Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,251 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour (9960 Views)

Lagos Was Party To National Good Governance Tour Agreement / PDP Faults Fashola's Criticism Of Good Governance Tour / Good Governance Tour Ill-conceived – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by ballabriggs: 11:28am On Feb 20, 2013
[s]
Elueme: Oshomohle should stop playing a hero and act appropriately. The national good governance tour I learnt was a product of a consensus between the federal executive council and the governor's forum and I am surprised that my Oshomohle is now dancing a different tune even when his argument against the said tour didn't sail through at the forum. Democracy is a game of both number and superior argument and he( Oshomohle) was short of these two virtues when the issue was discussed before the tour was formally endorsed.
The agreement was a partnership between the federal and state. The state provides accommodation and feeding for the visiting team which comprises Nigerian union of journalists, civil society Organisations as well as government officials.
Despite the monetary involvement, I think the concept behind this tour is commendable. This is what our media houses ought to live up to by taking their time to do a thorough investigative journalism to ascertain what government at all levels are doing in the areas of infrastructural development. The citizens fora which I have watched so far had afforded many opportunity to air tbeir views and also to make contribution by way of informing the govt or suggestion on pertinent issues. Also, this tour will make many state governors to seat up, if regularized.
My humble advise is for the governor to play along if he had nothing to hide.. His position is most uncalled for and amount to being a betrayal. He is unnecessarily putting the state in the news for the wrong reasons but most unfortunately some may not see it this way that Oshomohle, though a good and a pragmatic leader, is an opportunist.
[/s]

Bollocks

5 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Elueme: 11:31am On Feb 20, 2013
ballabriggs: Another scam by the minister of misinformation Liebaran Maku aka fura de nunu minister.

I talk am, this man Maku is the most criminally minded minister in Zona's government. I thought they said Labaran Maku spends only N5 million in each of the states, funded by the ministry of misinformation's budget, managed by the project accountant bla bla bla. How come Maku has been extorting each state of the federation?

This man is a rogue! So you take money from the Ministry's budget and then go for egunje from the States. For what? To continue his consumption of fura de nunu.

JONA FIRE MAKU NOW!!!
Who is this attention seeking individual? Please you don't make sense!
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by takedat(m): 12:05pm On Feb 20, 2013
The good governance tour jamboree should be stopped. Good governance is not these tea parties, Owambe-motivated media tour led by Liebaran. We need a balanced and qualitative independent assessment!

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Mekusnwa: 12:31pm On Feb 20, 2013
Very funny how some people are misled by the antics of some opposition politicians.
Why would any Government have problems with any inquest or evaluation of their performance if not for mediocrity? This an unintelligent excuse by Oshiobaba to have his govt assessed on the basis of good governance.
The good governance tour is a wonderful initiative aimed at rendering an account of stewardship to citizens by those they freely elected. Except for mischief, no sane govt should have problems with that. I support Maku 100%. Instead of making noise in Abuja, the govt should go and show these projects live and direct. That is exactly what people desire. And it takes a responsive minister of information to heed to this call as part of information management.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by uzomagic(m): 12:51pm On Feb 20, 2013
This Oshiomhole like show oooo. Something that all the Governors agreed upon during a governors forum meeting but he is now forming as if na Maku wan use am chop. grin
Was he absent at the meeting? Abi he was sleeping when other governors agreed to do the Maku tour. Na waa ooo!
I believe Oshiomhole dey fear the tour because Maku dey expose cost of projects and all. The town hall meeting is also another nightmare for most governors who don't want to entertain questions from the public about several issues on governance. I dey watch am steady and see how people expose governors Nyash with questions.
Too bad Oshiomhole
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by GARRIx7(m): 12:56pm On Feb 20, 2013
uzomagic: This Oshiomhole like show oooo. Something that all the Governors agreed upon during a governors forum meeting but he is now forming as if na Maku wan use am chop. grin
Was he absent at the meeting? Abi he was sleeping when other governors agreed to do the Maku tour. Na waa ooo!
I believe Oshiomhole dey fear the tour because Maku dey expose cost of projects and all. The town hall meeting is also another nightmare for most governors who don't want to entertain questions from the public about several issues on governance. I dey watch am steady and see how people expose governors Nyash with questions.
Too bad Oshiomhole

Can't you read? Oshiomole isn't against the GGT, what he's saying is‎​ that he's not gonna feed, book hotel and take care of logistics for Liebaran Maku and his 120 Choristers!!

