Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? (12289 Views)

16th Century Ottoman Ad For An Imam Vacancy / Dawah: The Activism Of The 21st Century - Yusuf Chambers / Islam, Media And The 21st Century (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by bintalabi(f): 1:56pm On Feb 21, 2013
capricon: @op how can u be soon myopic? You are here talking about Muslims in the 21st century and the need for them to embrace what? Islam? Are you kidding me or what. I know for sure that u are not arab but a full fledged black African so why don't u go back to ur reall roots huh. Bloody hypocrite

islam for muslims, ao does this thread affect u?
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Anvaller: 2:03pm On Feb 21, 2013
BetaThings:

This is an open forum. Not everyone is in A levels. Some of us are just learning the basics
The harder worker you speak of begins by your posting the evidence, rather than conducting a test
But I reckon that you are talking about dua for the dead
Basically, we start by talking about Janazzah. That is what every individual muslim deserves. There is proof for that.
And what we recite during janazzah includes dua for that dead person

As for dua for dead muslims. I don't recall any one that is specific, but there is one that is general
"Oh Allah forgive Muslims (male and female), the true believers (male and female), dead and alive"

As much as I really really hate quoting out of context, ur response compelled me to do it for now so I would just give some verses here...

"The heavens above them almost shatter, out of reverence for Him, and the angels praise and glorify their Lord, and they ask forgiveness for those on earth. Absolutely, God is the Forgiver, Most Merciful." 42:5

This verse is letting us know that forgiveness is only for those on earth. U would know that God mentions "the heaven and the earth and all in between" in several verses in the Quran, if in this verse, the angels are only asking for forgiveness for those on the earth, this shows apparently that forgiveness is no more relevant if u are no more on earth otherwise the angels would have included ... and the heaven and hell in their prayers.

"O you who believe, you shall give to charity from the provisions we have given to you, before a day comes where there is no trade, no nepotism, and no intercession. The disbelievers are the unjust." 2:254

This verse further reflects the imperative of doing the righteous before ur death. After ur death no trade no nepotism.

"Should My servants ask you about Me, I am always near. I answer their prayers when they implore Me. Thus they should respond to Me and believe in me, so that they may be guided." 2:186

This verse is actually reflecting the essence of prayer... which is to seek for guidance from God so that u will be guided on ur actions while on earth so u may enter heaven. We undertake no further actions at death of course, so no more guidance.

Like I said... I would have loved to write a very detailed well explained article rather than just quoting verses.. I don't like simply quoting out of context in order not to leave any doubt. But I am doing this from work so I dont have much time. I usually do my researches for my personal knowledge and understanding of the True Islam and not to evangelize. So I am sorry if u are not satisfied with the amount of proofs that I brought. But there are a lot more if y can take ur time to research these little but so fundamental things.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by abdul23(m): 2:03pm On Feb 21, 2013
Dawdy: How can A sane Muslim wish such A person RIP? The person who exposed her Body, who sang Haram Song. many palestinians are killed unjustly every day. Muslims dont have time to pray for them, but they do for A wayward musician.
And we begin to wonder, why the prayers of the ummah is going unanswerable.we muslims have a lot to do.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by maclatunji: 2:07pm On Feb 21, 2013
bintalabi: to the moderators of islamic threads, pls for Allah's sake u need to begin to hide more posts n barn as many as possible people from makin comments because most of them derail the topic,call Allah names,insult His prophet and the original benefits n messeges of the threads are lost

My sister just use the report link to inform moderators of such offending posts.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Anvaller: 2:08pm On Feb 21, 2013
deols:

did u reread before posting?

stop the follow follow and stop making it seem normal

I dont get what u mean... my intention is clear. I don't know ur own intention. Why not expound?
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 4:03pm On Feb 21, 2013
Anvaller:

As much as I really really hate quoting out of context, ur response compelled me to do it for now so I would just give some verses here...

"The heavens above them almost shatter, out of reverence for Him, and the angels praise and glorify their Lord, and they ask forgiveness for those on earth. Absolutely, God is the Forgiver, Most Merciful." 42:5

This verse is letting us know that forgiveness is only for those on earth. U would know that God mentions "the heaven and the earth and all in between" in several verses in the Quran, if in this verse, the angels are only asking for forgiveness for those on the earth, this shows apparently that forgiveness is no more relevant if u are no more on earth otherwise the angels would have included ... and the heaven and hell in their prayers.

