Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,827 members, 7,956,132 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:21 AM

Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? (12497 Views)

16th Century Ottoman Ad For An Imam Vacancy / Dawah: The Activism Of The 21st Century - Yusuf Chambers / Islam, Media And The 21st Century (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 11:49am On Feb 21, 2013
TCD:

We don't see you jokers making this same amount of noise when Islamic Terrorists crash planes into buildings and blow up innocent people in the name of Allah. Jeez, Talk about dangerous mindset.

You people really need to get your priorities right.

We did here

https://www.nairaland.com/381867/ensuring-zero-tolerance-every-type

Mod
Put the thread on the front page for them to see
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Nobody: 11:51am On Feb 21, 2013
BetaThings:

Islam is perfect and commands us to enjoing good and forbid the bad
It is easy to judge what is good or bad. Murder, arson, backbiting, insurrection, indecency are things we are reminded every Friday to shun

when will people like you ever see beyond religion and begin to see every human being created by God almighty in heaven as a brother, a sister and a neighbor.
leave God to be the judge and stop rejoicing in the death of another human.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by indoorlove(m): 11:53am On Feb 21, 2013
Zither: Please, moderators, stop posting topics of extreme sensitivity to the front page. Religious differences have proved to be potential powder keg that fuels deep-seated bias. STOP POSTING TOPICS RELATED TO RELIGION ON THE FRONT PAGE!
Best reply so far...
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 11:58am On Feb 21, 2013
rafhell:

when will people like you ever see beyond religion and begin to see every human being created by God almighty in heaven as a brother, a sister and a neighbor.

You will not catch me wishing evil on people who are not muslims
I will not just on the basis of one post explaining a position assume that the person is a murderer
I have never spilled anyone's blood and I pray never to do so, accidentally or otherwise
I have Christian colleagues and neighbours. They can vouch for me and I can vouch for some of them.
Indeed I know one Christian friend who can lay his life down for me
However, I will not relent in trying to bring that friend to Islam. But if he refuses I will not pray for him upon death
My friend believes too that I will go to hell unless I regard Jesus (AS) as God. fair enough. But to me only Allah is God
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by tarryT(m): 12:00pm On Feb 21, 2013
babayamani: There is nothing like moderate muslims, you are a muslim or not, the Prophet and Messenger of Allah and his Sahabas (companions) are muslims, and Islam beyond the changes of time and centuries.
.... "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam".... Am tempted to agree with you, there is no difference between a "moderate", "core" and "extremist" muslims. Those that bomb theirselfs for Allah and those that secretly clap for the bombers, the potencial bombers and those that 'condem' the bombers have one identity "islam--a-bad".... Islam is beyond change of time...
Seun,..is this offensive? Cos everythin seems offensive to muslims..

RIP Goldie.

1 Like

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by usayab(m): 12:01pm On Feb 21, 2013
tbaba1234:

I do not think that is the point, he is trying to make. There are certain sections of the muslim population with a dangerous mindset that involves accepting certain things that are totally unacceptable in the religion. They do this in the name of modernism e.t.c.

tell them o!. Abeg!
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by wazobiaforu(m): 12:06pm On Feb 21, 2013
First and foremost i want to nullify this picture, Nairaland is a social site where everybody is allow to say their mind and if the moderator want to have a rules, then it must be an unbias or self centered rules, if its bad to write anything offensive to islam then its suppose to apply to other religion ..bitter truth

Second, xtian dont believe in praying for the dead, so why must it be ano issue with xtians, RIP is not a prayer but a wish

Thirdly, islam respect the dead, be a muslim or a xtian,pagan or atheist, might not be paying respect to the body but to the soul that was departed from the body.

Allahu halam, God know it all, can anybody tell me where Pharoa is going? Heaven or hellfire?

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 12:07pm On Feb 21, 2013
MacDaddy01:
There are more christian commenters here on Nairaland.

