Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,057 members, 7,956,949 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:38 PM

FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season - Sports (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season (24988 Views)

FORMULA ONE F1 Official SeasonThread - Revamped / Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 / Super Eagles Match Statistics For 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 13, 2013
A-40:

If Alonso was consistent he would qualify better and odds are the gap would not be as wide as it is right now. Consistency is the reason why Vettel is ahead of the rest of the field or else why isn't Webber winning races or in the title hunt if it was down to the car alone?

Alonso is the best of the rest, no question about it, but even if he was qualifying on pole, it would NOT change the outcome of the race. that RBR is simply faster!

That car was competitive this year,last year and the year before! He also drove a competitive car at McLaren and yet he failed woefully! If he could not win a WDC then he would not win it now! Competitive car or not

i guess you are entitled to your opinion about what a competitive car is.......we all can see that there is absolutely NO competition. if you can see any, then you must be "special" like baba Ijebu, lol!

So why is Webber not directly behind Vettel? Since the supremacy is so vast how are Alonso,Kimi and Louis ahead of Webber

everyone knows that A) the RBR is modelled around SV driving style and B) Webber is a "ok" driver. put any top driver like Ham/Alonso/Rai in that car and you will see some real competition at the top.......

The Renault car was faster than every other car on the grid!! Only an Alonso fanboy like you would argue otherwise! Put a solid driver as Alonso's running mate and let's see if they would not have swept the other races! That car had more pole positions than all the other cars out there!

At least we can all agree on one point: Alonso is a SOLID driver.

If that car was not the best on the grid then tell us how Alonso was able to be on pole for 5 straight races at a point! That the Renault didn't win more races is purely an indictment on Giancarlo Fisichella's motor skills

He had 12 poles within that timeframe! How many has he had since? You are free to argue till you are blue in the face but the facts are there and irrefutable! A Raikkonnen or Schumacher would have won more races for Renault

any F1 aficionado knows that being on pole doesnt mean anything....a car can be fast on 1lap, and fail miserably during the race.......see Mercedes for an example of what i am saying. at the end of the day, if the Renault car was better than the rest, then that car would have won MOST of the races.....it is simple LOGIC.

Bullshit!! Why isn't Webber winning races then? He's won squat all season long

because A) the RBR is modelled around SV driving style and B) Webber is just an "ok" driver.
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 3:19pm On Oct 13, 2013
MRbrownJAY:

Alonso is the best of the rest, no question about it, but even if he was qualifying on pole, it would NOT change the outcome of the race. that RBR is simply faster!
Sorry but Vettel's 4 WDC and higher number of race wins beg to differ!

Alonso is a shitty qualifier if he was half decent at qualifying the Ferrari's race pace would have helped him put up a better fight! Give Alonso that RBR and he would struggle to put it on pole and invariably struggle to win races

MRbrownJAY:
i guess you are entitled to your opinion about what a competitive car is.......we all can see that there is absolutely NO competition. if you can see any, then you must be "special" like baba Ijebu, lol!
That's the beauty of it! I have seen Alonso in competitive cars and he has still failed woefully! He is driving a competitive and reliable car now and is still failing

MRbrownJAY:
everyone knows that A) the RBR is modelled around SV driving style and B) Webber is a "ok" driver. put any top driver like Ham/Alonso/Rai in that car and you will see some real competition at the top.......
This is a phantom theory! Prior to Vettel's first title how was Red Bull to know he was going to be this successful to consistently model cars after him year in year out. Hahaha this is just hilarious

MRbrownJAY:
At least we can all agree on one point: Alonso is a SOLID driver.
Of course he is a solid driver! I recognize his abilities do I think he's better than Vettel? Not in a million years

MRbrownJAY:
any F1 aficionado knows that being on pole doesnt mean anything....a car can be fast on 1lap, and fail miserably during the race.......see Mercedes for an example of what i am saying. at the end of the day, if the Renault car was better than the rest, then that car would have won MOST of the races.....it is simple LOGIC.
Nonsense! Starting on pole gives you the best odds to win a race no matter how awful your car is! Mercedes won 4 races this year and almost all of their wins came from pole position

It was better than the rest but an average joe like Giancarlo Fisichella could not take advantage! Give that Renault to a Montoya and let's see whether they wouldn't have won more races! I have asked you a simple question you refused to answer!
Alonso has 22 poles in over 200 races! How is it that between 05/06 he was able to amass over half that tally with that Renault car? How did he win that many races?

