Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,810 members, 7,820,835 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History (9310 Views)

Deeper Life Bible Church Among Other Churches? / Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches / RCCG, E.A. Adeboye (and All Other Churches) - Free Will Or Predestination? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 4:55pm On Mar 20, 2008
By the way, sola fide (by faith alone) contradicts this passage ==>

James 2:14-26
14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day,

16 and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well," but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it?

17 So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 Indeed someone might say, "You have faith and I have works." Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works.

19 You believe that God is one. You do well. Even the demons believe that and tremble.

20 Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar?

22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by the works.

23 Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called "the friend of God."

24 See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

25 And in the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by a different route?

26 For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 4:57pm On Mar 20, 2008
JeSoul:

how funny! so now you want to quote Paul's words huh? I will show your duplicity:
quote from imhotep: Why all of a sudden is it okay for you to take Paul's words literally?

This is exactly my point! you quote the bible only when it suits and supports your position.
but when that same bible contradicts it you completely ignore it!

Beautiful.
1) Paul was addressing these communities to whom he was a shepherd (spiritually).
2) Paul was NOT interpreting the words of Jesus in these passages.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 20, 2008
imhotep , please stop the verbal semantics,

I am not interested in what kind of denomination or how many denominations exist, since the bible did not tell me salvation is dependent on which denomination one belongs to , rather the bible is sufficient for the development of every Christian independent of any denomination.

I am not telling you or asking your questions based on denominations. I am strictly basing my statements and question on what the bible clearly says and not what a denominations says, as such try not to deviate the focus away from the points raised on this thread without points about sect or denominations. I am basing my statements on denominational believe or statements of ordinary people, instead i am basing it solely on what the bible clearly says. So in order to save readers from undue diversion, try and restrict your responses to within biblical context (and i mean the actualy bible and not the Catholic bible).

So you would do well to try and answer or respond to the raised issues point by point and try not to deviate into other issues that are not relevant to this thread.

You can pick and choose from any other the points that have already being raised on this thread,

By the way, i am still waiting for your answers to the following questions and raised point:

1. Was Mary actually crucified.

2. Is Salvation by Faith Alone in Jesus Christ

3. Was Mary born a Sinner

4. Did Mary die, at all

5. How come Semeramis (the origin of Baal worship) has more in commmon with Catholism

6. How come the practises and actions of catholism are vehemently spoken against by the bible

7. How come a catholic bible says Mary is going to crush the serpent's head even though the Biblical verses and Biblical prophecy that was fufilled with the Birth, Death and Ressurection of Jesus Christ clearly shows that the seed of the woman was going to crush the serpent's head:

8. Can anyone be saved without honouring or worshipping the mental or physical image of Mary

9. Does purgatory exist in the bible

10. Why does the catholic church believe in evolution , giving that evolution is absolutely contrary to the SIX LITERAL 24HRS DAYS OF CREATION

11. Is salvation dependent on Mary, show me where the bible says so,

11. Is salvation dependent on Catholic Traditions, show me where the bible says so

The catholic bible "Douay-Rheims Version" shows of the lies of catholism when it says (or imply) that Mary (woman) was going to crush the serpent's head:

Douay-Rheims Version Gen 3:15  I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed; she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.

Yet "The KJV Bible" bluntly shows that the "seed of the woman (Jesus Christ) who is going to crush the head of the serpent as quoted below:

Gen 3:14   And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
Gen 3:15   And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

imhotep okay over to you,
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 20, 2008
SysUser:

imhotep , please stop the verbal semantics,

I am not interested in what kind of denomination or how many denominations exist, since the bible did not tell me salvation is dependent on which denomination one belongs to , rather the bible is sufficient for the development of every Christian independent of any denomination.

I am not telling you or asking your questions based on denominations. I am strictly basing my statements and question on what the bible clearly says and not what a denominations says, as such try not to deviate the focus away from the points raised on this thread without points about sect or denominations. I am basing my statements on denominational believe or statements of ordinary people, instead i am basing it solely on what the bible clearly says. So in order to save readers from undue diversion, try and restrict your responses to within biblical context (and i mean the actualy bible and not the Catholic bible).

So you would do well to try and answer or respond to the raised issues point by point and try not to deviate into other issues that are not relevant to this thread.

