Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,799 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:30 PM

MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG (20500 Views)

FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities / Jamb Registrar's Reaction To Noise About List Sent To Unilag / MTN To Withdraw Multi-million Digital Library Donated To UNILAG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Truckpusher(m): 11:29am On Feb 22, 2013
Rooneyboy:

I beg to differ bro, on the contrary, it goes to show that he and his team absolutely have know idea on the constitution governing the country.

*they should all bury their heads in shame*
JUST THE WAY YOU FOOLISHLY FORGOT THAT THE CONSTITUTION CAN BE TWISTED SOMETIMES TO SERVE A PURPOSE AND IN A COUNTRY LIKE NIGERIA EVEN IF IT'S TWISTED TO CLAIM YOUR FATHER'S PROPERTY NOTHING WILL HAPPEN AND YOU'RE HERE FIGHTING OVER A NAME CHANGE THAT DOESN'T AFFECT THE QUALITY OF EDUCATION.....SMDH...NOW YOU CAN SEE THAT YOU HAVE NO IDEA ON HOW POLITICS IS BEING RUN IN YOUR COUNTRY...MTCHEEW
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by tebill(m): 11:29am On Feb 22, 2013
Now we have a president that listens and people who have never lead in their lives are complaining
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by thelonestranger: 11:35am On Feb 22, 2013
redcliff:

[size=14pt]Does UniLag use the Global sim too? undecided[/size]

LOL. This global-sms guy is a proper a$$hole spammer . I wonder why he has not yet been banned.maybe he is brothet to Seun's new girlfriend
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Ngwakwe: 11:36am On Feb 22, 2013
It is called the Government of, by and for the people.

The People said No to MAU and Yes to UNILAG.

The People have it.

Clemzy16: LAW OF RATAREDEN
The more a Retardeen tries to prove that he's not a Retardeen the more he proves his Retardeeness. What a Retardeen!!
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Truckpusher(m): 11:38am On Feb 22, 2013
tebill: Now we have a president that listens and people who have never lead in their lives are complaining
Don't bother your head ...when GEJ is through with his mandate, this same eediots will be demanding for him to come back after few yrs.....was it not right here in NL that peeps were wishing for another Abacha?....bunch of deluded fools that doesn't even know 2/3 of their rights as it is written in the constitution coming here to type poo because China has made mobile phones and computers very cheap...smh
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Peterwins(m): 11:39am On Feb 22, 2013
I must commend the President for this reversal even though this is expected as a court have declared the name change illegal and not having gone through the proper process for such a name change.

The reversal by GEJ is a welcome development in a country where absolute power corrupts absolutely. It takes maturity and humility to accept mistakes. GEJ has my support on this one. Good move Mr. President.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by chydian: 11:42am On Feb 22, 2013
Viva Unilag Viva!!!
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by kalunomics(m): 11:46am On Feb 22, 2013
CyberG: LOL...too stupi.d retardeen president! Always putting the cart before the horse, talking before thinking! HAHAHA....
yet when absolute power is exercised, u scream at the top your lungs. Most times i find it hard to get a word that describes some NLanders here well
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by BankuTilapia: 11:50am On Feb 22, 2013
Build more roads, educational structures, health structures, more constant electricity and be more accountable. This is what Nigerians are expecting from you but not to wake up in da morning to read that Goodluck Charlie Chaplin Jonathan is changing the name of a university from A to phucking B. Who cares.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Denn(m): 12:00pm On Feb 22, 2013
Rooneyboy:

I will strongly advice u stop contradicting urself.

I asked u a little question, u are yet to give me an answer and u are talking about going angry .

Now let me make it much easier for u,
WHO IS A LEGISLATURE

If u fail to give me an answer I wouldn't respond to ur posts again.

i now understand your thought process. i was trying to be diplomatic so as to give you a soft landng but it seems you want a hard-on.

the legislature is one of the three arms of government. There is the executive (the president and all others responsible for the daily administration of the state; the legislature which is empowered to make laws and the judiciary tasked with interpreting these laws and ensuring they are adhered to)

a legsilation is different from a constitution and it is clear you dont know the difference.