All the greats Senna,Schumacher etc also had the most poles
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by omar22(m): 11:35am On Oct 14, 2013
A-40:

I'm sure you would have preferred Webber not finishing that race grin the difference was in tire strategy. Webber had to pit as early as the 26th lap! There is no way he woulda lasted till the end infact Webber only has himself to blame for staring at Grosjean's exhaust for that long! Vettel woulda passed him in a New York minute

Definitely another bit of team strategy to let golden boy win. They're not worried about the 7 points, but they probably feel that PR wise it's better to let Seb take all the victories...he'll be the one to lead the challenge again for RBR next year.

That said I agree with those who say Webber isn't a match for Vettel (anymore) in his own right. One of his weaknesses was shown again in being stuck after Grosjean a few laps instead of banzaiing it on the first attempt...However I don't think it would have been enough for victory either way.

All in all they were closely matched today with Webber having a slight advantage and the team did just enough to negate that advantage. Helmut was smiling.

Webber suggesting the team changed him to two stops. Plenty for the conspiracy theorists there.

If there was anything naughty going on it more reflects that they didn't trust Mark not to take them both off. There's certainly been enough egging on in that direction. I still think splitting the tactics made most sense to beat Lotus: no point having two cars follow his strategy.

Still, possible scandal as title winning team may favour winning guy. Unprecedented.

Did you hear Vettel say "Keep him away from me" do you think he was talking about Grosjaen?
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by omodapson(m): 2:55pm On Oct 14, 2013
omar22:

Definitely another bit of team strategy to let golden boy win. They're not worried about the 7 points, but they probably feel that PR wise it's better to let Seb take all the victories...he'll be the one to lead the challenge again for RBR next year.

That said I agree with those who say Webber isn't a match for Vettel (anymore) in his own right. One of his weaknesses was shown again in being stuck after Grosjean a few laps instead of banzaiing it on the first attempt...However I don't think it would have been enough for victory either way.

All in all they were closely matched today with Webber having a slight advantage and the team did just enough to negate that advantage. Helmut was smiling.

Webber suggesting the team changed him to two stops. Plenty for the conspiracy theorists there.

If there was anything naughty going on it more reflects that they didn't trust Mark not to take them both off. There's certainly been enough egging on in that direction. I still think splitting the tactics made most sense to beat Lotus: no point having two cars follow his strategy.

Still, possible scandal as title winning team may favour winning guy. Unprecedented.

Did you hear Vettel say "Keep him away from me" do you think he was talking about Grosjaen?

There was just one thing on the Red Bull agenda, to take Vettel to P1 and the strategies they deployed ensured that. I don't know why they didn't employ the 2 stop strategies for the retiring old horse too. He was in pole position to claim victory but his team simply let him down because they couldn't afford to take any chances. But I must still give it to Vettel though, he is a brilliant driver and he's got a fantastic team in support.
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 3:02pm On Oct 14, 2013
omar22:

No harm in hedging your investment! I think Webber put himself in this position with his inability to perform and be consistent over the last 4 seasons
I still don't think Webber woulda made it to the end with those tires! He had been running on them since lap 26 and you know how hard Webber pushes his tires compared to Vettel

omar22:
He was stuck behind Grosjean for 7 laps!! That's unacceptable and its easy to even see why Vettel would be the preferred one. It took him just one lap!

omar22:

I think Webber put himself in that position to be honest. If you look at the RBR and Ferrari scenario you have to agree that Webber has been given more leeway to challenge compared to Massa he's just come up short

omar22:
We probably wouldn't even be having this controversy if Vettel was on pole. Having Webber win this race does nothing to help RBR's cause anyway

omar22:

I wouldn't put it past Webber to crash Vettel and help his BFF Fernando if he could. That request wasn't out of order

Let's be fair here! Webber was on fresher and faster tires how on earth did he take 7 laps to pass Grosjean? The distance between him and Vettel was 11 seconds with 10 laps to go he could have caught him. Anyway these "tactics" are nothing compared to tampering with your teammates gearbox and "Fernando is faster than you"
RBR did what they had to do to get their cars ahead of the Lotus

MrBrownJay is talking about competitive teammates like Alonso,Hamilton and Schumacher had competitive teammates in their championship years
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by omar22(m): 9:46am On Oct 15, 2013
A-40:

Let's be fair here! Webber was on fresher and faster tires how on earth did he take 7 laps to pass Grosjean? The distance between him and Vettel was 11 seconds with 10 laps to go he could have caught him. Anyway these "tactics" are nothing compared to tampering with your teammates gearbox and "Fernando is faster than you"
RBR did what they had to do to get their cars ahead of the Lotus

MrBrownJay is talking about competitive teammates like Alonso,Hamilton and Schumacher had competitive teammates in their championship years

Talking about Alonso, I heard that Ferrari has pardoned Massa for not moving over for "Crybaby"

Felipe was instructed by his team(s) since the start of his F1 career. I still remember the 2002 German GP when the Sauber team instructed him to let past Heidfeld and he lamented on the radio about it. After that Felipe looked to estabilish himself as a frontrunner but 8 years later, at the same track(Hockenheim), another team order, denied him a victory and highlighted Alonso's dominance inside the Ferrari team for four years.

Pretty pathetic that with no chance of a driver's title, Ferrari still try to take a position from one driver to give to another.

It will be interesting to see what will happen with bullheaded Kimi there. I wish he'd stay at Lotus. Anyways since Alonso is a poor qualifier, this will happen in the upcoming races too. Ferrari will still find a way to screw him... just ask Mark Webber how easy it is..

Now please give him some of that Lewis treatment and roughen his race. You had to move so many times and than Alonso get the crown.
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 11:41am On Oct 15, 2013
omar22:

Talking about Alonso, I heard that Ferrari has pardoned Massa for not moving over for "Crybaby"

Felipe was instructed by his team(s) since the start of his F1 career. I still remember the 2002 German GP when the Sauber team instructed him to let past Heidfeld and he lamented on the radio about it. After that Felipe looked to estabilish himself as a frontrunner but 8 years later, at the same track(Hockenheim), another team order, denied him a victory and highlighted Alonso's dominance inside the Ferrari team for four years.

Pretty pathetic that with no chance of a driver's title, Ferrari still try to take a position from one driver to give to another.

It will be interesting to see what will happen with bullheaded Kimi there. I wish he'd stay at Lotus. Anyways since Alonso is a poor qualifier, this will happen in the upcoming races too. Ferrari will still find a way to screw him... just ask Mark Webber how easy it is..

Now please give him some of that Lewis treatment and roughen his race. You had to move so many times and than Alonso get the crown.

What does it matter if they do not pardon him? He has to race for his F1 future so if I were him I couldn't be bothered about Ferrari or Alonso

Ferrari would do well not to try nonsense with Kimi because that one sef na crazeman. Alonso would have to outdrive and outqualify Kimi to get any special treatment and even at that there's no telling how the Iceman would react. I think we are at the cusp of seeing an outstanding battle between two really good drivers either way there is no guarantee it would lead to a WDC or WCC for Ferrari
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by omar22(m): 3:23pm On Oct 15, 2013
A-40:

What does it matter if they do not pardon him? He has to race for his F1 future so if I were him I couldn't be bothered about Ferrari or Alonso

Ferrari would do well not to try nonsense with Kimi because that one sef na crazeman. Alonso would have to outdrive and outqualify Kimi to get any special treatment and even at that there's no telling how the Iceman would react. I think we are at the cusp of seeing an outstanding battle between two really good drivers either way there is no guarantee it would lead to a WDC or WCC for Ferrari

The problem is that the Spanish giant Santander are one of the major sponsors of Ferrari and seems like they are pulling some serious strings, now Ferrari has had another sponsor with deep pockets from China and they insist on having Kimi on board.

Waiting for the fire-works
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 4:03pm On Oct 15, 2013
omar22:

The problem is that the Spanish giant Santander are one of the major sponsors of Ferrari and seems like they are pulling some serious strings, now Ferrari has had another sponsor with deep pockets from China and they insist on having Kimi on board.

Waiting for the fire-works
I wouldn't be suprised if Seb romps to another title in 2014. Alonso has always shown he cannot handle competition and you never know what you are going to get with Kimi.
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by Olaone1: 11:39am On Oct 17, 2013
justwise:

He is a much better driver than Vettel 4sure
Ode!
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 8:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
Interesting facts I lifted from the web. Especially for all those that choose and insist on attributing Vettel's brilliance to just his car and supporting cast and zero recognition of his actual skills

FACTS
Red Bull (2006-2008) C. Horner + A. Newey + D. Coulthard + M. Webber

DID NOT WIN ANY SINGLE RACE

Toro Rosso (2008)
S. Vettel won the ONLY RACE in TR history.

