Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,523 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! (4059 Views)

My Uncle's Wife Served Him Food Without Kneeling Down; Disrepectful!! / My Husband Has Idolised Me And Now I'm Fed Up. Need Help / My Wife Spends Money On Her Parents And Sibling Without My Consent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by kunmibola(m): 1:25pm On Feb 20, 2013
Friends kindly advise me on this.
Recently, my wife went for a job screening with our two-month old baby but the exercise was very stressful and lasted for about two days. Meanwhile, my wife was always keeping our baby with a family friend who works in the comlex and she goes at intervals to breastfeed her. On the third day, our friend was not around and I never knew my wife had consulted an Aunt of hers who lived around to come and take over while she was busy. I went to pick them up later and the Aunt told me she had fed the baby FOR THE 1ST TIME with baby food. I found it rather unsettling and shocking. We never planned on feeding the baby any other thing apart from breastmilk for 4months atleast. I was angry but I hid my anger but deep down me, I have neither forgotten nor forgiven even my wife cos she didnt sound disturbed. Guys, I am thinking of reporting this to a respected member of the family to avert any similar occurence in the future. Also, is there any medical implication on this baby? I am very disturbed!
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by Nobody: 2:33pm On Feb 20, 2013
Better not report anything to your "respected family member".Are you not a man?can't you handle your family squabbles like a man?if you report something as insignificant as this to a family member then you must be working with Sahara reporters,wtf?Since the child is not sick yet,what are you working yourself up for??just tell your wife that you won't want a repeat of such incident and that's that,instead of running off to report to some people who could barely tidy their own family Bleep ups.No one can claim custody to marital wisdom,so pilot your boat like normal men do.

Baby food will not kill your child once the food was not infected,how do babies that lost their mums feed??Baby formulas!!!!!Take a chill pill.

9 Likes

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by olekubaby: 2:38pm On Feb 20, 2013
wHY CANT YOU CALL YOUR WIFE AND ASK WHY SHE FED THE BABY TIN MILK?

COMMUNICATE
WITH YOUR WIFE, PLS HABA AM SURE SHE DINT DO IT INTENTIONALLY.
STOP BEING IRRATIONAL. WHAT HAPPENED CAN BE SETTLED WITHOUT A 3RD PARTY.

BEST OF LUCK
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by donbuchi1(m): 3:01pm On Feb 20, 2013
Take a chill pill abeg.

If your wife is not a house wife, feeding your baby with baby formula is expected.
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 20, 2013
I can understand where the OP's coming from. I would not feed a 2-month-old baby ANY sort of food, without first consulting one of the parents. Some babies have allergies, some babies have an intolerance to certain formulas, some can only keep Soya-based down, and react to Cow's milk.

If the baby had a reaction, that Aunt wouldn't know what to do. I'm sure she acted with the best of intentions, so simply tell her politely you're not sure what formula's are okay for her, as she's been fed exclusively on breastmilk since birth. And please, don't involve any family members - this is your call, the baby's yours. Simply let your wife know you're not happy with your baby being formula fed, and fed by someone other than herself.

