Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,524 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property (6371 Views)

Pastor Oritsejafor Drags Fashola To Court Over Planned Demolition Of Church / Pope Benedict To Resign / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by MostHigh: 12:26pm On Feb 22, 2013
fluid26: Matthew 16:18

''And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.''

The Pope is the Vicar of Christ. And in that context, he is deemed infallible...even in the face of glaring errors. Leave church leadership for it's appointed leaders. Don't align yourself with those who make attempt at ridiculing the church, lest you declare yourself an enemy of Christ.

FLUID26 CONTRARY TO THE INTERPRETATION YOU HAVE GIVEN PLEASE OBSERVE THAT

1.WE CAN CONFIRM FROM SCRIPTURE PETER WAS ACCOUNTABLE AND NOT INFALLIBLE SO WHERE DO YOU AND YOUR BRETHREN GETS THIS LOGIC FROM

2. THE TRANSLITERATION FOR THE WORDS PETRA AND PETROS IN THE VERSE YOU QUOTED WETHER IN GREEK OR ARAMAIC REFER TO 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS, ONE BEING MASCULINE AND THE OTHER FEMININE.

3. IN 1PETER 2:4-9 THE APOSTLE CONSTANLY REFERS TO YASHUA AS THE STONE UPON WHICH THE CHURCH IS BUILT (1ST CONTRADICTION)

4. IN THE GOSPEL OF MATHEW CHAPTER 19:28 WE CAN CLEARLY SEE THAT ALL THE APOSTLES SHARED EQUAL DESCIPLESHIP UNDER CHRIST AND NOT PETER. 12 THRONES 12 ELDERS OVER ISREAL WITH YASHUA ON TOP

5. AND FINALLY EVEN IF ONE WAS TO PERCIVE A SENSE OF ONE APOSTLE SPEAKING FOR ALL IN JUDGMENT JAMES THE JUST WOULD BE THEM MAN. PLEASE NOTE ACTS 15:19 (MY SENTENCE IS THUS)

LIKE I HAVE SAID BEFORE YASHUA HAS NO VICE (VICAR) OR SSISTANT AND NONE OF HIS APOSTLES EVER CLAIMED THIS TITLE

AND ANYONE THAT CLAIMS TO BE SUCH IS THE LAWLESS MAN (SATAN)

PEACE LOVE AND JOY!!
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by MostHigh: 12:45pm On Feb 22, 2013
ALSO THIS INFALABLE FAIRY TALE WAS SUCCESSFULLY DISCREDITED BY THE REFORMATION, IN REALITY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS THE HARLOT OF REVELATIONS 17 (SHE SITS ON SEVEN HILLS AND RULED THE DARK AGES 1260 YRS OF PAPAL OPRESSION)UNTIL NAPOLEONE BONAPART

13 CRUSADES MILLIONS DEAD (IS THIS YASHUAS WAY?)
THE INQUISITIONS MILIIONS DEAD PLUS SYSTEMATIC GENOCIDE (IS THIS PETERS WAY?)

THE OFFICE OF THE POPE REPRESENTS THE FALSE PROPHET ON EARTH

SOON JUST AS PROPHESISED THE FALSE PROPHET SHALL HAND OVER ALL POWER TO THE POLITICIANS (THIS IS WHAT WE ARE SEEING NOW (A SYSTEMATIC DISCREDITING AND DESTRUCTION OF CHRISTIANITY AS WE KNOW IT.

PEACE LOVE AND JOY!!

SO THAT THE BEAST IS WORSHIPED AS ALL IN ALL.

