Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,702 members, 7,831,192 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. (2962 Views)

Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? / For Abused Wives, Girlfriends & Men!!! / How To Protect A Child From Been Abused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by armyofone(m): 6:39pm On Feb 08, 2013
I remembered as a kid hearing, wayo wayo wayo, ah-ah, ah-ah wayo. And in the morning I remembered seeing their battered faces.
And the cause of the beating according to the neigbors were mata doesn't want do the nighty thing because she just had a baby, and many more flimsy stuff.

Women in nigeria suffer a great deal. Each of the the followings call for beating/abuse:no food in the house, not doing chores, not want to make love, coming from the market late, not given head of the house good part of the meat, the eba too soft/miyan too watery etc.

if only there is a good police system and 911 in place.

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 08, 2013
Here are my ideas about abuse (without looking in the dictionary per Jenny's directive). It is a pattern of behavior with the main goal of controlling a partner, suppressing their individuality and destroying their self esteem. Abusers often seek to increase the reliance of their victims on them sp they can maintain this control. Abuse can be psychological (mental/emotional) or physical, the former often leads to the latter. Women are more often victims of abuse than men but both genders can be the perpetrators. Once the pattern of abuse starts, it often doesn't get better but worsens.

It doesn't show on the face if abusers, they are often 'good', functioning members of society and even get along well with others.

Abused victims spend a lot of time in denial partly because the good times are usually very very good. Abusers are charming. It is hard to put Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde together as one person. However, it's all part of the grand scheme of controlling the victim.

If you are in a relationship where you have a lot of self doubt, are losing your self belief, second guess all your own actions, wonder if you are going crazy, feel isolated from friends and family e.t.c. you may be in an abusive relationship.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by dickhardener: 8:36pm On Feb 08, 2013
ileobatojo: Here are my ideas about abuse (without looking in the dictionary per Jenny's directive). It is a pattern of behavior with the main goal of controlling a partner, suppressing their individuality and destroying their self esteem. Abusers often seek to increase the reliance of their victims on them sp they can maintain this control. Abuse can be psychological (mental/emotional) or physical, the former often leads to the latter. Women are more often victims of abuse than men but both genders can be the perpetrators. Once the pattern of abuse starts, it often doesn't get better but worsens.

It doesn't show on the face if abusers, they are often 'good', functioning members of society and even get along well with others.

Abused victims spend a lot of time in denial partly because the good times are usually very very good. Abusers are charming. It is hard to put Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde together as one person. However, it's all part of the grand scheme of controlling the victim.

If you are in a relationship where you have a lot of self doubt, are losing your self belief, second guess all your own actions, wonder if you are going crazy, feel isolated from friends and family e.t.c. you may be in an abusive relationship.
Ile I am not advocating for abusive men since I am neither physically or verbally abusive, only short tempered which I vent off by getting in my car and go for a ride, but this your warped feministic ideology is emboldened because you aren't head over heels for a man. I have personally seen very gorgeous independent once feministic women become morons for men they sheepishly love. If you are insanely in love, you would loose your feministic orientation.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by safeLove(f): 8:40pm On Feb 08, 2013
I remember the previous tread JK raised on abuse and was quite relived when it was closed.

I'd say the same faceless goons who caused it's closure are creeping out here. And trust me,the moments posters like Debrief and Cotton type one response,all dem "e-abusers" will decend on this thread.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by damiso(f): 8:51pm On Feb 08, 2013
Why is that on NL a person who advocates for a woman to have self-esteem=Feminist undecided
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 8:56pm On Feb 08, 2013
me i'm not typing o - i have moved on and working out how much maternity pay i will get if i take my full 52 weeks next year. let them come out.

but one question i have - do you think women should expose abusers so that they don't abuse another woman.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by armyofone(m): 9:12pm On Feb 08, 2013
Maybe there is something that person is holding on to/he will change/he will not do it again.

dick hardener: Ile I am not advocating for abusive men since I am neither physically or verbally abusive, only short tempered which I vent off by getting in my car and go for a ride, but this your warped feministic ideology is emboldened because you aren't head over heels for a man. I have personally seen very gorgeous independent once feministic women become morons for men they sheepishly love. If you are insanely in love, you would loose your feministic orientation.

And we have seen the result of those insanely-in-love. They end up killing the guy involved.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 08, 2013
cotton101: me i'm not typing o - i have moved on and working out how much maternity pay i will get if i take my full 52 weeks next year. let them come out.

but one question i have - do you think women should expose abusers so that they don't abuse another woman.

Yes, unequivocally!

