Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,421 members, 7,843,278 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops - Foreign Affairs (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops (20117 Views)

Business Owners Set Foreigners Shops Alight In Soweto / Dutch Closes Prisons For Lack Of Criminals / Mc Cain, Closes Up, New Fox Poll To Poll Shows 47:44; Obama Lead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 8:56pm On Feb 14, 2013
Am not a ghanaian so you have to ask them
some-girl:

why are Ghanaians in Nigeria?
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by tonididdy(m): 9:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
Conquistador: the MOD is biased,very biased! what kind of rubbish is that.why delete only Ghanaian posts? utter crap! u can ban me! crap
haha e can pain.
Have u paid the ghana-nairaland tax?, nonsense,go practise your right to speech in your house haha

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by StarFist(m): 9:29pm On Feb 14, 2013
Well, we don't need to shout over this matter! By next week, we will deport 80 of their countrymen doing good business here. That will be the consequences. Tis like what happened in the movie sector wasn't enough for them.
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by coputa(m): 9:41pm On Feb 14, 2013
The igbos always attract attention to themselves in whatever they do. They have that domineering spirit and no sane government will accept that..Go to countries like cote d'ivoire,senegal,mali.the Gambia.,Guinea,Togo e.t.c. the ibos have virtually taken over their economy..it is too glaring for their host to see it..dont blame them they r protecting their economy..

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Smooyis(m): 9:44pm On Feb 14, 2013
Can't really blame the ghanian authority for. Standing by their law. Or do we think it is Naija in which anything goes. Can't also pity Nigerians who fail to obey rules and regulations back home but prefer to stay in foreign land and be subjected to all forms of abuse. If we don't regard our country no one would regard us as well. Shame.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 14, 2013
Just becos we win afcon and they win wood
abbakacici: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops.

**this area was transformed into a beehive of commerce by the Nigerian traders. when we came to this place it was virtually empty.
**I pay VAT, IRS and other taxes. everything and yet they closed my shop.

Ghanaian authorities have renewed the siege against foreign traders, as the Ministry of Trade and Industry, at the weekend clamped down over 40 shops belonging to Nigerians.
The shops located at Akanshie, about 200 meters away from the Mokola International Market were occupied by Nigerians, who traded in bicycle spare parts and other accessories.

According to one of the affected traders, Mr. Damien Uduba, their shops were stormed by some officials of the Ministry of Trade and Industry, who compelled them to pack their goods and thereafter had the shops under lock and key. The officials were reported to have secured the shops with their own padlocks, thereby making them inaccessible to the owners.

Business in the usually busy area has almost grinded to a halt, as only a few shops said to be owned by Ghanaians are open.
“Official of the Ministry of Trade and Ministry of Ghana came yesterday and asked us to close and pack our things. And afterwards, they locked up all the shops and asked us to go out of their markets. In fact we are all troubled, we started packing our things inside the shops, and they locked everything inside and took the keys away,” Uduba revealed.
A written notice pasted on the doors of the sealed shops titled “Notice to Non-Ghanaians engaging in retail business,” instructed them to regularize their businesses before they would be allowed to continue doing business.
A ruffled Uduba insisted that he had done all that was required by the Ghanaian law to do business in the country, “If you see in my hands, I have all the documents, we are obliged to obtain. This is the document from the Ghanaian government authorizing me to commence business in the country.

“You can see another document. This is my Resident Permit, allowing me to reside in the country. In fact I have all the documents. I pay VAT, IRS and other taxes. I pay everything and yet they closed my shop. They said I should move out of the market. I should pack all my things and go back to Nigeria,” he said.

Another affected trader, Mr. Prince Uzokwu, who also recounted his ordeal at the ministry, said he was told that he would only be allowed into his shop to pack his goods out of the place. He was not allowed to continue trading in the area.

Uzokwu recollected that the area was transformed into a beehive of commerce by the Nigerian traders stating, “When we came to this place it was virtually empty, but you know Nigerians. I came and I brought somebody and that person brought another and within a period of time, the place blossomed into a market.
“So if I go to the bush or a village to establish again, maybe tomorrow, the place will also turn into a market and they will come and expel us again. So we don’t know what to do about it. We are losing business and we have families to fend for,” he blustered.
Uduba added that the conciliatory moves by ECOWAS Parliament that brought them some respite may have been disregarded by the Ghanaian authorities.

Mr. Joseph Obeng, the National Organizer of Ghana Union of Traders Association (GUTA) insisted that there was nothing like concession. The laws of the country must be implemented to the letter. In so far as their law had reserved retail business for Ghanaians alone it must be respected.