2 Likes

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by feminineA: 4:09pm On Feb 20, 2013
@op there's no problem. Let your wife continue with her exclusive.
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by kunmibola(m): 4:17pm On Feb 20, 2013
@All
Thanks so very much but let me just clarify some issues here...
1. I am a man and im capable of handling my domestic issues wthout involving a third party but what would u do to a persistently troublesome inlaw like this. She is always causing 'controversies' and being respectful enough, I try to avoid confrontations.
2. My wife and I were not even around when it happened. She bought the food and the feeding 'apparatus'. Atleast, she should have consulted us.
3. I am not irrational. My wife, for now, is a housewife and we have not even the breasfeeding issue up. WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO IF U WERE IN MY SHOES?
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by achinaboy(m): 4:22pm On Feb 20, 2013
kunmibola: Friends kindly advise me on this.
Recently, my wife went for a job screening with our two-month old baby but the exercise was very stressful and lasted for about two days. Meanwhile, my wife was always keeping our baby with a family friend who works in the comlex and she goes at intervals to breastfeed her. On the third day, our friend was not around and I never knew my wife had consulted an Aunt of hers who lived around to come and take over while she was busy. I went to pick them up later and the Aunt told me she had fed the baby FOR THE 1ST TIME with baby food. I found it rather unsettling and shocking. We never planned on feeding the baby any other thing apart from breastmilk for 4months atleast. I was angry but I hid my anger but deep down me, I have neither forgotten nor forgiven even my wife cos she didnt sound disturbed. Guys, I am thinking of reporting this to a respected member of the family to avert any similar occurence in the future. Also, is there any medical implication on this baby? I am very disturbed!
i have a month and half baby,she takes both baby food and mum milk,there is no problem with that
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by Nobody: 5:46pm On Feb 20, 2013
I can understand your frustration OP and I would be mad too if someone had bought formula and bottles and fed it to my exclusively breastfed child against my wish. I am confused if your wife is a stay at home mom why is she dropping off the baby? Also did she pump and leave some breast milk for the aunt to feed the baby with? Maybe your baby was really hungry and crying. If she's going to leave the baby, she has to provide spare breast milk in case baby gets hungry.

Congrats on planning to exclusively breastfeed. You have made the best decision for your baby. She will be fine with the formula though. No major medical concerns to worry about at this point.

If the aunt is so troublesome, don't send your baby there anymore or she will continue to undermine your parenting decisions.

1 Like

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by tpia5: 6:37pm On Feb 20, 2013
feminine A: @op there's no problem. Let your wife continue with her exclusive.

^^
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by baby124: 6:48pm On Feb 20, 2013

Na wah! Daddy of the year, take it easy o. All of this because your baby ate formula. Isnt your wife hustling around because of the family? At least your baby did not go hungry. If you were this passionate about the 4months thing, you should have asked her to stay home for 2 more months. Even going as far as reporting to the family because of breast feeding. If she gets a job now now, baby will manage with formula o. Priorities, priorities. Also try to resolve your differences within your home. Stop taking every small matter outside. Your wife is not a block head, am sure you both can talk and compromise. Dont you see women here who say they cant produce enough milk for their babies? Besides it is her body, she will do what is best for her and the baby, considering the circumstance she finds herself. Baby is just fine. It makes me laugh and makes me happy to see daddies so concerned and involved. But take it easy abeg. Your little angel will not die or become retarded.

3 Likes

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by greatgod2012(f): 7:54pm On Feb 20, 2013
Im happy for you for been so involved in your child's care.
There is no problem/harm with feeding your baby with infant formular, i can almost swear that d aunty that did it, did it with good intention, however, your wife can still continue with d exclusive breastfeeding.
When i had my firsy baby, about 6 weeks after, i had to sit for a promotional examination, which i couldnt afford to miss, i left dbaby with my MIL, and she told me that after my baby exhausted d bosom milk i extracted for him, and was still crying, she had to buy infant formular for him, i thanked her, even though, i didnt expect it to be that way, d next day, i continued with my exclusive breastfeeding for my baby and there was no problem, d boy is here now asking me what i always typing. So let your mind be at rest, it is well with you, it is well with your baby, it is well with your wife and all your loved ones.
As regards your inlaw, who is troublesome.......give her her space.....simple.
May God help us all.

3 Likes

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by kunmibola(m): 1:03am On Feb 21, 2013
*sighing*
Thanks so very much, guys . My God be with you all!
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by Nobody: 1:48am On Feb 21, 2013
OP grin you're just like my man when it comes to his kids.
My MIL did it one day I was out( hairdo lipsrsealed) ,she gave an excuse that the expressed bre ast milk is not filling and he ( hubby) nagged all day ( doesn't want to confront her in my presence), he eventually told her not to try it again( I pretended I was in the shower wink), both of them did silent treatment all week grin( avoided each other undecided).... me it didn't bother me that much, its a temporary stay anyways, the baby will survive grin... It's annoying tho, like somebody is crossing his/ her boundary.