If they want to visit Edo state, then their bills should be taken care of by the FG.. PERIOD!!

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Dollarman101: 1:04pm On Feb 20, 2013
Another escapist strategy by Oshiomhole to dodge accountability to the people. The money that Oshiomhole spends on his girlfriends alone is enough to host 500 people for 1 year.
Everybody in Edo state knows his penchant for pleasures of the lower region.So who does he want to fool by this hypocrisy?
Maku should go ahead and inspect federal govt projects in the state. I believe the FG has the resources to take care of the logistics.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by uzomagic(m): 1:17pm On Feb 20, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Can't you read? Oshiomole isn't against the GGT, what he's saying is‎​ that he's not gonna feed, book hotel and take care of logistics for Liebaran Maku and his 120 Choristers!!

If they want to visit Edo state, then their bills should be taken care of by the FG.. PERIOD!!

Wasnt Oshiomhole part of the National Governors Forum that resolved to host the tour? How come he is now feigning ignorance to that consensus?
We have seen Maku visit so many states including opposition states like Nasssarawa and Anambra, they all participated actively in the tour and even showed up at the town hall meetings to respond to questions from the electorate. We all watched it live on TV so Why is Oshiomhole playing to the gallery and seeking to confuse issues?

I also understand that the tour consist largely of journalists and representatives of various civil society groups. So is that what you call a chorister?
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Nonnyz: 1:18pm On Feb 20, 2013
I wonder what Oshiomole is up to? Or could he be harbouring dirts in his wardrobe? A Tour which have been an avenue for showcasing both positivity and negativity notwithsatnding...
That the tour is the FG's responsibility doesn't make it a jamboree as submitted by the Governor, who I think hides more than the eyes can see...
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 20, 2013
uzomagic:

Wasnt Oshiomhole part of the National Governors Forum that resolved to host the tour? How come he is now feigning ignorance to that consensus?
We have seen Maku visit so many states including opposition states like Nasssarawa and Anambra, they all participated actively in the tour and even showed up at the town hall meetings to respond to questions from the electorate. We all watched it live on TV so Why is Oshiomhole playing to the gallery and seeking to confuse issues?

I also understand that the tour consist largely of journalists and representatives of various civil society groups. So is that what you call a chorister?

It was not a "consensus". Oshiomhole is known to have expressed reservations on the idea. He never supported it from the get-go.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by takedat(m): 1:21pm On Feb 20, 2013
GGT- teleguided inspection of selected and predetermined projects! Meaningless jamboree and media stunt! Thank you Comrade Governor, we know it is all a charade!
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 1:26pm On Feb 20, 2013
The comrade governor should better watch it. Pride they say come before a fall. Like I wrote earlier, he's becoming too arrogant and dictatorial. If he has issues with the bills and proposal made by the minister of information, he could have communicated the minister of information thru the proper channel, rather than making it public.

Rather than have the minister of information idle away in air-conditioned offices in Abuja, I prefer him being in the field. If possible, I would prefer an ENDLESS good governance tour. It also helps to keep contractors on their toe.

It was on this same platform few days ago that the "Eko oni ba je" crew celebrated and praised Fashola for inspection of ongoing projects in Lagos. Why are these same persons now allergic to inspection of ongoing federal projects by the minister of information? This is just one example of the smelly HYPOCRISY we see on this forum.

Also the good governance tour is not just about inspection of projects, but it also provide RARE opportunities for the governors and minister to answer UN-EDITED/UNDILUTED questions from ANYWHERE in the world.

