Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,484 members, 7,812,502 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa (27226 Views)

ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official / Nigerian Companies Where Ceos Are Sons Of Founders Of The Companies / Two Nigerians In Forbes' ‘Ten Young African Millionaires To Watch' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Nobody: 2:37pm On Feb 11, 2013
nigeria is just lyk dis guy..

Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 11, 2013
Dfavouredone: But no jobs for the graduate to show for it. Nonsense.
Abi? no job
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Krucifax(m): 2:39pm On Feb 11, 2013
Was about to point this out before you did the honours. It commendable to celebrate Nigerian business success,but it should be Nigerian business success.

The companies crossed out below are merely Nigerian branches of the said organisations,still kudos to the Nigeria branches for their hard work if only they can follow it up by absorbing more of the millions of unemployed graduates wasting in Nigeria.

aribisala0: [s]• Nigerian Breweries Plc(Owned by Heineken)
• Guinness Nigeria
• Nestlé Nigeria
• Stanbic IBTC
• Lafarge Cement WAPCO
• Total Nigeria
• Unilever Nigeria
• PZ Cussions
• Cadbury Nigeria Plc [/s]

NOT NIGERIAN
I believe Unilever owns UACN
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 11, 2013
• Guinness Nigeria
• Nestlé Nigeria
• Stanbic IBTC
• Lafarge Cement WAPCO
• Total Nigeria
• Unilever Nigeria
• PZ Cussions

NOT NIGERIAN

my broda d thing tire meeo!! na so them go take they deceive their papa! grin grin

y them no include coca-cola Nigeria plc, pepsi nigeria plc, shell nig. Unltd, sony nig. inc, LG nig., and the rest of them foreign companies with offices in nigeria!
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Nobody: 2:40pm On Feb 11, 2013
we are more than available jobs in nigeria
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by 1forall: 2:45pm On Feb 11, 2013

In a way I share your view, it's senseless that despite having many successful companies there are still a lot of unemployed graduates. On the other hand however, there will always be an unemployed proportion of any population, even in more developed economies.

I believe a lot of recruitment goes on in Nigeria - organizations would always need competent hands and it's up to a jobseeker to adapt to the situation and carve his own way to gainful employment. It shouldn't be that way but sadly it is, and moaning about it won't yield result but taking action will.

1 Like

Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by BarryX(m): 2:48pm On Feb 11, 2013
These are paper and public relations stunts ... Nothing much! These doesn't really translate to situations or realities on ground.. Check the unemployment ïndices
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by davidugotex(m): 2:49pm On Feb 11, 2013
And why is globacom not in the list
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 11, 2013
Why wont there be alot of banks in the list.This banks in Nigeria will not stop ripping customers of their hard earn money through scamish charges still yet they cannot give out loans or mortgage to common Nigerians and also pay their staff well all because of their greed.God is watching
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Symphony007: 3:02pm On Feb 11, 2013
Utter domination!! And it's gonna get way better if only nigeria gets it's act together!! When we do that west africa will be small fry compared to what we will be doing in africa and indeed the world!!!
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by delors(m): 3:14pm On Feb 11, 2013
How does this translate into improved standard of living for the people? I mean that is supposed to be the true measure of economic growth n development, right? These companies dat do not hire based on merit? and when they do, the number of recuited staff is so so minute and its just once in a very rare blue moon...reason?
- promotion is unheard of so no space is created at the bottom for entry level employees...
- old ones refuse to retire (chop n quench)because of the fear of absence of retirement benefits
- business expansion is so limited in scope...
Shame!
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by RedLight1: 3:19pm On Feb 11, 2013
thats becoz the population is more than the jobs available
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by pekelepekele(m): 3:20pm On Feb 11, 2013
Na when Nigeria start to dey get company cheesy
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by buJu234: 3:49pm On Feb 11, 2013
what abt the churches... that can make enough profits for their oga/C.E.O/G.O/BISHOP etc to buy private jets.

i think they are gud Nigerian companies too....

why do u expect more; if they can include this new type of business (aka the religious/church business); i tell u ; u will see more than 50
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by yawkusi: 3:54pm On Feb 11, 2013
Good for Nigeria, of cause for a big population you should naturally dominate. But there is more to worry about this list than to celebrate. Firstly they are mostly banks and believe me if your economy is dominated by banks then you probably don’t have a real economy. They create much fewer jobs (compared to their revenue), they earn you no foreign exchange, they create no concrete product people can spend your money on, what they mostly do is circulating money and making money out of it. Also almost all the manufacturing companies are actually not Nigerian. Just Nigerian subsidiaries. They transfer every kobo made out of Nigeria. Please let no one hung me because I am a Ghanaian, AFCON IS OVER, we also face the same problem here in Ghana. We African should learn from the Germans, the Japanese and the Koreans. Our economy should be dominated by making things, a real economy, not a virtual economy dominated by banks, insurance, shops and other pure commerce activities
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Ejiekwu1(m): 4:20pm On Feb 11, 2013
That means we can only boast as giant of west Africa not Africa
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 11, 2013
Hottips: Dangote Cement, Zenith Bank PLC and Ecobank Transnational Incorporated were among the 25 companies honoured by Forbes Africa and ABN Productions at the Forbes Africa top listed West African Companies Awards Ceremony recently. The event titled, “The Top Listed West African Companies” was a celebration of the
success of risk takers and job creators. The list covered the Top 25 companies in the West African capital market comprising of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, Ghanaian Stock Exchange and the Abidjan-based Bourse Régionale des Valeurs Mobilières SA (Regional Securities Exchange SA) or BRVM. The awards were ranked in terms of market capitalization, revenue and profit.