"O you who believe, you shall give to charity from the provisions we have given to you, before a day comes where there is no trade, no nepotism, and no intercession. The disbelievers are the unjust." 2:254

This verse further reflects the imperative of doing the righteous before ur death. After ur death no trade no nepotism.

"Should My servants ask you about Me, I am always near. I answer their prayers when they implore Me. Thus they should respond to Me and believe in me, so that they may be guided." 2:186

This verse is actually reflecting the essence of prayer... which is to seek for guidance from God so that u will be guided on ur actions while on earth so u may enter heaven. We undertake no further actions at death of course, so no more guidance.

Like I said... I would have loved to write a very detailed well explained article rather than just quoting verses.. I don't like simply quoting out of context in order not to leave any doubt. But I am doing this from work so I dont have much time. I usually do my researches for my personal knowledge and understanding of the True Islam and not to evangelize. So I am sorry if u are not satisfied with the amount of proofs that I brought. But there are a lot more if y can take ur time to research these little but so fundamental things.

These are the opening words of one of the versions of the Janazah prayer

"Allahummaghfirli hayyina wa mayyitina"
So here forgiveness is being sought for both the living and the dead

So what you are saying that it is incorrect.

And this one too

"Allahumagfirlil muminina wal muminaat, wal muslimina wal muslimaat al ahyai minhum wal amwaat"

The Qur'an has this too

"Our Lord! Forgive us, and our brethren who came before us into the Faith"
Qur'an 59: 10
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 4:06pm On Feb 21, 2013
Nuzo':

"Wahhabism (Arabic: وهابية‎, Wahhābiyyah) is an ultra-conservative[1] branch of Sunni Islam.[2][3] It is a religious movement among fundamentalist Islamic believers, with an aspiration to return to the earliest fundamental Islamic sources of the Quran and Hadith, with inspiration from the teachings of Medieval theologian Ibn Taymiyyah and early jurist Ahmad ibn Hanbal".

I have no problem with what you have defined. Islam is conservative (no mingling of se.x.es, women cover up etc). No problem
I am satisfied with
fundamentalism (basic principles),
sources of the Qur'an and Hadith
and Scholars whose commitment to Islam (rather than innovation - "follow follow" and those who want to substitute what they wish for what the Prophet (PBUH) left for us)
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by skyfall: 4:10pm On Feb 21, 2013
Let me get it. So you're issuing a fatwa condemning people because they're saddened by Goldie's death and pray for her. Haba, this is fanaticism! If you don't want to be 21st century people, then you should ride donkeys and not use any modern-day amenities. I guess that's Boko Haram's kind of hypocrisy. You deny modernism and yet enjoy everything it provides.

That's my problem with religionism. "...My god is better than yours." It makes you hate and judge people simply because they do not share your beliefs. I am sad that Goldie died, not because I particularly love her but simply because she's a human like me. And that's what unites us all. Na wa o!

1 Like

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by donwilz(m): 4:18pm On Feb 21, 2013
I can't remember you @op creating a thread when thousands are killed by terrorists... mtchew.. talk about misplaced priorities.. wasting some brain cells... Isn't she human?
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by deols(f): 4:26pm On Feb 21, 2013
Nuzo':

"Wahhabism (Arabic: وهابية‎, Wahhābiyyah) is an ultra-conservative[1] branch of Sunni Islam.[2][3] It is a religious movement among fundamentalist Islamic believers, with an aspiration to return to the earliest fundamental Islamic sources of the Quran and Hadith, with inspiration from the teachings of Medieval theologian Ibn Taymiyyah and early jurist Ahmad ibn Hanbal".

I have always called myself a Muslim without ascribing a sect but your definition sounds exactly like what I perceive as the true Islam. the Conservative Islam based on the fundamental islamic sources. who doesnt want to be d Muslim that follows this way of life?
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by dammytosh: 4:40pm On Feb 21, 2013
skyfall: Let me get it. So you're issuing a fatwa condemning people because they're saddened by Goldie's death and pray for her. Haba, this is fanaticism! If you don't want to be 21st century people, then you should ride donkeys and not use any modern-day amenities. I guess that's Boko Haram's kind of hypocrisy. You deny modernism and yet enjoy everything it provides.

