Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... (43509 Views)

Buhari Speaks At The Opening Ceremony Of China-nigeria Business Forum / Pictures From Shiites-Army Clash In Zaria, Many Feared Dead / First Building On Eko Atlantic City Ready In 24 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by naptu2: 9:17am On Feb 22, 2013
So, I don't think that Lagos State Government paid Clinton to show up for thursday's event. There are other interests that can easily get him to show up.

Remember, the project is not just a Lagos State project. The private sector is heavily involved.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by LeOstrich: 9:18am On Feb 22, 2013
sad to see it all flushed away.

Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by dbride: 9:19am On Feb 22, 2013
Misplaced priorities! And what is the effect of this reclamation of land from the atlantic ocean on the coastal line? The white advises us solely for what they stand to gain, we accept also with 10% in mind, who cares where the displaced water will flow to....OCEAN SURGE! We take from the sea, the sea takes back from us. With all the poverty around, we still waste money building a secluded place just for the few super rich.

As I write, we have not had power for the past one week, and when we have it is very low, bushy and waterlogged roads yet LASG demands tenament rate, everything is self effort. You build a house, you make your road, you connect power yourself, you provide water yourself. I guess our leaders like to build from up down. If we cannnot get the basic things working first then the classy projects become wasted effort. It is like living in a mansion surrounded by the poor. Did Clinton not see poverty all around? I guess he himself would have wondered why this "off the hook" project. First things first, our priorities and so misplaced.

Donald Duke beautified Obudu cattle ranch, with trams, swimming pool etc but forgot to take care of the poverty smelling all over on your way up there! I laughed then and knew that no visitor would be happy going up there seeing so much poverty; I WAS NOT HAPPY! Enough said.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by LeOstrich: 9:21am On Feb 22, 2013
naptu2: So, I don't think that Lagos State Government paid Clinton to show up for thursday's event. There are other interests that can easily get him to show up.

Clinton is constantly being critised as the worst former President. He is known as Rent-a-President and will show up at any event if he is paid the minimum 400k and offcourse if you donate to one of his numerous foundations.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by LeOstrich: 9:24am On Feb 22, 2013
dbride: Misplaced priorities! And what is the effect of this reclamation of land from the atlantic ocean on the coastal line? The white advises us solely for what they stand to gain, we accept also with 10% in mind, who cares where the displaced water will flow to....OCEAN SURGE! We take from the sea, the sea takes back from us. With all the poverty around, we still waste money building a secluded place just for the few super rich.

As I write, we have not had power for the past one week, and when we have it is very low, bushy and waterlogged roads yet LASG demands tenament rate, everything is self effort. You build a house, you make your road, you connect power yourself, you provide water yourself. I guess our leaders like to build from up down. If we cannnot get the basic things working first then the classy projects become wasted effort. It is like living in a mansion surrounded by the poor. Did Clinton not see poverty all around? I guess he himself would have wondered why this "off the hook" project. First things first, our priorities and so misplaced.

Donald Duke beautified Obudu cattle ranch, with trams, swimming pool etc but forgot to take care of the poverty smelling all over on your way up there! I laughed then and knew that no visitor would be happy going up there seeing so much poverty; I WAS NOT HAPPY! Enough said.

Don't mind the f00ls.

The Bar Beach erosion was caused by sand filling the adjourning Lekki wet lands and marshes now the rogues are filling the ocean and hoping for another money miss road to come and invest in this hair- brain enterprise
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by miqos02(m): 9:32am On Feb 22, 2013
chipmunkey: The cobbles on the floor are not well laid. cool
clinton and fashola did not see that
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by ba7man(m): 9:38am On Feb 22, 2013
Le Ostrich:

Don't mind the f00ls.

The Bar Beach erosion was caused by sand filling the adjourning Lekki wet lands and marshes now the rogues are filling the ocean and hoping for another money miss road to come and invest in this hair- brain enterprise
No...They have explained over and over again what caused the erosion so i won't bother doing that again. Just know that what you wrote up there is so wrong. Do your research and be certain b4 posting comments. .
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by guvna(m): 9:39am On Feb 22, 2013
Chai!! Tinubu Ugly sha!! Upon all the money wey he thief, Ugly Bastardo!! cool
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by naptu2: 9:41am On Feb 22, 2013
Le Ostrich:

Don't mind the f00ls.

