Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,653 members, 7,823,849 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? (12290 Views)

16th Century Ottoman Ad For An Imam Vacancy / Dawah: The Activism Of The 21st Century - Yusuf Chambers / Islam, Media And The 21st Century (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by malabite3: 10:50am On Feb 21, 2013
erico2k2: Can someone plz define Moderate muslim plzz, we are waiting, and also what behavior is termed non moderate

Most people tem "moderate muslims as those ΐϞ the SW απϑ "non moderate muslims as those ΐϞ the Northern parts of Naija απϑ the middle east.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by MacDaddy01: 10:51am On Feb 21, 2013
The OP is very insulting. Who are you to tell people not to pay respects to Goldie?

I do not agree with Micheal Jackson's lifestyle but I still wished him to rest in peace and his family to find consolation because he was a talented musician.

There might be muslims who respect Goldie for her music but not her style.

This black and white thinking will not last in the 21st century. Goldie is not a muslim and doesnt have to dress and live by your standards. If other muslims or christians choose to mourn her it is their business. The last time I checked, no one said that Goldie was a messiah or some african warrior.

Goldie didnt kill anyone and neither did she oppress people. Better go and focus on some of your brethren that support living Imams and Clerics who cause problems in society with their extremist views. Let he dead rest in peace

6 Likes

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 10:52am On Feb 21, 2013
Mad Cow: But its no surprise that SW muslims have always been considered to be lesser muslims than Northern Muslims na..

And this thread is DEAD ON ARRIVAL.. You cant eat your cake and have it. This is the 21st century. Should you decide to keep living like a cave man in 2013, feel free..

However... Rememeber that; MAN WAS NOT MADE FOR THE LAW, BUT THE LAW FOR MAN. Substitute Religion for the word Law.

In Islam, we pray to Allah. It matters ABSOLUTELY NOT what another person thinks about another unless he proves to you with evidence that you are not doing things correctly
We don't care what people in Saudi Arabia think about Muslims in Nigeria so long as we worship Allah correctly wiothout joing idol worship with our activities
No muslim is superior. No muslim can say that yes, I am going to Jannah and this person will end in hellfire
That is for Allah to decide
We can correct people individually based on practice. But we don't just condemn a group based on geography
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by seguun(m): 10:59am On Feb 21, 2013
@op
You are right, it is better to acknowledge that your iman has droped, then work on it and pray to Allah to help you elevate your iman. But people tend to deceive themselves that they are "modrates" and that they have to make islam appealing. They do this by doing what non muslims and their fellow low iman muslims will commend and not what Allah wants from them. May Allah guide us.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 21, 2013
This is the funny part of religion. Whilst you, the op believes she won't make heaven 'cos she was an unbeliever and led a "wayward" life, most Christians believe you, having not "given your life to Christ" will not make heaven. Most others believe this whole thing is a folklore gone wrong. I think it's better we let God be the ultimate judge. The least anybody can say should be RIP no matter your beliefs.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Anvaller: 11:01am On Feb 21, 2013
tbaba1234:

I do not think that is the point, he is trying to make. There are certain sections of the muslim population with a dangerous mindset that involves accepting certain things that are totally unacceptable in the religion. They do this in the name of modernism e.t.c.

ok..ok ok.. tbaba, good point, but what kind of mindset can be more dangerous than terrorism, suicide bombing, racism, anti education, boko haramism, honor killing etc... all in the name of Islam... so some muslims saying RIP to goldie concerns u more? Whats going on here? Don't misunderstand me, I was never a Goldie's fan. I just think we need to be more real in the way we think.