Secondly, you guyz hardly stray out of your islam section into the religion section. The few that do- Vedaxcool and Fooo28, do their neceessary damage

But I have not seen a Christian being cautioned for rude language by another Christian. Muslims do caution fellow muslims
We can calculate the % of members of each religion that engage in vitriolic attacks on other religions
I cannot imagine any Muslim using on Jesus (AS) the type of language Christians deploying while referring to Allah and His Messenger (PBUH)

Let me make this clear. I have no problem with their saying they don't believe in Allah. I don't expect a Christian to take offence when I say I don't believe Jesus (PBUH) is God. Unfortunately some Christians take offence at this.
That means everybody must become a Christian for them to be able to accept that Christianity is not insulted
To make matters worse, these people use a language that I would NEVER use on ordinary Christian (let alone pastors and Prophets) to describe Allah and His messenger (PBUH)
So?

1 Like

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by capricon: 12:22pm On Feb 21, 2013
@op how can u be soon myopic? You are here talking about Muslims in the 21st century and the need for them to embrace what? Islam? Are you kidding me or what. I know for sure that u are not arab but a full fledged black African so why don't u go back to ur reall roots huh. Bloody hypocrite
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by lakefist(m): 12:25pm On Feb 21, 2013
My problem with muslims,they like to judge as if they are God.God is the only Judge please let this lady rest in peace.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by justaqad(m): 12:35pm On Feb 21, 2013
Anvaller:

Look there is no monopoly of understanding of Islam as a religion. Even the renowned islamic scholars argue amongst themselves on topical issues. My question to you, define Islam...
U are saying follow follow? of course no be we muslims dey do follow-follow pass? We do a lot of stuffs that are not in the actual sense Islamic but because majority of other muslims do them, we also do them, errm well, except me and a few others tho. There are more fundamental issues to be brought to the fore and discussed thoroughly other than Goldie or no Goldie... abeg.....

well done...
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by maclatunji: 12:36pm On Feb 21, 2013
BetaThings:

I request you to consider the Christian topics that have made the front page this week
Please count the number of insults directed at Christians by Muslims on those two threads
Now count the number of attacks on Islam/Muslims by Christians on this thread alone

These are just two threads. BTW one of them talks about a matter similar to what this thread is about

https://www.nairaland.com/1188495/fellow-christians-what-happening-us
https://www.nairaland.com/1195406/lent-countdown-40-days-fasting

LOL.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Anvaller: 12:37pm On Feb 21, 2013
BetaThings:

I don't want any Christians praying for me after death. It is simple. I don't need their prayer now, I will not need it after I pass on

Just as if it counts if a muslim prays for you after death These are the things u need to understand to know that it is not worth it raising a lot of dust on some muslims praying for anyone after death, it is just common ignorance, whether a muslim praying for fellow muslim or xtian. I am not saying it is right just as u have seen in my point but the reason to condemn it shouldn't be because she is a non muslim but because it is baseless in any ramification. If you as a muslim wants to help anyone, with ur prayers for any reason, it has to be before the person's death. Once the person is dead, quit praying further, for such further prayers doesn't make any sense. Unless you will be asking God to be partial in his judgement. There is no action of yours that will interfere with God's judgement on any other individual on the day of judgement and vice versa.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by justaqad(m): 12:39pm On Feb 21, 2013
BetaThings:

In Islam, we pray to Allah. It matters ABSOLUTELY NOT what another person thinks about another unless he proves to you with evidence that you are not doing things correctly
We don't care what people in Saudi Arabia think about Muslims in Nigeria so long as we worship Allah correctly wiothout joing idol worship with our activities
No muslim is superior. No muslim can say that yes, I am going to Jannah and this person will end in hellfire
That is for Allah to decide
We can correct people individually based on practice. But we don't just condemn a group based on geography

i must confess you made sense... (hope we will mend fences?)
hehehehehehe
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 12:43pm On Feb 21, 2013
lakefist: My problem with muslims,they like to judge as if they are God.God is the only Judge please let this lady rest in peace.
This too is judgemental. Don't you think so?
Now Muslims are not required to judge the level of faith of anyone
We are required to speak up - for good (selflessness, communal duties etc) and against evil (indecency)
Note that indecency might lead to some crimes. There was once a story on the fp of a mistress murdering all the four children of the man she was having secret affair with
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 12:44pm On Feb 21, 2013
maclatunji:

LOL.

Please put this on the fp
Let us know if they will join the cry or will they call it hypocrisy?

