Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour (9961 Views)

Lagos Was Party To National Good Governance Tour Agreement / PDP Faults Fashola's Criticism Of Good Governance Tour / Good Governance Tour Ill-conceived – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by blacksta(m): 1:47pm On Feb 20, 2013
Elueme: Oshomohle should stop playing a hero and act appropriately. The national good governance tour I learnt was a product of a consensus between the federal executive council and the governor's forum and I am surprised that my Oshomohle is now dancing a different tune even when his argument against the said tour didn't sail through at the forum. Democracy is a game of both number and superior argument and he( Oshomohle) was short of these two virtues when the issue was discussed before the tour was formally endorsed.
The agreement was a partnership between the federal and state. The state provides accommodation and feeding for the visiting team which comprises Nigerian union of journalists, civil society Organisations as well as government officials.
Despite the monetary involvement, I think the concept behind this tour is commendable. This is what our media houses ought to live up to by taking their time to do a thorough investigative journalism to ascertain what government at all levels are doing in the areas of infrastructural development. The citizens fora which I have watched so far had afforded many opportunity to air tbeir views and also to make contribution by way of informing the govt or suggestion on pertinent issues. Also, this tour will make many state governors to seat up, if regularized.
My humble advise is for the governor to play along if he had nothing to hide.. His position is most uncalled for and amount to being a betrayal. He is unnecessarily putting the state in the news for the wrong reasons but most unfortunately some may not see it this way that Oshomohle, though a good and a pragmatic leader, is an opportunist.

ha ha - i dont blame you . bills must be paid. Your Edo state tour money is at stake for you and rest of 119 MOR ONS
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by sharpman1(m): 1:48pm On Feb 20, 2013
These Laptop Squad peeps are really working for their pay o.

How can a right thinking person fault Oshiomole for this stand

Some Nigerians have completely sold their future.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by kingingkinging: 1:49pm On Feb 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I like governor Oshiomole alot and he's definitely one very popular governor. However, he should watch it because he's beginning to exhibit arrogance and dictatorial tendencies.

I understand the national good governance tour is a programme of collaboration between the FG and 36 state govts (and FCT). I'm surprised the comrade governor now tagged the national good governance tour a "federal govt programme"

After watching some of the live telecast of the national good governance tour in some states, I concluded that we need more of such programmes. On every occasion that I watched the live telecast of the citizens forum, UNDILUTED questions were asked by citizens resident in any part of the world. And the governors and minister of information labour to provide answers to all the questions.

No matter how the comrade governor has performed, there are always issues and problems (some of which the governor may not be aware of) that may require further clarification.

Moreover, democracy is not a one man show. There should be continuous conversation between the leaders and followers. Avenues for such conversation can never be surplus. The good governance tour is one of such avenues for conversation between the leaders and the people.

If the governor can sponsor the camping of national football teams in Edo (which he has done in the past), he should be able to provide counterpart funds to support the 3days visit of the national good governance tour team to Edo state.

I have always known you are totally insincere and a bunch of syncophant working for GEJ. 120 member team will cost nothing less than N300,000,000 for 3 days. 5 star hotel (accommodation), feeding, logistics and honorarium maybe N1m each to the 120 people, others are advertisement cost, television viewing cost,etc. Why?
You mentioned camping Super eagles as a similar expenditure but you have forgotten that sport has social benefits, it brings economic and commercial benefits to any hosting community both before, during and after the programme or why do you think countries of the world fight, lobby and even bribe to host world cup and olympics, it also has aesthetic values, it brings happiness, etc?. Sport is far more reasonable than 'good governance tour' which has no social value and economic benefit to the state. The supposed or estimated N300m would build one elementary school or give a relieve to poor family. Labaran Maku should go to Borno, Bauchi or Yobe for his good governance tour. Even Gej has not visited the place for the past 3 years. why Edo. We all know the man is a performer. Corruption-ridden govt.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by brownlord: 1:51pm On Feb 20, 2013
Elueme: Oshomohle should stop playing a hero and act appropriately. The national good governance tour I learnt was a product of a consensus between the federal executive council and the governor's forum and I am surprised that my Oshomohle is now dancing a different tune even when his argument against the said tour didn't sail through at the forum. Democracy is a game of both number and superior argument and he( Oshomohle) was short of these two virtues when the issue was discussed before the tour was formally endorsed.
The agreement was a partnership between the federal and state. The state provides accommodation and feeding for the visiting team which comprises Nigerian union of journalists, civil society Organisations as well as government officials.
Despite the monetary involvement, I think the concept behind this tour is commendable. This is what our media houses ought to live up to by taking their time to do a thorough investigative journalism to ascertain what government at all levels are doing in the areas of infrastructural development. The citizens fora which I have watched so far had afforded many opportunity to air tbeir views and also to make contribution by way of informing the govt or suggestion on pertinent issues. Also, this tour will make many state governors to seat up, if regularized.
My humble advise is for the governor to play along if he had nothing to hide.. His position is most uncalled for and amount to being a betrayal. He is unnecessarily putting the state in the news for the wrong reasons but most unfortunately some may not see it this way that Oshomohle, though a good and a pragmatic leader, is an opportunist.