A constitution is a set of fundamental principles or established precedents according to which a state or other organization is governed.These rules together make up, i.e. constitute, what the entity is. (reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution)

Legislation (or "statutory law"wink is law which has been promulgated (or "enacted"wink by a legislature or other governing body, or the process of making it. (Another source of law is judge-made law or case law.) Before an item of legislation becomes law it may be known as a bill, and may be broadly referred to as "legislation" while it remains under consideration to distinguish it from other business. Legislation can have many purposes: to regulate, to authorize, to proscribe, to provide (funds), to sanction, to grant, to declare or to restrict. (reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legislation)

whilst legislations deal ONLY with laws, Constitution deals with the core principles on which the state is established and governed.

the constitution establishes the supremacy of the state. it defines the different arms of government and gives them both powers and limits. A legislation is however, a product of the legislature (through law enactment) or the judiciary (through precedents).

University of Lagos was established and incorporated by THE UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS ACT 1967. This is the only legal reference to the establishment of the university.

As a fact, the University of Lagos was not mentioned in the 1999 Nigeria Constitution. the only explicit reference to "University" was the University college at Ibadan and University College Teaching Hospital, (under the legislative list)

it is so unfortunate that despite my clues and leads to you as regards this subject, you are still so determined to believe that Jonathan erred against the constitution and not a legislation in this regard.

This is a public forum where learned fellas visit. You should not expect the common beer-parlour argument skills to make your points valid here.

if the only kind of refutation you can provide from this moment is still based on this alomo kind of assumptions, am sorry i wont be able to respond to you again.

In summary, a legislation is different from a constitution. Ask google if you are still in doubt.

thank you
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by chucky234(m): 12:07pm On Feb 22, 2013
I can't help but laugh in Japanese, ha Shinjin Suzuki Moto inamoto shushita.
What a clueless retarded president we got in Aso Rock,he doesn't even have the slightest idea that reversal of such given name follow certain specified procedure guided/provided by law of the nation.
A president of the world's most populous black nation woke one morning from its one billion naira food allowance to announced to the nation that Unilag has been changed to MAULAG without consulting with the stakeholders or following due process as commanded by the 1999 constitution ,as if that was not enough reason reason to discredit him as incompetent he woke up last night after consuming cassava bread to announce the reversal from MAULAG to Unilag.
Simply the worst and most incompetent president Nigeria ever had,the fact that he surround himself too many incompetent clueless goons like Abati and Okupe in itself is enough to make wrong decisions daily.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Symphony007: 12:10pm On Feb 22, 2013
The nigerian presidency is ridden with idiocy..so the federal government cannot make decisions and stand by them. I've lost count of how many times this spineless government has gone back on a decision due to the shambolic opinions of some. They have set a presidence for other federal universities in this country. What is the use of a government that can't make decisions? Utter nonesense!!!
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Denn(m): 12:14pm On Feb 22, 2013
Rooneyboy:

The bolded part of ur piece answers my question.

There are certain rules and principles governing a group/organization /or institution.

He just realized didn't have the soul authority to change the name of the institution.

SIMPLE.

nobody is disputing the fact that GEJ erred in changing the name. Your ability to continue mixing the constitution with a legislation is what humans can no longer understand.

HE ERRED AGAINST A LEGISLATION AND NOT THE CONSTITUTION.......read this sentence again....SLOOOOOWLY
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by GraphicsPlus(m): 12:14pm On Feb 22, 2013
This is leadership.
Thank you Mr. President.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Denn(m): 12:28pm On Feb 22, 2013
Section 1 sub section 1 of the University of Lagos Act, 1967 states thus:

There is hereby established a University to be known as the University of Lagos (in this Act referred to as “the University”) to provide courses of instruction and learning in the faculties of arts, law, medicine, science, education, commerce and business administration, engineering, and any other faculties which may, from time to time, be approved under this Act.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 22, 2013
Had it been Buhari or Tinubu they wouldn't have backed down and by that time you guys will see real dictatorship but all these guys cursing GEJ what's wrong with you, had he refused to backoff you would have still complain now he backed off u re still complaining. What will he do to make you guys happy?
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by 4chi: 12:59pm On Feb 22, 2013
genxris: I said it before and i stand to be corrected that a typical yoruba man (including some non-yorubas that grew up in youruba land) is only good at opening their dirty amala mouth to insult and abuse their fathers.
Mr president has reverted the name back to UNILaG so why insult him for listening and doing the bid of the people,of course u and i know that if it were OBJ he wouldn't even give any of you hyprocrites the chance to agitate for a name reversal not to talk of agreeing to obey the people.
Nigeria can never be pleased even if King Solomon with all his wisdom rules Nigeria i bet you their must still be haters and never say good people that will paint him as the devil himself.
Why are we so torn apart in everything or move by the government.
Clearly, you are the offspring of a guttersnipe and a full time LovePeddler.the yorubas that you talk about were educated when your forebears were cave dwellers. It certainly shall not be well with you olori ibu! Now, if your senseless president is the listening type why did he insist on fuel hike when the whole country was shut down in protest against it? Why is he retaining Ms otteh and her thieving partner "die zany " mad-ueke? even when they are both so entrenched in corruption? Listening president indeed! Listen up foo.l, no son of kobokobo,can come to Yorubaland and start riding roughshod over us, his superiors tried and failed.He simply has to eat the humble pie and do the right thing because he realised his naivety and crass cluelessness and the fact that he simply cannot shove his stupid ideas down our throats. He should leave abiolas issue alone if he is soooo stupi.d and clueless as to what a reasonable man in his shoes should do.