4 Likes

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 11:02am On Feb 21, 2013
[quote author=Parnassuss]These are kinds of idiots that have kept Islam in the 14th century till date. Most likely, he is hypocrite externalizing his on shortcomings[/quote

Actually we want to remain true to our principles
Some might want to live in the 22nd century by which they take their culture from animals who they claim do same se.x gig. That is their choice
But not within the fold of Islam
The OP might well be hypocrite (May Allah forgive him). But he has done some of us some good by reminding us
we would not insult him on the basis of suspicion. Islam encourages us to avoid suspicion
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 11:02am On Feb 21, 2013
Paschal007: Let's bomb ourselves to the stone age so we can be less moderate and practice your religion in it's true form shall we? undecided

The OP is addressing muslims. He is not addressing the generality of the populace
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 11:04am On Feb 21, 2013
benson19: cn u jes imagin d way u reasonin with ur brain... So na GOLDIE dey kill d palestinians pipo abi?? After u go dey complain of bn jobless aw do u xpect a company 2 employ u with dis kind of a brain...

So because of Isreali attack on Palestinians muslims should not call themselves to correct guidance again
You must remember that some pastors have turned some worshippers back for improper dressing
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by dandadee: 11:05am On Feb 21, 2013
was Goldie a Muslim? just asking
if not..why una dey drink garrison for anoda person hunger
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Dawdy(m): 11:06am On Feb 21, 2013
Abu Talib was prophet Muhammad's uncle. He had been there for Him since His childhood, He took care of Him, He defended prophet against The enemies who wanted to kill Him. But Abu Talib died as Unbeliever, He didn't accept Islam, Prophe Muhammad (Saw) wanted to ask for forgiveness of Allah on His behalf, But Allah forbade Him with the revelation of these verses: Quran
9:113

It is not for the Prophet and those who have
believed to ask forgiveness for the
polytheists, even if they were relatives, after
it has become clear to them that they are
companions of Hellfire.
9:114

And the request of forgiveness of Abraham
for his father was only because of a promise
he hatd made to him. But when it became
apparent to Abraham that his father was an
enemy to Allah , he disassociated himself
from him. Indeed was Abraham
compassionate and patient.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by ffo(m): 11:07am On Feb 21, 2013
musKeeto:

Seun's an atheist...

WHAT PROOF DO YOU HAVE?
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by amiskurie(m): 11:11am On Feb 21, 2013
My mind is an island,I know,yours too I think.its between me and my God,I know,you and your God(s)too I think.(qoute frm me)

"Let not your tongue mention the shame of another.
For you yourself are covered in shame and all men
have tongues." ~Imam Shafi'i Rahimullah
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Mavor: 11:16am On Feb 21, 2013
Walexz02:
...does Seun being a muslim change anything 4rm Nairaland, why do u want the modes to stop moving threads concerning Islam(muslims) to the front page? Must you comment on muslim thread?
If u compare how xtrians derail muslim thread(wt u did nw is an xample) to how muslims derail xtrians threads, you will understand why there is need to place that warning.
You are missing the point. Religious threads dont belong on the frontpage. Simple. Religion is a personal matter for a man or a woman. Open your threads, fine. But not frontpage material. Whether Christian or Muslim. Nairaland was never like this. I know since I've been here long enough.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by IKenn(m): 11:17am On Feb 21, 2013
***RIP Goldie***

*sigh* ..... self righteous hypocrites...
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 11:31am On Feb 21, 2013
Anvaller:

Look there is no monopoly of understanding of Islam as a religion. Even the renowned islamic scholars argue amongst themselves on topical issues. My question to you, define Islam...
U are saying follow follow? of course no be we muslims dey do follow-follow pass? We do a lot of stuffs that are not in the actual sense Islamic but because majority of other muslims do them, we also do them, errm well, except me and a few others tho. There are more fundamental issues to be brought to the fore and discussed thoroughly other than Goldie or no Goldie... abeg.....