1 Like

Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 1:13pm On Feb 22, 2013
wiegraf:
I give you the case of Assange. Even many americans are screaming bloody murder at the attempts to extradite him, on what grounds do the US govt want him? Really, on what possible grounds could they prosecute him were he to show up on their shores? He's just a publisher, freedom of speech. Is the publisher responsible for the actions of the whistleblower? No. Even worse, he isn't even American, he isn't bound to their laws. However, in this case, they could charge him as a spy, as he seemingly encouraged bradley manning to perform treason. It seems he was actively involved in the process of acquiring the documents, encouraging manning to go through with it rather than just publishing. Likewise, Ratzinger seems to have been actively involved in cover ups. He may not have broken a law in his own country but he did so in many, many others, including EU ones. They have every right to prosecute him should he show up in one of these countries where he broke laws. They also have the right attempt to extradite him, etc him. Yes? It's then left to the diplomats and governments to haggle.
i really donot wish to say one uncharitable word to u but seriously, did u just compare d assange case to d child abuse case? And incase u arent aware d u.s hasnt even exadited assange for espionage! And they havent even issue an arrest warrant on espionage! It seems u havent been following d news, assange has not been charge with espionage, he was charged with sexual assualt! So my dear, u comparism doesnt even help ur arguement! And ratzinger hasnt even broken any law, because d law of a foriegn state doesnt apply to him!
He may be the law in his country, he certainly isn't in others.
if he isnt a citizen of d said country, then d countries laws dont apply to him. Learn a little about law, not to talk of the fact that a coverup cant be proved.
So could he if he, they're superior, was aware of the happenings and did not report them or even worse, encouraged or ordered them.
pls dont make me call u dumb! The direct superior to d priest is d bishop just as d direct superior of a teacher is d principal not d minister of education.
They do seem to be so, even if you removed direct contact. Did he instruct the Bishops hide these offenses? Did he order they just be reassigned rather than their being prosecuted?
he didnt order any of d above!
Consider this case
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_abuse_scandal_in_Catholic_archdiocese_of_Milwaukee
i'm well aware of the father muphy case my dear, his case stated 20yrs after d crime dat means d statues of limation of both civil law and church law had expired! The police was told but they couldnt do anything becos of d stat of limitation, even at dat d diocese decided to pursue d case in a ecclesiatical court. b4 muphy was asked d very 1st question he was seriously ill on his sick bed which later became his death bed, he was already very elderly, by d time his trial started he appealed to rome specifically to d congregation of doctrine of d faith. Though d church court wanted to overlook d stat of limitation his ill health couldnt be overlooked.
If u are anyway learned in d proceeding of civil law u will know dat serious illness esp permanent is good ground to stall and/or end a legal procedure. Muphy's illness made it imposible 4 him to be dragged to and from d ecclesiatical court, so d cdf case ruled dat his case b kept in d freezer till he recovered. As u may know he never recovered, his sick bed was his deathbed.
Despite d fact that muphy couldnt be civilly or ecclesiatically prosecuted d cdf made sure dat till he could recover to face trial (which he never did), he was under censure and was prohibited from pastorial activities, which means he couldnt excercise any priestly function and couldnt see no children.
In that case there was no foul play.
On another note, rather bizaarly, clergy are still not mandated to report child abuse cases everywhere, only in countries where it is illegal to not report them. Seems like they are willing to do anything possible to keep this hush hush. Na wah...
actually my dear a communist state like nth korea and islamic state like saudi arabia will kill u just 4 been a xtian. Reporting anyone in such interesting cases means death for both d 'reporter' and d 'reported'. So yeah, i'm sure bishops in those countries will b happy to remain alive while doing d moral thing. Interestingly countries in america, europe and africa have law making it illegal not to report.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 1:27pm On Feb 22, 2013
ijawkid:
So the pope now becomes the leader of an independent state??...is that what peter was??....let's not go there sha.......
learn d difference btw alteration and development. My dear d pope been d president of an independent state doesnt transgres any biblical law and as scripture tell me, u cant be accused of sin when u broke no law.

If the pope has got so much immunity so as not to be free for arrest then I think something is really wrong........has he now become a political ruler or just a servant of Christ??...........this scenario is worse than that of the G.O's in nigeria who walk about with armed security men..........I can't believe that the pope is above the law..........cheesy.......
tell this to hague.

If the pope is found wanting of some crimes let him be arrested and tried............chikena.....
hahaha, i dont even know any country that said "the pope is found wanting for some crime" until there is dis discussion is fruitless.
And since u are so anxious abt this pope thing, i think i can tell u a way to arrest d pope, get ur troops and bombard d vatican (d vatican doesnt have army), and arrest him. Napoleon did d same, only he did it 4 political reasons, mayb u can achieve similar fit.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 1:28pm On Feb 22, 2013
ijawkid:

So the pope now becomes the leader of an independent state??...is that what peter was??....let's not go there sha.......

If the pope has got so much immunity so as not to be free for arrest then I think something is really wrong........has he now become a political ruler or just a servant of Christ??...........this scenario is worse than that of the G.O's in nigeria who walk about with armed security men..........I can't believe that the pope is above the law..........cheesy.......

If the pope is found wanting of some crimes let him be arrested and tried............chikena.....
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 1:35pm On Feb 22, 2013
Evil Brain: Omar Al Basheer is a serving head if state and yet he has an arrest warrant on hisbhead. The moment he sets foot in any sensible, law-abiding country he's going to be arrested and flown to the Hague. I don't see why the pope should be any different.
Nobody is above the law. Let him defend himself in court.
yes omar has an arrest warrant, and incase u didnt notice it wasnt from d EU becos d eu doesnt have d power, nor is it from a european state, they cant either, d warrant has to come from the ICC, to arrest a sitting pope that is what u need, an arrest warrant from hague. That is why d original post of this thread sounds stupid, because d eu cant issue arrest warrant 4 d pope.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 1:40pm On Feb 22, 2013
Lovethywilbedon: Honestly with this you have not made any point. Why are you becoming too emotional? If you get tired, why don't you go and have a break and take some Kit Kat. If you become angry, why don't go and hug a nearby Transfomer ? Besides you have not answered my questions. If you can't answer my question, why don't you stop qouting my comment. For the last time let me repeat my questions. A priest is not above the law, we both agree on this. Now if a priest molested someone and the victim reported to the police, what stops the police from arresting the priest? Are you expecting the Bishop to take handcuffs and AK47 to go and arrest the priest? (thereby doing the work of the Police) or are you expecting him to go and report a Crime he did not witness?(thereby repeating the work of the victim). Finaly by not doing the work of the police or repeating the work of the Victim, how is he covering up the case? Please just answer my questions and stop manifesting your FRUSTRATIONS.
an interesting point, d person who is suppost to report d case to d police in d FRIST instance is d victim, not d vatican, asking d bishop to also report d case is simply fulfilling all righteousness.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 1:43pm On Feb 22, 2013
I saw this coming.
plaetton:
Still yapping like a drunken parrot.
Are you for real?
I just can't believe you guys.
I thought religion was supposed to be about the refinement of one's soul.
How are you so soulless?
Do you really understand the issues involved in these molestation cases or you just too eager to show off your ignorance and bellicosity?
Your arguments are sooooo infantile, that I dont know whether to laugh at your ignorance or cry for your lack of empathy for the young victims of these heinous crimes.