Nice one, but you just succeeded in saying trash, i dont blame u, but the slowpoke that like this gabage u wrote here, go get a life
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Dollarman101: 1:53pm On Feb 20, 2013
A-ZeD:
The GGT is pure rubbish. Do people of edo state need Maku to tell them if the road they are driving on is Good?

The problem here is that you have not even followed the tour to know what it is all about,so I don't think you should even comment on this thread. Atleast people are seeing the importance of this tour and it's town hall meetings. Governors that are under rated have even proven that they are working through this tour.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by mkoabiola: 1:53pm On Feb 20, 2013
Abeg,hw can I b among d 120 delegates ,so I can make it 121 delegates,cos I av eagle eye so we can completed d remaining tour to oda states.
Help me,pass d info to labaran maku.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 20, 2013
Dollarman101: The fact still remains that oshomohle has not worked as a governor, and therefore has nothing to show the team, so therefore he chose to dodge the team by saying he is not participating in the tour. We would wait to see the end of this and if I may ask why didn't he object from the beginning when the Governors forum sat together?

The Comrade Governor did in fact voice his opposition to this zany idea from the get-go.

Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo state has declared that he would not spend the state’s resources to finance the federal government-sponsored Good Governance Tour being led by the Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku.

Oshiomhole, who disclosed this during a seminar on ‘tax laws’ in the state, explained that he had opposed the proposal of state government sponsorship of the team when the matter first came up at a meeting of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF).

For the reason stated above (also see below), his acquiescence, now, would make him complicit in yet another charade (YAC) designed to hoodwink long suffering Nigerians.
Not that difficult to comprehend, is it?

The Good Governance Tour, organised by the Federal Ministry of Information, is believed to have received presidential approval for funds to take care of the accommodation, feeding, logistics, television live coverage of the tour and other welfare matters of members of the Maku-led delegation.

It was gathered that rather than put into use the approved funds, the information minister has depended more on state governments to pick the bills of the delegation for which majority of the states did not budget but are reluctantly made to cough out millions of naira in order not to be listed among the least performing states in the country in the event that a rating based on the assessment of the team is carried out.

Source
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by kingingkinging: 1:54pm On Feb 20, 2013
Mekusnwa: Very funny how some people are misled by the antics of some opposition politicians.
Why would any Government have problems with any inquest or evaluation of their performance if not for mediocrity? This an unintelligent excuse by Oshiobaba to have his govt assessed on the basis of good governance.
The good governance tour is a wonderful initiative aimed at rendering an account of stewardship to citizens by those they freely elected. Except for mischief, no sane govt should have problems with that. I support Maku 100%. Instead of making noise in Abuja, the govt should go and show these projects live and direct. That is exactly what people desire. And it takes a responsive minister of information to heed to this call as part of information management.

Where did he say he doesnt want to be assessed? Pls do not allow syncophancy to blind your sense of judgement? He said he cant pay for the cost attached. Very simple. Do you need 120 people to assess a good road, good school, laudable programmes? Definitely no. Let them go to Yobe and Borno for the tour.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by brownlord: 1:56pm On Feb 20, 2013
sharp man: These Laptop Squad peeps are really working for their pay o.

How can a right thinking person fault Oshiomole for this stand

Some Nigerians have completely sold their future.