Sorry OP , stuff happens.next time tell her it's doctors order.

1 Like

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by Nobody: 7:33am On Feb 21, 2013

6 Likes

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by Nobody: 9:17am On Feb 21, 2013
@cc sometimes we need a break too you know? grin Also I presume the aunt is like a 'know all' character, but OP @ cc is right,next time for safety precautions, leave all bottles sterilized lipsrsealed , worry less ( like I've said, the baby will survive). Chill out men grin
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by Nobody: 9:42am On Feb 21, 2013
@ Poster . . .
Have you ever been stuck with a really hungry 2-month old?
Their tiny voice screaming in hunger, their little lips quivering and their tiny body shaking angrily . .abeg who won't look for a 'sharp sharp' way to pacify them?
Maybe she should heave consulted you first but it's really no big deal.
What would your have done? Your wife was unavailable and the baby was crying. In the end, you would have approved. A bottle of SMA wont kill him.
If you cared that much, you would have taken the day off and stayed with your baby to make sure no 'Aunty' crosses her boundary.
This is just your bruised ego shouting for help . . I think you owe your in-law an apology.

2 Likes

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by kunmibola(m): 12:44pm On Feb 21, 2013
@CC, pls don't mix things up. They were not away for three days rather, the exercise lasted for 3days. During the exercise I was almost always around the baby which is always in the care of my wife's friend who works in the complex. Once the baby cries, the lady would call my wife to come attend to her. Most times, the baby is always sleeping especially during the day. The day my inlaw came around, I was even th eone who took her to where my baby was after which I called my wife to come greet her. I left there and I returned after like thirty mins to see the feeding bottle with the food. My wife was nt even busy then cos I called her to come. Hence, had it been the baby was crying they could have contacted her to come. The issue is, this woman came with the intention of feeding the baby. I dnt have any issue with my wife but the woman... The is too troublesome!
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by emilyone(f): 12:57pm On Feb 21, 2013
which complex are you emphasizing on sef, shey na Ikota Shopping complex abi na Sura shopping complex? grin
Daddy of the millennium grin
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by kunmibola(m): 1:27pm On Feb 21, 2013
emilyone: which complex are you emphasizing on sef, shey na Ikota Shopping complex abi na Sura shopping complex? grin
Daddy of the millennium grin
Are u jealous?
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by Nobody: 1:34pm On Feb 21, 2013

2 Likes

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by damiso(f): 3:27pm On Feb 21, 2013
Meanwhile my own hubby is asking when are you going to stop breast feeding this boy?Hen i want my wife and bed back grin.

I dont think its much of a big deal as most women have said here.My daughter was exclusively breast fed for 6 months but my son started combination feeding from 3 months cos the boy too like food.And this was with me being at home fully for 9 months.I dont think its a big issue that warrants unforgiveness.No vex for the aunty sometimes older people think they know best when it comes to babies.I was not breastfed AT ALL as my mum said cos she says she did not lactate at all.So to her all this my exclusive is just story story.And cos i have 1 yr maternity leave smiley.She kept saying oni fun omo yi ni food ni,oyon yii oyo(wont u give this boy formula this breastmilk is not filling him).But cos I was the one in charge with no work or job interview to rush to,i managed to push it to 3 months.

If you dont want issues like that in the future maybe you should look at being in charge when your wife is not available.

3 Likes

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by coldgate(f): 11:18pm On Feb 21, 2013
@ poster: irresponsibility is not providing adequately for your child especially when you are outa sight. I sincerely doubt any sensible adult will go out of their way to procure baby food for an exclusively breastfed baby if sufficient provision was made i.e expressed breastmilk stored for the baby. Next time do the right thing and you may not need to complain.