Back to the comrade governor. I recall how the governor threatened to fight the private company that won the bid for the Benin PHCN distribution company just because the company the state govt supported failed. I was shocked to the marrow that the respected comrade governor could behave in such manner. His actions in that respect raised a red flag and I became afraid that this man may not be the 'clean' politician/activist we think he is. The implications of what he did then is that if he was the president he would have manipulated the privatisation process to favour certain interest.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by creativemusic: 1:28pm On Feb 20, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by AZeD1(m): 1:29pm On Feb 20, 2013
The GGT is pure rubbish. Do people of edo state need Maku to tell them if the road they are driving on is Good?
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Puntae: 1:29pm On Feb 20, 2013
From my cocoon I awake. Though I smell rat and mind play...
Oshiomole can't feign ignorance to a decision made in the FEC meeting over the NGGT,
unless this ploy of his, is to avert a massive disaster on the notice of the state's bankruptcy
or a mis-management of the state fund towards infrastructural development...
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Arobam: 1:29pm On Feb 20, 2013
take dat: GGF- teleguided inspection of selected and predetermined projects! Meaningless jamboree and media stunt! Thank you Comrade Governor, we know it is all a charade!
Listen to yourself. What is a charade? If FG says they have built a power plant at Ihouvbour, Edo state you will be one of those who will rush to this forum and deny it. you will ask them to show you proof and claim its all govt propaganda.

Today, we have a Minister that has resolved to go beyond mere talking to visit projects sites and ascertain the level of work done. And yet you call it a charade? You are an embarrassment to this our generation and a shameless paid hireling of undignified ancestry.
If you had little common sense left in that your empty skull, you would have availed yourself of this opportunity (like me)to know exactly the true state of these projects that FG keeps disturbing our ear drums about.
We know what is a charade. Obviously not the projects that Maku has been showing us live and direct nor the citizens forum that is aired on National television in each state visited.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Countryman93: 1:30pm On Feb 20, 2013
Oshiomole eats,drinks and sleeps controversies. Lets not forget that in the course of Good governance tour led by Information minister, Labaran Maku, most state Governors including some from opposition parties acknowledged that the Governor's Forum agreed with the Minister's Proposal and are very much in the know of the event. The NGGT team have visited more than 11 states, coming out with endless commendations with some Governors even begging them to make it a yearly event.

So Why did Adams Oshiomole suddenly decide to rebel against the resolution of the Governor's forum?

Is he better than other Governors that have embraced such a programme with numerous benefits to the three tiers of government?

Is partly funding the NGGT not better than some frivolous spending for so many unncessary state banquets going on in Edo State every now and then?

Is Oshiomole hiding Something that he does not want the world to see?

When did the pint size, outspoken and 'ever ready to spit' Governor start developing goose pimples for publicity?

Oshiomole really have some explanations to make cos I'm sure the funding he's talking of is not up to the money he spends on some Owambe trips to Abuja on Edo tax payers bill.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 20, 2013
uzomagic:

Give the Comrade Governor his fair due, he's been pretty much consistent on the issue of traveling 'mobb deep' smiley

The governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomole on Thursday called on the Federal Government to slash its overhead personnel costs for public officers by 50 percent.

Mr Oshiomole told a gathering in Abuja that the Central Bank Governor (CBN) governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi’s call for a reduction in the high cost of recurrent expenditure is not wrong however, the cut should be made from the excess spending of government officials and not the wages of workers.

He argues that the nation cannot continue to invest 80 percent of its budget on travel expenses of leaders and end up borrowing the remaining 20 percent left for capital projects. Mr Oshiomole was speaking against the backdrop of the recent outrage sparked by Mr Sanusi’s call for a 50 percent downsizing of civil servants to reduce government spending.
Source
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by AZeD1(m): 1:32pm On Feb 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The comrade governor should better watch it. Pride they say come before a fall. Like I wrote earlier, he's becoming too arrogant and dictatorial. If he has issues with the bills and proposal made by the minister of information, he could have communicated the minister of information thru the proper channel, rather than making it public.

Rather than have the minister of information idle away in air-conditioned offices in Abuja, I prefer him being in the field. If possible, I would prefer an ENDLESS good governance tour. It also helps to keep contractors on their toe.

It was on this same platform few days ago that the "Eko oni ba je" crew celebrated and praised Fashola for inspection of ongoing projects in Lagos. Why are these same persons now allergic to inspection of ongoing federal projects by the minister of information? This is just one example of the smelly HYPOCRISY we see on this forum.

Also the good governance tour is not just about inspection of projects, but it also provide RARE opportunities for the governors and minister to answer UN-EDITED/UNDILUTED questions from ANYWHERE in the world.

