Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,771 members, 7,817,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles (16154 Views)

Samuel Eto’o Splashes £18.5m On Ghost House / This Is How The Next Super Eagles Team Should Be / Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Inik(m): 9:41pm On Feb 15, 2013
Stephen keshi & his team are rolling in the dough literally shocked
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by ToyinOlufade(m): 9:41pm On Feb 15, 2013
yampoo: More gifts for the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State on Friday announced a cash gift of N54.5 million to the victorious Super Eagles.

The governor, who hosted the Eagles in his office at Ikeja, gave coach Stephen Keshi N2.5million, while his immediate assistant, Daniel Amokachi, got N2 million.

Each of the other four assistant coaches, including Ike Shorunmu and Sylvanus Okpala got N1.5million each, while the team’s captain, Joseph Yobo, was also given N1.5 million.

Oti ga ju!
Each of the other 22 players was given N1 million while each scorer of the 11 goals scored in the tournament by the team received an additional N500,000.

The governor also captured the backroom staff of the team in the largesse with N15 million, while another N4.5 million was given to the supporters’ club.

Speaking at the occasion, Mr. Fashola said the donation was the state’s ‘token’ appreciation of the team for doing the nation proud in South Africa.

The governor said the team`s feat in South Africa was a unique achievement for Nigerian sports, saying it had brought the country back into reckoning in world football.

Mr. Fashola warned against complacency, urging the team as well as sports administrators to do all they could to build on the current achievement to record more successes.

“Now that we have won the AFCON trophy,the question to ask is what next? We have Kenya to contend with in a few days.

“Let us remind ourselves that Zambia, the immediate defending champions of the tournament, did not make it to the second round.

“We have the Confederation Cup in June that provides us with an opportunity to improve on our performance.

“Yes, we have moved from very abysmal ranking to 4th in Africa and 30th in the world but we must remember that the ranking used to be better because in 1994, we were ranked 5th in the world.

“Really, the job is not done yet, so we must begin to plan ahead and do all the right things to ensure the team performs better,” he said.

The governor canvassed improvement of the local league as well as grassroots football, saying that both had the prospect of impacting on Nigeria`s performance in international competitions.

He also urged sport officials to desist from frequent interference with national teams, especially in the affairs of the coaching crew, saying the practice undermined their successes in competitions.

Members of the Lagos State Executive Council and prominent citizens of the state were among those who received the team at the Government House, Alausa.

The Super Eagles on Sunday defeated Burkina Faso 1-0 at the final of the 2013 Orange Africa Cup of Nations, to emerge African champions.

(NAN)

http://premiumtimesng.com/sports/120536-fashola-splashes-n54-5m-on-super-eagles.html
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Dee60: 9:43pm On Feb 15, 2013
With our kind of democrazy, this thing will go round 36 states and FCT. Niger State, Nigeria's poorest, we are waiting for your own 150 million gift splash!!! In the spirit of I better pass my neighbour, please act fast!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by paranorman(m): 9:44pm On Feb 15, 2013
This one wey everybody just dey give "eagles" money, shey i no go change my profession to footballer sha? Anyway, better late than never... They deserve it sha....
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by DonaldGenes(m): 9:45pm On Feb 15, 2013
Tooo much money sha dey worry 9ja...
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Soso990240(m): 9:45pm On Feb 15, 2013
Aahh..hope those boys have handed our $1.5mil and our cup 2 Jona..Lagosians can be dangerous sometimes.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Dee60: 9:47pm On Feb 15, 2013
NIGERIA, spend thrift country. We spend what we have not earned, while wise nations are busy saving money for their future generations. We live for today, like there will not be a tommorow.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by teeebest(m): 9:47pm On Feb 15, 2013
Lagos public schools are short of teachers.education districts conducted interview for new teachers since July 2012 but our dear BRF is yet †̥ sign the list.all on the excuse dat govt can't pay salaries if teachers are employed but we can dole out dat huge sum for our dear national team.God is watching.Eko o ni baje.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by RICHIEBOI1(m): 9:48pm On Feb 15, 2013
baby_123: Very irresponsible of Fashola, if this gift is from LASG coffers. It is not his father's money to give as gift. If it is from his personal account, then no problem. But again, we will ask how he came about such an amount. I am disappointed in Fashola for this. Its very very wrong, and a sign of indiscipline. I hope it is not true.

Well na u get ya mouth sha. If dem no give una go complain, if dem give una go still complain. SMH tongue

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Dee60: 9:48pm On Feb 15, 2013
teeebest: Lagos public schools are short of teachers.education districts conducted interview for new teachers since July 2012 but our dear BRF is yet †̥ sign the list.all on the excuse dat govt can't pay salaries if teachers are employed but we can dole out dat huge sum for our dear national team.God is watching.Eko o ni baje.