You can pick and choose from any other the points that have already being raised on this thread,

By the way, i am still waiting for your answers to the following questions and raised point:

1. Was Mary actually crucified.

2. Is Salvation by Faith Alone in Jesus Christ

3. Was Mary born a Sinner

4. Did Mary die, at all

5. How come Semeramis (the origin of Baal worship) has more in commmon with Catholism

6. How come the practises and actions of catholism are vehemently spoken against by the bible

7. How come a catholic bible says Mary is going to crush the serpent's head even though the Biblical verses and Biblical prophecy that was fufilled with the Birth, Death and Ressurection of Jesus Christ clearly shows that the seed of the woman was going to crush the serpent's head:

8. Can anyone be saved without honouring or worshipping the mental or physical image of Mary

9. Does purgatory exist in the bible

10. Why does the catholic church believe in evolution , giving that evolution is absolutely contrary to the SIX LITERAL 24HRS DAYS OF CREATION

11. Is salvation dependent on Mary, show me where the bible says so,

11. Is salvation dependent on Catholic Traditions, show me where the bible says so

The catholic bible "Douay-Rheims Version" shows of the lies of catholism when it says (or imply) that Mary (woman) was going to crush the serpent's head:

Douay-Rheims Version Gen 3:15 I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed; she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.

Yet "The KJV Bible" bluntly shows that the "seed of the woman (Jesus Christ) who is going to crush the head of the serpent as quoted below:

Gen 3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

imhotep okay over to you,
@Sysuser
These questions derive from conspiracy theories. Do not recycle ignorance in this information age of ours.

Go and browse http://www.vatican.va. There is nothing secret about the Catholic church's teachings; they are beautifully documented.

Catholic theology is well documented here -> http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/aquinas/summa/index.htm

It usually takes years to fully understand the entire teachings of the 2000 year old Catholic Church.

Study these teachings from the right sources, and you will learn to ask the right questions.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 20, 2008
Sysuser:
I am not telling you or asking your questions based on denominations. I am strictly basing my statements and question on what the bible clearly says and not what a denominations says, as such try not to deviate the focus away from the points raised on this thread without points about sect or denominations

It is precisely those that have held on to sola scriptura that have kept dividing into 33,000 sects who generally hate and misunderstand each other. There must be something wrong here.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 20, 2008
oooops, grin the following quote was a misnormer, a typo error!

I am basing my statements on denominational believe or statements of ordinary people, instead i am basing it solely on what the bible clearly says.

the real statement that i meant was that:

I am not basing my statements on denominational believe or statements of ordinary people, instead i am basing it solely on what the bible clearly says.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 20, 2008
SysUser:

oooops, grin the following quote was a misnormer, a typo error!

the real statement that i meant was that:

I am not basing my statements on denominational believe or statements of ordinary people, instead i am basing it solely on what the bible clearly says.

And I repeat: It is precisely those that have held on to sola scriptura that have kept dividing into 33,000 sects who generally hate and misunderstand each other. There must be something wrong here.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 20, 2008
@Sysuser
These questions derive from conspiracy theories. Do not recycle ignorance in this information age of ours.

Go and browse http://www.vatican.va. There is nothing secret about the Catholic church's teachings; they are beautifully documented.

Catholic theology is well documented here -> http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/aquinas/summa/index.htm

It usually takes years to fully understand the entire teachings of the 2000 year old Catholic Church.

Study these teachings from the right sources, and you will learn to ask the right questions.

once again imhotep, you are begging , dodging and sweeping the questions under the already dirty carpet of catholism
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 5:30pm On Mar 20, 2008
SysUser:

once again imhotep, you are begging , dodging and sweeping the questions under the already dirty carpet of catholism

You are the one subscribing to conspiracy theories and a pedestrian understanding of Catholic Theology
. If you ask me the right questions, I will answer you. Till then, I suggest you go and study.

If you do not want to study, then go and preach to your juju-blending Cele brothers, who carry the bible about - just like you do.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 20, 2008
imhotep:

@Sysuser

Artful Dodging and Dodger

Another dodging tactics,

imhotep , aba, i am not asking you for Catholic History, rather what i am asking you is that use the bible to justify that catholic claims and then also use the bible to disprove the fact that the bible goes against catholic church.

Arakunrin!!!! , please answer, the questions , stop begging the questions
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 5:53pm On Mar 20, 2008
SysUser:

imhotep , aba, i am not asking you for Catholic History, rather what i am asking you is that use the bible to justify that catholic claims and then also use the bible to disprove the fact that the bible goes against catholic church.