Back to the comrade governor. I recall how the governor threatened to fight the private company that won the bid for the Benin PHCN distribution company just because the company the state govt supported failed. I was shocked to the marrow that the respected comrade governor could behave in such manner. His actions in that respect raised a red flag and I became afraid that this man may not be the 'clean' politician/activist we think he is. The implications of what he did then is that if he was the president he would have manipulated the privatisation process to favour certain interest.
I seriously doubt that you are a medical doctor. How can you compare a governor monitoring what his is doing to this Jamboree? If Maku wants to tour Nigeria he should meet GEJ for funds.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 20, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Can't you read? Oshiomole isn't against the GGT, what he's saying is​ that he's not gonna feed, book hotel and take care of logistics for Liebaran Maku and his 120 Choristers!!

My friend, it would appear you'r the one who cant read. The comrade governor said "I do not need them to come to tell Edo people how I built roads and schools. My achievement speaks for me.”

From the above quote, it is obvious the governor is not only against the bills but also against the programme.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 20, 2013
Flye: Wooow!!! So it is state that is sponsouring this jamboree, a federal gov propagander where all they tell themselve is lies up and down, no one has the bull to ask sensible questions all what they do is praise.
OSHIOMOLEBABA KEEP IT UP.

Sponsoring...propaganda....please take note and correct accordingly.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by jagabanban: 1:34pm On Feb 20, 2013
Once again, the issue of this thread has been taken out of context by most commenters. The issue is about using state funds to finance the tour NOT on the relevance or necessity of the tour. I think its the absolute prerogative of the governor to decide what to spend money on or not. He has chosen not to! "There should be no fighting in the church, at all". Say your prayers, and I say Amen or keep mute.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 1:34pm On Feb 20, 2013
seanet01: PDP is not the one to tell Edo people if Oshiomole have performed.
T.W.A.T.S

...has performed.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Puntae: 1:35pm On Feb 20, 2013
HNosegbe:

It was not a "consensus". Oshiomhole is known to have expressed reservations on the idea. He never supported it from the get-go.

How did u know he never supported it from the beginning, did he tell u first hand or u just got to know by reading it now on nairaland?
This is my problem with critics and self centered hullabaloos, who derive joy from only dissecting issues from a blind's man view point...
Pls, if u av better submission to this technical issue, u may submit same else, Bounce!!!
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by disloman(m): 1:38pm On Feb 20, 2013
Elueme: Oshomohle should stop playing a hero and act appropriately. The national good governance tour I learnt was a product of a consensus between the federal executive council and the governor's forum and I am surprised that my Oshomohle is now dancing a different tune even when his argument against the said tour didn't sail through at the forum. Democracy is a game of both number and superior argument and he( Oshomohle) was short of these two virtues when the issue was discussed before the tour was formally endorsed.
The agreement was a partnership between the federal and state. The state provides accommodation and feeding for the visiting team which comprises Nigerian union of journalists, civil society Organisations as well as government officials.
Despite the monetary involvement, I think the concept behind this tour is commendable. This is what our media houses ought to live up to by taking their time to do a thorough investigative journalism to ascertain what government at all levels are doing in the areas of infrastructural development. The citizens fora which I have watched so far had afforded many opportunity to air tbeir views and also to make contribution by way of informing the govt or suggestion on pertinent issues. Also, this tour will make many state governors to seat up, if regularized.
My humble advise is for the governor to play along if he had nothing to hide.. His position is most uncalled for and amount to being a betrayal. He is unnecessarily putting the state in the news for the wrong reasons but most unfortunately some may not see it this way that Oshomohle, though a good and a pragmatic leader, is an opportunist.
just 4 once in ur lifetime,try 2 read n undastand.he said,he oppose the idea at d governors forum

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by vanstanzy(m): 1:39pm On Feb 20, 2013
Politicians and show of FRIVOLITY. Oshiomhole, that's a good thing u did. So if ya'll going to

scre*w some slvts during ur stay, make im pay for una shey?undecided undecided undecided
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Countryman93: 1:43pm On Feb 20, 2013
A-ZeD:
The GGT is pure rubbish. Do people of edo state need Maku to tell them if the road they are driving on is Good?

Please don't make comments as if you are in the market place. Who told you the NGGT is all about roads? I'm very sure you have never watched any of the citizen's forum organised at the end of the tour of each state where the citizens/locals are opportuned to air their views on the negative/positive views on what is going on in the state.