Please read your own post again and again, and see if a little common sense may strike you, even if by accident.

Are you completely ignorant of the fact that these victims were children and adolescents?
Young Children, some of whom were in orphanages and group homes under the stewardship of these priests?
Do you understand the respect,power and awe that a priest enjoys from his parishioners, especially the young?
Do you, at all, have any understanding of the psychology and trauma of se.xual abuse by authority figures?

So, in your wicked and perverse catholic mind, you think it is the duty of the child victims of the se.xual molestation to report the matters to the police, and not bishops or church authorities?

YOU are F*****ing Stu.pi.d.
.. and probably a child molester yourself.
dis brings me to d next point, since u think it is a bit hard for d victims to report d case, how do u expect d church to even know about it?
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 1:52pm On Feb 22, 2013
plaetton:
C'mon man.
You guys are seriously out of touch with reality.
Can you not see that most of the victims only had the courage to come forward and speak up in their adulthood, after several decades?.
Do you know what it take for an adult to sum up courage to open up about sexual abuse , talk less of children?
Even the victims of ordinary rape and sexual abuse cases hardly have enough courage to report to their families, talk less of a young adolescent parishioner reporting to his parents or the police that he just had bottom intimacy with his highly respected and reverend priest.
Do you know the guilt, shame, fear, confusion and trauma accompanies such evil?
What kind of perverse la la land are you guys living in?.
Next thing you, will be telling us that it was consentual, or that the youths seduced or tempted your holy priests.
Like I said before, all of you should shut up in shame and stop doing more damage to your so-called hallowed institution.
Let the spin pros do their diplomatic face-saving and fence mending with the public.
You guys are bringing more embarrassment to the catholic church.
i think u have successfully argued for and against urself. First you said d catholic church and card. Joseph to b specific covered up cases. Then u go futher to argue that before such case could be reported d victim must have reach adulthood, d last time i check 10yrs is d civil stat of limitation 4 child abuse (do correct me if i'm wrong), so how do u legally prosecute such case?
If d said adult can write to d bishop, he can write to d police too! This really makes d case complicated.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 1:55pm On Feb 22, 2013
kmcutez: The catholic church is an evil and criminal organization and should be disbanded. Bunch of p.edophiles, abusing innocent children.

All their priests, including the pope should be rounded up and placed in maximum security prison, and they should be given out free to other prisoners with large diicks to be b.utt fuucked daily.
the anti catholics, what shuld happen to protestant churches? I hear some of their pastors are as guilty as some catholic priest.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 1:58pm On Feb 22, 2013
kmcutez:

You my friend are a paedophile supporting your fellow paedophiles priests. Catholic priests my foot. I'm sure one of the requirements to being a pope and a priest is the ability to be able to f.uuck little boys and male babies. Mumu catholic.
i find ur choice not to use ur reasoning faculty funny.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by wiegraf: 2:00pm On Feb 22, 2013
Ubenedictus: i really donot wish to say one uncharitable word to u but seriously, did u just compare d assange case to d child abuse case? And incase u arent aware d u.s hasnt even exadited assange for espionage! And they havent even issue an arrest warrant on espionage! It seems u havent been following d news, assange has not been charge with espionage, he was charged with sexual assualt! So my dear, u comparism doesnt even help ur arguement! And ratzinger hasnt even broken any law, because d law of a foriegn state doesnt apply to him!
Brah, feel free to call me dumb. My reaction though, I doubt you would like. Sounds to me like being cornered, you now want to start throwing insults. I'm sort of a semi-pro there, so please, indulge me. I will attempt to remain level headed for now...

It is very, VERY comparable to the Assange case, and I never said they were using espionage as an excuse to extradite him. I said if they did get their hands on him, they could charge him as a spy. FFS it is not even US that is charging him last I checked, it was sweden. Diplomats, scheming, etc. The fear being if he lands in sweden, US can then use whatever agreements they have with sweden to dig him up, extraditing him from there and then charging him. Last I checked, he wasn't even on british soil out of fear, he was in an embassy where they had no access to him. Once he sets foot on british soil though, it's off to sweden then who knows where? Same would apply to your pope if he's charged. If the countries involved have extradition laws and he just happens to set foot in one of them then it's chains for him. This is very basic stuff. Do you understand now?

Ubenedictus:
if he isnt a citizen of d said country, then d countries laws dont apply to him. Learn a little about law, not to talk of the fact that a coverup cant be proved.

Interesting genius, excellent knowledge of the law. I'm learning quite a lot from you atm. So you're telling me only Nigerians are in Nigerian prisons. Only americans in american prisons, I believe. Do you think before you post at all.

Ubenedictus:
pls dont make me call u dumb! The direct superior to d priest is d bishop just as d direct superior of a teacher is d principal not d minister of education.

Yes, you have this godfather thing going on, I noticed. If the minister of education ordered the principal to ignore one of his teacher's ra.ping a few kids, destroy evidence or even ra.pe a few kids, trust me, the minister of education would be culpable. Do you understand now?

