Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,280 members, 7,815,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector (7952 Views)

Labour Rejects Aregbsola’s Half Salaries - PUNCH / Labour Rejects Aregbesola Half Salary. / I Have Fulfilled My Promise On Power Sector - Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by TayoD1(m): 1:47pm On Feb 22, 2013
so u want them to exclude those ones whereas they hv bn in the industry for long,are u that callous?
And are you that stupid? Can you tell me what part of the world or industry pay severance packages to contract workers when it is not expressly stated in their contractual agreement?
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by pat077: 2:09pm On Feb 22, 2013
phcn or police, i no know d one way worse pass. Dis guys don't deserve penny 4 their long yrs of disservice 2 d nation.
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by aluma(m): 2:30pm On Feb 22, 2013
Come to think of it how much is the private company going to pay we dnt no my quest re
1 who re the people buying it re they nt former leaders when dey were leaders den why did they nt give us good electricity №ω they no there is big money in power they want to continue from where dey stop
2 why wiℓℓ only one person buy 3 zone where is the chalange there which mean whaters he gives us we buy no option @ high price
3 why was der no bid for north Nd yet they say they want to privitize
4 no forien company all re nigerians company people decieve people
Pls gej go boil beans to keep ur time
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by Dee60: 2:33pm On Feb 22, 2013
They are used to cheap money, that's why. Half of them have not done any work other than collecting tolls!
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by ReLaTE(m): 2:36pm On Feb 22, 2013
Tayo-D:
And are you that stupid? Can you tell me what part of the world or industry pay severance packages to contract workers when it is not expressly stated in their contractual agreement?
u must be high on smtin,if u hv bn following this issue u shld hv known that it was an agreement wt d govt and they accepted that those contract staffs must be absorbed. Hw could they agreed that they shld be absorbed and nw bn excluded frm the list,those it look normal to u? We are talking abt justice here.
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by TayoD1(m): 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2013
u must be high on smtin,if u hv bn following this issue u shld hv known that it was an agreement wt d govt and they accepted that those contract staffs must be absorbed. Hw could they agreed that they shld be absorbed and nw bn excluded frm the list,those it look normal to u? We are talking abt justice here.
No wonder Nigeria is so backward with people like you having access to propagate ignorance on the www. You mean contract staff should be assimilated with the purpose of paying them severance packages? Like I said, provide any example whether in the corporate world or government establishments where such is the practice.

It doesn't matter if labor requested for the government to do this during negotiations. Anything can be requested during negotiations. Apparently, the government rightly rejected that insane demand by labor so as to protect the interest of the tax payers.

If you want contract workers compensated, why not call for the compensation of all sub-contractors who also work for PHCN? As a matter of fact, why not call for PHCN to employ all Nigerians right away so that everyone can receive a severance package?
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by manny4life(m): 2:51pm On Feb 22, 2013
demitola:
its kwite apparent on diz thread dat envy and ignorance ar d poise 4 many pple'z comment. Y shld u put d blame on Phcn workers for erratic power supply? Mind u dey're only workin wid wot dey'v bin given. Is it logical 2blame a policeman on incompetency if u ask him 2face a criminal on UZee or RF gun wid dane-gun? And 4real u cant generalise d whole workforce by few rotten ones in d marketin department.

No, if you don't put it on them, it's me or the consumers you'll put it on... smh

My friend, the few ones are the ones who are trying to sabotage the entire system. Take a rotten apple and place it in a bask of 100 apples, come back a week later and tell me what happens. If the clean ones cannot fight and boot out the corrupt ones, they let them all suffer it together...PERIOD.

The power industry MUST BE restored to sanity.
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by ReLaTE(m): 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2013
Tayo-D:
No wonder Nigeria is so backward with people like you having access to propagate ignorance on the www. You mean contract staff should be assimilated with the purpose of paying them severance packages? Like I said, provide any example whether in the corporate world or government establishments where such is the practice.