2 Likes

Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by waja(m): 1:12pm On Feb 22, 2013
When he changed it to MAULAG, I changed his name to ODE. Now, he has changed it to UNILAG, I've changed his name to POWERFUL GEJ.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by fuckluv(f): 1:30pm On Feb 22, 2013
What u guys don't understand is that jona knows what he is doing. This is politics. He knew that if he didn't rescind his decision, he would be making more enemies than friends come 2015.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by intrepid: 1:31pm On Feb 22, 2013
emmaBS: Yet another reason for us to believe Jonathan is a trainee president.
WHAT IS REALLY WRONG WITH GEJ'S ADVISERS?
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by thaoriginator: 1:35pm On Feb 22, 2013
Retardeeeen presido! Always getting outa line.
If dem born you well contest for 2015
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by tpapi: 1:52pm On Feb 22, 2013
Carry go gej,u don already win lagos votes come 2015
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Phonon: 2:21pm On Feb 22, 2013
Proud alumnus.For those who don't like this news,do take one cyanide capsule to get a very long rest.Hee!
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by dont8(m): 2:33pm On Feb 22, 2013
What! You a product of Yaba left
JABOO55: ABEG MR JONATHAN SINCE UNILAG NO ACCEPT "MAULAG' KUKUMA BRING MAULAG TO YABATECH. WE WANT MAULAG AS YABATECH! IF U R WITH ME 'like' pls...........
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by pure123: 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2013
we WON..............UNILAG 4 EVA
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by ForNow: 2:53pm On Feb 22, 2013
centje: Sometimes i pity GEJ.

For listening to the voice of the people? Common, I think you really have to pity for yourself, seriously.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by kulutempa: 3:03pm On Feb 22, 2013
Goodluck Jonathan reminds me of the football Referee who awards a penalty and then changes his mind. He brings out a yellow card, then a red card, and then puts the red card back in his pocket. He sends a player off, and then calls him back onto the field. Would you put such a referee in charge of an important match?

1 Like

Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by deletrue: 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2013
touch_me_hard: Tufiakwa! Na waa for una o. He proposed the change of UNILAG to MAULAG, Wahala!
He notices that it's not okay by the Universty body and the citizenry and decides to retain the original name, just to please his people, another Wahala again!
Brother, that is where we are today. We will manage the way we see things.
When Dr Zik wrote in those hey days in the new nigerian and concord news papers that a time will come when the only question nigerians will ask themselves ask is: how did we come to where we are? He saw that time that people are growing up with the worst kind of training from parents. That so many abnormal people will flood every, just as the way we are today. Again, parents do and play your roles well.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by kkkp: 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin ;DLolzz as a Trainee president wot do u expect Tel GEJ dat nigeria is nt animal farm...I dey even pity d guy sef always confused
RICHIE BOI: Abuja – President Goodluck Jonathan has reversed the change of name of the University of Lagos which he renamed Moshood Abiola University in a broadcast to mark the 2012 Democracy Day.

Chairman, Governing Council of University of Lagos, Professor Jerry Gana disclosed this yesterday in Abuja during his inauguration alongside three others by the Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Rufai

The name change had been the subject of litigation and protests from students and alumni of the institution while a court recently ruled that the change was illegal.

Gana who hailed President Jonathan for retaining the name of the institution. said the president had upheld the Constitution by reversing the change of name of the university.

“This is a pointer to the fact that the current administration is committed to entrenching democracy and justice in the country.’’

