing available on their websites (check student housing section). Or the student housing office could give you some information. Try calling or emailing them.
Other sources: www.places4students.com (you may need to the email address your school will give you to sign up, though)
Kijiji: www.kijiji.ca
Craigslist: toronto.craigslist.ca
Re: Travelling To Canada by guddylover(m): 2:12pm On Jan 08, 2011
@all,

On my international passport page my place of birth shows Akure.i want to know if i can use my birth cert. from one of the local goverment here in Lagos?
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 3:05am On Jan 09, 2011
guddylover:

@all,

On my international passport page my place of birth shows Akure.i want to know if i can use my birth cert. from one of the local goverment here in Lagos?

Not sure the implication.

But if you want to maintain consistency, it is easier to get a court declaration to match the passport birth location, than to modify the passport's info.
Re: Travelling To Canada by MARCLEO(m): 7:20am On Jan 10, 2011
Guys help me hw do i get a cheap flight to canada?, and do i also book directly? cos these agents wnts to cut my neck with their price pls urgent help needed
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 7:44am On Jan 10, 2011
MARCLEO:

Guys help me hw do i get a cheap flight to canada?, and do i also book directly? cos these agents wnts to cut my neck with their price pls urgent help needed

You can work directly with the airlines of course. A lot of folks have told me Royal Air Maroc gave them the best deals to Canada.
Try to contact them:
Royal Air Maroc Nigeria
42 Akin Adesola. Lagos 101003, Nigeria
01-904 3083
Open Weekdays 9am-5pm
Re: Travelling To Canada by Raphel2011: 10:29pm On Jan 10, 2011
Hi Nairalanders  grin,  I would like to ask from lovely Nairalanders if i stand a chance of getting a Canadian student visa. Below are my criterials :

*I graduated from High school in July 2009 and I was the assistant head boy of my school.
*I got admission in Humber College located in Toronto
*I travel a lot. I have been to London for over 15 times and i have been in U.s once.
*I went to a computer school from January last year to July last year and I obtained upper credit in my certificate
*My dad is a retired Chief petroleum geologist with Nigerian National Petroleum Cooperation (NNPC) with a pension of N340,000 every month
*My dad who would be my sponsor has about N1.5m in his account presently and he has 3 houses where he gets rent from which sums to about N4m every year.

Do you people think I stand a chance to get the student visa? undecided
Thanks for your time cheesy. God bless Y'all
P.S My admission is for May 2011.
Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 12:20am On Jan 11, 2011
U should get a visa. i hope ur age is still ok as in less than 26
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 1:33am On Jan 11, 2011
@Raphel2011, you stand a chance as everybody else. How you present all that detail to the High Commission will determine probability of success.
Study the visa requirements, and see how you can map this profile here to what is required. The vital questions are:
Eg; how do you prove your dad's financial income is steady and can match your tuition/living cost in Toronto? How do you prove his income doesn't have other outlays that could jeopardize your studies? How do you prove you will return after your studies?
Re: Travelling To Canada by himanshu5: 2:39pm On Jan 11, 2011
Hi all i want to ask that whether is there any chances of doing higher studies from Canada. I had just completed my 12th so i am planning to do higher studies from there. Will i be avle to get visa easily or not.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 3:11pm On Jan 11, 2011
You need to do a better job getting a decent institution. There's no point leaving Nigeria to pay high international fees only to end up in a College trying to get some watered-down degree. When there are universities all over Canada, why settle for a college? undecided

With regards your question, nobody here knows if you'd get a Visa. What some of us know is that if you put in a good application, you stand a chance of getting a visa. Goodluck!
Raphel2011:

Hi Nairalanders grin, I would like to ask from lovely Nairalanders if i stand a chance of getting a Canadian student visa. Below are my criterials :

*I graduated from High school in July 2009 and I was the assistant head boy of my school.
*I got admission in Humber College located in Toronto
*I travel a lot. I have been to London for over 15 times and i have been in U.s once.
*I went to a computer school from January last year to July last year and I obtained upper credit in my certificate
*My dad is a retired Chief petroleum geologist with Nigerian National Petroleum Cooperation (NNPC) with a pension of N340,000 every month
*My dad who would be my sponsor has about N1.5m in his account presently and he has 3 houses where he gets rent from which sums to about N4m every year.