It doesn't matter if labor requested for the government to do this during negotiations. Anything can be requested during negotiations. Apparently, the government rightly rejected that insane demand by labor so as to protect the interest of the tax payers.

If you want contract workers compensated, why not call for the compensation of all sub-contractors who also work for PHCN? As a matter of fact, why not call for PHCN to employ all Nigerians right away so that everyone can receive a severance package?
bt they hv bn assimilated and govt has bn paying them nw as staffs. They govt shld hv rejected the move in the first place wtout accepting the condition frm the labour,nw who is to b blamed nw?
If u nw ask hw many PHCN staffs are in the govt pay roll they must be included,they are among d numbers. Had it bn that govt rejected it frm d initial stage,then I wl be blaming d labour.

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by adubiay: 5:05pm On Feb 22, 2013
HAH: This guys are ungrateful, PHCN is one of the most backward agency and the government is magnanimous to have given them that, if I were government is either you take it or leave it

You are a FOOL with capital letter. The is a law and formular that guide how an entitlement should be calculated base on your grade level and year of service either in public or private sector. This law were made by government. When a senator is not return to d house they pay them off and there wont be too much to pay while is nepa staff own different. If PHCN is backward, whose fault? you cant give what u dont have. A nation that needs about 15000MW of power is struggling to generate 3500MW. nah PHCN staff go generate the rest
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by Moves: 5:11pm On Feb 22, 2013
If we assume that there are 50000 PHCN staffs.. thats like N7Million per person.. not bad when compared vis a vizthe service they rendered. Moreover alot of these people have been guaranteed places in the new discos.
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by otokx(m): 5:14pm On Feb 22, 2013
The govt should have allowed the conmittee to finish its work
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by adubiay: 5:21pm On Feb 22, 2013
thelastPope:

It is obvious that half of the people posting on NL are Yahoo boys and fooolish students! Just imagine what you and some others have typed. That government should pay them more money? And you want Nigeria to have 24 hours power? I think most of you dont know what you really want. You are obviously confused. Instead of you to vehemently attack the PHCN workers to get lost so we can move on, you are actually supporting them for all the years they have put you under darkness. You have a serious dysfunction. You are adverse to progress

@thelastpope
You have a bigger problem. if your father has put 20years of service into company? will u tell him to get lost. Are phcno staff the one putting u in darkness. Obj claim he spent 15b dollars in 8 years on phcn without any thing to show for it. Gej has started stealling his own claiming they are spending it on ppower. That 384b naira is small for some of dos politian to embezzle in a month.
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by peterprecious: 5:47pm On Feb 22, 2013
Enemy of progress.[color=#006600][/color]
koruji: Didn't I say it on the other thread? Most of that money is going to GEJ&cohorts pockets.

Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by chidyke77(m): 7:04pm On Feb 22, 2013
adubiay:

@thelastpope
You have a bigger problem. if your father has put 20years of service into company? will u tell him to get lost. Are phcno staff the one putting u in darkness. Obj claim he spent 15b dollars in 8 years on phcn without any thing to show for it. Gej has started stealling his own claiming they are spending it on ppower. That 384b naira is small for some of dos politian to embezzle in a month.
dnt mind them,d rejoice in injustice. They didnt see OBJ and GEJ to vent their anger on.,myopic thinking set of people.
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by Vikkiboi(m): 7:26pm On Feb 22, 2013
Only God knows ow he came about dat figure! But to be frank wit dis, dis policy has both positive and negative effect! Laying of hundreds of workers--------- increase in crime rate, increase in unemployment, but above all, its a good policy! God bless Nigeria
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by Bontee: 7:40pm On Feb 22, 2013
The actual problem lies in the fact that it was until the time to pay severance packages that they have to care about data accuracy.They should have had all these data in place right from onset and a simple calculation would have led to the actual figure.

Police - No accurate data on their staff
PHCN - Same story.
Nitel - Same story if we decide to privatize it tomorrow and all of them.