Oteng also reasoned that Ghana cannot forgo her laws when her nationals in other ECOWAS countries were subject to domicile laws.
The President of the Nigerian Union of Traders Association in Ghana (NUTAG), Deacon John Igwe Ukala, who expressed surprise at the latest intimidation of Nigerian traders, explained that he was unaware of any default on the part of their members that could have prompted the action taken by the Ghanaian authorities.

“I always tell our members to be law abiding and do as the law of Ghana says. Don’t misbehave here, pay your tax, pay your VAT, and get your Resident Permit. To my greatest surprise, when I heard this news yesterday we were really shocked. I cannot understand the cause of this, because I know our members have complied with their laws,” he posited. - daily trust.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news-news/50528-ghana-re-opens-old-wound-closes-40-nigerians-shops
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by carltz101: 10:35pm On Feb 14, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Any Nigerian dat talk here is a fool.

Africans(Blacks) will forever be backward.

Not even in homeland are business encouraged due to tribalism.

Afterall, Fashola did exactly the same yesterday in Lagos to Igbo traders.sad
itz like am in love wid U just cos of ur post
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by ValentineRoses: 10:35pm On Feb 14, 2013
Star Fist :
Well, we don't need to shout over this matter! By next week, we will deport 80 of their countrymen doing good business here. That will be the consequences. Tis like what happened in the movie sector wasn't enough for them.
Do ur worse grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Anaphylaxis(m): 11:13pm On Feb 14, 2013
please where are the mods. why have so many shockingly hateful and racist comments been allowed to go unchecked?
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by mavinc4u(f): 11:26pm On Feb 14, 2013
Akshow: if you get work you wont reply us or make that stupid bigoted comment in the first place. If na Fashola alone dey close your people shop we for say na wickedness. Now even Ghana too. Isn't that enough to let you know there is somethin wrong wit your people and tax payment?

the topic says Ghana closed 40 shops, i didn't see where they stated igbos there-was the message a typo error or you are the error message here. Please explain.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by djfiifi(m): 11:52pm On Feb 14, 2013
some-girl:

"mast" is not the right way to pronounce "must" neither is "edge" the right way to pronounce "urge". I could go on...

shocked shocked shocked shocked
What is this lady talking about?
məs(t), ˈməst-must
(ûrj)-urge

I expected you not to be having difficulties with phonics but you 'gbaa' big time.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Abrantie: 12:09am On Feb 15, 2013
How did this news make front page? Do you know how many Nigerians are in Ghana doing legal and illegal businesses? Only 40 shops and you Nigerians want to commit suicide? I wonder what would happen when we issue Alien Complianced Order 2.0.
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by MSEdLAW(m): 1:38am On Feb 15, 2013
shymexx: Perhaps Ghanaians are also tribalists like the Lagos governor lol... grin

That's the problem with Nigerians - you lot are allergic to running legit businesses with the right protocols... Yet you scream blue murder at everything...

Big ups to Ghanaians for ensuring sanity in their beloved country - Nigerians need to learn the hard way!!
Be factual in ur comments and import statistics that support ur bizarre and polemic conclusions that nigerians are allergic to legit bizness.. Are u of d firm conviction that no Nigerian in Ghana runs a legit bizness to exclude him/her from dis inhumane treatment.. Before u field bias analysis from your Gut ...pls think twice.. #proudlyNigerian
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Truckpusher(m): 3:32am On Feb 15, 2013
mavinc4u:

the topic says Ghana closed 40 shops, i didn't see where they stated igbos there-was the message a typo error or you are the error message here. Please explain.
buhahahahaha grin grin grin grin
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 6:24am On Feb 15, 2013
IM NOT SURPRISED BY THE VENOM AND BILE BEING THROWN UP NIGERIANS ARE VERY HATEFUL AND WILL NEVER ADMIT IT. LOOK WHAT WE HAVE TURNED OUR COUNTRY TO AND NO ONE SHOULD BE FOOLED BY THIS APPARENT 'SHOW OF SOLIDARITY' COS IFTHOSE TRADERS WERE DEPORTED ITS NOT LIKE THEY WILL BE TREATED ANY BETER BACK HOME? THEIR BROTHERS WILL ROB, KIDNAP AND CHEAT THEM ALL THE SAME.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 6:40am On Feb 15, 2013
AND TO SHOW HOW FOOLISH NIGERIANS REALLY ARE ID GIVE THIS EXAMPLE. A FEW YEARS BACK, GHADDAFI, THEN HEAD OF THE A.U, LOOKING @ THE SITUATION IN THE COUNTRY SUGGESTED THAT THE COUNTRY SHOULD BE SPLIT ALONG ETHNIC LINES. NIGERIANS REPSONDED IN THEIR USUAL HATEFUL FASHION WITH ANGER AND VENOM CALLING HIM A MADMAN. A FEW MONTHS LATER, CRISIS, THEN EVERYONE IS CALLING 4 THE COUNTRY TO BE SPLIT ALONG ETHNIC LINES. THE SUPOSED MADMAN'S SUGGESTION MAKES U WONDER WHO IS CRAZY.

