Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,841 members, 7,817,491 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? (9738 Views)

Do Muslims Celebrate Misfortune To Others While Christians Don't? / Kaduna Muslims Celebrate Death Of Governor / Should Muslims Celebrate Valentine's Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Wizeboy(m): 10:30am On Feb 08, 2013
strangest: use your brain and stop depending on what people wrote in the past..

Is not about what people wrote or said in the past, but the principles and fundamental of Islam.

Even the past words you mentioned can still add value to your life if you follow it wisely; have you forgotten that the scripture you claim to abide with and follow are what people wrote in the past.

BTW: I never believe or celebrate Valentine because to me, I didnt see it as something special. I try as much as possible to show love to everybody around me everyday of the year. Why would I decide to put a day aside to show love when I have the opportunity to show it every second of my life.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Exponental(m): 10:31am On Feb 08, 2013
"To avoid being banned, pls ensure your post is not offensive to Islam."

@above
why not close d thread instead! I have never seen this on a christian thread before......why

I reserve my comment till d rainy day!!!
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by mike404(m): 10:44am On Feb 08, 2013
Well,I don't wanna get banned so I'm outta here embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Sike(m): 10:44am On Feb 08, 2013
mutaalim: No, a sincere Muslim should not celebrate valentine

By the way what is the meaning of valentine from their mouth ( a day to show love)

But in islam everyday of your life you have to show love, expression, devotion, partiality, emotion, enchantment, pash, adulation and enjoyment to your beloved wife/ husband not boyfriend / girlfriend.

Regards
Seconded.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 08, 2013
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by rbjimoh: 10:55am On Feb 08, 2013
maclatunji:

[color=#006600][/color]A very interesting observation. Islam forbids such... it only goes to show that the fact that you are a Muslim does not mean you represent Islam in its entirety. There is such a thing as a disobedient Muslim.
. Na'am, brother. Islam is a religion, muslims are human beings. So, people should stop deliberately confusing the two
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Yasmeena(f): 11:00am On Feb 08, 2013
Ma sha Allah! its so sweet to know dat muslims are becoming aware and convinced of the fact that celebrating valentine is haraam n not acceptable in Islam.

1 Like

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by DrSadikMagaji(m): 11:03am On Feb 08, 2013
SlyIg: Why not ...
If not ...
What was Amina to Mohammed SAW.

--:::: Valentine Day ::::--- Do you know what is it ? Saint Valentine had loved a young girl and had sex with her before married ( ZINA ) and that's why UK government had hanged him on that day , 14 february and since then the non believer used to celebrate that day !!! But the most sad and shamefull thing is that ,Today the Muslims also began to celebrate that illegal sex day ( Zina day ) ...... cry We are Muslims and We will never celebrate this day Again in shaa Allah !! Say in shaa Allah if u desire the same ..... And plz share this message

4 Likes

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Beaf1: 11:05am On Feb 08, 2013
To all saying Aminas and Khadijats are participating in Valentine; they are simply disobedient Muslims. Besides, so-called Muslims have participated in worst things so that's a baseless talk. We are talking about the TRUE teachings of Islam.

Valentine is a FRAUD and a hell-bound festival.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by DrSadikMagaji(m): 11:05am On Feb 08, 2013
maclatunji:

For the record and your enlightenment, she was his mother.
thank you
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Beaf1: 11:07am On Feb 08, 2013
Dr Sadik Magaji:

--:::: Valentine Day ::::--- Do you know what is it ? Saint Valentine had loved a young girl and had sex with her before married ( ZINA ) and that's why UK government had hanged him on that day , 14 february and since then the non believer used to celebrate that day !!! But the most sad and shamefull thing is that ,Today the Muslims also began to celebrate that illegal sex day ( Zina day ) ...... cry We are Muslims and We will never celebrate this day Again in shaa Allah !! Say in shaa Allah if u desire the same ..... And plz share this message

^
In Shaa Allah!
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by ElHassan1(m): 11:10am On Feb 08, 2013
Valentine Day
Do you know what is it ?
Saint Valentine had loved a young girl
and had sex with her before married
(ZINA) and that's why UK government
had hanged him on that day , 14
February and since then the non
believer used to celebrate that day !!!
But the most sad and shameful thing
is that ,Today the Muslims also began
to celebrate that illegal sex day (Zina
day).
We are Muslims and We will never
celebrate this day Again in shaa
Allah !!
Ya Allah save us from the Haraam.
Aameen.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by maclatunji: 11:17am On Feb 08, 2013
El-Hassan:
Valentine Day
Do you know what is it ?
Saint Valentine had loved a young girl
and had sex with her before married
(ZINA) and that's why UK government
had hanged him on that day , 14
February and since then the non
believer used to celebrate that day !!!

But the most sad and shameful thing
is that ,Today the Muslims also began
to celebrate that illegal sex day (Zina
day).
We are Muslims and We will never
celebrate this day Again in shaa
Allah !!
Ya Allah save us from the Haraam.
Aameen.