Arakunrin!!!! , please answer, the questions , stop begging the questions

They are not questions, but anti-catholic conspiracies. I have seen plenty of these conspiracies and have learnt how to ignore them

So, I WILL NOT answer these non-questions until you prove to me that you have studied the underlying theologies well.

Neither am I impressed with the way protestants have handled the bible.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 5:59pm On Mar 20, 2008

hmmm, so does it take years for you catholics to know about the salvation giving to you by the catholic church god

The good news is very simple, its doesn't take years!

Salvation does not take years of church history, church history has nothing to do about SALVATION.

Salvation is not a human process that takes years, YOU ARE EITHER SAVED OR YOU ARE NOT!

Your 2000 year old church history only goes to show how far you have fallen , in don't need to know about your church history before i know what the bible says about salvation.

Your church history only becomes exposed and important, once it shows that it contradicts the bible (which it does),

IMHOTEP , THE MORE YOU SAY, THE MORE YOU SHOW THAT YOU DO NOT BELIEVE THE BIBLE HAS THE FINAL WORD ON ANYTHING.

So imhotep stop the excuses and answer points and questions raised on the thread
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 20, 2008
SysUser:

The good news is very simple, its doesn't take years!
Salvation does not take years of church history, church history has nothing to do about SALVATION.

Salvation is not a human process that takes years, YOU ARE EITHER SAVED OR YOU ARE NOT!
I suppose Martin Luther understood this when he desired to murder all the Jews - after his intense study of the bible, sola fide, sola scriptura, etc etc ??

SysUser:

Your 2000 year old church history only goes to show how far you have fallen , in don't need to know about your church history before i know what the bible says about salvation.

Your church history only becomes exposed and important, once it shows that it contradicts the bible (which it does),

This reveals the insecurity and self-doubt in you.

SysUser:

IMHOTEP , THE MORE YOU SAY, THE MORE YOU SHOW THAT YOU DO NOT BELIEVE THE BIBLE HAS THE FINAL WORD ON ANYTHING.

I repeat: protestants that believe the bible mix it with juju and split into 33,000 mutually distrusting sects. These numerous sects have made the message of Christ look like cajolery. What can you learn from that?

SysUser:

So imhotep stop the excuses and answer points and questions raised on the thread

Catholics are not insecure about their faith - they don't need to demolish another person's faith in order to verify their own. Once again, I urge you to go and study.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 6:17pm On Mar 20, 2008
tongue embarassed cheesy grin

Only Two ways exist for a man or woman

either

1. The True and Only way via only Jesus Christ alone

or

2. The false and deceitful ways of the world (i.s.l.a.m, catholism, hinduism, buddism, taoism, mormonism, jehova witnessing etc) only lead to HELL,
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 20, 2008
SysUser:

tongue embarassed cheesy grin

Only Two ways exist for a man or woman

either

1. The True and Only way via only Jesus Christ alone

or

2. The false and deceitful ways of the world (i.s.l.a.m, catholism, hinduism, buddism, taoism, mormonism, jehova witnessing etc) only lead to HELL,
@Sysuser
I repeat: fanaticism is an overcompensation for doubt.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 20, 2008
Imhotep, imhotep, imhotep, imhotep, undecided

Over to God, concerning you!
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Lady2(f): 5:49am On Mar 23, 2008
@SysUser
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at ur insanity and I truly hope to God ur just playing a prank for fun on the internet.

This so called version that u speak of, I have not heard of it. I am a proud catholic and I have the New American Bible (catholic bible) right here with me and no where does it state that the woman shall crush the head of the serpent. It says the man. I will do more research about the D-Rheism version u speak about. I can tell u that it is not of the catholic church. There are many printing presses today and many insane people roaming the world. Anyone can actually have a bible printed up as long as they have the money for it.

As per ur claim that the christians don't base their faith in Jesus Christ, u are wrong.
u wrote that we base our beliefs on faith, grace, works, and something else. I pray thee, tell me what it is we base our faith and receive our grace if it's not in and from Jesus Christ. U want us to prove our claims, u also must reference urs.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Lady2(f): 6:10am On Mar 23, 2008
@sysuser

seriously as Imhotep put it u do have to ask the right questions and the catholic church is not hiding from anyone. if u want answers u can truly research it. don't ask questions just to ridicule the church because of ur hatred towards it. i was shocked at the questions u pose. i myself don't know how to answer them because they are ridiculous and would like to know ur sources for them. why is it u think that the catholic church holds these practices other than the obvious answer of u heard from others or u saw from the outside looking in. have u stepped foot into a catholic church and can u hold these questions u ask to be valid (that is the church actually practices them) or are u just trying to speak out of ur arse?