This nation is sick and has gone to the dogs for a very long time.
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by Yahayamoses(m): 7:54pm On Feb 22, 2013
thelastPope:

It is obvious that half of the people posting on NL are Yahoo boys and fooolish students! Just imagine what you and some others have typed. That government should pay them more money? And you want Nigeria to have 24 hours power? I think most of you dont know what you really want. You are obviously confused. Instead of you to vehemently attack the PHCN workers to get lost so we can move on, you are actually supporting them for all the years they have put you under darkness. You have a serious dysfunction. You are adverse to progress
. My broda b4 u cum hr 2 insult pple, u shld av verify wat is goin on. Govt is d cause y naija is in darknes by politicisin any project dt supose 2 b handle by PHCN workers. D functn of PHCN is d maintain d available MGW. If ur fada is a part of PHCN worker n d want 2 drop dm dwn 4rm wrk afta servin 4 30 yrs witout any benefit, wil u b happy because most of dm ar nt cumin back 2 start 4rm square one. It is goin 2 b new recruitmt 2 dose PHCN members dt screenin wil nt affect. Govt av dis money 4rm d bid so let dm paid dm off 2 avoid wat happen 2 NITEL workers or ar u happy 2 wat happen 2 dm in wic dy alway came 2 front of deir office 2 cry 4 govt assistance main while d govt av collect deir money in2 deir pocket. So, let dis nt happen 2 PHCN worker cos dy av children. I av light in my area alway. Blaim govt 4 blackout in some place 4 dy given project 2 deir love politician n dy wil nt do it. Wen u enta PHCN, u wil find out dt well. Tnx, may God bles nigeria
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by 4Play(m): 8:48pm On Feb 22, 2013
If talk of PHCN having 50,000 strong staff is true, this epitomises what's wrong with Nigerian. Effectively, you have a situation where relatively few ''insiders'', whether politicians or Govt workers, extract as much money as possible from the Govt leaving the rest of Nigeria's populace living on crumbs.

How can PHCN which generates an average of 4000 MW have 50,000 employees when ESKOM of South Africa which generates over 40,000 MW including running a nuclear power station has staff strength of about 39,000?

In a country of over 160m people where the vast majority do not benefit from the Govt, to spend such vast sums on highly unproductive workers is ridiculous. Nigerians are so ingrained with the idea of taking as much as you can from the Govt that some people here argue it's PHCN's staff's ''right'' to demand more. N384bn is probably about 6-8 percent of the budget of a nation of 160m and this all to be spent on 50,000 people.
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by agabaI23(m): 10:04pm On Feb 22, 2013
I waz talking with a NEPA staff after the resignation of Barth, he made me understand that they don't want privatisation. He said that several attempts to privatize NEPA has been made since the 80s but none succeeded and that this one won't be different.

They are only interested on frustrating the process. I pray FG will deal with them accordingly.

Again, elements who are against GEJs 2015 return could get in the fray to ensure he does not succeed as success in the sector will be his selling point
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by dotna(m): 7:06am On Feb 23, 2013
Each of 76,500 people can get 5m naira to buy a life annuity(pension). By d way, how many phcn confirmed staff are there?
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by Bellozicobichi: 7:28am On Feb 23, 2013
Igwe.:
So this labour union members want us to continue to stay in darkness while they carry out that their merry-go-round kinda data capturing, and why haven't they concluded the report long time ago? they should accept whatever is been given to them and then put forward whatever the balance is whenever they are done with their calculation.
one things with this govt is what ever u hear from them is deciet for L union collect what is on ground then continue with strugle
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by thelastPope(m): 9:03am On Feb 23, 2013
adubiay:

@thelastpope

Those of you posting nonsense here are either PHCN staff or their relatives. Your plans to sabotage the process has failed. I repeat, it has failed. The agreements with the new companies have been signed and they will take over ASAP. I trust private companies, they will get police and army to deal with any foool who wants to mess them up.