Eko ti baje. We are waiting for Labour party to come and carry out the repairs.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by tarryT(m): 9:50pm On Feb 15, 2013
.....all of una wey dey complain say the gifts too much na thunder go fire una left kidneys...if una know how many madmen regain their sanity, blinds wey see, deaf wey hear, etc cos of Super Eagles victory and Gaynians wey dem admit for pyschia house una go shut up... If na to give 100million to boko haram founder family una go clap and call for more negociations... Make una no provoke me o...

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by sammmiey1: 9:51pm On Feb 15, 2013
Where dis money dey ooze 4rmGod elevate me above dis present state wey I dey I beg!!!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by changeagent(m): 9:52pm On Feb 15, 2013
How much is the trophy that our people and government are just showering gifts both in cash and in kind on SE. Look at cost benefit analysis,what has the trophy brought to our economy and how is it increasing the standard of living of our people. Considering the expenses incurred before,during and after the tournament and the prize attached to the trophy,which one is higher? It is not about winning and celebrating the trophy alone but the expenses incurred must be considered also.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by UkwuNnu(m): 9:53pm On Feb 15, 2013
Sure to see @DEMDEM, @DAYOKANU, @GBAWE and other ACN-APC apologists avoid this thread like a leper.
Operation criticize when it is convenient. undecided undecided undecided

@Post.
I wonder when this celebrations will stop, cus its as if every state is trying to out give each other, still wondering when the players will start going back to their respective clubs and concentrate for future challenges before they start getting punished.

On the other hand, i would not blame anybody because if these players can not grab all they could now, that for the first time in a long while they gave the country a reason to celebrate, I wonder when they will get them.
Let them grab as much they can now because Nigerians have very short memories. God forbid if any of these players gets injured playing for this same country tomorrow, he will be abandoned to his fate just like many of them old players that wore the national colours with pride, brought glory to the country but later live or died as paupers.

embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by tonididdy(m): 9:57pm On Feb 15, 2013
Tstark: What budget is all this money coming from ? It's certainly not from his own pocket
sports budget
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by etudaddy(m): 9:57pm On Feb 15, 2013
Nawa oooo. Abeg dis money giving don do na. Ah ah. Na wetin na. Poor people full everywhere na.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Akiika: 9:59pm On Feb 15, 2013
Seriously? this is profligacy. You shouldn't use tax payers money like this, i am disappointed in Governor Fashola. In which part of the budget will this come from? That money can be used to build at least one small clinic in the hinterland of Lagos. This is bad judgement. No issues with rewarding our heroes,the federal Govt' and private businessmen have been doing that. Now all the other m.umu Governors will all do the same thinking that is such a great thing to do. Yet jobless Nigerians are suffering.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by SamMilla1(m): 9:59pm On Feb 15, 2013
This is the most useless govt i have known in my life.
Federal govt gave them money and you idiiiotiiic state govt gave them money from the federal allocation. How did i become a Nigerian?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Cornel88(m): 10:01pm On Feb 15, 2013
This boys them done they use this cup dey beg money with style from state to state. Make them no just reach Imo state o.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by topeantony(m): 10:02pm On Feb 15, 2013
At ikeja today i saw the super eagles convoy on their way to Alausa at first i thought its the governor coming because the noise and the security no be small [s]if i know say them go share money for there i for follow go collect my own[/s]

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by jayonpoint(m): 10:02pm On Feb 15, 2013
Nigeria is failed state! If we have these much money to throw around, why are we so poor and not a prove of our wealth as a nation? I'm sad for dis country or dis project called Nigeria; I mean who amongst us feels there's a presence of govt or a reason to feels we hv govt? Is dis hw governance work around d world? See evidence of too much money via supereagles! Can all of us play football to earn dis too much gestures? Our govt are just too wicked to us. While they're swift to decision making wen anything affects dem bt they're too economical wen they affect us. Are we in a democracy? Mind if I ask, are we handicap as citizens? Its nt abt just sit @1 corner of our house making comments n typing msgs from one social network to d other, we hv got to stand to d occasion..we deserve d best as citizens of d country n we'll start nw or after another 100yrs
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Nobody: 10:03pm On Feb 15, 2013
I wonder if we will ever splash money on Education and research! The earlier we as a people start thinking about how to improve our lives, planet and well being through science and the arts the better it will be. Nigeria's problem is evident....solutions however conceived, seems far reaching.....

1 Like

Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by ldpele(m): 10:03pm On Feb 15, 2013
Ejiné: I'm not directing this post to just Fashola, but other state governments and public parastatals as well.

Wouldn't it be more sensible if they funneled these monies into supporting the sporting facilities of their numerous primary, secondary and tertiary schools?

