Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,148 members, 7,821,918 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles (16158 Views)

Samuel Eto’o Splashes £18.5m On Ghost House / This Is How The Next Super Eagles Team Should Be / Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by yampoo(m): 8:20pm On Feb 15, 2013
More gifts for the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State on Friday announced a cash gift of N54.5 million to the victorious Super Eagles.

The governor, who hosted the Eagles in his office at Ikeja, gave coach Stephen Keshi N2.5million, while his immediate assistant, Daniel Amokachi, got N2 million.

Each of the other four assistant coaches, including Ike Shorunmu and Sylvanus Okpala got N1.5million each, while the team’s captain, Joseph Yobo, was also given N1.5 million.

Each of the other 22 players was given N1 million while each scorer of the 11 goals scored in the tournament by the team received an additional N500,000.

The governor also captured the backroom staff of the team in the largesse with N15 million, while another N4.5 million was given to the supporters’ club.

Speaking at the occasion, Mr. Fashola said the donation was the state’s ‘token’ appreciation of the team for doing the nation proud in South Africa.

The governor said the team`s feat in South Africa was a unique achievement for Nigerian sports, saying it had brought the country back into reckoning in world football.

Mr. Fashola warned against complacency, urging the team as well as sports administrators to do all they could to build on the current achievement to record more successes.

“Now that we have won the AFCON trophy,the question to ask is what next? We have Kenya to contend with in a few days.

“Let us remind ourselves that Zambia, the immediate defending champions of the tournament, did not make it to the second round.

“We have the Confederation Cup in June that provides us with an opportunity to improve on our performance.

“Yes, we have moved from very abysmal ranking to 4th in Africa and 30th in the world but we must remember that the ranking used to be better because in 1994, we were ranked 5th in the world.

“Really, the job is not done yet, so we must begin to plan ahead and do all the right things to ensure the team performs better,” he said.

The governor canvassed improvement of the local league as well as grassroots football, saying that both had the prospect of impacting on Nigeria`s performance in international competitions.

He also urged sport officials to desist from frequent interference with national teams, especially in the affairs of the coaching crew, saying the practice undermined their successes in competitions.

Members of the Lagos State Executive Council and prominent citizens of the state were among those who received the team at the Government House, Alausa.

The Super Eagles on Sunday defeated Burkina Faso 1-0 at the final of the 2013 Orange Africa Cup of Nations, to emerge African champions.

(NAN)

http://premiumtimesng.com/sports/120536-fashola-splashes-n54-5m-on-super-eagles.html

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by joek(m): 8:28pm On Feb 15, 2013
When will I receive my own share cos am a player too? The diff is that I play my own ball wif my wife on the bed and am a prolific goal scorer.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Tstark(m): 9:24pm On Feb 15, 2013
What budget is all this money coming from ? It's certainly not from his own pocket

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Nobody: 9:25pm On Feb 15, 2013
1st to write.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by 40Lightyears: 9:25pm On Feb 15, 2013
God o, make this gifts reach me na, abeg. shocked shocked
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by ebamma(m): 9:27pm On Feb 15, 2013
If na nigeria be spain were win world cup and euros that mean say them for dash players the whole budget for a year be that oh

9 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by queensmith: 9:27pm On Feb 15, 2013
He shouldn't be allowed to do that. Not with state money. Is it the burden of Lagos state to pay the National Team?

If this story is true then Fashola has disappointed me. I thought he was much smarter than this.

I though players made more money than their managers? Lol then again I do think Keshi is the main man to congratulate for Nigerias success. Considering his abysmal line up actually worked!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by hydeenoble(m): 9:27pm On Feb 15, 2013
next to host d super eagles is Chief Theodore Amaefule Orji of Abia state

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Goldenheart(m): 9:28pm On Feb 15, 2013
Men.....1mills.. too small
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by ebamma(m): 9:28pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dr. Wise:
1st to write.
you are the exact opposite of thy name

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by maywes(m): 9:28pm On Feb 15, 2013
WTF IF DEM COME WIN WORLD CUP, DERE WILL RECEIVE $30m EACH... SUPER EAGLE I DEY JEALOUS OOOOO...... MONEY EVERY WERE...
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Akshow: 9:29pm On Feb 15, 2013
Now this is getting too much. Abeg make them channel all this money to meaningful developmental projects. This governor give them money, that governor give them, GEJ give them Abegi! Call me bad belle i gree but no body happy reach me for our success.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by ferdi4real(m): 9:29pm On Feb 15, 2013
joek: When will I receive my own share cos am a player too? The diff is that I play my own ball wif my wife on the bed and am a prolific goal scorer.
Lolzz....u no well....buh i go lyk watch wer n wen u n ur wife dey ply ball....i fe b referee.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Mayowura: 9:29pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dis one wey governors dey do this and that for super eagles, meanwhile the state they are governing is wack and totally delapidated. Hope say no be the money for state dem dey use? Well e fit be say him get dough well sha.
When EFCC is needed they won't show up not until the deeds has been done and successfully completed before they show up. After some days, they are granted bails.
#STILL A NIGERIAN SHA
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Nobody: 9:30pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dis gifting should stop na
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Swaggababa: 9:31pm On Feb 15, 2013
Why I go school, I for go play football ooooo undecided

