Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,582 members, 7,812,903 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG (20502 Views)

FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities / Jamb Registrar's Reaction To Noise About List Sent To Unilag / MTN To Withdraw Multi-million Digital Library Donated To UNILAG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by 1121: 3:51pm On Feb 22, 2013
If I were GEJ, I swear, anogo change that name. I will remain firm, let d worse happen. By this action of his, he has shown nigerians more that he is weak and they will never take any of his decree serious. though is a democratic gov, but am sure some section of the constitution permitt certain presidential action, as such, without seeking the consent of anybody. Alternatively, D reversal can even b made silence without involving media, make them no fall my hand
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Myself2(m): 3:58pm On Feb 22, 2013
Denn:

i now understand your thought process. i was trying to be diplomatic so as to give you a soft landng but it seems you want a hard-on.

the legislature is one of the three arms of government. There is the executive (the president and all others responsible for the daily administration of the state; the legislature which is empowered to make laws and the judiciary tasked with interpreting these laws and ensuring they are adhered to)

a legsilation is different from a constitution and it is clear you dont know the difference.

A constitution is a set of fundamental principles or established precedents according to which a state or other organization is governed.These rules together make up, i.e. constitute, what the entity is. (reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution)

Legislation (or "statutory law"wink is law which has been promulgated (or "enacted"wink by a legislature or other governing body, or the process of making it. (Another source of law is judge-made law or case law.) Before an item of legislation becomes law it may be known as a bill, and may be broadly referred to as "legislation" while it remains under consideration to distinguish it from other business. Legislation can have many purposes: to regulate, to authorize, to proscribe, to provide (funds), to sanction, to grant, to declare or to restrict. (reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legislation)

whilst legislations deal ONLY with laws, Constitution deals with the core principles on which the state is established and governed.

the constitution establishes the supremacy of the state. it defines the different arms of government and gives them both powers and limits. A legislation is however, a product of the legislature (through law enactment) or the judiciary (through precedents).

University of Lagos was established and incorporated by THE UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS ACT 1967. This is the only legal reference to the establishment of the university.

As a fact, the University of Lagos was not mentioned in the 1999 Nigeria Constitution. the only explicit reference to "University" was the University college at Ibadan and University College Teaching Hospital, (under the legislative list)

it is so unfortunate that despite my clues and leads to you as regards this subject, you are still so determined to believe that Jonathan erred against the constitution and not a legislation in this regard.

This is a public forum where learned fellas visit. You should not expect the common beer-parlour argument skills to make your points valid here.

if the only kind of refutation you can provide from this moment is still based on this alomo kind of assumptions, am sorry i wont be able to respond to you again.

In summary, a legislation is different from a constitution. Ask google if you are still in doubt.

thank you
Denn:

i now understand your thought process. i was trying to be diplomatic so as to give you a soft landng but it seems you want a hard-on.

the legislature is one of the three arms of government. There is the executive (the president and all others responsible for the daily administration of the state; the legislature which is empowered to make laws and the judiciary tasked with interpreting these laws and ensuring they are adhered to)

a legsilation is different from a constitution and it is clear you dont know the difference.

A constitution is a set of fundamental principles or established precedents according to which a state or other organization is governed.These rules together make up, i.e. constitute, what the entity is. (reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution)

Legislation (or "statutory law"wink is law which has been promulgated (or "enacted"wink by a legislature or other governing body, or the process of making it. (Another source of law is judge-made law or case law.) Before an item of legislation becomes law it may be known as a bill, and may be broadly referred to as "legislation" while it remains under consideration to distinguish it from other business. Legislation can have many purposes: to regulate, to authorize, to proscribe, to provide (funds), to sanction, to grant, to declare or to restrict. (reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legislation)

whilst legislations deal ONLY with laws, Constitution deals with the core principles on which the state is established and governed.

the constitution establishes the supremacy of the state. it defines the different arms of government and gives them both powers and limits. A legislation is however, a product of the legislature (through law enactment) or the judiciary (through precedents).

University of Lagos was established and incorporated by THE UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS ACT 1967. This is the only legal reference to the establishment of the university.

As a fact, the University of Lagos was not mentioned in the 1999 Nigeria Constitution. the only explicit reference to "University" was the University college at Ibadan and University College Teaching Hospital, (under the legislative list)

it is so unfortunate that despite my clues and leads to you as regards this subject, you are still so determined to believe that Jonathan erred against the constitution and not a legislation in this regard.