What is good is clear. What is wrong is clear. The unclear matters are in-between and should be avoided.
The issue of mourning those who are not Muslims is clear. There is no difference of opinion
BTW I did not know this Goldie. I just used the name to project that she was not a Muslim

We should then encourage muslims not to do follow follow again. We should support those who remind us of such things
We should support those who strive to draw our attention to issues aside the fundamental issues that nobody is addressing
Not doing anything until the "fundamentals" are addressed is a recipe for paralysis
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 11:36am On Feb 21, 2013
Abiola MM: This is simple.. Islam preaches peace, teaches peace and is peace itself.
In islamic teachings, there are things you say when a person dies irrespective of who they are (I stand to be corrected), because they've left this world & are in the hereafter, and from teachings, Only God (ALLAH in arabic language) can judge.
So lets put aside this act of extremism and face the fact that she is dead and no living soul knows her faith.

There is no extremism in saying that Muslims don't mourn dead non-muslims
Prophet Ibrahim (AS) was stopped from praying to Allah in respect of his dead father who was an unbeliever
I actually find it strange that people who denied existence and the rights of Allah while alive would now want His blessings after death
Even the deeds of muslims end upon death except for 3 things
BTW I have stated general principles. I am assuming that "Goldie" was not a muslim
I don't want any Christians praying for me after death. It is simple. I don't need their prayer now, I will not need it after I pass on

2 Likes

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by miccheck57: 11:37am On Feb 21, 2013
Dawdy: How can A sane Muslim wish such A person RIP? The person who exposed her Body, who sang Haram Song. many palestinians are killed unjustly every day. Muslims dont have time to pray for them, but they do for A wayward musician.

Finally.... Your brain has disowned you.... Such a pity
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Jarus(m): 11:38am On Feb 21, 2013
pmc01: It has come to notice that some so-called 'moderate' Muslims have been condemning a fellow Muslim for writing against celebrating late Goldie Harvey, who has been surrounded with controversy in life and in death, as a national icon. I must say it is very unfortunate for this set of people. This is what I think about them:
'Follow-follow no make me get common sense' na im dey worry many of them. Looking critically at their problem, you'll discover it's inferiority complex that has weakened their morale. They are under self-inflicted pressure to always put up that '21st century' Muslim show. May Allah save us from such disastrous calamity. Amiin.
My advice for them is discover their identity before they get irredeemably lost. If you can't stand firmly for Islam, you will eventually end up miserable. It isn't a curse, it's a known fact; you will just find yourself alone, cold in the wilderness eventually.
The time to embrace your natural identity is now!!!

Goldie is not a model of what I want my sister to be.

What century Muslim am I?
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Jarus(m): 11:39am On Feb 21, 2013
dd
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by paris10: 11:39am On Feb 21, 2013
pmc01: It has come to notice that some so-called 'moderate' Muslims have been condemning a fellow Muslim for writing against celebrating late Goldie Harvey, who has been surrounded with controversy in life and in death, as a national icon. I must say it is very unfortunate for this set of people. This is what I think about them:
'Follow-follow no make me get common sense' na im dey worry many of them. Looking critically at their problem, you'll discover it's inferiority complex that has weakened their morale. They are under self-inflicted pressure to always put up that '21st century' Muslim show. May Allah save us from such disastrous calamity. Amiin.
My advice for them is discover their identity before they get irredeemably lost. If you can't stand firmly for Islam, you will eventually end up miserable. It isn't a curse, it's a known fact; you will just find yourself alone, cold in the wilderness eventually.
The time to embrace your natural identity is now!!!

I believe standing firm for Islam means doing the Mali-style, the Boko Haram-style, and the 9-11 style. Must everything be religion to you guys? Can't people just be normal and talk freely without getting jumped? Religion will lead us nowhere, but love will.