Red Bull (2009)
S. Vettel: won 4 races + vice champion

Red Bul (2010-2013)
S. Vettel 4 titles
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by Areaboy2(m): 10:33am On Oct 27, 2013
2008 was a wet race.. doesn't count..

lets see how today unfolds
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by aieromon(m): 11:13am On Oct 27, 2013
Webber and Vettel in lead positions.

Anyone know how Vettel slipped into 5th place? I started the race at Lap 12.
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 11:30am On Oct 27, 2013
Superb driving from Vettel today! Just head and shoulders above the competition

aieromon: Webber and Vettel in lead positions.

Anyone know how Vettel slipped into 5th place? I started the race at Lap 12.
Pitted really early! Lap 2 precisely
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 11:42am On Oct 27, 2013
Area_boy: 2008 was a wet race.. doesn't count..

lets see how today unfolds
How can it not count? He still had to win it! He was only 21 FFS
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by pickabeau1: 11:57am On Oct 27, 2013
It's over
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by aieromon(m): 12:12pm On Oct 27, 2013
A-40:
Superb driving from Vettel today! Just head and shoulders above the competition

Pitted really early! Lap 2 precisely

Thanks.

Congrats to S.Vettel and the RedBull team.
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 12:18pm On Oct 27, 2013
And he did it! Sixth win in a row! 4 time WDC Sebastian Vettel

1 Like

Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by ItGeek(m): 12:29pm On Oct 27, 2013
I doff my hat for Grosjean, starting 17th and finishing 3rd, if he continues takes his last few game form to next season, we'll see him competing for the title.
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by babyboy3(m): 12:58pm On Oct 27, 2013
A-40:

How can it not count? He still had to win it! He was only 21 FFS

Do you honestly think a Torro Rosso with Vettel as the driver will win at Monza in the DRY? NO CHANCE

Even Jordan racing won 2 twice in the wet
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 2:14pm On Oct 27, 2013
baby-boy:

Do you honestly think a Torro Rosso with Vettel as the driver will win at Monza in the DRY? NO CHANCE

Even Jordan racing won 2 twice in the wet
If I recall correctly he was on pole! Every team is equally affected by the rains so same way it worked for Vettel is also the same way it could have worked against him
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by babyboy3(m): 2:37pm On Oct 27, 2013
A-40:

If I recall correctly he was on pole! Every team is equally affected by the rains so same way it worked for Vettel is also the same way it could have worked against him

You didnt answer my question? Like I said in the wet its a level playing field, Hulkenberg got pole in the wet, Honda's only win was in the wet

if am correct Vettel has only won one wet race since that day

1 Like

Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by Areaboy2(m): 3:33pm On Oct 27, 2013
Basically, fanny face decided to end the season before it actually ended. I'm now looking up to next year.. Let me see fanny face win again angry

Hope the competition wake up. Redbull is dominating too much FFS!!! hope the new rules will balance up things.. Else.... Imma quit watching angry
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 3:53pm On Oct 27, 2013
baby-boy:

You didnt answer my question? Like I said in the wet its a level playing field, Hulkenberg got pole in the wet, Honda's only win was in the wet

if am correct Vettel has only won one wet race since that day
He also started on pole! That should tell you he had a good weekend! Whether he would have gone on to win is moot you can't categorically say if he will or won't besides rain is usually the ultimate leveller and a good driver has to show some mastery of those conditions. Give the man his dues

How many wet races do we have on average per season? We've not had one this year! So that's not saying much
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 3:55pm On Oct 27, 2013
Area_boy: Basically, fanny face decided to end the season before it actually ended. I'm now looking up to next year.. Let me see fanny face win again angry

Hope the competition wake up. Redbull is dominating too much FFS!!! hope the new rules will balance up things.. Else.... Imma quit watching angry
The rules would not balance nada because RBR were not unduly favored with the previous rules in the first place! They are just the hardest working most business minded outfit out there. We heard this song and dance before but Vettel keeps winning
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by omodapson(m): 5:24pm On Oct 27, 2013
Congrats Vettel and the Red Bull Racing team for yet another championship. You deserve every bit of it!
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by babyboy3(m): 7:20pm On Oct 27, 2013
A-40:

He also started on pole! That should tell you he had a good weekend! Whether he would have gone on to win is moot you can't categorically say if he will or won't besides rain is usually the ultimate leveller and a good driver has to show some mastery of those conditions. Give the man his dues

How many wet races do we have on average per season? We've not had one this year! So that's not saying much

The first thing I said on most web site is to congratulate Vettel
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by montelik(m): 9:11pm On Oct 27, 2013
Well its officially over. Haven't commented in a while but I have still been following the races. I can't lie this season has been more boring than any off the previous years despite a promising start. Pirelli need to take it easy with the tyres, its turning things into something of a procession.