You people are national saboteurs who should be tried for treason. Your plans to stop the privatization has failed. We are in a new era now. The biggest problem to power in Nigeria has been PHCN staff. I remember when the power minister went on an inspection some months back only to discover 2000 transformers in one of the PHCN warehouse! 2000 transformers! I almost cried. Imagine that so many people are crying for transformers. In my area, we have been asked to pay 300k and all these idiotas will do is go to that warehouse and collect one and settle the ogas there. Another incident was when Barth Nnaji visited the Olorunshogo plant when he took over as minister. He was so shocked to see that of the 8 engines in the plant, only 1 was working for almost 3 years and the useless PHCN oga foolishly said the problem was that the operating manual was in chinese! Can you beat that? In this day and age? He couldnt get a translator? Of course, that was just an excuse for his incompetence or more still, sabotage!

They sabotage the system so they can make money from it. When they need money, they go and remove the fuss from the transformer and when you go and complain, they ask the community to pay only for them to bring back the stolen fuss as a new fuss. These guys deserve nothing and the government is only being generous and magnanimous by given them millions as severance package. They werent even remitting their pension as required by law and government is actually paying them the severance from money that is due other sectors. Someone is sponsoring them to come up with this trash to sabotage the privatization but they will fail again just like they have always done. Idiotas!

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by thelastPope(m): 9:06am On Feb 23, 2013
agabaI23: I waz talking with a NEPA staff after the resignation of Barth, he made me understand that they don't want privatisation. He said that several attempts to privatize NEPA has been made since the 80s but none succeeded and that this one won't be different.

They are only interested on frustrating the process. I pray FG will deal with them accordingly.

Again, elements who are against GEJs 2015 return could get in the fray to ensure he does not succeed as success in the sector will be his selling point

There are 2 people you cannot fight in life: God and Government! They will fail and fail again. Nigerians will never support their sabotage. Those supporting them here on NL are those with vested interest or those who want to sabotage the process.
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by lateef4me(m): 12:15pm On Feb 23, 2013
Joe Ajaero and his comrades are catalyst of disaster to this nation . How a union can hold a nation to ransom is what I don't understand ? I trust they can try all this nonsense with Obasanjo or even Fashola .....

Do you know that all the top ogas for NEPA are into private power supply,generator supply and distribution ? I know a top woman is a GM in PHCN ,she's into generators maintenance and services for top banks in this nation......

Like all our politicians,these people will pay dearly for all their actions and it cannot be well with them so say the holy Bible .....

Nigeria will be saved and Migeria must WORK in my life time !
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 23, 2013
Their demand is about 10% of national budget.the true is some politicians are behind phcn workers crisis. Govt will never meet their demand. Govt should deal with them.
franchizy:

My friend abeg wake up from ur sleep. The PHCN workers are fighting for there right. FG have the money, so let dem pay the workers and the fire is over. You don't expect the workers to labour in vain.

Though there demands may be bitter but its there right
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by deor03(m): 10:14pm On Feb 23, 2013
This PHCN/NEPA have been terrorizing us for over 2 decades.
Instead of paying them the billions, they should be tried under the new terrorism bill angry angry
Re: Labour Rejects N384BN PHCN Settlement, Threatens To Shut Power Sector by Bellozicobichi: 8:43am On Feb 24, 2013
NEPA/pHCN staff are indeed patriotic &hard working the problem most 9jrians don't understand is that the sector suffer decades neglet by the previos govt for a layman 2 get picture of what exertiy happen. B/4 1999 the no of installations in the country consuption were not up to 90MW but due to the immens electrification by politians the demand raise by more than 100% so in the proces of how 2 increase the generation is where govt is failling due 2 the follow ing obstacles 2 generate only 300MW. In a country where it has zero tollorance curruption will take 3years ,importing capacity that its govt has the power 2 buy the require anythings related machine and equipments so it takes time b/4 yhe govt react to requires been fowerded to the govt so my dear NL family there are so many things that govt is responsible for a regular supply in the country

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 / "Fayose Received N18.4bn Paris Club Refund From FG But Refused To Pay Workers" / Igbos Are Of No Use To Us, We Are Not Igbos - Ndokwa Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.