Do you people think I stand a chance to get the student visa? undecided
Thanks for your time cheesy. God bless Y'all
P.S My admission is for May 2011.
Re: Travelling To Canada by kentro201: 8:55pm On Jan 11, 2011
hello, uniket, i know someone that can help you pay, he did pay for mine university of alberta, and you will get the receipt on the spot, he charges a token amount, call me if you still have interest.08058555173
Re: Travelling To Canada by kentro201: 9:00pm On Jan 11, 2011
hello uniket, how much is the fee, and are you paying for an application fee?, if so, then contact me for someone who help me pay for mine, and i got the receipt and other documents, but receipt instantly, 08058555173
Re: Travelling To Canada by Raphel2011: 10:11pm On Jan 11, 2011
Thanks to everybody that replied to my post and I'm very sorry about the late reply, apparently I cant post on Nairaland with my bb so i had to wait till i get home.
@
gel03:

U should get a visa. i hope your age is still ok as in less than 26
Thanks gel03. I am going to be 19 next month.
@Rare, Those are very relevant and important questions. I will try my possible best to answer them well in the form and I hope my immigration lawyer who charged me $1,000 will help out as well.  Thanks man.

@Delta 007, trust me brova, Humber is a very reputable College in Toronto. i know you got the right to ask why I chose the college but the fact is if I stay in the college for 18 months, I can transfer to York Uni for the remaining 2years. So its still like the same thing bruv or do you still think i should get a Uni by all means? undecided
BTW, I tried to get admission into University of Manitoba for the university 1 program but my dad's friend said the crime rate there is higher than that of Toronto.
I am thinking of getting a letter of recommendation from my Principal, hope that will help a little bit?
Re: Travelling To Canada by Busta(f): 10:14pm On Jan 11, 2011
Humber College is a reputable college in Toronto and they have some decent degree programs as well, since the college is affiliated with York University. There is a friend of mine that graduated with a degree from Humber and then transfered her credits there-off to York University for a second degree.

all the same, good luck!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 2:08am On Jan 12, 2011
Ok, I should not have said "watered-down". I just could not find the right word for it. All colleges and universities have accredited programs so you could attend any if you wish. They'd gladly take your money and give you any certificate you desire. In Canada, institutional reputation is good but not critical.

However, for someone coming from Nigeria who is likely going to be paying alot of money (international fees), you are better of getting into a very good professional program; that way, when you graduate, you have a good shot at getting into the system/workforce relatively easily. I'm no fan of doing an undergrad degree for 4yrs and going to do a Masters degree simply because you realise your 4yr degree is getting you nothing/no where. Going thru the program list on Humber College's website (or any Canadian College), you'd realise that they rarely (or never) offer professional degrees (except maybe nursing). I do not have an idea what you want to do but I'm often baffled by Nigerian parents who send their kids abroad to ready Engineering Technology for instance, the fact that "engineering" is in Engineering Technology does not mean it's an engineering degree. When such a student graduates, his/her path to being a technician (not an Engineer) is set. He/she works under an Engineer. An average Canadian will have no problem with that but to me it's a waste of time and money for someone coming in from Nigeria. You may as well stay in Nigeria, get a first degree in Engineering and try to do a Masters in Engineering later on. It's all about planning and positioning yourself and your career for the future rather than just applying for the sake of applying or "schooling abroad" for the heck of it. Universities and Colleges in this part of the world are business entities and will gladly give you admission and take your tuition.

As  for going to Humber and transfering to York, feel free. If I were in your shoes, I'd rather stay in York from the start. this ensures that you are relatively stable, you have found your niche and a good study group especially after your first year instead of having to switch. Secondly, in terms of immigration, if you do two years in Humber for instance and transfer to York to do another two yrs for a bachelors, when you graduate, you are eligible for a 2 yr post graduate work permit. Someone who did 4yrs straight at York (or any other university) will get a 3yr work permit. Thirdly, most universities that have professional programs, have good contacts and coop programs (internships). I usually recommend a coop program to any student (domestic or international). This is an opportunity to gain good hands on experience and get good contacts. Some of the colleges have coop programs but they are usually a wash/shorter than what the universities. In the end, my thoughts are you get more value from Canadian universities than colleges; these are simply my thoughts. I'm not saying Colleges are not good or reputable but Canadian colleges are there for a different segment of the "market" and I do not think that segment includes International students especially from Nigeria. But then, what do I know?