@Others reading this

If u truly want to know about the catholic church i suggest u look it up. if u can log onto this webpage certainly u can google or u can walk into a church and ask a priest (i assure u they don't bite)
or if u truly and sincerely want to know then ask a question that is worth answering, and i do mean question and not an attack. also be open minded to the answers u receive. don't have it in mind to rebuttal the answers given. most of the people who pose questions don't mean to receive answers. they just want to find something to say against the catholic church.

I also want to address the question about confessing to priests and who gave them the power to forgive. there was a thread about it and i couldn't find it. but people asked for the bible verse in which it says that we should confess and i gave it, but they also wanted one that gave men the power to forgive and here it is:

John 20: 19-23
19. On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them "peace be with u"
20. When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
21. Jesus said to them again "peace be with u. As the Father has sent me, so I send you."
22. And when he had said this, he breathed unto them and said to them, "Receive the holy spirit"
23. "Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained"

God is the one who forgives our sins, without his grace, we are unable to forgive. It is through God that I forgive my biological father for abandoning me and my mother, it is through God that I forgive my boyfriend for cheating on me, it is through God that I forgive my friend for stealing from me. I forgive so that my sins too can be forgiven.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by JeSoul(f): 3:00pm On Mar 23, 2008
Lady,
    first let me say I love your spirit and the way you've approached the discussion.  smiley

Now I have done my research on the catholic church, and have found things that have dumbfounded me, things that are outright against the holy bible, practices that are unscriptural and tend to glorify man vs God. Sysuser is very passionate about God and the bible, that's why he might come off as "attacking" the catholic church BUT if you take the time to research the things he's been saying, you'll find for yourself they are true. I know you already have your beliefs about what the catholic church is but I challenge you my sister to go back and compare scripturally what the catholic church teaches vs what the bible teaches, and you will be suprised.

~Lady~:

I also want to address the question about confessing to priests and who gave them the power to forgive. there was a thread about it and i couldn't find it. but people asked for the bible verse in which it says that we should confess and i gave it, but they also wanted one that gave men the power to forgive and here it is:

John 20: 19-23
19. On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them "peace be with u"
20. When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
21. Jesus said to them again "peace be with u. As the Father has sent me, so I send you."
22. And when he had said this, he breathed unto them and said to them, "Receive the holy spirit"
23. "Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained"

my sister, this verse has been debated inside out  smiley here's just one link of many https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-116335.0.html   Cassiel was/is a catholic herself and stated how she at a point realized that what the church teaches is unbiblical.

God is the one who forgives our sins, without his grace, we are unable to forgive. It is through God that I forgive my biological father for abandoning me and my mother, it is through God that I forgive my boyfriend for cheating on me, it is through God that I forgive my friend for stealing from me. I forgive so that my sins too can be forgiven.
  Like I said before, I admire your spirit and the way you approached this topic, but my dear how can you say priests forgive sins and also say God only forgives sins?
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Lady2(f): 12:16am On Mar 24, 2008
@JeSeoul

I think you're missing the part where I say that it's by his grace. Without his grace we cannot forgive, we cannot breathe, we cannot live. From what u said, u are insinuating that we cannot live or breathe, because I said it is by his grace. Please don't pick and choose my words and misquote me to better ur point. I wrote out the verses before that so that u may see what comes before that. I did not pick a verse and use it to my own good. No need to be redundant so please read the verses I posted and tell me what u got from that. I will visit the link u provided. It was from the breath of Christ that the disciples got the spirit to forgive. Without it (the grace of God) we cannot, hence it is through God. He said what u bind on earth will be bound in heaven. He said whose sins u forgive, will be forgiven them, and whose sins u retain will be retained. I don't know any other clearer way to put that and that is exactly how it's written in the Bible, no additions to it at all.

As per the teachings of the church. It is biblical. I did my research and if I am in doubt, I visit the catechism and get my answers. It tells us why we believe what we believe and backs it up with a verse. So far the verses I have visited have made perfect sense to me, but hey the way I interpret the Bible is different from the way u interpret it. That's why Muhammed felt he got the better interpretation and we christians don't agree with it. That's his view and we have our view.