The first ocean surge that I personally witnessed occurred in 1986. At that time Lekki was mainly forest, marsh and grasslands (I know cos my first visit to Lekki was in 1984). Find out about the British Colonial Government's construction of a seawall to protect the approach to Apapa Port.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by ba7man(m): 9:43am On Feb 22, 2013
naptu2:

The first ocean surge that I personally witnessed occurred in 1986. At that time Lekki was mainly forest, marsh and grasslands (I know cos my first visit to Lekki was in 1984). Find out about the British Colonial Government's construction of a seawall to protect the approach to Apapa Port.
Correct guy...You have exposure.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by LeOstrich: 9:44am On Feb 22, 2013
ba7man: No...They have explained over and over again what caused the erosion so i won't bother doing that again. Just know that what you wrote up there is so wrong. Do your research and be certain b4 posting comments.

The Lekki wet lands are what environmentalist refer to as Barrier reefs. They are composed mainly of shifting shoals and sands and act as a buffer between the ocean and Lagoon.

During ocean surges they absorb most of the energy from the swells and protect the fresh water Lagoon and adjacent land mass from flooding. They also help prevent the Lagoon from draining totally into the Ocean.

By sand filling and developing the Lekki wet lands the ocean swells were forced to flow parallel along the coastline and also concentrated the sea surge by the bar beach and thus the eroding shoreline.

Ask yourself why is it that only the Bar Beach is affected. There isn't any shoreline erosion in Alpha and Ajar shorelines.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by LeOstrich: 9:48am On Feb 22, 2013
naptu2:

The sea wall you refer to is now part of Eko Atlantic. The Lagos light house was located on this sea wall and was known as East Mole.

I have had the privilege to visit the lighthouse and Meteorological Marine station there.

It wasn't meant to be a protection barrier but more of an observation point!
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by naptu2: 9:51am On Feb 22, 2013
Le Ostrich:

The Lekki wet lands are what environmentalist refer to as Barrier reefs. They are composed mainly of shifting shoals and sands and act as a buffer between the ocean and Lagoon.

During ocean surges they absorb most of the energy from the swells and protect the fresh water Lagoon and adjacent land mass from flooding. They also help prevent the Lagoon from draining totally into the Ocean.

By sand filling and developing the Lekki wet lands the ocean swells were forced to flow parallel along the coastline and also concentrated the sea surge by the bar beach and thus the eroding shoreline.

Ask yourself why is it that only the Bar Beach is affected. There isn't any shoreline erosion in Alpha and Ajar shorelines.

Go to Alpha Beach Lekki Beach and Lekki Phase 1 Beach today and see if there isn't any erosion there.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by naptu2: 9:53am On Feb 22, 2013
http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/community-news/25547-alpha-beach-residents-cry-over-ocean-surge

The ocean surges started in 1986, while the Lekki development (sandfilling etc, started in 1990/1991).
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by LeOstrich: 9:53am On Feb 22, 2013
naptu2:

Go to Alpha Beach Lekki Beach and Lekki Phase 1 Beach today and see if there isn't any erosion there.

Can it be compared to that of the bar beach shoreline?
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by naptu2: 9:55am On Feb 22, 2013
Le Ostrich:

Can it be compared to that of the bar beach shoreline?

Although I've personally been there, but please read the link I provided above.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by LeOstrich: 9:58am On Feb 22, 2013
naptu2: http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/community-news/25547-alpha-beach-residents-cry-over-ocean-surge

The ocean surges started in 1986, while the Lekki development (sandfilling etc, started in 1990/1991).

Ocean Surges are not sustained events they occur spontaneously and can be as a direct result of marine weather events or deep oceanic geological activity.
Ocean surges hardly lead to shoreline erosion as the swells will naturally recede after the event leading to the surge has subsided.

Shoreline erosion are far more complicated and can be as a direct result of sea level rise or a major change or shift in oceanic current circulation.

The event in Lekki is more of poor ecological management and hindsight with regards to the wetlands and their importance.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by naptu2: 10:03am On Feb 22, 2013
I'm very busy at the moment, but I'll post the full article when I'm less busy. Please read

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/tackling-ocean-surge-at-kuramo-beach/
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by LeOstrich: 10:07am On Feb 22, 2013
naptu2: I'm very busy at the moment, but I'll post the full article when I'm less busy. Please read

please I was expecting a scientific report or authority but you gave me a jaundiced newspaper link?

Everybody knows that Nigerian journalists are semi-illiterate.