Ubenedictus:
he didnt order any of d above!
i'm well aware of the father muphy case my dear, his case stated 20yrs after d crime dat means d statues of limation of both civil law and church law had expired! The police was told but they couldnt do anything becos of d stat of limitation, even at dat d diocese decided to pursue d case in a ecclesiatical court. b4 muphy was asked d very 1st question he was seriously ill on his sick bed which later became his death bed, he was already very elderly, by d time his trial started he appealed to rome specifically to d congregation of doctrine of d faith. Though d church court wanted to overlook d stat of limitation his ill health couldnt be overlooked

If u are anyway learned in d proceeding of civil law u will know dat serious illness esp permanent is good ground to stall and/or end a legal procedure. Muphy's illness made it imposible 4 him to be dragged to and from d ecclesiatical court, so d cdf case ruled dat his case b kept in d freezer till he recovered. As u may know he never recovered, his sick bed was his deathbed.
Despite d fact that muphy couldnt be civilly or ecclesiatically prosecuted d cdf made sure dat till he could recover to face trial (which he never did), he was under censure and was prohibited from pastorial activities, which means he couldnt excercise any priestly function and couldnt see no children.
In that case there was no foul play. .

Brah, he didn't order the above, yet he had to invoke the statue of limitations? There was no case to try, yet the had to invoke the statue of limitations?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/world/europe/25vatican.html?hp&_r=0

Don't worry, I'll post the full article here, and you can tell me if it merits an investigation. Statue of limitations is about the only thing you may have going for you, but really, that's what you want to cling to? Interesting. (on another note, do you care at all with regards to his guilt or not? do you know how slavish that sounds? he can do no wrong, hmmm?)

Ubenedictus:
actually my dear a communist state like nth korea and islamic state like saudi arabia will kill u just 4 been a xtian. Reporting anyone in such interesting cases means death for both d 'reporter' and d 'reported'. So yeah, i'm sure bishops in those countries will b happy to remain alive while doing d moral thing. Interestingly countries in america, europe and africa have law making it illegal not to report.

And now you're comparing child abuse and conspiracies to blatant abuses to human rights. That, many would say, is really sick. Perverted, really.

You're comparing situations where one is a victim to those where one is the aggressor. You compare someone rap.ing little boys, or covering it up, to someone getting his personal freedoms infringed on?

I'm not even sure what to say with this, I'll be back to deal with this folly, for sure...
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 2:01pm On Feb 22, 2013
kmcutez:
Yes I said all of them. Some priests sodomize little boys and male babies and the remaining priests cheer them on. I'm sure all of them priests go to the vatican several times a year to review techniques on how best they can sodomize little boys and male babies. The authorities should look for pamphlets printed by the catholic church and the pope, on how best to abuse little boys and male babies and ways and techniques in keeping their victims quiet. There is their evidence.

Bunch of paedophilic bastards.
really? Are u 4 real? And point of correction, there is hardly a priest in nigeria that visit rome several times a year, many priest have never been to rome and those who have had it as a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by wiegraf: 2:03pm On Feb 22, 2013
new york times:
Top Vatican officials — including the future Pope Benedict XVI — did not defrock a priest who molested as many as 200 deaf boys, even though several American bishops repeatedly warned them that failure to act on the matter could embarrass the church, according to church files newly unearthed as part of a lawsuit.

Arthur Budzinski, at a cemetery behind St. John's School for the Deaf, says he was first molested in 1960 when he went to Father Murphy for confession.

The internal correspondence from bishops in Wisconsin directly to Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the future pope, shows that while church officials tussled over whether the priest should be dismissed, their highest priority was protecting the church from scandal.

The documents emerge as Pope Benedict is facing other accusations that he and direct subordinates often did not alert civilian authorities or discipline priests involved in sexual abuse when he served as an archbishop in Germany and as the Vatican’s chief doctrinal enforcer.

The Wisconsin case involved an American priest, the Rev. Lawrence C. Murphy, who worked at a renowned school for deaf children from 1950 to 1974. But it is only one of thousands of cases forwarded over decades by bishops to the Vatican office called the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, led from 1981 to 2005 by Cardinal Ratzinger. It is still the office that decides whether accused priests should be given full canonical trials and defrocked.

In 1996, Cardinal Ratzinger failed to respond to two letters about the case from Rembert G. Weakland, Milwaukee’s archbishop at the time. After eight months, the second in command at the doctrinal office, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, now the Vatican’s secretary of state, instructed the Wisconsin bishops to begin a secret canonical trial that could lead to Father Murphy’s dismissal.

But Cardinal Bertone halted the process after Father Murphy personally wrote to Cardinal Ratzinger protesting that he should not be put on trial because he had already repented and was in poor health and that the case was beyond the church’s own statute of limitations.

“I simply want to live out the time that I have left in the dignity of my priesthood,” Father Murphy wrote near the end of his life to Cardinal Ratzinger. “I ask your kind assistance in this matter.” The files contain no response from Cardinal Ratzinger.

The New York Times obtained the documents, which the church fought to keep secret, from Jeff Anderson and Mike Finnegan, the lawyers for five men who have brought four lawsuits against the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. The documents include letters between bishops and the Vatican, victims’ affidavits, the handwritten notes of an expert on sexual disorders who interviewed Father Murphy and minutes of a final meeting on the case at the Vatican.