Some will whine, moan and groan about Vettel and Red Bull being too dominant and destroying the spectacle of F1. But the blame this season lies squarely on the shoulders of the competition. No matter what some may say, Red Bull didn't start the season with a superior car and even now I doubt they have a car much faster than the others. Fact is that the other teams can't match Vettel and Red Bulls consistency and discipline. They have had 4 years to get this sorted, yet the likes of Mclaren, Ferrari, Mercedes keep making the same mistakes year to year. Just more consistency from these guys and we would at least have a WDC and constructors race that went on much longer. But the teams who would rather give-up as soon as they fall behind and proceed to whine about Red Bulls invincibilty, while hoping for some magic fix with a tweaking of rules, tyres e.t.c to give them an edge.

1 Like

Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 28, 2013
montelik: Well its officially over. Haven't commented in a while but I have still been following the races. I can't lie this season has been more boring than any off the previous years despite a promising start. Pirelli need to take it easy with the tyres, its turning things into something of a procession.

Some will whine, moan and groan about Vettel and Red Bull being too dominant and destroying the spectacle of F1. But the blame this season lies squarely on the shoulders of the competition. No matter what some may say, Red Bull didn't start the season with a superior car and even now I doubt they have a car much faster than the others. Fact is that the other teams can't match Vettel and Red Bulls consistency and discipline. They have had 4 years to get this sorted, yet the likes of Mclaren, Ferrari, Mercedes keep making the same mistakes year to year. Just more consistency from these guys and we would at least have a WDC and constructors race that went on much longer. But the teams who would rather give-up as soon as they fall behind and proceed to whine about Red Bulls invincibilty, while hoping for some magic fix with a tweaking of rules, tyres e.t.c to give them an edge.
Very well said.
I want to commend A-40, always sticking out for Vettel. The guy is just brilliant, lot of people don't just want to accept that. It is only in F1 we would see some one winning 4 WDC yet, he is still an average driver.
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 5:55pm On Oct 28, 2013
Darthmaul:
Very well said.
I want to commend A-40, always sticking out for Vettel. The guy is just brilliant, lot of people don't just want to accept that. It is only in F1 we would see some one winning 4 WDC yet, he is still an average driver.
The hate and blatant disrespect of the Vettelmeister's credentials across the webspace is just disgusting and pathetic! We've heard every smelly excuse under the sun

- The rules are skewed in RBR's favor
- Adrian Newey is responsible (like he drives the car)
- Put Alonso,Raikkonen and Hamilton in that car and they would win for sure (my personal favorite)

Everyone keeps chatting about next year! God protect us all we would still be here talking about Vettel winning his 5th in a row

1 Like

Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by A40(m): 9:20pm On Oct 28, 2013
baby-boy:

Your friend would be a collection of fine wine by the end of the sea, are you aware that this season's car rolls into next year? no modification no alteration etc and Adrian Newey would get the car to stick on the ground whereas Ferrari might need to build a new car

My prediction of the buyer of wine

17/03 Grand Prix of Australia YOU
24/03 Grand Prix of Malaysia YOU (if it rains Friend)
14/04 Grand Prix of China FRIEND
21/04 Grand Prix of Bahrain YOU
12/05 Grand Prix of Spain (Barcelona) FRIEND
26/05 Grand Prix of Monaco YOU
09/06 Grand Prix of Canada YOU
16/06 Grand Prix of Jersey (New York) * TBA
30/06 Grand Prix of Great Britain YOU
14/07 Grand Prix of Germany FRIEND
28/07 Grand Prix of Hungary YOU
25/08 Grand Prix of Belgium FRIEND
08/09 Grand Prix of Italy FRIEND
22/09 Grand Prix of Singapore YOU
06/10 Grand Prix of Korea YOU
13/10 Grand Prix of Japan YOU
27/10 Grand Prix of India YOU
03/11 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi FRIEND
17/11 Grand Prix of USA (Austin) FRIEND
24/11 Grand Prix of Brazil Uh? Interlagos is a Red Bull track
Re: FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season by babyboy3(m): 7:11am On Oct 29, 2013
A-40:

Vettel victory in Italian GP back in 2008 it has an explanation. First of all Vettel was very talented but I think that he still had a few weaknesses back then, which by now he had managed to resolve. It was a wet race, including qualifying and we know that on these conditions we can see many surprising results, Perez nearly won last year Malaysian GP, only Alonso's driving skill negated him. Kovalainen could had beaten Vettel at Monza but you can't rely on him when you need to put something special. If I remember well all the STR and RBR cars managed to qualify in the top five-sixth, so they were pretty much suited to the conditions but neither of their drivers were as good as Vettel. I have to add that prior to 2010 the STR's were designed by Newey as well and back then (2008) he lamented about the deficiencies of the Renault engine, compared to the Ferrari on the back of the STR's.

After that Renault asked the FIA for a temporary unfreeze rule for the Renault engine in order to recover some of their deficit for 2009 and onwards. I remember Newey saying that his chassis has a lot of potential and if tailored around the Ferrari engine, they can fight with the teams ahead of them. By half season he concentrated on the development of STR and they managed to beat RBR at the end of the season and to win in Italy. Vettel drove very well (especially compared to Bourdais) that season, it was clear that he was a mercurial talent. I posted that to explain how STR managed to beat RBR that year, and it wasn't all about Vettel's talent.

But in the rain Coulthard(RBR) and Vettel(STR) managed to get a podium once in 2008. But for most of the season the midfield was pretty much close, but some way behind Ferrari, McLaren and BMW Sauber, until Renault managed to join them at the end of the season. In 2008, all the teams got into the podium except FI, even Barrichello in the poor Honda RA108 got a podium in a rain soaked race, or Piquet Jr finished 2nd in the semi-chaotic german GP, or Glock in the Hungarian GP. That season opened many chances for all the drivers and Vettel was one of the drivers which delivered. This one isn't like 2008. Whatever a driver does is impossible to get a podium unless you are driving one of the top four teams. As I said Vettel performed very well in 2008, finishing 8th on the standings after the drivers of the top three teams and Alonso.

To add something about 2008, Hamilton, Massa and Raikkonen were the only drivers which won races that year without neccesitating special conditions(like rain) or benefiting from rivals bad luck and capitalising on it(it doesn't mean that they didn't deserved their victories). Kubica won in Canada because the SC was deployed(remember SC rules at the time) and Hamilton crashed on Raikkonen at the pitlane. Kovalainen won because Hamilton's tyre and Massa's engine blew. Vettel won because of the rain and the bad luck of Hamilton in qualifying. Alonso won because of the crashgate in Singapore and because Hamilton messed up the field at the first corner in Japan. As for the topic, Hamilton didn't had necessarily the best car in 2008. I think that Ferrari was stronger. But Massa wasn't consistent in the first half of the season, and Raikkonen form dropped badly in the second half. Lewis did a better job than them so he won the title.

But I still congrat Vettel because he drove a flawless drive.

17/03 Grand Prix of Australia YOU
24/03 Grand Prix of Malaysia YOU (if it rains Friend) Right
14/04 Grand Prix of China FRIEND
21/04 Grand Prix of Bahrain YOU Right
12/05 Grand Prix of Spain (Barcelona) FRIEND
26/05 Grand Prix of Monaco YOU
09/06 Grand Prix of Canada YOU Right
16/06 Grand Prix of Jersey (New York) * TBA
30/06 Grand Prix of Great Britain YOU
14/07 Grand Prix of Germany FRIEND
28/07 Grand Prix of Hungary YOU Right
25/08 Grand Prix of Belgium FRIEND
08/09 Grand Prix of Italy FRIEND
22/09 Grand Prix of Singapore YOU Right
06/10 Grand Prix of Korea YOU Right
13/10 Grand Prix of Japan YOU Right
27/10 Grand Prix of India YOU Right
03/11 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi FRIEND
17/11 Grand Prix of USA (Austin) FRIEND

McLaren should have been in the mix up only for McLaren to change the drive rod from push to pull (rumour Jenson Button's advice) because last years Macca was one of the fastest cars

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Who Have Advantage Of Wining Premier League Title Among Top Three Contenders / Super Eagles Rated Third Worst Team At The World Cup 2018 / Manchester United Go The Entire Season Without An Away Defeat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.