The church's teachings stands firmly on the Bible. Now I would understand if ur speaking about the Mary issue, because that is debatable, but when it comes to the teachings on Christ, my dear we stand firmly on the Bible. I wasn't always a Catholic. I was born into it, but left when I was young, I attended many different churches in search of the truth, but only found them to be confused. I didn't even receive answers to questions I asked, and no one could give me a clear understanding of the Bible. So I embarked on my own journey and it lead me back to the Catholic Church through the holy spirit. I do want to thank u all for challenge because it forces me to do more research and funny thing is the more research I do, the more my faith increases in the Catholic Church.

I don't know if u have a copy of the catechism, but I do, so please any questions u have let me know and I will look it up, but don't attack my faith. If u sincerely want to know, ask me sincerely. I will tell u the truth, if I feel the Catholic church doesn't base it on the bible then I will tell u and u decide for urself. Also keep in mind that u won't convert me, so don't let that be ur goal.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by topkin(m): 12:41am On Mar 24, 2008
All this plenty talk is heard everyday and everywhere. U criticising the Catholic Church, do you truly agree with everthing done in ur church or everything ur pastor says? Definitly not, cos nothing on this earth is perfect. Sapre me all this balderdash.

One thing I'm sure about is this, I will continue to be a Catholic cos I kno what I want. I no go argue with anybody. Goodluck with ur church
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by JeSoul(f): 3:20pm On Mar 24, 2008
lady,
and I hope you've taken the time to go thru the other thread where this was discussed in-depth and how the catholic church is falsely and erroneously using that one verse to justify priests forgiving sins. How can you continue to quote 1 verse, when there are 50 million other verses that contradict your conclusion?
The bible clearly teaches that it is God only that forgives sins in many other verses, how can you all just simply ignore those verses?

A copy of the catechism? I will not be caught dead with that evil book lipsrsealed I have done my extensive research and have found it to be evil and unbiblical and not of God. Whether or not you accept or believe . . . he that hath an ear, let him hear.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Lady2(f): 6:56pm On Mar 25, 2008
@JeSoul

The 50 million passages don't contradict the one passage (there's more than one), it proves it. U however, interpret it differently. Please don't call my faith evil, I don't insult urs so don't insult mine. Be mature please. 1 billion catholic christians agree with it compared to the one billion christians that are 33,000 divided. Don't insult God's church. Catholics don't insult the other 33,000 God's churches out there, instead we do the Christ like thing and accept them. We do the Christ like thing and don't judge them, however u all do the unChrist like thing and judge us. But still we accept and love u as God's own.

If we are evil to u, that's fine, we accept ur judgement with humility. But please there are other evils in the world worth fighting, like poverty and illness, and injustice.

God bless U smiley
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Lady2(f): 7:43pm On Mar 26, 2008
@SysUser
How u doing?
I'm going to address some of the questions u posted to the best of my ability, and the rest that I cannot, I will seek the answers for u.

1. Was Mary actually Crucified? NO (THIS IS NOT A TEACHING OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH)

2. Is salvation by Faith Alone in Jesus Christ? I am a bit confused as to what you're asking here, pehaps the way it is worded.
If you're trying to figure out if salvation comes by faith in Jesus Christ, then yes.
If you're trying to figure out if salvation is by faith alone (in Jesus Christ), then No. James 3: 14 - 26, tell us that faith without works is dead.

3. Was Mary born a sinner? Ask God who created her, he had her in mind from the beginning.
The church teaches that she was cleansed from original sin by Jesus Christ and stayed that way.
I'll seek more answers for u

4. Did Mary die at all? When her earthly life was complete she was taken up body and spirit. The Church teaches that.
I will get more answers for u

5. How come Semeramis (the origin of Baal worship) has more in common with Catholicsm?
Who told u they do? A group on the internet? How reliable are they? Are they actually telling the truth? Do u know about semeramis? Keep in mind muslims claim a lot about christ and don't even know him. I looked it up and when reading about it I laughed, it turns out that even if they know about semeramis, they don't know about catholism. The knowledge they have about Catholicsm is false, for example they noted the "40 days mourning" of the sun gog or whatever that thing is and said that's equivalent to the mourning of catholics, when in fact the catholics don't mourn during lent, what are we mourning, Christ wsn't dead. We follow in the footsteps of Christ as he fasted for 40 days in the wilderness, preparing for his ministry. In ancient times, those who were to be baptised used the period of lent to prepare themselves for the journey ahead as Christians, today the whole Christian community joins them, and also renew themselves in the convenant with God.

