Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,684 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON (21820 Views)

Lmc Advocates End To European Clubs’ Sponsorship By Nigerian Firms / Neymar Exposes Efe Ambrose's Defensive Lapses During Champions League Match / Is Efe Ambrose The New Finidi George? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Gayigaskia(m): 2:08pm On Feb 13, 2013
This is what they call modern day slavery; they made him sign papers which he has to live by. I actually have a lot of respect for him for not knowing what he has agreed to when he signed his contract. Many dumb players would have stay and loose out financially , playing chance wise.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Nobody: 2:09pm On Feb 13, 2013
It is a plus for him and for African football. It shows he is indispensable. To be indispensable in a club as decent as Celtic is an achievement.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Pimples(m): 2:19pm On Feb 13, 2013
And to think that he was among the Best 11 @ the AFCON tournament. While that 1st goal might be overlooked, the 3rd goal is entirely his fault. What type of tiredness will prevent him from kicking away that ball b4 he fell. As far as I'm concerned, that was 90% unprofessionalism and 10% Tiredness

2 Likes

Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Afritop(m): 2:22pm On Feb 13, 2013
I EXPECT A EUROPEAN FC MANAGER TO UNDERSTAND THE ORDEALS OF TRAVELLING BY AIR NOT TO TALK OF THE STRESS OF PLAYING TO WIN A MAJOR TROPHY (AFCON). WHAT ELSE DID HE EXPECT FROM THE LAD. HE EXPECTS AMBROSE TO BE A MAGICIAN, TO PLAY FULL TIME ON SUNDAY AND TO BE AT HIS BEST ON TUESDAY
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by born2boink(m): 2:23pm On Feb 13, 2013
Pimples: And to think that he was among the Best 11 @ the AFCON tournament. While that 1st goal might be overlooked, the 3rd goal is entirely his fault. What type of tiredness will prevent him from kicking away that ball b4 he fell. As far as I'm concerned, that was 90% unprofessionalism and 10% Tiredness
you don't just come here and talk jagons, did you watched him play against barcelona, why did he not made such mistake?

1 Like

Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by vanstanzy(m): 2:28pm On Feb 13, 2013
"You can lead a horse to the stream, but you can't force it to drink". Celtics tie Efe mouth? Why im sef no say "NO!"?
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by slextheboss: 2:30pm On Feb 13, 2013
I was amazed to see him as well playing last night but he should have explained he was tired no reasonable coach would hear him out and still order him to play. I think ambrose wanted to play but we all saw the result off this .
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Donbasi(m): 2:30pm On Feb 13, 2013
Menn these oyibo ppl can be mean oh. @ a time we need blame the guy afterall Adebayor disobyed by not coming back early he forfieted 2weeks wage so ma man weh rush de go scotland no wan forfiet one naira. Too bad 9ja spirit
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by imperiouxx(m): 2:31pm On Feb 13, 2013
I cleared my eye when I saw Ambrose on the field and I looked at the party to confirm he wasn't with the victorious Super eagles in Abuja welcome party. So sad to have seen his poor marking leading to the second goal and then spoiled everything when he was given a light charge and fell like paper. He even held his head the moment the ball was taken from him. sad
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by bestower: 2:32pm On Feb 13, 2013
Quite surprise too when i saw his name i thot mayb its another ambrose not ours....but wen i saw him coming out to field of play....ooohh only shit i knew sometin is about to happen and at the end i never got dsapointed.i would blame d coach,he can neva xpected him to give 100%,holy messi nd c ronaldo will fvck up.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by 299: 2:38pm On Feb 13, 2013
I don't know how many flying hours it takes to travell from j'bourgh to glassgow. But i know that guy must have been tired and jet-lagged. I mean c'mon...which coach takes such a high profile gamble in a game of this magnitude? I was extremely surprised to see him standing on the queue with the others players getting ready to enter the pitch. I knew he was going to mess up having learnt that he only arrived that same day!....cos he looked so dull and exhausted even before the game. I wonder what Lennon was thinking? Did he assume Ambrose was a super man or something? After ambrose made the first mistake of allowing a simple harmless long ball to bounce, i thought the coach would replace him at half time. But, he didn't! To me, this is slavery! Lennon needs to be sanctioned by the club.