Gana, who was responding on behalf of the four councils, said they would ensure that the universities’ communities settled down in peace.

“I assure you that we will do our best to be fair, just and honourable in the discharge of our duties.” He also promised effective leadership with integrity, honour and justice.

Gana said members would work according to the rules governing the institutions.

He thanked Jonathan for the appointments and said they would put in their best as Nigerians deserved nothing less.

The other governing councils inaugurated by the Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufa’I, were for the University of Benin, ObafemiAwolowoUniversity, Ile-Ife and Michael Opara University of Agriculture, Umudike.

Their Chairmen are Sen. Bob Dickson, Prof. Rowland Ndoma-Egba and Prof. Anya O.Anya respectively.

The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Education, Sen. Uche Chukwumerijie said the lawmakers’ job had been made easier by the appointments.

Chukwumerijie said the committee’s oversight visits to the institutions had identified lack of leadership by the absence of governing councils and the quality of members of the boards as challenges facing the institutions.

He said the Federal Government had by the appointments taken care of the issues.

“There are councils for those that did not have and the members who have been appointed are men and women of proven integrity and experience in academics.’’

The lawmaker described the appointees as round pegs in round holes and the right captains in the ship.

Chukwumerijie charged the councils to immediately tackle falling standards of education, corruption, cultism and many ills that had continued to affect the development of education.

The Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission, Prof. Julius Okojie, said no university could function effectively without a governing council.

Okojie urged government to consider training and retreat for members to enable them to keep abreast of global best practices in university administration.

He also advocated financial autonomy for universities in the country.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/unilag-name-change-jonathan-makes-uturn/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by deletrue: 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2013
touch_me_hard: Tufiakwa! Na waa for una o. He proposed the change of UNILAG to MAULAG, Wahala!
He notices that it's not okay by the Universty body and the citizenry and decides to retain the original name, just to please his people, another Wahala again!
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by bambuzz88: 3:40pm On Feb 22, 2013
RICHIE BOI: Abuja – President Goodluck Jonathan has reversed the change of name of the University of Lagos which he renamed Moshood Abiola University in a broadcast to mark the 2012 Democracy Day.

Chairman, Governing Council of University of Lagos, Professor Jerry Gana disclosed this yesterday in Abuja during his inauguration alongside three others by the Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Rufai

The name change had been the subject of litigation and protests from students and alumni of the institution while a court recently ruled that the change was illegal.

Gana who hailed President Jonathan for retaining the name of the institution. said the president had upheld the Constitution by reversing the change of name of the university.

“This is a pointer to the fact that the current administration is committed to entrenching democracy and justice in the country.’’

Gana, who was responding on behalf of the four councils, said they would ensure that the universities’ communities settled down in peace.

“I assure you that we will do our best to be fair, just and honourable in the discharge of our duties.” He also promised effective leadership with integrity, honour and justice.

Gana said members would work according to the rules governing the institutions.

He thanked Jonathan for the appointments and said they would put in their best as Nigerians deserved nothing less.

The other governing councils inaugurated by the Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufa’I, were for the University of Benin, ObafemiAwolowoUniversity, Ile-Ife and Michael Opara University of Agriculture, Umudike.

Their Chairmen are Sen. Bob Dickson, Prof. Rowland Ndoma-Egba and Prof. Anya O.Anya respectively.

The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Education, Sen. Uche Chukwumerijie said the lawmakers’ job had been made easier by the appointments.

Chukwumerijie said the committee’s oversight visits to the institutions had identified lack of leadership by the absence of governing councils and the quality of members of the boards as challenges facing the institutions.

He said the Federal Government had by the appointments taken care of the issues.

“There are councils for those that did not have and the members who have been appointed are men and women of proven integrity and experience in academics.’’

The lawmaker described the appointees as round pegs in round holes and the right captains in the ship.

Chukwumerijie charged the councils to immediately tackle falling standards of education, corruption, cultism and many ills that had continued to affect the development of education.

The Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission, Prof. Julius Okojie, said no university could function effectively without a governing council.

Okojie urged government to consider training and retreat for members to enable them to keep abreast of global best practices in university administration.

He also advocated financial autonomy for universities in the country.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/unilag-name-change-jonathan-makes-uturn/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

no brain, no balls

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sexualization Of School Children / Coronavirus: Enugu Govt Directs Closure Of Schools / Victor Koreyo, Lecturer Renounces Nigerian Citizenship; Writes Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.