Father Murphy not only was never tried or disciplined by the church’s own justice system, but also got a pass from the police and prosecutors who ignored reports from his victims, according to the documents and interviews with victims. Three successive archbishops in Wisconsin were told that Father Murphy was sexually abusing children, the documents show, but never reported it to criminal or civil authorities.

Instead of being disciplined, Father Murphy was quietly moved by Archbishop William E. Cousins of Milwaukee to the Diocese of Superior in northern Wisconsin in 1974, where he spent his last 24 years working freely with children in parishes, schools and, as one lawsuit charges, a juvenile detention center. He died in 1998, still a priest.

Even as the pope himself in a recent letter to Irish Catholics has emphasized the need to cooperate with civil justice in abuse cases, the correspondence seems to indicate that the Vatican’s insistence on secrecy has often impeded such cooperation. At the same time, the officials’ reluctance to defrock a sex abuser shows that on a doctrinal level, the Vatican has tended to view the matter in terms of sin and repentance more than crime and punishment.

The Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, was shown the documents and was asked to respond to questions about the case. He provided a statement saying that Father Murphy had certainly violated “particularly vulnerable” children and the law, and that it was a “tragic case.” But he pointed out that the Vatican was not forwarded the case until 1996, years after civil authorities had investigated the case and dropped it.

Father Lombardi emphasized that neither the Code of Canon Law nor the Vatican norms issued in 1962, which instruct bishops to conduct canonical investigations and trials in secret, prohibited church officials from reporting child abuse to civil authorities. He did not address why that had never happened in this case.

As to why Father Murphy was never defrocked, he said that “the Code of Canon Law does not envision automatic penalties.” He said that Father Murphy’s poor health and the lack of more recent accusations against him were factors in the decision.

The Vatican’s inaction is not unusual. Only 20 percent of the 3,000 accused priests whose cases went to the church’s doctrinal office between 2001 and 2010 were given full church trials, and only some of those were defrocked, according to a recent interview in an Italian newspaper with Msgr. Charles J. Scicluna, the chief internal prosecutor at that office. An additional 10 percent were defrocked immediately. Ten percent left voluntarily. But a majority — 60 percent — faced other “administrative and disciplinary provisions,” Monsignor Scicluna said, like being prohibited from celebrating Mass.

To many, Father Murphy appeared to be a saint: a hearing man gifted at communicating in American Sign Language and an effective fund-raiser for deaf causes. A priest of the Milwaukee Archdiocese, he started as a teacher at St. John’s School for the Deaf, in St. Francis, in 1950. He was promoted to run the school in 1963 even though students had disclosed to church officials in the 1950s that he was a predator.

Victims give similar accounts of Father Murphy’s pulling down their pants and touching them in his office, his car, his mother’s country house, on class excursions and fund-raising trips and in their dormitory beds at night. Arthur Budzinski said he was first molested when he went to Father Murphy for confession when he was about 12, in 1960.

“If he was a real mean guy, I would have stayed away,” said Mr. Budzinski, now 61, who worked for years as a journeyman printer. “But he was so friendly, and so nice and understanding. I knew he was wrong, but I couldn’t really believe it.”

Mr. Budzinski and a group of other deaf former students spent more than 30 years trying to raise the alarm, including passing out leaflets outside the Milwaukee cathedral. Mr. Budzinski’s friend Gary Smith said in an interview that Father Murphy molested him 50 or 60 times, starting at age 12. By the time he graduated from high school at St. John’s, Mr. Smith said, “I was a very, very angry man.”

In 1993, with complaints about Father Murphy landing on his desk, Archbishop Weakland hired a social worker specializing in treating sexual offenders to evaluate him. After four days of interviews, the social worker said that Father Murphy had admitted his acts, had probably molested about 200 boys and felt no remorse.

However, it was not until 1996 that Archbishop Weakland tried to have Father Murphy defrocked. The reason, he wrote to Cardinal Ratzinger, was to defuse the anger among the deaf and restore their trust in the church. He wrote that since he had become aware that “solicitation in the confessional might be part of the situation,” the case belonged at the doctrinal office.

With no response from Cardinal Ratzinger, Archbishop Weakland wrote a different Vatican office in March 1997 saying the matter was urgent because a lawyer was preparing to sue, the case could become public and “true scandal in the future seems very possible.”

Recently some bishops have argued that the 1962 norms dictating secret disciplinary procedures have long fallen out of use. But it is clear from these documents that in 1997, they were still in force.

But the effort to dismiss Father Murphy came to a sudden halt after the priest appealed to Cardinal Ratzinger for leniency.

In an interview, Archbishop Weakland said that he recalled a final meeting at the Vatican in May 1998 in which he failed to persuade Cardinal Bertone and other doctrinal officials to grant a canonical trial to defrock Father Murphy. (In 2002, Archbishop Weakland resigned after it became public that he had an affair with a man and used church money to pay him a settlement.)

Archbishop Weakland said this week in an interview, “The evidence was so complete, and so extensive that I thought he should be reduced to the lay state, and also that that would bring a certain amount of peace in the deaf community.”

Father Murphy died four months later at age 72 and was buried in his priestly vestments. Archbishop Weakland wrote a last letter to Cardinal Bertone explaining his regret that Father Murphy’s family had disobeyed the archbishop’s instructions that the funeral be small and private, and the coffin kept closed.