2 Likes

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by StateOfMind: 11:26am On Feb 22, 2013
kunmibola: @CC, pls don't mix things up. They were not away for three days rather, the exercise lasted for 3days. During the exercise I was almost always around the baby which is always in the care of my wife's friend who works in the complex. Once the baby cries, the lady would call my wife to come attend to her. Most times, the baby is always sleeping especially during the day. The day my inlaw came around, I was even th eone who took her to where my baby was after which I called my wife to come greet her. I left there and I returned after like thirty mins to see the feeding bottle with the food. My wife was nt even busy then cos I called her to come. Hence, had it been the baby was crying they could have contacted her to come. The issue is, this woman came with the intention of feeding the baby. I dnt have any issue with my wife but the woman... The is too troublesome!

Where did the inlaw in question get the feeding bottle and food? Did she come with it from her house with the intention to feed your baby with it? I'm lost here please.
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by kunmibola(m): 4:25pm On Feb 22, 2013
@StateOfMind
Thats exactly where my problem is. She just bought the food and the bottle, I guess, on her way to the place... She met me nd I took her to where the baby was but she didnt even bring the issue up until I left.
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 22, 2013
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by Nobody: 5:11pm On Feb 22, 2013
chaircover:

I beleive that there is something your wife is not telling you!!!

How did the aunty know which brand of food to buy for the baby?

How did the aunty sterilize the bottle after purchase?

How did the aunty get boiled water to make up the feed?

How many people go to look after a baby ready armed with a feeding bottle and formula?

@CC .... you have no idea what some people do... thank God for your own.
@bolded makes me laugh, of course formula is filling and makes babies sleep longer, mi o le wa ku.
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by JoannaSedley(f): 5:40pm On Feb 22, 2013
Op, i think you are the only one worried about exclusive breastfeeding here, cos from the whole write up i think your wife is backing out. If so, sorry for you cos you ain't got no boobbs and you can't force her.
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by GamblinQueen: 4:23am On Feb 28, 2013

Dear Dad:
You have more important things to worry about.
Getting your undies in a knot about the baby being fed baby food is trivial.
I could understand if the baby had been given alcohol or not fed.
But you need to realize that when it comes to the care of a baby ideas vary.
If you and your wife were as committed to breastmilk only for the baby, then the aunt would not have had to feed the baby food. You both would have made sure there was enough breastmilk available.

When I had my first child, she was born premature. She had to stay in the hospital for a month.
During that time I pumped so much breastmilk the nurses asked me to stop bringing it in and by the time my daughter was released I had a freezer full of frozen breastmilk.

If you had said that the baby was in a soaking poop filled diaper or that the baby was dehydrated then I'd be concerned. But your aunt did what was necessary to keep your child comfortable. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Heck had it been me, I'd have fed the baby oatmeal. Why? Because it holds them and so far every baby I've had the pleasure of taking care of loves the stuff. cheesy lol

If anything you should thank the aunt for willingly watching the baby on such short notice. Remember she did your family a favor. I'm gonna presume this is your first baby..... grin lol

Trust me, by the time the second, third, ect... child arrive, you could care less what they are fed as long as they are fed. grin

4 Likes

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by blazingtrain: 3:33pm On Feb 28, 2013
shocked shocked cheesy
Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by Paulaok4(f): 10:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
Make I find trouble, na the same girl when you de lament say you disvirgin, na ask I ask Ooº°˚ .
On a serious note, do not blame your wife or hold it against her, as there was nothing she could have done to change what had happened. Maybe you guys should try expressing some breast milk for such emergencies.

2 Likes

Re: My 2month-old Baby Fed Baby Food Without My Consent! by vanbonattel: 9:07am On Mar 23, 2013
The evils of a working mother......... grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Don't Last Long In Bed. Never Reach Round 3 Before. / Nigerian Oil Tycoon Loses £17.5m Divorce Battle / Alarming Trend I Observed In Kid Channels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.