2 Likes

Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Immortal1(m): 2:42pm On Feb 13, 2013
U've said it all!
oluwadare26:

He shud to be blame ofcouse! Or do u want to blame me? I'm pretty sure the Nigeria officials would warn him to disembark, but he refused.., i cant imagine, u played late in d night on sunday., partied 2ruout d night, travelled by air on Monday, get to play on Tuesday against an Italian Champion who taught "Chelsea" Europe defending champion "lessons" and he expect he's going to play well...? Y ur mates are still in abuja calculating how to develope their sites.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Freiburger(m): 2:43pm On Feb 13, 2013
Truequest: I watched with utter disbelief the inclusion of Nigerian international Efe Ambrose in the Celtic squad that lost to Juventus on Tuesday in Uefa Champions League. Ambrose was not only included in the squad but the lad was played all through the duration of the match. And commentators and analyst took turns to blame him for mistakes that lead to two of the goals conceded.

This is a lad that has just ended a gruesome tournament on Sunday night in far away South Africa, he may have possible arrived Scotland on Monday, then Tuesday he was in the starting eleven for a game against the Italian giants.

My questions are; Is it fair to blame this lad for being tired?

for more go to:
http://africanquarters.com/index.php/component/k2/item/6130-efe-ambrose-a-case-of-european-clubs-disregard-for-afcon.html

Why was he assingned for the match in the first place? Well, it is the deal he signed.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by omar22(m): 2:46pm On Feb 13, 2013
I blame the club, Someone who played late in the Sunday night, in a high altitude region, then after all that a 10 hours flight from Jo'Burg to Glasgow and the threw him at the deep end. Am happy that Celtic lost because they were bragging after beating Barcelona.....

Most of the pundits did say it was gamble Neil Lennon playing Ambrose, I didnt think they disregard the tournament....
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Babamide(m): 2:51pm On Feb 13, 2013
We could blame the coach for including him in the team, but I guess he was indispensable for him to have played 90mins. The main controversy is why the nations cup is played in January considering that most leagues are on at that time and even the transfer window is open. The nations cup should be played in the summer!

1 Like

Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by uzo4real(m): 2:51pm On Feb 13, 2013
He played on sunday and so? Na I'm fly the plane? He wld have been probably in the bussiness class and enjoyed himself all thru the flight. Abeg jet lag no dey work 4 we africans. He should be blamed joor.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by omar22(m): 2:56pm On Feb 13, 2013
uzo4real: He played on sunday and so? Na I'm fly the plane? He wld have been probably in the bussiness class and enjoyed himself all thru the flight. Abeg jet lag no dey work 4 we africans. He should be blamed joor.

I cant believe you just said that...

1 Like

Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by success4(m): 3:09pm On Feb 13, 2013
If the guy did not complain, I have no headache!
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by elampiro(m): 3:14pm On Feb 13, 2013
tuyi19: He should be blame for it. i dont see any reason for holding on to ball when surposed to have given a pass and rest, especially the second goal. the guy need to be worked on to know how to release ball on time.

The second error (3rd goal) was something he could easily have avoided. He unnecessarily held on to the ball while being crowded by two or three Juve midfielders. The first error (first goal) was clearly lack of concentration from Ambrose. He played well until his second error.

I think he let his coach down. The coach fielded him because of the high regard he has for Ambrose. But the coach would now realised it would have been better if he played even a much less experienced defender, because Ambromse was tired.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Afam4eva(m): 3:19pm On Feb 13, 2013
It's possible he was not forced or coerced to return but returned willingly in order to be part of the champions league.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 13, 2013
The Celtic Coach shouldn't have started him, whether Efe says he is fit to play or not.....

Shows how inexperienced the Celtic manager is...... A guy has just had a 4 week tournament, flew in Tuesday morning, and you starting him in top fixture against Juventus?