“In spite of these difficulties,” Archbishop Weakland wrote, “we are still hoping we can avoid undue publicity that would be negative toward the church.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/world/europe/25vatican.html?hp&_r=0
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 2:11pm On Feb 22, 2013
MostHigh:
WHAT ABOUT THE BILLIONS PAYED OUT TO VICTIMS IN COURTS IN IRELAND AMERICA AND AUSTRALIA IS THIS ALSO FABRICATION
SINCE THIS ISSUE IS ADDRESSING A PARTICULAR FAITH (ONE CLOTH) ITS EITHER A QUESTION OF BEING COMPLICIT OR OF YOU CONFESSING THE CRIMES ARE HEDIOUSE AND THE VICTIMS DESERVE JUSTICE (MINUS THE CASH BENEFITS).
THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND.
ALL ELSE NA JUST LONG TALK
PEACE LOVE AND JOY!!
my friend, i dont know what u are after, but no one here said molesting a child isnt a shameful crime that deserves justice, i think d question is how d justice is applied.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 2:15pm On Feb 22, 2013
MostHigh:

KEEP ON JUSTIFYING RITIUALISTIC SEX ABUSE AND TORTURE

sum1 asked a question, and dis is ur reply?
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 2:18pm On Feb 22, 2013
wiegraf:

No, they aren't. They've at least sued as many as they could catch. That's the point, there may be bigger fish here to fry, culpable, but because religion is involved it seems they may be above the law.

Main issue here to investigate, just like with any other organization: WAS THERE A CONSPIRACY?

Edits
conspiracy huh? The theory posted in d op has proved false and u need a new conspiracy theory, Goodluck.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by wiegraf: 2:23pm On Feb 22, 2013
Ubenedictus: conspiracy huh? The theory posted in d op has proved false and u need a new conspiracy theory, Goodluck.

Is that all you got from that? And like I already stated, I'm not arguing for the op. Your blind, slavish desire to defend the church seems to be getting in the way.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 2:24pm On Feb 22, 2013
''And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.''
The Pope is the Vicar of Christ. And in that context, he is deemed infallible...even in the face of glaring errors. Leave church leadership for it's appointed leaders. Don't align yourself with those who make attempt at ridiculing the church, lest you declare yourself an enemy of Christ.
sacasm
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 2:41pm On Feb 22, 2013
MostHigh:
FLUID26 CONTRARY TO THE INTERPRETATION YOU HAVE GIVEN PLEASE OBSERVE THAT
1.WE CAN CONFIRM FROM SCRIPTURE PETER WAS ACCOUNTABLE AND NOT INFALLIBLE SO WHERE DO YOU AND YOUR BRETHREN GETS THIS LOGIC FROM
first, what do u even undastand by infallibility.

2. THE TRANSLITERATION FOR THE WORDS PETRA AND PETROS IN THE VERSE YOU QUOTED WETHER IN GREEK OR ARAMAIC REFER TO 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS, ONE BEING MASCULINE AND THE OTHER FEMININE.
actually u missed d point of d transliteration

3. IN 1PETER 2:4-9 THE APOSTLE CONSTANLY REFERS TO YASHUA AS THE STONE UPON WHICH THE CHURCH IS BUILT (1ST CONTRADICTION)
and d bible say Jesus d has d keys of d kingdon and also say peter was given d keys. There is no contradiction unless u are looking 4 one.

4. IN THE GOSPEL OF MATHEW CHAPTER 19:28 WE CAN CLEARLY SEE THAT ALL THE APOSTLES SHARED EQUAL DESCIPLESHIP UNDER CHRIST AND NOT PETER. 12 THRONES 12 ELDERS OVER ISREAL WITH YASHUA ON TOP
and yet d bible only records dat one, just one apostle is given d keys of d kingdom.

5. AND FINALLY EVEN IF ONE WAS TO PERCIVE A SENSE OF ONE APOSTLE SPEAKING FOR ALL IN JUDGMENT JAMES THE JUST WOULD BE THEM MAN. PLEASE NOTE ACTS 15:19 (MY SENTENCE IS THUS)
he could only draft d letter after peter had concluded d arguement, it seems u didnt notice dat detail.

LIKE I HAVE SAID BEFORE YASHUA HAS NO VICE (VICAR) OR SSISTANT AND NONE OF HIS APOSTLES EVER CLAIMED THIS TITLE
really? Infact i claim d title, i'm christ assistant, i'm a member of his body and he continues thru me his work. U are uneccesaryly oppose to d title.

AND ANYONE THAT CLAIMS TO BE SUCH IS THE LAWLESS MAN (SATAN)
PEACE LOVE AND JOY!!
while i do enjoy chit chat, d above will derail d thread and 4 dat reason i decided to shorten my response. If u wish to discuss these theological points, do open a thread, i'll be happy to join u.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by MostHigh: 3:31pm On Feb 22, 2013
and d bible say Jesus d has d keys of d kingdon and also say peter was given d keys. There is no contradiction unless u are looking 4 one.

SO HOW MANY KEYS ARE THERE?

PERHAPS YASHUA HAS THE MAIN KEYS AND PETER WITH YOU AN MYSELF HAVE THE SPARE KEYS ABI?

and yet d bible only records dat one, just one apostle is given d keys of d kingdom.