6. How come the practices and action of catholicsm are vehemently spoken against by the Bible?
Which practices? The true practices, or the ones people made up in their minds? The true practices or conspiracy theories that u heard and put in your mind and hold as truth?

7. How come the Douay-Rheims Bible, a catholic bible says that Mary would crush the head of the serpent?
I looked up the Bible and it doesn't say that, stop misqouting. I do however question that Bible because it said that she will crush the head of the serpent and then it gave an explanation and her it is: "She shall crush", Ipsa, the woman; so divers of the fathers read this place, conformably to the Latin: others read it ipsum, viz., the seed. The sense is the same: for it is by her seed, Jesus Christ, that the woman crushes the serpent's head
Now am I going by that Bible? No, my Bible says the seed, but as that Bible explains it, it comes down to interpretation of the latin words during translation. For example when we say a word in our native language and try to translate it to english, it doesn't hold the EXACT meaning.

8. Can anyone be saved without honouring or worshipping Mary?
This isn't the teaching of the Catholic Church. So No Mary does not do the saving, it is NOT by her or throguh her that we receive salvation, there is no such thing as a prayer IN Mary's name, at least not in the Catholic Church.

9. Does Purgatory exist in the Bible? Yes 1 Peter 3: 18 - 20, but that is debatable based on how u interpret that. Can go into my interpretations later if you want. But I want to ask u, does souls go to heaven or hell immediately they die? If yes, why then would they need to be raised up on judgment day and they account for their works/faith? If no, where are they then? If just floating around in some kind of a "holding place," that is what is called purgatory, we just happen to have a name for it.

10. How come the Catholics beleive in evolution when the bible clearly states that it took literally 6 days, 24 hrs for creation?
First, if u hold that literal sense to be true then u must not have read revelation. Second, it may not have been literal, I do have to come back to u though because am not a science buff, but I do know someone that is and we already had this discussion, he shows why it is that "evolutionists" tend to be Christians because the idea of creation in the Bible falls more in line with it.

11. Is salvation dependent on Mary?
No the church does not teach that.

11. Is salvation dependent on the catholic traditions? The traditions are generated from the Bible for example the christmas and easter that we both celebrate, but trust and believe that Salvation comes from the belief in Jesus Christ, and the catholic traditions are based on the belief in Jesus Christ.

I hope this helps, gotta run, will be back with the other answers. Take care.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:11pm On May 16, 2008
~Lady~:

@SysUser
3. Was Mary born a sinner? Ask God who created her, he had her in mind from the beginning.
The church teaches that she was cleansed from original sin by Jesus Christ and stayed that way.
I'll seek more answers for u

In the gospel according to Luke 1:46-47 (King James Version)

46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Mary, animated by Elisabeth's address, and being also under the influence of the Holy Ghost, broke out into joy, admiration, and gratitude. She knew herself to be a sinner who needed a Saviour, and that she could no otherwise rejoice in God than as interested in his salvation through the promised Messiah.

This disqualifies the doctrine of the immaculate conception taught in the RCC.  The doctrine that teaches that Mary was born without original sin.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 16, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

Mary, animated by Elisabeth's address, and being also under the influence of the Holy Ghost, broke out into joy, admiration, and gratitude. She knew herself to be a sinner who needed a Saviour, and that she could no otherwise rejoice in God than as interested in his salvation through the promised Messiah.

This disqualifies the doctrine of the immaculate conception taught in the RCC. The doctrine that teaches that Mary was born without original sin.
@olaadegbu

The angel said to Mary "Hail full of grace." (Luke 1:28)

How many people in your bible are 'full of grace' before the death and resurrection of Christ?

==================
Let me also suggest, next time you pray, say to Jesus: I love you, but I think your mother is a useless woman.
Don't forget to try this.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:43pm On May 16, 2008
imhotep:

@olaadegbu

The angel said to Mary "Hail full of grace." (Luke 1:28)

How many people in your bible are 'full of grace' before the death and resurrection of Christ?

==================
Let me also suggest, next time you pray, say to Jesus: I love you, but I think your mother is a useless woman.
Don't forget to try this.

You have not addressed the subject in Luke 1:47 As I pointed out this verse disproves the theory of the immaculate conception or the total absence of original sin in Mary as taught in the RCC . If God was her Saviour then she must have been a sinner in order to be saved.