That's my problem with religionism. My god is better than yours. It makes you hate and judge people simply because they do not share your beliefs. I am sad that Goldie died, not because I particularly love her but simply because she's a human like me. And that's what unites us all. Na wa o!

Tell them.

Can you imagine the title "Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim" another way of saying "Start being a muslim extremist".

2 Likes

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 4:58pm On Feb 21, 2013
skyfall: Let me get it. So you're issuing a fatwa condemning people because they're saddened by Goldie's death and pray for her. Haba, this is fanaticism! If you don't want to be 21st century people, then you should ride donkeys and not use any modern-day amenities. I guess that's Boko Haram's kind of hypocrisy. You deny modernism and yet enjoy everything it provides.

That's my problem with religionism. My god is better than yours. It makes you hate and judge people simply because they do not share your beliefs. I am sad that Goldie died, not because I particularly love her but simply because she's a human like me. And that's what unites us all. Na wa o!

Please, Sir, where is the fatwa?
And please where is the recommendation not to use 21st century amenities
Muslims use loudspeakers to make the call to prayer. But we don't use it to join a congregational prayer from home or live on Tv.
The issue is that we want to be left alone to practise our deen the way we know it and want it
Since we don't seek to influence the way others conduct their own religious/non-religious service, we don't think it is too much to expect
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 4:58pm On Feb 21, 2013
dammytosh:

Tell them.
Can you imagine the title "Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim" another way of saying "Start being a muslim extremist".
But we are not "telling you"!
So we might actually have issues with people telling us how to practise our religion
The Senate said we don't tell any other country how to lead their lives, so they will not tell us how to define marriage in our country. They can keep their aids.
Those aids-giver are still mounting pressure though
So that is what our approach is likely to be

As for being an extremist why is the Redeemed Christian Church of God that is devoted to fundamental principles of Christianity not regarded as "Christian extremists"
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 5:04pm On Feb 21, 2013
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Jaideyone(m): 5:39pm On Feb 21, 2013
Lmao so all of a sudden our muslim brothers are tired of doing follow follow? undecided Please don't be tired. Islam as a religion itself is a product of follow follow grin or haven't you guys noticed the glaring similarities between the quran and the bible (a book that was written at least 400 years before mohamed was born) Plagiarism toh badt grin the truth is bitter but i detest islam as a religion cos it's synonymous with retrogression!!! Yeah the truth is bitter but i've said already angry now u can ban me till 2015 like you did to my alt account

1 Like

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by kukus01(m): 6:19pm On Feb 21, 2013
walks away quietly before a bomb goes off!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 6:46pm On Feb 21, 2013
kukus01: walks away quietly before a bomb goes off!!! lipsrsealed
Actually all the bombs were manufactured by non-muslims
Ironical isn't it?
BTW - this is page 4. All your friends have been here and were well treated (ate, drank, took chocolate etc)
Nothing to fear. Time for you to seriously consider taking the Shahada

2 Likes

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Akiika: 6:51pm On Feb 21, 2013
Dawdy: How can A sane Muslim wish such A person RIP? The person who exposed her Body, who sang Haram Song. many palestinians are killed unjustly every day. Muslims dont have time to pray for them, but they do for A wayward musician.
So, she shouldn't rest in peace because she is a non-muslim. So, you are so convinced that she'll go to hell while you go to heaven. I wonder where you get all these crazy fatwas that supports unneccesary belligerence.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by emcemayo: 7:02pm On Feb 21, 2013
Interesting thread but the OP makes sense, may Allah guide us
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by ckkris: 8:07pm On Feb 21, 2013
[quote author=maclatunji]

No, you posted a link that says Islam is a 'bad' religion and claimed you want to educate people about 'moderate muslims'.

If you are going to post antiIslamic links, don't lie about it. That will get you a ban from me. Don't pretend to be a Muslim here to post offensive content.[/quo

Are you afraid of criticisms?
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by jookco(m): 8:18pm On Feb 21, 2013
How come muslims are always angry?, always ready to fight and kill non muslims?, how come muslims fight for Allah the almighty God instead of Allah fighting for them and yet its called the religion of peace and we have conflict in almost every muslim nation of the world today?,. I hope i just asked a simple question and have not insulted the almighty allah and no need of to bumb churches.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Paschal007: 8:27pm On Feb 21, 2013
BetaThings:
Actually all the bombs were manufactured by non-muslims
Ironical isn't it?
BTW - this is page 4. All your friends have been here and were well treated (ate, drank, took chocolate etc)
Nothing to fear. Time for you to seriously consider taking the Shahada
Shut up, muslims terrorists manufacture their own IEDS. Are you really that ignorant? undecided

1 Like

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Paschal007: 8:28pm On Feb 21, 2013
Who hid my post and left the insult that silly girl directed at me?