You should know that the Tour isn't all about Maku or the Federal government but an opportunity begging to be seized by the three tiers of governments to step up their performances and also indigenes to see how their resources are being used fo better cooperation and understanding.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Mallamabdul: 1:44pm On Feb 20, 2013
A-ZeD:

If you have been watching and following the tour, you will understand that it goes beyond just showing people about projects. Maku takes time to ask questions about the cost of the project and the quality assurance. It is not just enough to execute projects. The people deserve a right to know at what cost and quality because it's their money. Any sincere person who has followed the tour will be fair enough to admit that Maku has been tough on contractors handling Federal Givernment projects.
I have seen him on TV lambasts contractors for undue delays on execution of contracts which is very key. Even some road projects have been revoked as a result of this tour.
So it's not something Oshiomhole should play politics with. The delegation has pressmen from every media organisation hence the size

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Dollarman101: 1:45pm On Feb 20, 2013
The fact still remains that oshomohle has not worked as a governor, and therefore has nothing to show the team, so therefore he chose to dodge the team by saying he is not participating in the tour. We would wait to see the end of this and if I may ask why didn't he object from the beginning when the Governors forum sat together?
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Mandelaguy(m): 1:46pm On Feb 20, 2013
I have an insider in this Edo government, and I must tell you that Oshiomole is just playing cheap with words. A man I respect(not minding his rapacious womanising disease) for his bravado has fallen my hand. How can you say this when we have seen the positive impact this tour has brought to some states,their governors were forced to start working on projects the states had abandoned knowing that people will talk,I can authoritatively give you some stats. So, amongst all the 36 governors, Oshiomole is the wisest? They are not telling you to pay or lobby, but like others did,provide accommodation and feeding for your state guests, I don't think that it can be termed waste of state funds. After all, in Africa, we take care of our guests. If he does not need anyone to tell Edo people and Nigerians what he has done, why is he spending money on publicity? I don't want to term him a political hypocrite, but my comrade governor, you goofed in this one.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by emiye(m): 1:46pm On Feb 20, 2013
Puntae:

How did u know he never supported it from the beginning, did he tell u first hand or u just got to know by reading it now on nairaland?
This is my problem with critics and self centered hullabaloos, who derive joy from only dissecting issues from a blind's man view point...
Pls, if u av better submission to this technical issue, u may submit same else, Bounce!!!

I won’t use state resources to finance Good Governance tour – Oshiomhole

February 20, 2013 | 12:58 am

News

By GABRIEL ENOGHOLASE

BENIN — GOVERNOR Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State has said that he was not prepared to spend the state’s limited resources to finance the Federal Government’s Good Governance tour, led by Minister of Information and Orientation, Mr. Labaran Maku.

Oshiomhole, at a seminar on Tax Laws in the state, organised by Edo State Board of Internal Revenue, in Benin, explained that he had opposed the proposal for state governments to sponsor the team, when the matter came up at the Governor’s Forum.

He said that the Good Governance team had sent in a proposal, imploring him to provide accommodation, feeding and logistics for over 120 delegates, when they visit the state next week.

Oshiomhole, who lamented what he called the bogus proposal from the team, said: “Whenever Edo State government officials travel to Abuja for official duties, the state takes responsibility and not the Federal Government.

“So, it is not proper to use Edo State tax payers’ money to finance a Federal Government programme. If they pay me a courtesy visit, I will receive them, but I don’t have a dime to spend on them because I do not need them to come to tell Edo people how I built roads and schools. My achievement speaks for me.”

Did you read the OP ? The part higlighted in red tells it.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by smokieN(m): 1:47pm On Feb 20, 2013
GARRI (x7):

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/i-wont-use-state-resources-to-finance-good-governance-tour-oshiomhole/

Labaran & co must be high on cheap craps by telling Osho bobo to host them for a federal govt assignment....and to Osho bobo; they are not coming to inspect or commission or talk bou your project but Federal govt projects....ok? so take am easy with yourself. gbam!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kayode Fayemi: Presidency Not For Moneybags / Gunmen In Hummer Jeeps Gun Down 4 Cops, Burn 2 Patrol Vehicles In Anambra / Zenith Bank Adopts Osun Roundabout For N5m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.