As it is clear that Joseph did not have sexual relations with Mary before Mary conceived, the actual immaculate conception or rather virgin birth took place in Luke 1:35 where the Holy Spirit 'overshadowed' Mary preventing Mary's sinful nature to pass unto that 'Holy thing' who was to be known as the Son of God. Thus, the only begotten of the Father.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by mnwankwo(m): 6:54pm On May 16, 2008
A physical birth is preceeded by a physical procreation. If Jesus the son of God was born physically, then a physical procreation gave rise to his physical body.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 16, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

You have not addressed the subject in Luke 1:47 As I pointed out this verse disproves the theory of the immaculate conception or the total absence of original sin in Mary as taught in the RCC . If God was her Saviour then she must have been a sinner in order to be saved.
If Mary was saved before the Saviour was born, what can you deduce from that?
Think very well before you answer.

OLAADEGBU:

As it is clear that Joseph did not have sexual relations with Mary before Mary conceived, the actual immaculate conception or rather virgin birth took place in Luke 1:35 where the Holy Spirit 'overshadowed' Mary preventing Mary's sinful nature to pass unto that 'Holy thing' who was to be known as the Son of God. Thus, the only begotten of the Father.
the Holy Spirit overshadowed a woman who was already FULL OF GRACE.
Sinfulness connotes a LACK OF GRACE.

======================
Please improve your logic.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:34pm On May 16, 2008
imhotep:

If Mary was saved before the Saviour was born, what can you deduce from that?
Think very well before you answer.

the Holy Spirit overshadowed a woman who was already FULL OF GRACE.
Sinfulness connotes a LACK OF GRACE.

======================
Please improve your logic.

There is no where in the scriptures that says that Mary was saved before the birth of Jesus.  What she said was what is called the 'Magnificat' that is, Mary's song of Praise.  This was similar to what Hannah sang in 1 Sam.2:1-10.  Mary's song recognised that God's work through Jesus fulfilled the promise God made to Abraham (Lk.1:55).  It was a prophetic confirmation of the events that had been given in the Old Testament covenantal contexts.  Mary praised God's acts of exalting the humble and bringing upon the proud and rich (Luke 1:46-56).  In Jesus God had reversed the means of attaining greatness in the world.  Her prophetic utterance brought both confirmation and exultation to the promise of Jesus who would be the Saviour of the world, her included.
Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by Nobody: 10:39pm On May 16, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

There is no where in the scriptures that says that Mary was saved before the birth of Jesus.
Then why did she refer to God as 'My Saviour' 33 years before the death + resurrection of Jesus?
Why did she not refer to God as 'my future Saviour'?

OLAADEGBU:

What she said was what is called the 'Magnificat' that is, Mary's song of Praise. This was similar to what Hannah sang in 1 Sam.2:1-10. Mary's song recognized that God's work through Jesus fulfilled the promise God made to Abraham (Lk.1:55). It was a prophetic confirmation of the events that had been given in the Old Testament covenantal contexts. Mary praised God's acts of exalting the humble and bringing upon the proud and rich (Luke 1:46-56). In Jesus God had reversed the means of attaining greatness in the world. Her prophetic utterance brought both confirmation and exultation to the promise of Jesus who would be the Saviour of the world her included.

These are your very words ==>

OLAADEGBU:

If God was her Saviour then she must have been a sinner in order to be saved.

OLAADEGBU:

In the gospel according to Luke 1:46-47 (King James Version)

46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Re: The Truth About The Catholic Church: And Other Churches: In History by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:59pm On May 16, 2008
imhotep:

Then why did she refer to God as 'My Saviour' 33 years before the death + resurrection of Jesus?
Why did she not refer to God as 'my future Saviour'?

Do you understand the meaning of the word prophecy? Read Zechariah's prophetic utterance that shortly followed after in Luke 1:67-79 concerning what was to come.

Luke 1:67-79 (King James Version)

67 And his father Zacharias was filled with[b] the Holy Ghost, and prophesied[/b], saying,

68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,

69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;

70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:

71 That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us;

72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;

73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham,

74 That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear,

75 In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life.

76 And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;

77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

78 Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,

79 To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why You Should Meditate On God's Words / Word Of GOD Is Light (proverbs 6:21-23) / Happy Birthday Pastor Anita Oyakhilome!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 182
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.