1 Like

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Nuzo1(m): 8:31pm On Feb 21, 2013
BetaThings:

I have no problem with what you have defined. Islam is conservative (no mingling of se.x.es, women cover up etc). No problem
I am satisfied with
fundamentalism (basic principles),
sources of the Qur'an and Hadith
and Scholars whose commitment to Islam (rather than innovation - "follow follow" and those who want to substitute what they wish for what the Prophet (PBUH) left for us)

If you think being a conservative muslim or a Wahabbist is just seperating sexes and covering faces...then you are no different from those so-called moderate muslim.

And what do mean by follow follow?

deols:
I have always called myself a Muslim without ascribing a sect but your definition sounds exactly like what I perceive as the true Islam. the Conservative Islam based on the fundamental islamic sources. who doesnt want to be d Muslim that follows this way of life?

I will appreciate it if you can read up the entire wikipedia on Wahabbism. Then give me your opinion.

I want to learn.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by ckkris: 9:04pm On Feb 21, 2013
BetaThings:
But we are not "telling you"!
So we might actually have issues with people telling us how to practise our religion
The Senate said we don't tell any other country how to lead their lives, so they will not tell us how to define marriage in our country. They can keep their aids.
Those aids-giver are still mounting pressure though
So that is what our approach is likely to be

As for being an extremist why is the Redeemed Christian Church of God that is devoted to fundamental principles of Christianity not regarded as "Christian extremists"

RCCG does not throw bombs.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 12:04am On Feb 22, 2013
ckkris:

RCCG does not throw bombs.
Nor do most muslims
Otherwise this conversation would be taking place from our graves
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 12:13am On Feb 22, 2013
Nuzo':

If you think being a conservative muslim or a Wahabbist is just seperating sexes and covering faces...then you are no different from those so-called moderate muslim.

And what do mean by follow follow?
I will appreciate it if you can read up the entire wikipedia on Wahabbism. Then give me your opinion.
I want to learn.

And did I say that was all?. You saw clearly the etc on my post but ignored it
You guys seem to think we know so little about Islam
Rather than wasting your time on Wikipedia, I can lend you books actually penned by Shayk Mohammed Abdul Wahhab or those written about him by both Muslims and non-Muslims. That is if you truly want to learn

Muslims know where to take their deen from. We don't follow people who want us to practise according to their taste
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 12:31am On Feb 22, 2013
Paschal007: Shut up, muslims terrorists manufacture their own IEDS. Are you really that ignorant? undecided

Since you know so much, you should know that IEDs are quite diverse in use, composition, deployment. Who taught them? Who supply some of the components? Tell us the history of IEDS

Please read this too. Devout Christians and "God's work"

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/us-military-weapons-inscribed-secret-jesus-bible-codes/story?id=9575794

"Coded references to New Testament Bible passages (2 Corinthians 4:6) about Jesus Christ are inscribed on high-powered rifle sights provided to the U.S. military by a Michigan company, an ABC News investigation has found.

The sights are used by U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and in the training of Iraqi and Afghan soldiers. The maker of the sights, Trijicon, has a $660 million multi-year contract to provide up to 800,000 sights to the Marine Corps, and additional contracts to provide sights to the U.S. Army. "

The company has said the practice began under its founder, Glyn Bindon, a devout Christian from South Africa who was killed in a 2003 plane crash.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by MacDaddy01: 12:51am On Feb 22, 2013
BetaThings:

Since you know so much, you should know that IEDs are quite diverse in use, composition, deployment. Who taught them? Who supply some of the components? Tell us the history of IEDS

Please read this too. Devout Christians and "God's work"

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/us-military-weapons-inscribed-secret-jesus-bible-codes/story?id=9575794

What are you arguing? The islamic terrorists make some of their own weapons to. Same as the christians. Even if the christians are better at producing, it is no consequence to the original argument., BOTH HANDS ARE DIRTY

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Ways To Be A Real Friend / Types Of Marriage Practiced In Islam / 12 Things You Can Do With Your Sallah Ram (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.