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by maclatunji: 12:44pm On Feb 21, 2013
Anvaller:

Just as if it counts if a muslim prays for you after death These are the things u need to understand to know that it is not worth it raising a lot of dust on some muslims praying for anyone after death, it is just common ignorance, whether a muslim praying for fellow muslim or xtian. I am not saying it is right just as u have seen in my point but the reason to condemn it shouldn't be because she is a non muslim but because it is baseless in any ramification. If you as a muslim wants to help anyone, with ur prayers for any reason, it has to be before the person's death. Once the person is dead, quit praying further, for such further prayers doesn't make any sense. Unless you will be asking God to be partial in his judgement. There is no action of yours that will interfere with God's judgement on any other individual on the day of judgement and vice versa.

Bring proof to back your claim.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by bankoleben(m): 12:45pm On Feb 21, 2013
Dawdy: How can A sane Muslim wish such A person RIP? The person who exposed her Body, who sang Haram Song. many palestinians are killed unjustly every day. Muslims dont have time to pray for them, but they do for A wayward musician.

Hmmm! Of all the people that are unjustly killed everyday it's the 'Palestinians' you're concerned about the most. What of hundreds Nigerians that have been killed by Boko Haram? You think they don't deserve your prayer because they are mostly non-muslim?

3 Likes

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 12:51pm On Feb 21, 2013
justaqad:

i must confess you made sense... (hope we will mend fences?)
hehehehehehe

My problem is not with you. It is with what I consider to be double standard. Muslims are human beings. They will in general not be able to live with "injustice"
Sincerely, it is very, very easy to criticise
If you join other muslims in trying to stay on the right path (that is what I am praying I am able to do), we would not quarrel at all
I want to relate better with muslims and I want to persuade more non-muslims to become muslims. I really have no need for enemies
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by TCD: 12:53pm On Feb 21, 2013
BetaThings:

We did here

Mod
Put the thread on the front page for them to see

Is this a joke? You did with less than 5 responses to the thread started 3 years ago? Does it not show the hypocrisy of majority of muslims?

But if it is a thread on how an american nutjob made a movie on youtube, the whole islam suddenly rises in protest killing people.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 1:15pm On Feb 21, 2013
TCD:

Is this a joke? You did with less than 5 responses to the thread started 3 years ago? Does it not show the hypocrisy of majority of muslims?

But if it is a thread on how an american nutjob made a movie on youtube, the whole islam suddenly rises in protest killing people.

Ok. So here we go
This is critical of America - just 1 comment since Dec. It is no longer on the front page of that section - dead then
https://www.nairaland.com/1136192/moral-injury-new-theory-ptsd

This is critical of America but was on the islamic section for a while before being moved to Foreign affairs. - 1 comment. Dead
https://www.nairaland.com/1020026/american-extremist-groups-commit-most

This too is critical of America. No comment
https://www.nairaland.com/881830/farmers-furious-after-iraq-stops

Do you want me to show more?

You don't seem to want to look at other explanations
This thread is flying because it is on the fp. There were only 3 or 4 comments before it got to the fp
That thread on zero tolerance did not make it
I did not know that the thread existed until I stumbled on it some weeks ago
Within any section, any thread that does not have so much traffic immediately might be pushed to the second page when newer threads are posted in succession
That is typically a death knell because a lot of people don't know the Islamic section and those who do hardly go beyond the front page
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by deols(f): 1:21pm On Feb 21, 2013
Anvaller:

Look there is no monopoly of understanding of Islam as a religion. Even the renowned islamic scholars argue amongst themselves on topical issues. My question to you, define Islam...
U are saying follow follow? of course no be we muslims dey do follow-follow pass? We do a lot of stuffs that are not in the actual sense Islamic but because majority of other muslims do them, we also do them, errm well, except me and a few others tho. There are more fundamental issues to be brought to the fore and discussed thoroughly other than Goldie or no Goldie... abeg.....

did u reread before posting?

stop the follow follow and stop making it seem normal
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by bintalabi(f): 1:22pm On Feb 21, 2013
Paschal007: Let's bomb ourselves to the stone age so we can be less moderate and practice your religion in it's true form shall we? undecided
oponu, se nkan ti won n ba e so niyan? go to amy to give u bomb that u ar tired of u n ur family's existence