OYA MAKE UNA BEGIN ABUSE ME IN UR USUAL HATEFUL, IGNORANT FASHION WHENEVER THE TRUTH IS TOLD
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Balkan(m): 7:59am On Feb 15, 2013
Babzilla: AND TO SHOW HOW FOOLISH NIGERIANS REALLY ARE ID GIVE THIS EXAMPLE. A FEW YEARS BACK, GHADDAFI, THEN HEAD OF THE A.U, LOOKING @ THE SITUATION IN THE COUNTRY SUGGESTED THAT THE COUNTRY SHOULD BE SPLIT ALONG ETHNIC LINES. NIGERIANS REPSONDED IN THEIR USUAL HATEFUL FASHION WITH ANGER AND VENOM CALLING HIM A MADMAN. A FEW MONTHS LATER, CRISIS, THEN EVERYONE IS CALLING 4 THE COUNTRY TO BE SPLIT ALONG ETHNIC LINES. THE SUPOSED MADMAN'S SUGGESTION MAKES U WONDER WHO IS CRAZY.

OYA MAKE UNA BEGIN ABUSE ME IN UR USUAL HATEFUL, IGNORANT FASHION WHENEVER THE TRUTH IS TOLD
GHANA MUST GO
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 8:13am On Feb 15, 2013
black man wit black mindset....
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by londoner: 8:51am On Feb 15, 2013
Nigerians should leave Ghana....simple. They do not want Nigerians there.

Whether cooked up or not......being Nigerian is crime enough in itself for them.

Leave Ghana and go back to Nigeria.In fact Nigerians should look towards home, where they can. Never sow and water all your seeds in another mans garden.

Before harvest he will send you packing.

We need all hands on deck in Nigeria right now..........
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by blocker: 9:01am On Feb 15, 2013
coputa: The igbos always attract attention to themselves in whatever they do. They have that domineering spirit and no sane government will accept that..Go to countries like cote d'ivoire,senegal,mali.the Gambia.,Guinea,Togo e.t.c. the ibos have virtually taken over their economy..it is too glaring for their host to see it..dont blame them they r protecting their economy..
. So a country's economy is better protected by removing foreign investment and subsequently reducing GDP and cutting jobs Nna m? Na only God know the kind school wen u go. They are not protecting jackshit because the initial capital for the businesses was not got from Ghanian Banks. Let us call a spade a shovel if u like.
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by malabite3: 10:10am On Feb 15, 2013
ayswags: First to comment again 3 times just today only, baba god thank u

§ø what?
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by SmoothLIFE: 10:13am On Feb 15, 2013
Nigeria repatriates over 16,000 migrants from ECOWAS sub-region.

“Actually we repatriated 16, 738 illegal immigrants, mainly of the ECOWAS sub region, but we did not remove these people because they are ECOWAS nationals.

“There are still many ECOWAS nationals living with us, because of the security challenge, we removed only those that did not have travel documents, to even let us know of their nationality.

“This is because it is the travel document of a holder that will determine nationality,” she said

She said the persons repatriated included users of illegal routes and those who loitered around with the tendency for criminal acts.

The comptroller-general said the service was working in line with the ECOWAS protocol on the free movement of persons into member states.

“When you enter, you should register your presence with the local government office of the immigration service; and when you stay, you have the right to enter for nine months within which you will be able to look for employment.

“When you get this employment, you are supposed to regularise your stay; you have the right to establish a business, but you must follow due process and establish yourself.”

She noted that when parts of Nigeria’s boarders were closed earlier in the year, the service was able to stop at least 17,000 Nigerians from leaving the country through illegal routes.

Uzoma added that the service was working with various agencies to help bring back Nigerians who were trafficked to other countries of the world.

She said that the service had signed an agreement with countries such as Switzerland on how to resettle returnee Nigerians with a specific amount of money to enable them re-establish themselves.

http://en.starafrica.com/news/nigeria-repatriates-over-16000-migrants-from-ecowas-sub-region.html

Stupid ignorant hypocrites!! Alien compliance NOW!

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by JeSoul(f): 10:17am On Feb 15, 2013
Anaphylaxis: please where are the mods. why have so many shockingly hateful and racist comments been allowed to go unchecked?
You know what, you're right.

Since you guys cannot discuss in a mature respectful manner, thread locked.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10)

US Brands India’s Response To Ukraine War ‘Unsatisfactory / Shooting At Northside Hospital, Atlanta. 1 Dead, 4 Injured. Shooter on the run / Letter With Poisonous Ricin Sent To Obama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.