Mr. Chris Bishop, Managing Editor Forbes Africa before presenting the awards to the top five companies said “All too often the lists of the world have overlooked the success of African companies. Nights like this show how important successful African companies are in the progress of the world economy.” According to organisers, the Forbes Africa Top Listed West African Companies celebrates the success of risk takers and job creators. It is an important initiative that aims to encourage organisations to strive for sustained excellence and also promote their profiles not only in their home country but around the world. Impressively, 20 Nigerian companies made it to the list of T0p 25 companies in West Africa. They include:

• Dangote Cement
• Zenith Bank PLC
• Ecobank Transnational Incorporated
• Nigerian Breweries Plc
• First Bank Plc
• Guaranty Trust Bank Plc
• United Bank for Africa
• Guinness Nigeria

• Nestlé Nigeria
• Access Bank
• Flour Mills Nigeria
• Union Bank of Nigeria
• Stanbic IBTC

• First City Monument Bank
• Lafarge Cement WAPCO
• Total Nigeria

• Unilever Nigeria

• PZ Cussions
• UACN
• Cadbury Nigeria Plc

According to Forbes, Nigeria has 20 of the best 25 companies in West Africa. What do you think about this?

News Source: AllAfrica.com
Except they define 'Nigerian' by physical location, not ownership, then the bolded are not Nigerian.
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by adconline(m): 5:04pm On Feb 11, 2013
Ejiekwu 1: That means we can only boast as giant of west Africa not Africa
Yes, because 3 of the biggest banks in RSA have over 100,000 people in their workforce while all the ten listed banks in Naija may not have of up to 50k employees combined. First Bank has less than 9k.
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Jesuspikin87(m): 5:21pm On Feb 11, 2013
• Guinness Nigeria
• Nestlé Nigeria
• Stanbic IBTC
• Lafarge Cement WAPCO
• Total Nigeria
• Unilever Nigeria
• PZ Cussions

NOT NIGERIAN

FEAR CATCH ME OOOOOO......
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by bami2006(m): 5:26pm On Feb 11, 2013
Nigeria is proofing her giant of Africa, but why banks, when communication co's are not listed?
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by aribisala0(m): 5:35pm On Feb 11, 2013
penquin: nigeria is just lyk dis guy..
in what way is Nigeria like this guy?
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by deols(f): 6:07pm On Feb 11, 2013
some of those are still not Nigerian enough. cadbury, nestle..

btw, we need to do more of commercial farming
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Nobody: 7:20pm On Feb 11, 2013
lekkie073: that shows we own west Africa

Must everything be about this?
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by lukecent: 7:36pm On Feb 11, 2013
• Guinness Nigeria
• Nestlé Nigeria
• Stanbic IBTC
• Lafarge Cement WAPCO
• Total Nigeria
• Unilever Nigeria
• PZ Cussions

NOT NIGERIAN
U mean non of diz company[ies] is/re in any other WA country?
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by gare(f): 8:02pm On Feb 11, 2013
what is union Bank doing on the list?
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by vandarsar(m): 8:37pm On Feb 11, 2013
I second your opinion bro. Banks are getting fatter cause they ain't doing the right thing. Meanwhile, until all of this companies are repositioned such that development in terms of reduction in unemployment and inequality among the upper, Middle and lower class are achieved, we can't say our economy is performing better than say Rwanda or Ghana!

NigeriaKitchen: It is not something to be proud of...with banks, banks, dominating the list...shows our economy is still on the low side...we need to see more of IT firms, Telecoms, Power companies, Engineering firms, Hospitality, Tourism, Sporting firms (oh yes we can if we organize our sports well), etc...not just banks, banks, etc....its nothing to merry for angry
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by ghboy: 8:44pm On Feb 11, 2013
as a Ghanaian that's impressive by Naija. once it comes to Market capitalization, that's a big advantage Nigeria would have cos it pushes revenue and profit further up because of high demand.
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Alajiki(m): 9:44pm On Feb 11, 2013
Dnaz: Wat of Living Faith Church Nig PLC
grin grin grin Baadt Nigerian...lolz!!!
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by Nobody: 10:10pm On Feb 11, 2013
aribisala0: At least 10 of those are NOT Nigerian companies
Exactly, we should be talking indigenous ventures. Infact, i was expecting d names of our home firms,kudos to dangote
Re: 20 Nigerian Companies In Forbes Top 25 Companies In West Africa by aribisala0(m): 10:17pm On Feb 11, 2013
lukecent:
U mean non of diz company[ies] is/re in any other WA country?
I do not understand your question? I Said they are not Nigerian companies .What has that got to do with whether or not they are in any other WA country. There are many other foreign companies in Nigeria eg Shell,Mobil CocaCola,MTN,etc and I do not understand why these ones are labelled as Nigerian.
Truth is Nigerians have not learnt how to iternationalize their businesses using companies. We are very much focussed on one man businesses that tend to die with the owner

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Saudi Prince: Oil Will Never Return To $100 / Steve Jobs' 13 Most Inspiring Quotes / Huge Revelations Made By Aliko DANGOTE At Economist Summit In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.