I was thinking the 40 men squad was dissolved after the general election, i never knew they only hibernated their laptop and now they booting gradually, anyway they can keep decieving their self, na just that liebara maku that the only thing he knows how to do is lie, i wonder if hes able to correct his children at home

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Pupita(f): 1:56pm On Feb 20, 2013
Oshiomole, keep quiet and stop scoring cheap scores. Who is he sef? A masquerade, always hiding behind the mask. A dog that did everything possible to see my pants, mtcheeeew! You people should stop deceiving yourselves in fighting for these shameless politicians. I will only fight for a course I believe in, as per this NGGTOUR, it is one of the best things happening to Nigeria right now, we should all be informed, and get the consciousness of happenings in our states and environment at large, it will also give us the facts to come on social media platforms and media in general and shout when we see lies been spread. I speak as a woman who thinks with her head. F**k this Oshiomole actor, I know him wella, just a mere masquerade.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by takedat(m): 1:56pm On Feb 20, 2013
Arobam:
Listen to yourself. What is a charade? If FG says they have built a power plant at Ihouvbour, Edo state you will be one of those who will rush to this forum and deny it. you will ask them to show you proof and claim its all govt propaganda.

Today, we have a Minister that has resolved to go beyond mere talking to visit projects sites and ascertain the level of work done. And yet you call it a charade? You are an embarrassment to this our generation and a shameless paid hireling of undignified ancestry.
If you had little common sense left in that your empty skull, you would have availed yourself of this opportunity (like me)to know exactly the true state of these projects that FG keeps disturbing our ear drums about.
We know what is a charade. Obviously not the projects that Maku has been showing us live and direct nor the citizens forum that is aired on National television in each state visited.
Shut the fuq up, Numpty! Is the GGT jamboree the best way to promote independent assessment of how the process of governance takes place in Nigeria? The constitution empowers the mass media to uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people, but it does not state that members of the media shall be ferried and catered for by the government for a "guided" assessment or governance tour. If the saying that he who pays the piper dictates the tune holds true, then nothing objective can be derived from the jamborees!

I'm not surprised you are taking sides with the tour, since you are a member of the 120 hungry, trash talking tool crumbies. Asswipe!

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Maduale: 1:59pm On Feb 20, 2013
I just wonder what somebody will do in Nigeria and people will accept.
If a minister of information talks on TV, they will say he talks too much.
If a minister of information does rebranding, they will say its waste of money.
If a minister of information holds media briefing, they will say na wash and the projects don't exist.
If a Minister of information responds to criticisms about performance, they will say he lied.
If a minister of information now decides to make physical inspection of the projects and show them to the world, they will say its not necessary and a waste. Haba!
Critics are insatiable and hypocritical.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by brownlord: 2:01pm On Feb 20, 2013
Dollarman101:

The problem here is that you have not even followed the tour to know what it is all about,so I don't think you should even comment on this thread. Atleast people are seeing the importance of this tour and it's town hall meetings. Governors that are under rated have even proven that they are working through this tour.

Oga follower think of the cost of this jamboree, weather tour or no tour do u need 120 people to carry out inspection? R u high, laptop number what are u?

My friend if u have notin to say just close that computer or drop that phone or whatever gadget u r using, mr follower

Follower kor disciples ni

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by slimfit1(m): 2:02pm On Feb 20, 2013
kelvincoll: Oshiomole you too talk ooh.... Nice one though, but nothing stops you from partnering with the Tour Team in showcasing your works to Nigerian out Edo and in Diaspora.

He doesn't need too, let his people confirm for him it's a waste of money . Osho man carry on use the money for somethin else.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by funken: 2:04pm On Feb 20, 2013
I wonder why we need a good governance tour in the first place? This is the first time I am hearing about that!!! Does Obama and his secretaries have good governance tours? Why do you need to launder your image if you are actually "governing goodly" grin grin?