I believe in personal relationship with whosoever you pray to. But trying to coerce and brainwash people for fanatical reason is dangerous and catastrophical.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 11:40am On Feb 21, 2013
edreesabiodun: wow... Just wow!!
Please there is nothing strange in this
His tone may be harsh.
Muslims don't celebrate people who don't conform to Islamic moral teachings. It does not matter whether they are dead or alive
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 21, 2013
nairaland should be changed to islamland

1 Like

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by TUMIC(m): 11:41am On Feb 21, 2013
UP ISLAM THE BEST RELIGION!!!
Well we all know the truth.
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Nobody: 11:42am On Feb 21, 2013
who give muslims the right to judge fellow human beings like you.
before you remove the spec on the face of fellow humans you should remove the log of wood in your eyes.
like islam is a perfect religion
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by UnimkeAk(m): 11:43am On Feb 21, 2013
Dawdy: How can A sane Muslim wish such A person RIP? The person who exposed her Body, who sang Haram Song. many palestinians are killed unjustly every day. Muslims dont have time to pray for them, but they do for A wayward musician.

Like I have always said and will continue to say, Religious sentiments and intolerance is the cause of all the major problems in Nigeria. However, only the elites "christians & muslims" try to supress theirs in order to connive and loot our resources.

Wetin Concern Palestine wif Goldie ?

1 Like

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 11:45am On Feb 21, 2013
Mavor: : Please the moderators should stop posting religious threads on the frontpage.

I take it Seun is a muslim. Cos when I wanted to post this, I got this Nairaland message---> "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam."[color=#990000][/color] Meanwhile Christian threads face rubbish left, right and centre. Yet no moderation. Either Seun is a muslim or you have sold out on the free speech and liberal ideals that used to be the bedrock of this site. I don't support religious insult, at the same time I detest censorship of speech and ideas. Anyone who comes to Nairaland and sees comments he or she doesn't like should leave and never come back. Period.

I request you to consider the Christian topics that have made the front page this week
Please count the number of insults directed at Christians by Muslims on those two threads
Now count the number of attacks on Islam/Muslims by Christians on this thread alone

These are just two threads. BTW one of them talks about a matter similar to what this thread is about

https://www.nairaland.com/1188495/fellow-christians-what-happening-us
https://www.nairaland.com/1195406/lent-countdown-40-days-fasting
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 21, 2013
in my honest opinion, the evils that religions such as islam has brought on this world is more than the evil that goldie may have brought.
stop judging and shut up!!!!
cows!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Nobody: 11:47am On Feb 21, 2013
i will prefer a goldie to a murder, a deceiver, a terrorist and a womanizer

1 Like

Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by BetaThings: 11:47am On Feb 21, 2013
rafhell: who give muslims the right to judge fellow human beings like you.
before you remove the spec on the face of fellow humans you should remove the log of wood in your eyes.
like islam is a perfect religion

Islam is perfect and commands us to enjoing good and forbid the bad
It is easy to judge what is good or bad. Murder, arson, backbiting, insurrection, indecency are things we are reminded every Friday to shun
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by Nobody: 11:49am On Feb 21, 2013
what u do with ur life when living does not count as much as how u ended ur life.
so many people have live lives more miserable than goldie but before death knocked their doors they have repented and God accepted thr repentance pls repent the bad deeds u are doing because u dont know when death will knock ur door and take u away to unknown world.
Goldie was a disgrace to christendom if she was on, to nigeria and the world as a whole let not her issue tear the muslims apart salam
Re: Stop Being A 21st Century Muslim? by MacDaddy01: 11:49am On Feb 21, 2013
BetaThings:

I request you to consider the Christian topics that have made the front page this week
Please count the number of insults directed at Christians by Muslims on those two threads
Now count the number of attacks on Islam/Muslims by Christians on this thread alone

These are just two threads. BTW one of them talks about a matter similar to what this thread is about

https://www.nairaland.com/1188495/fellow-christians-what-happening-us
https://www.nairaland.com/1195406/lent-countdown-40-days-fasting

There are more christian commenters here on Nairaland.

Secondly, you guyz hardly stray out of your islam section into the religion section. The few that do- Vedaxcool and Fooo28, do their neceessary damage

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Ways To Be A Real Friend / 12 Things You Can Do With Your Sallah Ram (Photos) / Types Of Marriage Practiced In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.