This is a public forum where learned fellas visit. You should not expect the common beer-parlour argument skills to make your points valid here.

if the only kind of refutation you can provide from this moment is still based on this alomo kind of assumptions, am sorry i wont be able to respond to you again.

In summary, a legislation is different from a constitution. Ask google if you are still in doubt.

thank you

Q.E.D
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Jaideyone(m): 4:16pm On Feb 22, 2013
talk2s:

It's a pity that having read through the comments on this thread, I'm quite disappointed that most of you have allowed blind prejudice and unnecessary hatred have blurred your sense of judgement.
The president demonstrates maturity, discipline and respect to the rule of law by making a U-turn, and self-acclaimed faultless, infallible and righteous Nigerians lack the acumen to commend him, for once.
you're either dumb or mentally reta*rded. when the change of name was met with protests and the court ruled in favour of the alumni jonathan had no choice than to try and go through the right means. Even at that unilag convocation was meant to be january 17 but it couldn't hold because our dear president decided to blackmail us. He wasn't going to attend if we do not accept the name change. The convocation can not hold in the absence of the visitor or his representative. The national assembly striked out the bill for the name change. If the nass didn't strike out the bill the name change would have gone through. Please don't comment on isseues when you don't have a full knowledge of what is happening.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by kurga(m): 4:57pm On Feb 22, 2013
Igwe.:

Even God himself does change his mind with the prayers and intercession of the faithful.so, what's the big deal!
wrong example. It is in God's constitution to forgive sinners when they cry out honestly. GEJ should follow and protect Nigeria's constitution and not be trigger happy with executive powers.

1 Like

Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Hardfact: 5:14pm On Feb 22, 2013
That's simply doing the needful. If GEJ really wanted to honor MKO, dont think it being that difficult consulting with stakeholders first and using due process.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by fkaz(m): 5:46pm On Feb 22, 2013
For_Now:

For listening to the voice of the people? Common, I think you really have to pity for yourself, seriously.

That show his level of understanding, if you think he is listing to the voice of the people.
Why did he decide to change the name of the institution in the 1st place?
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Nobody: 6:21pm On Feb 22, 2013
For_Now:

For listening to the voice of the people? Common, I think you really have to pity for yourself, seriously.
listening to the voice of the people right? Do you know about seeking public opinion before such decision are taken? That is democracy. Not some feeble heart that tries to please everyone.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Nobody: 6:28pm On Feb 22, 2013
fkaz:

That show his level of understanding, if you think he is listing to the voice of the people.
Why did he decide to change the name of the institution in the 1st place?
don't mind the dude. Am a fan of GEJ but the truth be told,when he does mess up.
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Nobody: 8:14pm On Feb 22, 2013
gboss4sure: Simplicity, he heard the cry of the people involved. That's how a democratic government is runned.
and he has refused to hear the cry of pregnant women dying everyday in those mogue he calls hospitals, the cry of jobless graduates in the streets of Nigeria, the cry and the cry continues.........and the only one he decided to heed was dat of MAULAG. Well no sweat, judgement is fast approaching!
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by pekelepekele(m): 10:29pm On Feb 22, 2013
cluelessness runs in this man blood
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by bobby101: 11:35am On Feb 23, 2013
Na him sabi ! ! Even if he does not ,UNILAG remains UNILAG !UNILAG for life !
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Nobody: 3:25pm On Feb 24, 2013
ROSYL:
and he has refused to hear the cry of pregnant women dying everyday in those mogue he calls hospitals, the cry of jobless graduates in the streets of Nigeria, the cry and the cry continues.........and the only one he decided to heed was dat of MAULAG. Well no sweat, judgement is fast approaching!

Is it him that let those hospitals get worse? is he a magician that he will correct the rot in government in a space of just 3yrs in office? The rot that has ravaged Nigeria for over 40yrs how can he correct it in 3yrs?. Stop blaming GEJ for the mistake and corruption of past governments
Re: MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG by Rita30: 7:21pm On Nov 22, 2013
Our presido needs a good psychotherapist something is wrong somewhere

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sexualization Of School Children / Coronavirus: Enugu Govt Directs Closure Of Schools / Victor Koreyo, Lecturer Renounces Nigerian Citizenship; Writes Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.