They say actions speaks louder than words. Let us see action from the govt and nobody will need to spend our scarce resources - state of Fed govt on jamborees called Good Governance tours. "Govern goodly" from Aso rock and the various seats of power and the governed (the people) will naturally sing your praises - and very cheaply too!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Elueme: 2:05pm On Feb 20, 2013
jagabanban: Once again, the issue of this thread has been taken out of context by most commenters. The issue is about using state funds to finance the tour NOT on the relevance or necessity of the tour. I think its the absolute prerogative of the governor to decide what to spend money on or not. He has chosen not to! "There should be no fighting in the church, at all". Say your prayers, and I say Amen or keep mute.
My bro, let's be factual, no govt is run in isolation. Oshiomohle's action if real will be ill perceived no matter the logic he may profer.Oshiomohle is a member of the national council of state and nigeria governors forum where this tour was discussed and endorsed. Agreed he may have had a dissenting view but as earlier said, it's about a superior argument and number. Since these bodies have taken a position, I expect Oshiomohle to play along and stop being in the news for controversy. He must also understand that he doesn't know it all. Accomodating, feeding and providing logistics for 120 people can't make Edo go bankrupt.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Mandelaguy(m): 2:05pm On Feb 20, 2013
kingingkinging:

I have always known you are totally insincere and a bunch of syncophant working for GEJ. 120 member team will cost nothing less than N300,000,000 for 3 days. 5 star hotel (accommodation), feeding, logistics and honorarium maybe N1m each to the 120 people, others are advertisement cost, television viewing cost,etc. Why?
You mentioned camping Super eagles as a similar expenditure but you have forgotten that sport has social benefits, it brings economic and commercial benefits to any hosting community both before, during and after the programme or why do you think countries of the world fight, lobby and even bribe to host world cup and olympics, it also has aesthetic values, it brings happiness, etc?. Sport is far more reasonable than 'good governance tour' which has no social value and economic benefit to the state. The supposed or estimated N300m would build one elementary school or give a relieve to poor family. Labaran Maku should go to Borno, Bauchi or Yobe for his good governance tour. Even Gej has not visited the place for the past 3 years. why Edo. We all know the man is a performer. Corruption-ridden govt.
Accountant General of the Federaion, well done on your calculations. How many 5 start hotels do you have in Nigeria? Can you just see that you have shot yourself on the leg? Why would a governor dole out 1million each to the team? Another shot on your other leg. Being in opposition does not mean baseless ranting, it means constructive criticism and aligning when you see a truely progressive venture. I do not blame your likes, you are among the people who in my language they call" asi wo la odi iri, wo achiri chiba la akpa" your sentiments and emotional inclinations will never allow you digest issues in the positive and negative, there are always two sides to a coin and two sides to a story. Be guided.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by brownlord: 2:06pm On Feb 20, 2013
Maduale: I just wonder what somebody will do in Nigeria and people will accept.
If a minister of information holds media briefing, they will say na wash and the projects don't exist.
If a Minister of information responds to criticisms about performance, they will say he lied.
If a minister of information now decides to make physical inspection of the projects and show them to the world, they will say its not necessary and a waste. Haba!

Laptop no. 3 booting, oga you dont need 120 people to carry out that inspection beside, the federal govt. Should take care of this tour and not the state, was the minister employed by the state or federal govt. Why put the burden on the state, oshio only said, he cant use tax payers money for such jamboree, that does not stop him from visiting if the fed. Govt, make available the resources, na simple english them be write the post o
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by fistonme(m): 2:06pm On Feb 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I like governor Oshiomole alot and he's definitely one very popular governor. However, he should watch it because he's beginning to exhibit arrogance and dictatorial tendencies.

I understand the national good governance tour is a programme of collaboration between the FG and 36 state govts (and FCT). I'm surprised the comrade governor now tagged the national good governance tour a "federal govt programme"

After watching some of the live telecast of the national good governance tour in some states, I concluded that we need more of such programmes. On every occasion that I watched the live telecast of the citizens forum, UNDILUTED questions were asked by citizens resident in any part of the world. And the governors and minister of information labour to provide answers to all the questions.

No matter how the comrade governor has performed, there are always issues and problems (some of which the governor may not be aware of) that may require further clarification.

Moreover, democracy is not a one man show. There should be continuous conversation between the leaders and followers. Avenues for such conversation can never be surplus. The good governance tour is one of such avenues for conversation between the leaders and the people.