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by uncle2010: 9:31pm On Feb 15, 2013
good move My governor....Oya other governors follow now or.... grin grin
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by ebamma(m): 9:31pm On Feb 15, 2013
joek: When will I receive my own share cos am a player too? The diff is that I play my own ball wif my wife on the bed and am a prolific goal scorer.
and with each goal u score your problems increase, #daddy things
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by uncle2010: 9:32pm On Feb 15, 2013
mikeyhernadez: Dis gifting should stop na
Bad belle. E de pain you....go play your own.... cheesy cheesy
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by 9ijaprince(m): 9:33pm On Feb 15, 2013
Tstark: What budget is all this money coming from ? It's certainly not from his own pocket
it could come from security vote.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by ToyinOlufade(m): 9:35pm On Feb 15, 2013
[center][/center]
ebamma: If na nigeria be spain were win world cup and euros that mean say them for dash players the whole budget for a year be that oh
Abi poo! shocked
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by sobastical: 9:36pm On Feb 15, 2013
This is getting too much ooo.... Wetin na
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Symphony007: 9:36pm On Feb 15, 2013
54.5 million on a group of people who has already recieved millions from others. Meanwhile their are many orphanages and charities suffering from low funding and many people hungry on the streets. The super eagles are too greedy to say, we've had enough send the rest to charities in our name and this government is too tone deaf to know how to spend tax payers money well, bunch of plonkers!!

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Ejine(m): 9:36pm On Feb 15, 2013
I'm not directing this post to just Fashola, but other state governments and public parastatals as well.

Wouldn't it be more sensible if they funneled these monies into supporting the sporting facilities of their numerous primary, secondary and tertiary schools?

Almost every high school and university in America has a team, and it is mostly the NCAA system that's responsible for most of the pro athletes who dominate America today.

Why blow all these monies on well-to-do men when you can use them to nurture and encourage our younger generation in the field of sports?

Government bodies should hands-off all this unnecessary 'splashing' and leave that to the private guys like Dangote, Adenuga and his Glo, Elumelu, Jim Ovie etc.

7 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by baby124: 9:37pm On Feb 15, 2013
Very irresponsible of Fashola, if this gift is from LASG coffers. It is not his father's money to give as gift. If it is from his personal account, then no problem. But again, we will ask how he came about such an amount. I am disappointed in Fashola for this. Its very very wrong, and a sign of indiscipline. I hope it is not true.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by andyanders: 9:38pm On Feb 15, 2013
Akshow: Now this is getting too much. Abeg make them channel all this money to meaningful developmental projects. This governor give them money, that governor give them, GEJ give them Abegi! Call me bad belle i gree but no body happy reach me for our success.

Are you enemy of progress? If na your relation or brother is among these players, will you make such a silly statement? Envy is not good. You must be an envious person.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by yampoo(m): 9:38pm On Feb 15, 2013
Dancing Alingo my post hit front page

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by farem: 9:39pm On Feb 15, 2013
Tstark: What budget is all this money coming from ? It's certainly not from his own pocket
[color=#990000]
BASED ON YOUR SUDDEN BACK TO CONSCIOUSNESS, I WANT TO BELIEVE GOODLUCK AND UDUAGHAN MUST HAVE DOLED THOSE MONEY OUT TO EAGLES FROM THEIR PERSONAL POCKETS. OR ELSE YOUR INQUIRY IS AS A RESULT OF ACUTE HALLUCINATION!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by mu2sa2: 9:39pm On Feb 15, 2013
There is a head of expenditure in the budget tagged miscellaneous from which all bogus expenses are taken. The budget may even have a head for gifts and donations. The money allocated for these heads is usually chunky and unaccounted for.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Ejine(m): 9:40pm On Feb 15, 2013
yampoo: Dancing Alingo my post hit front page

I already have 3 trophies (i.e. 3 Frontpage threads) to my name.

I pass you grin
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by slimfit1(m): 9:40pm On Feb 15, 2013
uncle2010: Bad belle. E de pain you....go play your own.... cheesy cheesy

Yah it should stop there are people dying in hospitals this players don't need it watch out what they will do with the money buy jet like Amokachi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wales Vs England: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. (0 - 3) On 29th November 2022 / Heartland Fc Of Imo Enjoys Dana Air Flight Ahead Of Match In Lagos / Ajara Njoya Nchout Joins Atletico Madrid.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.