For me, I consider abuse the misuse of power, something that you do and know that the other party is unseemingly powerless to stop.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 9:32pm On Feb 08, 2013
dick hardener: Ile I am not advocating for abusive men since I am neither physically or verbally abusive, only short tempered which I vent off by getting in my car and go for a ride, but this your warped feministic ideology is emboldened because you aren't head over heels for a man. I have personally seen very gorgeous independent once feministic women become morons for men they sheepishly love. If you are insanely in love, you would loose your feministic orientation.

I'm a bit confused here. Would you please highlight and explain which part of my post demonstrates a warped feminist ideology?

And when you're done, could you please answer the OP's question about defining abuse in your own words just like I did? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by dickhardener: 9:36pm On Feb 08, 2013
naijababe:

Yes, unequivocally!

For me, I consider abuse the misuse of power, something that you do and know that the other party is unseemingly powerless to stop.

Are you in that case suggesting that men who do not have the power to stop a woman from dictating laws at home, yelling or insulting him, kicking him out at will and asking him to make sure that okro soup is steaming hot before she returns from work because they are constrained by law are equally abused? Then in that case, 65% of men in the U.S are abused deducing from your logic.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 9:39pm On Feb 08, 2013
dick hardener: Are you in that case suggesting that[b] men who do not have the power to stop a woman from dictating laws at home, yelling or insulting him, kicking him out at will and asking him to make sure that okro soup is steaming hot before she returns from work because they are constrained by law are equally abused?[/b] Then in that case, 65% of men in the U.S are abused deducing from your logic.

Yes. No gender has a monopoly over abuse if you must know, men are just as likely as women to be on the receiving end.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by dickhardener: 9:42pm On Feb 08, 2013
ileobatojo:

I'm a bit confused here. Would you please highlight and explain which part of my post demonstrates a warped feminist ideology?

And when you're done, could you please answer the OP's question about defining abuse in your own words just like I did? Thanks.
My point was culled from a rather extensive follow up of post history just as I have observed jidegirl12 to be more traditional in her approach towards marraige.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by dickhardener: 9:46pm On Feb 08, 2013
naijababe:

Yes. No gender has a monopoly over abuse if you must know, men are just as likely as women to be on the receiving end.
then it will be safe to assume Nigeria is an abusive society towards women and the U.S is an abusive society towards men. I love Nigeria then but fortunately for me I do not have any repressive attitude from my mate though I chopped the wings when she was about to fly to the feministic heavens.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 9:56pm On Feb 08, 2013
dick hardener: then it will be safe to assume Nigeria is an abusive society towards women and the U.S is an abusive society towards men. I love Nigeria then but fortunately for me I do not have any repressive attitude from my mate though I chopped the wings when she was about to fly to the feministic heavens.

I do not understand why people are so quick to label pro-civil societies as being anti-man? You are however right to label Nigeria as an abusive society towards women because it's one of the few places in the world that a victim cannot even find succour with the police. The vast majority of Nigerian men remain largely confused because they want to be African husbands but almost always desire a hybrid of African/Western values in their wives.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by dayokanu(m): 10:02pm On Feb 08, 2013
Armyofone abused me a lot, Whips, BD--SM, Masochismmm etc and I cant even complain
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 10:03pm On Feb 08, 2013
dayokanu: Armyofone abused me a lot, Whips, BD--SM, Masochismmm etc and I cant even complain

grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 10:31pm On Feb 08, 2013
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by dayokanu(m): 10:33pm On Feb 08, 2013
chaircover: I have a question . . . .Do some of these abusers know that they are abusers and do they even know the damage that they inflict?

I was in a restaurant a couple of days ago and a man walked in sat down and said in a loud voice "woman what do you have today" I looked at him and instantly felt sorry for his wife becasue I can just imagine how he must address her at home.

Maybe they just dont care whether you they are causing damage or not as long as they get whatever they wanted
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by dickhardener: 10:37pm On Feb 08, 2013
chaircover: I have a question . . . .Do some of these abusers know that they are abusers and do they even know the damage that they inflict?

I was in a restaurant a couple of days ago and a man walked in sat down and said in a loud voice "woman what do you have today" I looked at him and instantly felt sorry for his wife becasue I can just imagine how he must address her at home.
how else did you expect him to address you "hello mummy, what kind of food do you have ma" naughty you.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 10:41pm On Feb 08, 2013
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 10:44pm On Feb 08, 2013
dick hardener: how else did you expect him to address you "hello mummy, what kind of food do you have ma" naughty you.

grin grin grin grin grin grin. Mary mother of christ.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by armyofone(m): 10:46pm On Feb 08, 2013
It is an abuse if you force me to do it tongue
I'm traditionalist grin

dayokanu: Armyofone abused me a lot, Whips, BD--SM, Masochismmm etc and I cant even complain
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 10:36am On Feb 09, 2013

I was in a restaurant a couple of days ago and a man walked in sat down and said in a loud voice "woman what do you have today" I looked at him and instantly felt sorry for his wife because I can just imagine how he must address her at home.