Is this a Blackberry Message? The bolded is very much a remixed version of the story. UK government killed Valentine?
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by HerexG(m): 11:21am On Feb 08, 2013
Is valentine of Christ in the first place ?
We are meant to love non stop.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by goodbobo: 11:22am On Feb 08, 2013
Mind u , valentine has not of christian origin . There is nothing christian about Valentine .
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by mima2012: 11:39am On Feb 08, 2013
Enof of all these pretence abegggg just seat back relax n wait for ur Val gifts Joorrrr
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by HerexG(m): 11:47am On Feb 08, 2013
The Valentine celebration is 100% paganism.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by nuorlah: 11:51am On Feb 08, 2013
lekibraky:
Mallam i never called any muslim a kafir but trying to make them refrain from acts that will make them belief in other religious practice than islam by emulating the practise that is unislamic.
Allah Subhanahu watahala said we muslims are the best of mankind because w forbib what is wrong and enjoin what is good .

What you wrote is wrong. Accept the correction and move on. Stop giving unnecessary excuses.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by jamst(m): 12:39pm On Feb 08, 2013
The valentine(fornication) day is forbidden in islam cos almighty ALLAH says in d holy quran that;and stay away from fornication/adultery,verily it is an evil deed & a misguidance.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 08, 2013
HerexG :
The Valentine celebration is 100% paganism.

Now who would wanna imitate pagans?
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Realpoint(m): 12:49pm On Feb 08, 2013
Alhamdulillah, All praise and glory is due to Allah. I am very happy that only Muslims that don't want to follow the truth will still do Val. after reading all these comments. I am very grateful to you all may Allah increase your knowledge and make it source of joy in this life and hereafter.Amin.Longlife Nairaland!
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by tshoboy(m): 1:03pm On Feb 08, 2013
scribble: Valentine's day has nothing to do with religion. It is a day when people give women gifts in return for affection, love or sexual favours.

It is a commercial endeavour. I'm not sure Mohammed would approve but there are so many Kudirat, Monsurat, Shakirat, Amina, Zainab and co that will return affection, love etc for your gifts.

have a happy valentines day
Having an Arabic name doesn't make u a Muslim

1 Like

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by raynold(m): 1:15pm On Feb 08, 2013
haha <<--- my only comment maclatunji don mark my name any other comment I make fit be insult to maclatunji...
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by ehispapa(m): 1:19pm On Feb 08, 2013
lekibraky:
Mallam i never called any muslim a kafir but trying to make them refrain from acts that will make them belief in other religious practice than islam by emulating the practise that is unislamic.
Allah Subhanahu watahala said we muslims are the best of mankind because w forbib what is wrong and enjoin what is good .

Valentine is not and never any religious practice. You need to know about things before you attach it to other religion....so take note.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by chrisxxx(m): 1:54pm On Feb 08, 2013
They can not celebrate what they do not have. Valentine is all about celebration of love for mankind. This is one virtue that is alien to Muslims.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Witi(m): 2:15pm On Feb 08, 2013
Although I am a christian but if I am a muslim I will not celebrate Valentine because of the history.
Historical facts
Shrine of St. Valentine in Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church in Dublin, Ireland

Numerous early Christian martyrs were named Valentine.[12] The Valentines honored on February 14 are Valentine of Rome (Valentinus presb. m. Romae) and Valentine of Terni (Valentinus ep. Interamnensis m. Romae).[13] Valentine of Rome[14] was a priest in Rome who was martyred about AD 269 and was buried on the Via Flaminia. The flower crowned skull[15] of St Valentine is exhibited in the Basilica of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, Rome. Other relics are found in the Basilica of Santa Prassede,[16] also in Rome, as well as at Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church in Dublin, Ireland.

Valentine of Terni[17] became bishop of Interamna (modern Terni) about AD 197 and is said to have been martyred during the persecution under Emperor Aurelian. He is also buried on the Via Flaminia, but in a different location than Valentine of Rome. His relics are at the Basilica of Saint Valentine in Terni (Basilica di San Valentino).[18]

The Catholic Encyclopedia also speaks of a third saint named Valentine who was mentioned in early martyrologies under date of February 14. He was martyred in Africa with a number of companions, but nothing more is known about him.[19] Saint Valentine's head was preserved in the abbey of New Minster, Winchester and venerated.[20]

