Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,172 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (99) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (454761 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by eky102: 2:02pm On Apr 15, 2011
@ obietrox, i am applying for fall 2011, thanks for the info, when was your deadlina and have you gotten any decision yet?
Re: Travelling To Canada by eky102: 4:32pm On Apr 15, 2011
Please does the university of regina accept 2.2. A cgpa of 4.5 on a 7.0 scale?
Re: Travelling To Canada by ayoalade(m): 4:58pm On Apr 15, 2011
@ eky102 - going back to all of your postings, I was concern about the transcript situation but I believe folks here have been able to shed some light on that. Communication is the key, you will have to communicate with MUN otherwise, all they will do is "follow the book". They will stricty go by the stipulate protocol and would not give you preferential treatment unless you communicate that fact. Call them, explain that you have some logistical issues per obtaining your transcripts from Nigeria and that's why you've sent them what you have until you are able to sort out the situation. That may by you some time while you apply for your official transcripts to be sent to them.

per your question about University of Regina, there is no clear cut answer. The general rule is that you need at least a B average for any graduate program. Having said that, the final decision rest on the unversity based on the assessment of each applicant - your educational background and other factors taken into consideration. Again, the only way you can find out (which may not be the way you'd have hoped) will be to apply. It may be true that someone got in with a 2.2 but that may not be the case for you. 2.2 will be an exception not the rule.
Re: Travelling To Canada by mevisbleek: 11:06pm On Apr 17, 2011
I finished my masters at Carleton University, i saw a naija boy get in with 2.2. To get in with 2.2 u have to be hear to convince the admission officers that u are competent, but u are applying directly from naija without being present here their is a high chance that they will not give u the admission. Why dont u do a post graduate diploma after that u can get a job with that degree, after couple of years u go for ur masters. I have a masters degree and I dont feel any much different, no be even say work plenty like that self
Re: Travelling To Canada by eky102: 11:15pm On Apr 17, 2011
@mevisbleek ok that's coolm so if one was to apply for. A post graduate diploma, what intituttion do you recommend? Was thinking of george brown. Which other omees do you recommend that will be recognised be the canadian high commission cause i heard they usuually deny people going for post graduate diploma?
Re: Travelling To Canada by mevisbleek: 11:37pm On Apr 17, 2011
Goerge brown
Humber college
centennial college
Seneca college (this is inside york univeristy, the land of sexy divas)
algonquin college (this is in ottawa, ottwa is a dead town)

U can research for more, this are the one that i know that naija dudes attend
Re: Travelling To Canada by FIMO: 2:43am On Apr 18, 2011
Good Day House,
It's really good to see this trend grow from strength to strength, even an agent will learn alot from this trend. Inasmuch as much ve been said on this trend there are still some unique cases, this is why this trend will be on for a long time, cos no two application is the same.

I'll be reapplying in the next few weeks after being denied a yr ago, among the reasons they gave for the refusal was that i had conditions on my offer which was that i provide official prove of my degree and diploma b4 my first registration, since my offer was valid till fall 2010, i had to reapply and pay for another application/offer for the same course/school for another academic yr, but still have the same condition on my offer despite providing all the required docs, when i complained to the sch, they told me that most of their international students have such conditions on their offer. When i asked the sch what they meant by official prove and translation of degree/diploma, i was told it's the cert itself. In my quest to get the conditions removed i offered to send my cert via a return courier envelope but the sch refused insisting the offer okay for visa application and i m a bonafide student, so i'm hoping to attach sch's email response with my offer this time. I'll be using my sponsor's personal acct this time to avoid another issue with his company's acct this tym.

But i'll like to know from the House if CDHC always return one's international passport with the return envelope when called to go for Medicals/ interview please i need to get this fact right it's important for me.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 5:55am On Apr 18, 2011
@eky 102,

I will go with Seneca College (not becos of sexy divas though lolz but because of the reputation of the college, career prospect and programs)

Then if Seneca doesnt click, I will try Humber College. If its for IT related try Lamton College Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Professional (Its expensive but damn major job prospects).

Some universities also have PGD or pre masters program, you might wanna research that as well.
Re: Travelling To Canada by chychy2: 8:53pm On Apr 18, 2011
Hello everyone,
wow, really loving dis forum though i am a newcomer. pls i would like io make enquiry on what r my chances in working in a reputable HR firm in canada. though i wuld be going for a post graduate program on human resource management in conestoga college, but i would like towork for short period of time before embarking for msc. lastly pls i would to know if anyone on Nl is attending or going to conestoga college. becos i wuld be coming by God grace next month. thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada by eky102: 8:58pm On Apr 18, 2011
@ chi chii, congrats, when did you actually apply, because i need to enroll in a post graduate program equally, cus my cgpa is low. When did you apply and what is the general requirement? Do they accept a 2.2 from a nigeria university and wha course di Ɣ☺ΰ study?
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 9:08pm On Apr 18, 2011
@chy chy