If the governor can sponsor the camping of national football teams in Edo (which he has done in the past), he should be able to provide counterpart funds to support the 3days visit of the national good governance tour team to Edo state.

thanks for acknowlegding ur love for my Governor. But i completely disagree with ur point on counterpart funding using his prior hosting of the national team as a premise to support ur argument. I am with the comrade governor in this, the good governance tour is nothing but a propaganda to BOOST the reputation of president Goodluck jonathan in the guise of showcasing the state and federal goverment projects going on in the various states. All and sundry already know the comrade governor is working and has more work to do and do not need the wasteful good governance tour to to do that(my brother tem dey tell blind man say rain dey fall?). I suggest he use the money he should have used to finance the so called good governance tour to finance other projects in the state in dire need of attention. Do u think it is peanut to host and entertain a minister and his entourage for three days? Not to talk of the so called 'GIFT' that would be given to them in the popular guise to buy fuel as they return home,as if fuel na #1,000,000 per liter.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by slimfit1(m): 2:07pm On Feb 20, 2013
Maduale: I just wonder what somebody will do in Nigeria and people will accept.

Because it's a useless idea and a waste of resources let him start a meaningful idea and see how people will back him.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by saymax(f): 2:08pm On Feb 20, 2013
I too like my pple. Guts to speak out dia minds. Gud governance tour abi a group of pdp errand boys trying to buy more votes 4 dia party frm states n to worsen it all, at d expense of d states. Na who b d maga?
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Nobody: 2:10pm On Feb 20, 2013

Don't you understand simple English ? He said he's not hosting them and if they don't like it,let them stay away from Edo state !
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by slimfit1(m): 2:16pm On Feb 20, 2013
Dollarman101:

Yes sir the problem here is that it's s waste of money sir nothing else and you don't need that much people. I can do it with just 4 people media shekana. Please we are not foolish here if you r.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Arobam: 2:21pm On Feb 20, 2013
take dat: Shut the fuq up, Numpty! Is the GGT jamboree the best way to promote independent assessment of how the process of governance takes place in Nigeria? The constitution empowers the mass media to uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people, but it does not state that members of the media shall be ferried and catered for by the government for a "guided" assessment or governance tour. If the saying that he who pays the piper dictates the tune holds true, then nothing objective can be derived from the jamborees!

I'm not surprised you are taking sides with the tour, since you are a member of the 120 hungry, trash talking tool crumbies. Asswipe!

You see how foolish you sound? The bolded contradicts you and highlights your I.mbecility. The same mass media forms a huge chunk of the 120 members that you are tearing your pants about.
Every newspaper has a correspondent in the tour including NTA and other TV stations. You have a phobia for learning so you may not notice the daily coverage of the tour on our national dailies. simply put, Oshiomhole is saying that he cannot accommodate pressmen who came to evaluate his performance in office.

I will not even join issues with you on your allegations of my imaginary involvement in the tour. I seriously desire to be part of the tour so that i would not have time to Be gossiping with fools like you on this forum.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by Japanise: 2:22pm On Feb 20, 2013
This is good governance from a governor of the people by the people and for the poeple

What good governance is minister of information showcasing, I ran into their convoy while they are in Abia state over thirty cars on the road sqandering tax payers money (the cost of fueling those cars)
And later at night during the network new Abia state governor was praise for good work in Abia state. What good work does the governor of Aba state has to show , all the road are bad.
When ever the governor visit Aba the people always stone him
Labaran Maku should go and sit dowm and stop wasting tax payers money
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by funshint(m): 2:32pm On Feb 20, 2013
S̶̲̥̅Ơ hw does it provide dat G-tin with 2 brown nuts!
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by funshint(m): 2:32pm On Feb 20, 2013
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by bong4(m): 2:34pm On Feb 20, 2013

is it possible for the minister of information to give a state government below average mark not to talk of failure after he was sponsored by the same government on a tour? Good governance my foot.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by fistonme(m): 2:35pm On Feb 20, 2013

as much as i respect ur candid opinion. I disagree with ur point. In a situation like this u can hardly get "unadulterated journalism". Like u earlier pointed out it was agreed that the state would host the minister and his delegates which is inclusive of journalist. Dont forget the journalist know that it is "seemingly"wrong to bite the hands that fed u not "to talk of it is wrong to talk while eating". Hence how would u espect rational journalism-INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM, from the journalist. From the states the good governance tour have visited, have u heard of any form of critism? Yet we know it is not all rossy in these states. Taking Abia state as a case study.
Re: Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour by funshint(m): 2:36pm On Feb 20, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sanusi Undergoes Secret Surgery In France - LEGISREPORTS / Saraki To Launch Made In Nigeria Challenge In January / Anti-Open Grazing Bill Scales Second Reading In Akwa Ibom Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.