LIKE I SAID THIS IS A MISTRANSLATION. IF THIS IS TRUE THEN WHAT ABOUT ME AND YOU DO WE NOT GET THE KEYS AS WELL OR NO ENTRANCE AND EXIT FOR US?

he could only draft d letter after peter had concluded d arguement, it seems u didnt notice dat detail.

WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH AUTHORITY? JAMES WORDS ARE CLEAR (MY JUDGEMENT IS THIS)HE DIDNT SAY PETERS JUDGEMNT IS THUS AND THUS. YOU MAKE IT SOUND AS IF JAMES NA PETER PRIVATE SECRETARY.

really? Infact i claim d title, i'm christ assistant, i'm a member of his body and he continues thru me his work. U are uneccesaryly oppose to d title.
IF YOU WERE A TRUE DESCIPLE U WOULD KNOW THAT WE ARE ALL EQUAL IN CHRIST NOTE MATHEW 23 YASHUA IN A MOST AGGRESSIVE STATE TALKING ABOUT YOUR KIND AND THE PEOPLE YOU WORSHIP.

ITS BEEN A LONG TIME COMING BABYLAN IS FALLING.

SEEING THAT YOU ALSO CLAIM VICARIUS FILLIE DEI AS YOU TITLE IT IS CLEAR THAT YOU AND YOU SPIRITUAL FARTHER HAVE A LOT IN COMMON I HOPE YOU DONT INDULDGE IN THE COVER UP OF CHILD MOLESTATION AS WELL?

JUST A NOTE VICARIUS FILII DEI SUMATES TO 666 REMEMBER THIS MAN WAS ALREADY RUNNING THINGS WHEN JOHN WAS LOCKED UP IN PATMOS

PEACE LOVE JOY!!!
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Zikkyy(m): 4:12pm On Feb 22, 2013
wiegraf:
Are you implying that the church is indeed guilty?

No. am not. am leaving that to the courts. i don't have the facts.

wiegraf:
I wouldn't see why they'd need to interfere if they weren't so. If he did do wrong and was genuinely regretful, yes, reporting himself is an option. It's been done before, people admitting to crimes, yes? Actually, morally speaking, I thought that was what is encouraged, yes? Legally, it certainly is.

@bolded, YES. What am asking is why is the relevant (legal/law enforcement) authority not doing anything to bring the people involved to justice? we all agree that committing a 'crime' is wrong (legal/moral), but it's rare to see an offender reporting himself. it's like accusing ibori of not reporting himself to the police.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 4:49pm On Feb 22, 2013
Why not open a new thread on d topic?
MostHigh: and d bible say Jesus d has d keys of d kingdon and also say peter was given d keys. There is no contradiction unless u are looking 4 one.

SO HOW MANY KEYS ARE THERE?

PERHAPS YASHUA HAS THE MAIN KEYS AND PETER WITH YOU AN MYSELF HAVE THE SPARE KEYS ABI?
good questions, one i shuld ask u.

LIKE I SAID THIS IS A MISTRANSLATION. IF THIS IS TRUE THEN WHAT ABOUT ME AND YOU DO WE NOT GET THE KEYS AS WELL OR NO ENTRANCE AND EXIT FOR US?
u want to show proof.

WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH AUTHORITY? JAMES WORDS ARE CLEAR (MY JUDGEMENT IS THIS)HE DIDNT SAY PETERS JUDGEMNT IS THUS AND THUS. YOU MAKE IT SOUND AS IF JAMES NA PETER PRIVATE SECRETARY.
those arent my words.

IF YOU WERE A TRUE DESCIPLE U WOULD KNOW THAT WE ARE ALL EQUAL IN CHRIST NOTE MATHEW 23 YASHUA IN A MOST AGGRESSIVE STATE TALKING ABOUT YOUR KIND AND THE PEOPLE YOU WORSHIP.
i worship everyone if u understand d meaning of d word worship. And d equal dignity of believer is a teaching of d catholic church so also d teaching of different office

ITS BEEN A LONG TIME COMING BABYLAN IS FALLING.

SEEING THAT YOU ALSO CLAIM VICARIUS FILLIE DEI AS YOU TITLE IT IS CLEAR THAT YOU AND YOU SPIRITUAL FARTHER HAVE A LOT IN COMMON I HOPE YOU DONT INDULDGE IN THE COVER UP OF CHILD MOLESTATION AS WELL?

JUST A NOTE VICARIUS FILII DEI SUMATES TO 666 REMEMBER THIS MAN WAS ALREADY RUNNING THINGS WHEN JOHN WAS LOCKED UP IN PATMOS
PEACE LOVE JOY!!!
i'm sure in some languages Ubenedictus will translate to 666, if u dig well enough u will find and key into anything dat will help ur conspiracy theory.
And again open a new thread to discuss this issue. I may not ansa u on d thread.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by wiegraf: 4:54pm On Feb 22, 2013
Zikkyy:

No. am not. am leaving that to the courts. i don't have the facts.

@bolded, YES. What am asking is why is the relevant (legal/law enforcement) authority not doing anything to bring the people involved to justice? we all agree that committing a 'crime' is wrong (legal/moral), but it's rare to see an offender reporting himself. it's like accusing ibori of not reporting himself to the police.