Next month is early, when does your class start and when did you apply for your visa. details!!!
Re: Travelling To Canada by chychy2: 8:03am On Apr 19, 2011
@ eky n cuddlemi, i actually applied last yr oct but my document was returned becos d bank in which d visa payment was made, cdhic werent operating with d bank any longer. although d school will be resuming jan, but called d sch n explained d situation at hand in which the sch sent me a may acceptance form. moreover d school has three stream for int student; jan, may n september. d requirement sincerely speaking is really stressful n tedious, but God saw me through. firstly u need to apply to d college early , 2 submission of transcript n sec sch i.e ss1 to ss3 including waesc n neco, 3 payment of acceptance fee. after all dis has been done d sch will sent u an acceptance letter though it take like wks before it arrive nigeria, so inorder to avoid disappointment u need to apply on time becos it is via courier. once u receive d courier n d acceptance letter is sent to ur email, then u need to atleast make half of d payment to show dat u really intend coming to d school. @ cuddlemi i read banking n finance.
Re: Travelling To Canada by eky102: 8:09am On Apr 19, 2011
@ chy chy, ok that's good, am actually thinking of applying to the school tooo. Did you use an online applicatiion? Then concerning CGPA mine is quite low. 4.5 on a 7.0 scale with a psychology course? Then how much is the tuition and how much did you deposist to get acceptance letter?
Re: Travelling To Canada by chychy2: 8:33am On Apr 19, 2011
really i can actually remember but i think $500 for d acceptance fee, but check in their website for verification i.e www. conestoga.on.ca. guess u need to start apply if coming sept. concerning d cgp stuff really it is difficult to get an admission wit a 2.2 or 2.1 though i was discouraged n wanted to apply to uk but my senior sister advised dat i go to canada atleast d pdg will upgrade my cv. all d best in urs n most importantly trust in God n u will get ur visa.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 9:25am On Apr 19, 2011
@Chy Chy

I was actually asking about your visa processing and updates and not school but the info was ok only you didnt elaborate on the study permit visa.
Re: Travelling To Canada by chychy2: 10:07am On Apr 19, 2011
@ cuddlemi sorry i culdnt elaborate on d visa process becos i was using my phone to chat n not my system. well for d visa process, it is quite tedious n hetic like i stated earlier. d requirement i submitted were 1 submission of my acceptance letter, photocopy of my uni n sec transcript, wacen nec certificate, a letter i.e stating who my sponor r , his financial capabilities n stating d strong ties wit my country. moreover whoever u sponsor is need to submit orginal vital doc like tax doc, memodradum of certificate if he is self dependant n he must represent is bank statement. apart frm dat i submitted my uni statement of result, all these r original copies. once it is done n it is cross checked dat they r orginal then u will be called for medicals. though it took 3wks berfore i was called for medicals. but once u r called for medicals u r 100per sure u will be granted a visa except d medical report state otherwise. hope dis info helps. all d best
Re: Travelling To Canada by ayoalade(m): 5:55pm On Apr 19, 2011
@ all - just to bring this back into perspective as the question keeps coming back over and and over again. A GPA of 2.2 is essentially not sufficient for admission into Master's Programs. However, with that said, it is important to know that there are so many other factors taken into considering dependin on the type of program you're going into. These, I believe are some of the reasons why some individuals have been able to get acceptance with such GPA. So, we need to remember that this is not the norm, rather it is the institution exercise their rights to consider other factor.

Certainly doing things to improve your marks, such as going into a PGD program would be a good idea but be cautious and know that it is not a guarantee that you will be accepted into a Master's program upon the completion of the diploma program. The bottom line, speak with the school where you're intending to take the Master's program and get a feel from them before embarking on the PGD program.

So, if you're aiming for Master's studies you should be thinking at least a B average GPA or better to be competitive.

Certainly doing things to improve your mark

@ Chy-Chy - HR, is an area that you will find in almost every organization, so the chances of getting a job in that field is relatively high. Now, having said, that. Is your program a co-op program? (i.e. does it have a study and work component attached to it?). If this is the case, you might be able to gain some valuable experience during your studies and prior to commencing your Master's program.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by chychy2: 7:44pm On Apr 19, 2011
@ ayolade,
thanks for the advise, but i dont think my program is attached to d practical aspect becos d program duration is 6 months. i.e will be rounding up december this yr. what uni r u attending in canada?
Re: Travelling To Canada by harrymann(m): 10:38pm On Apr 19, 2011
FIMO:

Good Day House,
It's really good to see this trend grow from strength to strength, even an agent will learn alot from this trend. Inasmuch as much ve been said on this trend there are still some unique cases, this is why this trend will be on for a long time, cos no two application is the same.

I'll be reapplying in the next few weeks after being denied a yr ago, among the reasons they gave for the refusal was that i had conditions on my offer which was that i provide official prove of my degree and diploma b4 my first registration, since my offer was valid till fall 2010, i had to reapply and pay for another application/offer for the same course/school for another academic yr, but still have the same condition on my offer despite providing all the required docs, when i complained to the sch, they told me that most of their international students have such conditions on their offer. When i asked the sch what they meant by official prove and translation of degree/diploma, i was told it's the cert itself. In my quest to get the conditions removed i offered to send my cert via a return courier envelope but the sch refused insisting the offer okay for visa application and i m a bonafide student, so i'm hoping to attach sch's email response with my offer this time. I'll be using my sponsor's personal acct this time to avoid another issue with his company's acct this tym.