Post a scientific report as to the actual cause of the shoreline erosion if there is any in the first place.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by ba7man(m): 10:09am On Feb 22, 2013
Le Ostrich:

In a way, your point makes sense....but i'll have to disagree still b'cos the Bar Beach erosion has been in effect long b4 the Lekki Wetlands were sand filled. This means the problem's cause has been present b4 the sandfilling of Lekki.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by jaso1(m): 10:11am On Feb 22, 2013
Most of comments going against the quality and efficiency of this project are nothing but mischief. I heard some fool relating poorness or ineptitude of electricity to Fashola despite that the body and function of electricity is centralize and control by federal govt. Lagos is doing what he believe can turn Lagos more into commercial hub why are you then busy criticizing it? If you are to blame anybody for Nigeria failure, please blame your president, Fashola can only be blame for any shortcoming in Lagos if there is and by Lagosian, not somebody who left his state due to failure and come to Lagos to secure job for living and yet plugging stick into the eyes of whom rescue him from dying.
If you’re not convenient with Lagos style pack your load and go, tell your governor to replicate Lagos project so that job can be created in which you will do when you finally leave us alone.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by LeOstrich: 10:12am On Feb 22, 2013
ba7man: In a way, your point makes sense....but i'll have to disagree still b'cos the Bar Beach erosion has been in effect long b4 the Lekki Wetlands were sand filled. This means the problem's cause has been present b4 the sandfilling of Lekki.

The wetlands were not being developed then but I know that as early as 81 or 82 sand dunes were already being heaped along the wetlands.

As I said shoreline erosions are a very complicated phenomena and the Lekki sand filling may not be the only cause but I bet it is one of the most paramount.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by LeOstrich: 10:15am On Feb 22, 2013
jas_o:
If you’re not convenient with Lagos style pack your load and go, tell your governor to replicate Lagos project so that job can be created in which you will do when you finally leave us alone.

This here...

Now why do I hear this so often?

The IPCC the body responsible to report findings on climate change has warned coastal environs like Lagos of future sea level risce and encroachment.

I wonder were you go pack your belongings go.

Ingrate!
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by dederocs(m): 10:27am On Feb 22, 2013
SOUTH SOUTH: WILL NIGERIANS EVER HAVE A PRESIDENT IN SUIT?
wtf...must our president wear suit?
dummy
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by naptu2: 10:28am On Feb 22, 2013
Le Ostrich:

The wetlands were not being developed then but I know that as early as 81 or 82 sand dunes were already being heaped along the wetlands.

As I said shoreline erosions are a very complicated phenomena and the Lekki sand filling may not be the only cause but I bet it is one of the most paramount.

Lekki Expressway had not even been completed by 1985. I remember driving down the expressway in 1985. We got lost because there was just bush and grassland on both sides of the road. We got to the end of the road (only bush in front of us). We had to ask the workmen for directions (we told them we were going to Lekki and one asked, in yoruba, "where they eat beans or where they take breeze?" ).

The Bar Beach problem started in 1986. We had regular ocean surges between '86 and '88. This was when people became scared that V.I will be submerged. Lekki development did not start until 1990/91.

However, I agree with you that the sandfilling of Lekki has had negative environmental impact, I just don't agree that it is the main cause of the Bar Beach erosion.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by dederocs(m): 10:30am On Feb 22, 2013
oyb:

spot the odd one out

the one that vows, promises is going to in the midst of those that actually do
why jonathan dey carry patience go everywhere,which kind man be dis.na so he see other presidents dey cary their wife up and down.dulling peeps.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by juman(m): 10:48am On Feb 22, 2013
Eko Ile:

It always nice seeing Mr. Bill Clinton face. grin
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by badesco(m): 10:52am On Feb 22, 2013
ba7man: The Money transfer has reflected in Clinton's bank account so he's smiling and waving.
You seems to get the gist, if not the guy would not be here, i mean Mr. Clinton.
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by dbride: 10:54am On Feb 22, 2013
@LeOstrich... who told you there is no shoreline erosion in Alpha and Ajah shorelines? Do you live in 9ja or outside?
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by LeOstrich: 10:54am On Feb 22, 2013
badesco:
You seems to get the gist, if not the guy would not be here, i mean Mr. Clinton.

Clinton is an international states man (for hire).
Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by naptu2: 10:57am On Feb 22, 2013
[size=14pt]Tackling ocean surge at Kuramo Beach[/size]

September 16, 2012 by IKENNA ONYEMA

The Nigerian coastline borders 853km of the Atlantic Ocean and is interrupted by a series of estuarine entries to the sea. The Lagos landmass is significantly covered by a meandering network of large expanse of wetlands, adjoining creeks and lagoons.