I don't think they do. Even the "abusees" have no idea what abuse is all about.

@Topic

How many people have faced abuse at work? A friend of mine who got slapped at work by her boss. I hear stories of bosses(in Nigeria) at work place yelling at junior workers and it just makes me sad
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 09, 2013
jenny and CC some of them don't my ex still believes i'm in the wrong and he did nothing wrong.

its deemed correction
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by EfemenaXY: 11:29am On Feb 09, 2013
dick hardener: how else did you expect him to address you "hello mummy, what kind of food do you have ma" naughty you.

A bit of decorum and respect wouldn't have gone amiss in this scenario.

You get that a lot here: Bunch of loud mouthed lousy Nigerian men shouting the odds.

Makes you cringe & ashamed to call yourself Nigerian.

CC, d'you know that a few months ago, whilst waiting to collect our passport visas at the Nigerian High Commission, there was this guy determined to embarrass not only himself but the staff there?

Don't get me wrong, things have improved greatly over there service-wise...it was a pleasant surprise. Very courtious, efficient and helpful people. Well organized too. Infact, I was proud to be a Nigerian...until the loud mouthed character chose to yell his head off. Most embarrassing thing about it was that this guy was blatantly in the wrong, but wouldn't accept it. Mtcheew.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 12:09pm On Feb 09, 2013
cotton101: jenny and CC some of them don't my ex still believes i'm in the wrong and he did nothing wrong.

its deemed correction

Does he still disturb you? were his family members in support of what he was doing to you when yous were still together? what was his childhood like? did he take after his dad?
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by gabialonso(m): 11:54pm On Feb 09, 2013
mysticgal: i dont have enough courage to speak truthfully.
...i feel your pain...ffg me lets talk, its really important
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by ba7man(m): 5:36pm On Feb 12, 2013
@ OP. I'm sure all this English discussions isn't what you envisaged for your thread. You wanted people to open up on their experiences but they won't. Why?? B'cos to "Receive" you have to "Give". You give them your experience and they will open up to you. Or you expected them to all just come dump their experiences at your feet?? Who are you?? Are you a learner??
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 12, 2013
ba7man: @ OP. I'm sure all this English discussions isn't what you envisaged for your thread. You wanted people to open up on their experiences but they won't. Why?? B'cos to "Receive" you have to "Give". You give them your experience and they will open up to you. Or you expected them to all just come dump their experiences at your feet?? Who are you?? Are you a learner??

https://www.nairaland.com/1084309/debrief-cotton101-those-came-out

I started that thread I got a lot of replies, so yea contrary to what you posted, people did "dump their problems at my feet". The person(also posted a lot on the thread with the link above) that made me start this thread has said nothing good enough to hold my attention and yes I am disappointed at her and Until she tells the latest story she told me she's got, I have nothing to say. kiss
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by ba7man(m): 6:19pm On Feb 12, 2013
jennykadry:

https://www.nairaland.com/1084309/debrief-cotton101-those-came-out

I started that thread I got a lot of replies, so yea contrary to what you posted, people did "dump their problems at my feet". The person(also posted a lot on the thread with the link above) that made me start this thread has said nothing good enough to hold my attention and yes I am disappointed at her and Until she tells the latest story she told me she's got, I have nothing to say. kiss
Ohh.....O.k, this is part 2. Let me go thru part 1 then.
Re: Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. by PrettyCindy(f): 9:46pm On Feb 13, 2013
My own experience.
I was always verbally abused by my ex husband to the point that it seemed like a normal thing to me. It really killed my self esteem.
It then graduated to physical abuse when i was 2 months pregnant. How did i react? I fought back. He slapped me first and i slapped him back, hard of course. I did not just sit down like a whimp and let him beat me. I fought him back with all i had, made sure i didnt cry. I had had enough. No way i was going to give him the satisfaction of beating me. That was the last straw. We seperated after that...........and of course i stayed in the house. He asked me to leave the house but i reminded him that he didnt pick me from the streets. The only way i was leaving was if he rented a place for me. So he left.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yummy & Nutritous.Soyabeans, Gnut And Crayfish For Babies and Toddlers / Help Me... / Will I still be loved?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.