Almost every high school and university in America has a team, and it is mostly the NCAA system that's responsible for most of the pro athletes who dominate America today.

Why blow all these monies on well-to-do men when you can use them to nurture and encourage our younger generation in the field of sports?

Government bodies should hands-off all this unnecessary 'splashing' and leave that to the private guys like Dangote, Adenuga and his Glo, Elumelu, Jim Ovie etc.
are times,i get so disappointed wit sme comments,if the government doesnt reward them,same persons like u ll complain and if they do like d lagos state gov jst did,u jst complaind n that is by d way,aftr rewardn,will it stop d state government frm buildn those sport amenities u mentiond,hell No,it wont. however,u were mentn sponsors,u could av added your name,or are the people u mentioned aint nigerians like u? rubbish
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Akshow: 10:04pm On Feb 15, 2013
andyanders:

Are you enemy of progress? If na your relation or brother is among these players, will you make such a silly statement? Envy is not good. You must be an envious person.
kindly Shut da f up. Thanks
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by tonididdy(m): 10:04pm On Feb 15, 2013
but on a serious note oh...this giftings is going too far.next now na portharcourt,then calabar then abia state...well too much money aint enough money...personally i think these boys are over pampered.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by tonididdy(m): 10:09pm On Feb 15, 2013
jay_onpoint: Nigeria is failed state! If we have these much money to throw around, why are we so poor and not a prove of our wealth as a nation? I'm sad for dis country or dis project called Nigeria; I mean who amongst us feels there's a presence of govt or a reason to feels we hv govt? Is dis hw governance work around d world? See evidence of too much money via supereagles! Can all of us play football to earn dis too much gestures? Our govt are just too wicked to us. While they're swift to decision making wen anything affects dem bt they're too economical wen they affect us. Are we in a democracy? Mind if I ask, are we handicap as citizens? Its nt abt just sit @1 corner of our house making comments n typing msgs from one social network to d other, we hv got to stand to d occasion..we deserve d best as citizens of d country n we'll start nw or after another 100yrs
too much grammar oga...fight your way to the top.if u were keshi,would u turn down all this money.naija get money tink of how to chop from em.Stop whinning
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by tarryT(m): 10:12pm On Feb 15, 2013
changeagent: How much is the trophy that our people and government are just showering gifts both in cash and in kind on SE. Look at cost benefit analysis,what has the trophy brought to our economy and how is it increasing the standard of living of our people. Considering the expenses incurred before,during and after the tournament and the prize attached to the trophy,which one is higher? It is not about winning and celebrating the trophy alone but the expenses incurred must be considered also.
....How can u compare the joy the victory brought to millions of us to the "expences"....? How can u compare the rare feeling of unity to the "expences"?.. Na people like u na him we dey call "aradite"..
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by Adaeze003(f): 10:13pm On Feb 15, 2013
But really, its getting too much... I'm sure they're not so trilled anymore. Much more people need that money! Nigeria won't automatically transform just because we won the afcon...
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by tolex34(m): 10:14pm On Feb 15, 2013
They are paying them for the next 19years. LOLz
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by theripper2: 10:14pm On Feb 15, 2013
This munificence don dey too much o. At dis rate, governors go take am as competition to out-do one anoda. It haff do o.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by nduchucks: 10:17pm On Feb 15, 2013
I'm a bit disappointed. The said N55million would have been enough to retrained at least a few thousand displaced Okada riders.
Re: Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles by farem: 10:19pm On Feb 15, 2013
Sam Milla: This is the most useless govt i have known in my life.
Federal govt gave them money and you idiiiotiiic state govt gave them money from the federal allocation. How did i become a Nigerian?
[color=#990000]
VERY IDIOTIC AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BELIEVE BASED ON YOUR POOR REASONING AND DEMENTED POSTURE. Where does the Fg derive its power to give gift to football club? If Lagos is the most useless govt, what would you call Delta govt that got 'so serious' that it was holdin valentine night for eagles. Can you enlighten us all with the reference to where there provisions were made in 2013 budget. YOUR PRODIGAL PRESIDENT/FG WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND SIMPLE FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING IS SPENDING MILLIONS ON EAGLES AND BILLIONS ON FIRST LADIES SECRETARIAT WITHOUT BUDGET IN PLACE (with 20% of the year almost gone) AND YOU HAVE GUT TO ATTACK A STATE WITH OPERATING BUDGET. Pls say something else.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Leicester Target Nigeria’s Ahmed Musa For Next Season / Ajara Njoya Nchout Joins Atletico Madrid. / Russia 2018: Gernot Rohr Arrives Moscow Ahead Of Friday’s Wold Cup Draws

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.