But i'll like to know from the House if CDHC always return one's international passport with the return envelope when called to go for Medicals/ interview please i need to get this fact right it's important for me.

@ all am happy to see that the house is bubbling real good. God bless every one. If you are making any application to the CDHC, i will advice you go thru the whole pages of this thread and put all your necessary documents together. I got my study permit reading and being a part of this great house.

@ Fimo, when the CDHC calls as you to go for medicals, they will return your your passport port along with the invitation for medicals in the parcels. your documents might not be return until your your VISA is approved. since you will still have to send back your passport to them after doing the medicals. In my case , it was after the medicals that they return all my original documents. I hope this will help.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 8:35am On Apr 20, 2011
@ all

I know this sounds lame but please can you specify how many forms and names of forms to be filled out for the Study permit application.

Is it better to download it from the Canadian website for Canada or Canadian website for Naijas ( .i.e. Canadian High Commision, Canada or Canadian High Commision, Nigeria Region)

Happy Easter Hols Y'all
Re: Travelling To Canada by suxes2005(m): 9:14am On Apr 20, 2011
@ayoalade, i sent you a message and i still
await your reply

SHALOM
Re: Travelling To Canada by ayoalade(m): 12:51pm On Apr 20, 2011
@ chy-chy - no I'm not a student in Canada, I was a student about 12 years ago. I live here.

@ cuddlemii - looks like you've been having difficulty with these forms. I would advise you download the forms on the Nigerian site as this will specifically target students applying from Nigeria. Don't confuse yourself with the information on the main site pertaining to international student, otherwise, you will keep going back and forth with this whole thing.
Re: Travelling To Canada by ashley86(f): 4:32pm On Apr 20, 2011
Hi guys,
am still a student at UNIOSUN but am graduating july 2012. Wish to travel to Canada for my Masters but dont know which uni to apply to, Recommendations are highly welcome!!!How soon do I need to apply to Canadian universities to get admission for the september 2012 program. Also, any info about scholarships will be welcome.

Pls note that I'm studying computer science in the uni presently and am currently on a 4.12 grin
Suggestions are highly welcome!!!!!
Re: Travelling To Canada by ayoalade(m): 6:56pm On Apr 20, 2011
@ ashley86 - what are program are you planning to study? This will help to recommend schools for you. I live in Nova Scotia and I attended Dalhousie University, which is one of the oldest and best Universities in Canada. By the way, your 4.12 is that on a scale of 7?
Re: Travelling To Canada by ashley86(f): 7:56pm On Apr 20, 2011
@ayoalade am planning to study software engineering or data communications, My 4.12 is on Ą̸̸̸ scale of 5.0 pls dnt 4get 2 recommend scholarships as well, tnks
Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 6:09am On Apr 21, 2011
@ CUDDLEMII

Just go to nigeria.gc.ca all the forms u need to fill are there for u to download. you will also find an instruction guide there for u to download too. Make sure u read the instruction guide properly.
Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 6:21am On Apr 21, 2011
@ all Memorial applicants

I tire for Memorial University o. They are so slow in reviewing applications. My online status has been displaying '' Application Complete'' for almost one month now or more. Sent them a mail and one Noseworthy replied me that my application is complete and ready for review. Na wa for them o. E be like say we dey beg them o. IT IS WELL.
Re: Travelling To Canada by neroflick(m): 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2011
@gel03 , I tire for them too oh.

Got a surprise rejection from U of S (my preferred school) last week after several months of waiting for a decision. I guess I underestimated the importance of this supervisor thingy cos besides that and GRE, I though my app was good enough to get me in. I just hope I get into Memorial cos the signs am see ain't good at all.

Here's wishing all the remaining Fall 2011 admission hopefuls all the best!

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by neroflick(m): 2:21pm On Apr 21, 2011
@gel03 , I tire for them too oh.

Got a surprise rejection from U of S (my preferred school) last week after several months of waiting for a decision. I guess I underestimated the importance of this supervisor thingy cos besides that and GRE, I though my app was good enough to get me in. I just hope I get into Memorial cos the signs am see ain't good at all.

Here's wishing all the remaining Fall 2011 admission hopefuls all the best!
Re: Travelling To Canada by chychy2: 5:37pm On Apr 21, 2011
wow ayoalade, dat really long though i considering going to d uni u attended heard iis one of d best n oldest school in canada. just got my visa today frm d embassy.
Re: Travelling To Canada by chychy2: 5:37pm On Apr 21, 2011
wow ayoalade, dat really long though i considering going to d uni u attended heard iis one of d best n oldest school in canada. just got my visa today frm d embassy.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 6:12pm On Apr 21, 2011
@chy chy

Babes show off your victory and success by telling us when you applied etc. That way, we hopefuls can learn and observe.

Congrats dear.

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (189)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.