The Kuramo lagoon is one of the 10 lagoons in Lagos. The formation of these lagoons over geological time is evidently the result of movement of sand along the West African coast in a west-east direction by long shore current/drift and sediment movement.

The dominant current (Guinea current) operating in the Lagos coastline area runs from the west to the east and hits the shoreline at approximately 43?. This is what created the lagoons in geological past and anywhere else in West Africa where the coast aligns likewise.

The Lagos harbour, which is part of the Lagos lagoon, is the only opening for nine of the coastal or marginal lagoons to the sea. There is no natural rocky shore in Nigeria; however, at the mouth of the Lagos harbour, there exists a rocky outcrop (stone moles) in the form of harbour breakwaters. These moles were chiefly constructed (i.e. the east, west and training moles) between 1901 and 1930 to protect the Lagos harbour from siltation (natural sediment flow), hence allowing the easy passage of ocean-going vessels to berth in the Lagos harbour, ports, wharfs and other terminals inland.

These constructions were more of an economic consideration than an ecological one.

In addition and more recently is the commencement of the construction of the Eko Atlantic City project. This is a large construction work in a systemic and natural current regulating coastline. There is also the case of “renovation” of the stone moles at the harbour entrance to make them more “effective.”

The issue, over the years, has been the large-scale habitat modification resulting from the construction of the moles, which has obstructed the natural sediment regime and flow. Large-scale dredging and sand mining in the Lagos harbour/Bar Beach area has also gone on for years. There is also the case of negative modifying effect of shipwrecks over the years.

All these have affected the dynamics of coastline areas, leading to loss of lives, coastal land mass, infrastructure, etc.

Currently, we are in the “rough sea season,” especially in the Gulf of Guinea. Again, tropical regions worldwide are presently experiencing heavy sea storms, hurricanes, forest fires, etc. Hurricanes have ravaged the gulf of the U.S., North Korea and other parts of the world since August; and they may continue till September ending.

Sediment budget in the Lagos harbour, Bar Beach and, especially, the Kuramo Beach areas (since it is located downstream) have been increasingly compromised over the years. Furthermore, the effect of global warming, leading to climate change and rise in sea levels worldwide has also exacerbated the reach of the high energy waves.

If these aforementioned realities coincide with a high tide situation, a beach overflow should be expected. This was what caused the recent Kuramo Beach ocean surge. Indeed, studies in the last three years have shown regular beach overflows in the Apese area into the Onijedi lagoon just 1.5km away from Kuramo Beach. That is another clear and present danger.

It is evident the overflow at Kuramo is a result of the downstream effect of large-scale modification and obstruction of natural sediment flow, which has resulted in sediment deficit and changes in the local current climate in the area. Coupled with sea level rise due to global warming and high tide sea level in the Lagos harbour, Kuramo and Bar Beach areas, it is important to note that the hard engineering coastal management structure protecting the Bar Beach stops at the beginning of Kuramo Beach stretch. Hence, the area was also exposed.

The signs of the recent overflow were already with us from many years back. Unfortunately, they are still going to be with us until the right things are done. The way forward, therefore, is to do an all-inclusive hard and soft engineering coastal management system that could mitigate the effects of pounding wave energy on our shore without transferring the sea dynamics energy further downstream (east).

Also, we need to implement the mitigation plans of Environmental Impact Assessment for these projects to the letter. We must enlighten the shoreline masses and develop an environmentally friendly coastal culture. Similar feats have been achieved in Dubai and elsewhere without devastating environmental consequences. And the time to act is now.

At present, Kuramo lagoon is one of the only two closed lagoons we have in Lagos, and their ecological, economic and tourism potential cannot be overemphasised. Kuramo lagoon is also suffering from heavy and continuous organic pollution. There is the need to realistically and ecologically protect our coastline in Lagos, particularly areas where human activities have caused large-scale deleterious effects.

•Dr. Onyema wrote from the Dept. of Marine Sciences, University of Lagos, vide ionyema@unilag.edu.ng

Re: Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... by Nobody: 10:57am On Feb 22, 2013
vislabraye: They invited Kim Kardasian, now its Clinton. I prefer Clinton but can't see the sense in his invitation.

sit down there. do you d number of times that clinton has made an unofficial visit to nigeria? he has business here than u would never know. even shaded ones. those american polititians come 2 nigeria to make their money with ur politicians.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

List Of 10 Countries Buhari Visited In 181 Days In Office / Buhari Endorses Hope Uzodinma As Okorocha Shuns APC Rally / PDP Burns APC Brooms In Benue Because Of David Mark (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.