BTW, Uni of Manitoba is not the only other university in Canada. Funny enough, there are lots of Nigerian students there. I dunno where you dad's friend got his stats from; my only strike against Manitoba is that it is colder than than Toronto. However, I'd pick other Canadian cities over Toronto for an undergrad coming from Nigeria.
Raphel2011:

@Delta 007, trust me brova, Humber is a very reputable College in Toronto. i know you got the right to ask why I chose the college but the fact is if I stay in the college for 18 months, I can transfer to York Uni for the remaining 2years. So its still like the same thing bruv or do you still think i should get a Uni by all means? undecided
BTW, I tried to get admission into University of Manitoba for the university 1 program but my dad's friend said the crime rate there is higher than that of Toronto.
I am thinking of getting a letter of recommendation from my Principal, hope that will help a little bit?
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 2:15am On Jan 12, 2011
Busta:

Humber College is a reputable college in Toronto and they have some decent degree programs as well, since the college is affiliated with York University. There is a friend of mine that graduated with a degree from Humber and then transfered her credits there-off to York University for a second degree.

all the same, good luck!
Courses from Humber College are going to be accepted in most Canadian (and North American) universities simply because of their accreditation. But then, a second degree? Unless it's a Masters degree, I'm guessing the first could not get her what she wanted. See my response to Raphel.
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 6:22pm On Jan 12, 2011
Delta007:

Thirdly, most universities that have professional programs, have good contacts and coop programs (internships). I usually recommend a coop program to any student (domestic or international). This is an opportunity to gain good hands on experience and get good contacts. Some of the colleges have coop programs but they are usually a wash/shorter than what the universities. In the end, my thoughts are you get more value from Canadian universities than colleges; these are simply my thoughts. I'm not saying Colleges are not good or reputable but Canadian colleges are there for a different segment of the "market" and I do not think that segment includes International students especially from Nigeria. But then, what do I know?

Most valid point made in that post - good advice Delta.

Most of the jobs at 'graduate' level in Canada tend to go to people who've done internships. Even if you have a masters degree and you're competing against someone with a Bachelor's + internship, most companies will choose the latter over the master's candidate. This is not 'dem say' but something I've experienced first hand.

I actually remember one employer telling me to my face that they don't take people with master's degrees for their graduate positions!

Whatever you do, try your best to gain some work experience/internship before leaving school - it massively improves your chances of getting employment after graduation.

@ Delta

If a person studied for 18 months/2 years at Humber and then transferred to York, I think you'd still be in with a good chance at getting a coop placement since they tend to be in the 3rd year (if memory serves me well). The 2 vs 3 year work permit is a lesser concern IMO since you'd be eligible to apply for PR under the Canadian experience class.

On the other hand, if you can get University admission in the first instance, go after it with all your energy. The idea of simply 'schooling abroad' is clearly not sufficient. I have a close friend who decided to study for a Diploma at Capilano College (now university - well respected institution in British Columbia) but ended up having to go to take a Masters Degree and decided to do so in the UK afterwards because the Diploma wasn't really that valuable in the job market.

@ Raphael

One of the main determinants to getting visas is proving you have ties to Nigeria - If I were you, I'd tell your dad to transfer the ownership of one of the houses to your name. That way you can tell them you will definitely be coming back to live in your ready built house. grin

All the best.
Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 6:45pm On Jan 12, 2011
please i need suggestions from delta007 and debosky or anyone with suggestions. VERY URGENT PLEASE

i have a bachelors degree in business administration but graduated wit a 2.2 (2.97) cgpa and for this reason, getting a masters degree program there in canada is difficult. so far, i have applied to memorial university for masters in employment relations as i was told they require 50% from nigerians. i also applied to university of lethbridge for a mgt as a second degree program with major in human resources(undergraduate with co-op) and now i wanna apply to george brown college(PG HUMAN RESOURCES with 4months co-op). i have just changed the application for uleth to a one year mgt certificate because i was told that if i complete d certificate program with a 3/4 gpa, i will be eligible to apply for an msc in mgt.instead of doing another undergraduate degree for about 2yrs, i felt 1yr certificate program and then proceed to the 1yr msc. What do you guyz think? please i need your candid advice.

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (189)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.