While rare, that doesn't make the act right. Everyone does it is not a valid excuse to break the law I would think, two wrongs don't make a right etc.

Anyways, overall, for some of these cases the statue of limitation passed, that's why I was careful to mention suing and not arrests earlier (good ubene of course missed that). But there were coverups, lots. Police sef seem to have turned a blind eye, probably because of 'church'. Ratzinger himself does not seem to have been involved most, but some of his behavior has been questionable.

My hope is the church doesn't get special treatment simply because it's the church, and that sort of seems to be the case. Their not reporting crimes and deciding to secretly try these cases in church and not local courts is rather troubling. it's akin to members of a cult taking matters into their own hands. They want to do that, that's fine and dandy, but they should also report the issue to local authorities. That's how it works when say an employee is caught breaking the law. The case is reported and the company still disciplines the employee. They could fire or demote him, etc, but again, there's still the crime to report to authorities. If the employers are discovered to have attempted a coverup of any sort they are prosecuted by authorities as well (if caught ie). That should apply here.

Meh. Kudos
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Zikkyy(m): 5:11pm On Feb 22, 2013
wiegraf:
My hope is the church doesn't get special treatment simply because it's the church, and that sort of seems to be the case.

Sorry to disappoint you but that how it is. Big church get special treatment. even in Nigeria, you think it will be easy to arraign Adeboye for any offence?

wiegraf:
That's how it works when say an employee is caught breaking the law. The case is reported and the company still disciplines the employee. They could fire or demote him, etc, but again, there's still the crime to report to authorities. If the employers are discovered to have attempted a coverup of any sort they are prosecuted by authorities as well (if caught ie). That should apply here.

If reporting the case to the police will damage the brand, the company will deal with it internally. It's everywhere. But that is not to say it's right.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 5:42pm On Feb 22, 2013
wiegraf:

While rare, that doesn't make the act right. Everyone does it is not a valid excuse to break the law I would think, two wrongs don't make a right etc.
amen! Totally agree.
Anyways, overall, for some of these cases the statue of limitation passed, that's why I was careful to mention suing and not arrests earlier (good ubene of course missed that). But there were coverups, lots. Police sef seem to have turned a blind eye, probably because of 'church'. Ratzinger himself does not seem to have been involved most, but some of his behavior has been questionable.
what behaviour do u mean?

My hope is the church doesn't get special treatment simply because it's the church, and that sort of seems to be the case. Their not reporting crimes and deciding to secretly try these cases in church and not local courts is rather troubling. it's akin to members of a cult taking matters into their own hands. They want to do that, that's fine and dandy, but they should also report the issue to local authorities. That's how it works when say an employee is caught breaking the law. The case is reported and the company still disciplines the employee. They could fire or demote him, etc, but again, there's still the crime to report to authorities. If the employers are discovered to have attempted a coverup of any sort they are prosecuted by authorities as well (if caught ie). That shuld apply here.
amen! And i think it has applied here, there were abuse cases and naturally d bishop is suppose to treat d matter internally and support d police investigation, d stuff some bishops didnt do, at present many priests have been sued and some bishop too for d coverup. The conspiracy theory that links people who have no part in d crime and coverup is what i totally reject.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Lovethywilbedon: 1:12am On Feb 23, 2013
Zikkyy:

You don't blame the church for that. It's like blaming ibori for the federal government's inability to bring him to justice.

it will be much easier to discuss this if a request for extradition was made and rejected by the requested state or institution.

nobody can argue against this. it will be wrong of the church to 'hide' a crime. that said, i think the discussion/argument here will be more interesting if based on facts. what i observed here is that views/opinions are driven more by emotions and less of fact.
PERFECT!
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Lovethywilbedon: 1:23am On Feb 23, 2013

I will bet my last card that you don't know anything about Papal Infallibility.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 1:59am On Feb 25, 2013
Lovethywilbedon: I will bet my last card that you don't know anything about Papal Infallibility.
check up.
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Nobody: 7:26am On Feb 25, 2013

Pedophilic bastard, using the bible to justify this heinous act. Maybe christ was also a ped.ophile eh?
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Nobody: 7:34am On Feb 25, 2013
Lovethywilbedon: Good! But you still have not answered the question. What of places where the law of the land is to report to the police and what of the cases whereby the victims reported to the police, why haven't they arrested any priest? Or are Priest above the law of the land?

Do you know how difficult it is to gather evidence in cases like this, especially after decades later. My word against yours. Why go after 1 or 2 priests when you can be patient and bring down the whole filthy organization, like what is happening now eh?
Re: Pope Benedict Resigned To Avoid Arrest And Siezure Of Church Property by Ubenedictus(m): 12:30pm On Feb 25, 2013
kmcutez:

Do you know how difficult it is to gather evidence in cases like this, especially after decades later. My word against yours. Why go after 1 or 2 priests when you can be patient and bring down the whole filthy organization, like what is happening now eh?
dats d stuff, u guys want a full assault of the church, that isnt new, d jewish sahendrine and pharisees tried it, emperor nero also did, d list continues and they all died off and d church continue. Christ will heal d church of this crisis and long after u are dead d church will not fall 4 d master say "d gates of hell shall never prevail"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Satanism or Christianity / Who Is The Spirit Of Truth In The Holly Bible. / There Are 3 Kinds Of Heaven As Described In The Bible. Which One Applies To You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.