1 Like

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by deols(f): 1:22pm On Feb 21, 2013
Abiola MM: This is simple.. Islam preaches peace, teaches peace and is peace itself.
In islamic teachings, there are things you say when a person dies irrespective of who they are (I stand to be corrected), because they've left this world & are in the hereafter, and from teachings, Only God (ALLAH in arabic language) can judge.
So lets put aside this act of extremism and face the fact that she is dead and no living soul knows her faith.

funny how this translates to extremism. You dont know where to draw the line. op is still very much on point and his views are not extreme.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Anvaller: 1:23pm On Feb 21, 2013
maclatunji:

Bring proof to back your claim.

Hey Mac.. If a muslim needs some proof to know this simple truth... well I would say I am surprised. U see we need to work harder in understanding what we are actually doing. I was actually expecting proofs to counter my point so I would establish my proof on that basis and the reason is because there is no revelation that supports praying for dead ppl. There are only revelations that encouraged us to pray for most especially our parents and other believers IN THEIR LIFETIME not after death. Or do u know any?
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by bintalabi(f): 1:28pm On Feb 21, 2013
[quote author=tarryT].... "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam".... Am tempted to agree with you, there is no difference between a "moderate", "core" and "extremist" muslims. Those that bomb theirselfs for Allah and those that secretly clap for the bombers, the potencial bombers and those that 'condem' the bombers have one identity "islam--a-bad".... Islam is beyond change of time...
Seun,..is this offensive? Cos everythin seems offensive to muslims..
ode*1000000, must u comment on islamic post? y not just pass n leave islam for muslisms
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Nuzo1(m): 1:32pm On Feb 21, 2013
In other words, Nigerian muslims should embrace Wahabism? No?
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by UnimkeAk(m): 1:34pm On Feb 21, 2013
Oya lunch break is over... Back to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Betathings back 2 work grin u seem liKe a nice guy and I wouldn't want to fire u.

THREAD CLOSED
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 1:34pm On Feb 21, 2013
Anvaller:

Hey Mac.. If a muslim needs some proof to know this simple truth... well I would say I am surprised. U see we need to work harder in understanding what we are actually doing. I was actually expecting proofs to counter my point so I would establish my proof on that basis and the reason is because there is no revelation that supports praying for dead ppl. There are only revelations that encouraged us to pray for most especially our parents and other believers IN THEIR LIFETIME not after death. Or do u know any?

This is an open forum. Not everyone is in A levels. Some of us are just learning the basics
The harder worker you speak of begins by your posting the evidence, rather than conducting a test
But I reckon that you are talking about dua for the dead
Basically, we start by talking about Janazzah. That is what every individual muslim deserves. There is proof for that.
And what we recite during janazzah includes dua for that dead person

As for dua for dead muslims. I don't recall any one that is specific, but there is one that is general
"Oh Allah forgive Muslims (male and female), the true believers (male and female), dead and alive"
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 1:41pm On Feb 21, 2013
Nuzo':
In other words, Nigerian muslims should embrace Wahabism? No?
What is Wahabism?
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Nuzo1(m): 1:48pm On Feb 21, 2013
BetaThings:
What is Wahabism?

"Wahhabism (Arabic: وهابية‎, Wahhābiyyah) is an ultra-conservative[1] branch of Sunni Islam.[2][3] It is a religious movement among fundamentalist Islamic believers, with an aspiration to return to the earliest fundamental Islamic sources of the Quran and Hadith, with inspiration from the teachings of Medieval theologian Ibn Taymiyyah and early jurist Ahmad ibn Hanbal".
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by bintalabi(f): 1:52pm On Feb 21, 2013
to the moderators of islamic threads, pls for Allah's sake u need to begin to hide more posts n barn as many as possible people from makin comments because most of them derail the topic,call Allah names,insult His prophet and the original benefits n messeges of the threads are lost

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Please , Which Reciter Is The Best To Memorize Quran Myself Via My Phone / THE Sin Of Fornication And Adultery In Islam Part 1 / Reason Why Allah (SWT) Create Mankind In Different Tribes And Colors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.