If you add jet lag, Fatigue, and Efe not training with his colleagues at Celtic, you should know the guy needs a rest.....

Maybe the Celtic manager is just desperate? He has surely learn.... Only a miracle is needed for Celtic to qualify......

@ OP.... Whether Europeans like it or not, Afcon has come to stay, and will even get better..... I think Afcon should be moved to summer though, @ odd years (summer 2015...2017)....

Won't clash with either the world cup or Euro cup....Players won't also have to leave their clubs when the season is well and going..
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by BZion(m): 3:22pm On Feb 13, 2013
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by nerodenero: 3:24pm On Feb 13, 2013
His standout performance at AFCON was responsible for that urgent call to club duties.Above all,I blame Ambrose partially because he had a bad day and majorly,the coach should be thrashed for fielding him.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Ucheosefoh(m): 3:31pm On Feb 13, 2013
mikeyhernadez: U dey ask me_you blooddy fool_i be like Niel Lenon for your eyes?
U are a big fool instead, did the op ask u or call ur name, attention seeker
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by CHAIRMAN1(m): 3:32pm On Feb 13, 2013
born2fuck: I think the guy need to rest for at least 3 days before playing, the same way manchester city fielded Yaya Toure on arrival at start of the games against southampton and they lost the match awfully, Gervinho was bench in arsenal, Tiote was also bench in Newcastle but came on later, the Club should know that body no bi firewood, thank God he messed and not collapse like Foe, player strength and body should be respected, when I first saw ambrose his name on starting list, I thought it was computer error......they deserve to lost, do they want to kill him because of one match even thought he is getting paid, not to lost life level

Bros, the fact that Neil Lennon fielded a tired Efe doesn't warrant you to blow this kind of Grammar. They deserve to Lost or Lose? You keep on using Lost instead of Lose. Take it easy abeg.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by mcquins14: 3:34pm On Feb 13, 2013
As a matter of fact, the lad arrived scotland less than 8hrs before the game. But then, like his coach rightly said, he understands that it was unfair to have played him in that game, but then he was helpless
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 13, 2013
U guys are always fast to blame the western world for your woes! Gervinho played, arouna kone did even his national team mates all played in AFCON why did he rush back to his club a day later? Even players that their team left the tournament earlier did not start a match for their clubs sides immediately so why will Ambrose rush back? Jet lag can limit him, he didn't even train with the team. He was greedy and selfish and thought himself Superman!
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by imperiouxx(m): 3:49pm On Feb 13, 2013
Babamide: We could blame the coach for including him in the team, but I guess he was indispensable for him to have played 90mins. The main controversy is why the nations cup is played in January considering that most leagues are on at that time and even the transfer window is open. The nations cup should be played in the summer!

The AFCON can't be played in the summer because it's going to clash with World Cup any year there is one.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by fili24: 3:52pm On Feb 13, 2013
@ poster
Forget about rushing him back or something
this guy is not good enough, he gave Juventus 2 away goals and also missed a free header angry
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by madjune(m): 3:57pm On Feb 13, 2013
The guy should be blamed. I believe he had his options, given that the manager asked if he was okay. I think he just wanted to keep his starting 11 shirt.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Nobody: 4:01pm On Feb 13, 2013
Dont mind them. Some of these european coaches can really be silly at times. How come nothing told any of the technical advisers that Efe wasnt supposed to be part of the game? I dont blame Efe for an inch for all d mishap, rather i blame the team of d not-well-thinkable technical committee unless they want me to believe that had they been the match was on monday, then Efe would've had to fly back that same sunday to future on the game on monday. Nonsense of them.
Re: Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON by Person2: 4:04pm On Feb 13, 2013
mikeyhernadez: U dey ask me_you blooddy fool_i be like Niel Lenon for your eyes?
or was he a learner?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Samuel Eto'o: I Prefer Mourinho's Style To Guardiola's / Benjamin Mendy Granted Bail, Awaits Trial For Rape & Sexual Assault Charges / Lewandowskii: FIFA Award More Important, Ballon D’or Votes Not Verifiable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.