February 14 is celebrated as St Valentine's Day in various Christian denominations; it has, for example, the rank of 'commemoration' in the calendar of saints in the Anglican Communion.[7] In addition, the feast day of Saint Valentine is also given in the calendar of saints of the Lutheran Church.[8] However, in the 1969 revision of the Roman Catholic Calendar of Saints, the feast day of Saint Valentine on February 14 was removed from the General Roman Calendar and relegated to particular (local or even national) calendars for the following reason: "Though the memorial of Saint Valentine is ancient, it is left to particular calendars, since, apart from his name, nothing is known of Saint Valentine except that he was buried on the Via Flaminia on February 14."[21] The feast day is still celebrated in Balzan (Malta) where relics of the saint are claimed to be found, and also throughout the world by Traditionalist Catholics who follow the older, pre-Second Vatican Council calendar. In the Eastern Orthodox Church, St. Valentine's Day is celebrated on July 6th, in which Saint Valentine, the Roman presbyter, is honoured; furthermore, the Eastern Orthodox Church obsesrves the feast of Hieromartyr Valentine, Bishop of Interamna, on July 30th.[22][23]
Legends
Saint Valentine of Terni and his disciples

Bishop Demetri of the Orthodox Research Institute, in a keynote address, states that "St. Valentine was a priest near Rome in about the year 270 A.D, a time when the church was enduring great persecution. His ministry was to help the Christians to escape this persecution, and to provide them the sacraments, such as marriage, which was outlawed by the Roman Empire at that time."[24] Contemporary records of Saint Valentine were most probably destroyed during the Diocletianic Persecution on early 4th century.[25] In the 5th or 6th century, a work called Passio Marii et Marthae published an invented story of martyrdom for Saint Valentine of Rome, probably by borrowing tortures that happened to other saints, as it was usually made in the literature of that period.[25][26] It states that St Valentine was persecuted as a Christian and interrogated by Roman Emperor Claudius II in person. Claudius was impressed by Valentine and had a discussion with him, attempting to get him to convert to Roman paganism in order to save his life. Valentine refused and tried to convert Claudius to Christianity instead. Because of this, he was executed. Before his execution, he is reported to have performed a miracle by healing Julia, the blind daughter of his jailer Asterius. The jailer's daughter and his forty-four member household (family members and servants) came to believe in Jesus and were baptized.[25] In addition to this, Saint Valentine is said to have performed clandestine Christian weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry. The Roman Emperor Claudius II supposedly forbade this in order to grow his army, believing that married men did not make for good soldiers. According to legend, in order to "remind them of God's love and to encourage them to remain faithful Christians," Saint Valentine is said to have cut hearts from parchment, giving them to the soldiers and persecuted Christians, a possible origin of the widespread use of hearts on Saint Valentine's Day.[5][27] A later Passio repeated the legend, adding that Pope Julius I built a church over his sepulcre (it's a confusion with a 4th century tribune called Valentino who donated land to build a church at a time when Julius was a Pope).[26] The legend was picked up as fact by later martyrologies, starting by Bede's martyrology in the 8th century.[26] It was repeated in the 13th century, in Legenda Aurea.[28] The book expounded briefly the Early Medieval acta of several Saint Valentines, and this legend was assigned to the Valentine under 14 February.

There is an additional embellishment to The Golden Legend, which according to Henry Ansgar Kelly, was added centuries later, and widely repeated.[29] On the evening before Valentine was to be executed, he would have written the first "valentine" card himself, addressed to the daughter of his jailer Asterius, who was no longer blind, signing as "Your Valentine."[29] This expression "From your Valentine" is still used to this day.[27] This legend has been published by both American Greetings and The History Channel.[30] John Foxe, an English historian, as well as the Order of Carmelites, state that Saint Valentine was buried in the Church of Praxedes in Rome, located near the cemetery of St Hippolytus. This order says that according to legend, "Julia herself planted a pink-blossomed almond tree near his grave. Today, the almond tree remains a symbol of abiding love and friendship."[31][32]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine%27s_Day[/url]
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by IleIfe2(m): 3:02pm On Feb 08, 2013
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by FiftyFifty(m): 3:44pm On Feb 08, 2013
Muslims shouldn‘t be like mordern day Xtians that welcome anything whether or not it is in conformity with the ORIGINAL version of Xtianity. Ur answer therefore is NO. Simple.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Feb 08, 2013
Yasmeena: Ma sha Allah! its so sweet to know dat muslims are becoming aware and convinced of the fact that celebrating valentine is haraam n not acceptable in Islam.
cos ur bf is broke, u ar now hiding behind the veil of islam doctrine
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Feb 08, 2013
Dr Sadik Magaji:

say wat u know before it'l seriously backfire on u and ur religion. I don talk finish and ofcourse u guys know I fear no ban
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 08, 2013
scribble: Valentine's day has nothing to do with religion. It is a day when people give women gifts in return for affection, love or sexual favours.

It is a commercial endeavour. I'm not sure Mohammed would approve but there are so many Kudirat, Monsurat, Shakirat, Amina, Zainab and co that will return affection, love etc for your gifts.

have a happy valentines day
vals day is originally christian before it was turned upside down. The catholic church still commemorates it today. The organizes seminars for youths so as to keep them occupied. But you know young people with their stubornness.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Muslim Artiste Do You Love Listening To Their Nasheeds / Your Menses And Ramadan / Du'a When Stopping Or Lodging Somewhere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.