Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,936 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? (24750 Views)

Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by Ikenna351(m): 9:33pm On Feb 26, 2013
omaolowo: Very funny as I seem to the only OLD MAN to contribute to this thread.
But permit me to say that my first car was bought in 1977: It was a VolksWagen Beetle 1,300 cc
The total cost was N2,660.00. Of course, it was BRAND NEW - from NITECHO Osogbo. Super Petrol then, cost only 10 kobo per litre. To fill up your tank that is entirely empty was less than N4.00 (Four Naira)

I was then aged 24 yrs - and a Graduate Assistant in the University.

This car was sold to a colleague for N3,500 in 1987 - 10 years later. By then, I was having an official car a Peugeot 504 SR bought in January 1983 and another personal car (also a Peugeot 504) for my wife. This second Peugeot car was actually bought from SCOA Apapa in April 1984 because of the 'Odd and Even No' regime in Lagos. We left Lagos (for good) in 1985.

My wife then used this car for 25 years (from 1987 when she learnt driving) until I was forced to 'retire' the car with a replacement. She is the most wonderful angel. Our paths crossed as Primary School classmates in 1959 (now you know!)

God has been so kind: as both of these Peugeot cars are still in our compound and are still ACTIVE (if you don't mind power-assisted steering, automatic gear, windows, air-conditioner) offered by the Toyotas, Datsun Ultima and the Hondas we (the 'children' have grown up and have their cars, too!) now use.

Very occasionally, I still take a cruise in the 1984 Peugeot. It has been wonderful for this 29 year old member of the family! It has really been wonderful (But alas, I have to end this with 'GONE ARE THOSE DAYS.....')

Please, we would love if you would join us in the Nairaland Peugeot community. Find the link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1003701/peugeot-thread-peugeot-community

We would need an old/elderly Lion like you in the house. Please, we dont have Lioness in the house. So, we wouldnt mind if you could drag your wife join us as well. Lol!

Though, i have sent you PM, inviting you to join the community, but i needed to it here too, in case other Lions and Lionesses are here who havent joined us. You will love it when you do, because we are happy family.

If my plans works out, we are going to have a Peugeot day in Abuja this year. I pray that it works out.

Ikenna.
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by ziccoit: 3:57am On Feb 27, 2013
omaolowo: Very funny as I seem to the only OLD MAN to contribute to this thread.
But permit me to say that my first car was bought in 1977: It was a VolksWagen Beetle 1,300 cc
The total cost was N2,660.00. Of course, it was BRAND NEW - from NITECHO Osogbo. Super Petrol then, cost only 10 kobo per litre. To fill up your tank that is entirely empty was less than N4.00 (Four Naira)

This car was sold to a colleague for N3,500 in 1987 - 10 years later. By then, I was having an official car a Peugeot 504 SR bought in January 1983 and another personal car (also a Peugeot 504) for my wife. This second Peugeot car was actually bought from SCOA Apapa in April 1984 because of the 'Odd and Even No' regime in Lagos. We left Lagos (for good) in 1985.

My wife then used this car for 25 years (from 1987 when she learnt driving) until I was forced to 'retire' the car with a replacement. She is the most wonderful angel. Our paths crossed as Primary School classmates in 1959 (now you know!)

God has been so kind: as both of these Peugeot cars are still in our compound and are still ACTIVE (if you don't mind power-assisted steering, automatic gear, windows, air-conditioner) offered by the Toyotas, Datsun Ultima and the Hondas we (the 'children' have grown up and have their cars, too!) now use.

Very occasionally, I still take a cruise in the 1984 Peugeot. It has been wonderful for this 29 year old member of the family! It has really been wonderful (But alas, I have to end this with 'GONE ARE THOSE DAYS.....')

I'm on prostration mode for the elderly man. You story is beautiful.

2 Likes

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by Shankboye(m): 12:38pm On Feb 27, 2013
CeCe Billz: So ur 31 now? U don old ohgrin
grin lol..31 na old? Funny u, wey I dey see people dey talk 1974 here..
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by beautyuche: 10:59am On Mar 01, 2013
pafestula:
Buahaha... I dey laugh even dry roll for ground, even my country people no gree tell us the source.

My dear in a population of over 80 million youth there are about 5 million or more of them who can afford to buy a car before age 30.take a look at the amount people bought it you will realize if u save well not necessarily having a job at d oil company.it is very achievable.by d way i started working at age 20 and bought my car at age 23 even having my family to carter for and paying my school fees i still achieved dat.Today at less than 30 i am a professional in my field still growing and waxing strong.(By d way na nja i dey no be abroad oooo plus all d witches we dey.abeg its achievable if u put ur mind to it)
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 01, 2013

Agba o ni tan l'orile sir.

1959?!!!!

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by acume: 8:04pm On Mar 01, 2013
pafestula: Hello NL... This just came to my mind today, and I see it as avenue of fun, lets share the experience on how easy or though it was for some of us to acquired our first car, and at what age and how much? And also from which source? E.g I bought my first car in year 2002 at the age of 27 years then, benz 190 parded at the rate of 650,000 through office loan. Lets hear yours to keep the fun rolling... cheers

I bought my 1st car in 2003 opel omega @ 200k
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by jaybabs1(m): 3:35pm On Mar 02, 2013
Honda Prelude Sport, cant remember which year, but the Northerners call it 'Bazooka' i was 24yrs old then.
350k, was a toks.
That car? Na fire, i remember, i dusted my boss who was in a brand new 406, we did a race btwn kano and kazaure. I went on almost 170-180km/hr. Since then he prefers travelling in my car. my mum had to pray/fast for me to part ways wt that car..hahahahha sweet/risky memories
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by faffing: 4:34am On Mar 03, 2013
I was 25.Toyota camry 1999 model for N900,000
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by ivoryhouse(m): 5:42pm On Mar 04, 2013
Bought mina a VW Polo Classic, (dont know the year of manufacture) in 2005 age 28. cost N650k but i paid 200k and used it for 3days and sold it- dont really see it as a first car
Bought my first car last month (feb 6, 2013) - it hasnt arrived yet - 2006 jeep commander 3.7L V6 4x4 valued at N5m, age 36

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by lizton(m): 12:12pm On Mar 05, 2013
I bought my first car Volkswagen Bettle for 2,700 naira in 1977 from Mandilas Ebutte Metta,Lagos at the age of 21yrs.Proceed from car loan taken after my pupilage as an Elect. Engr. from NEPA ,Ijora.The Reg. No. of the car- ABG 4994 white colour .Used for 3yrs. I am 60 yrs old now .And since then I have been having not less than 3 vehicle at a time .I have used various brand name it.......

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by vinume(m): 2:57pm On Mar 11, 2013
I got my first car in 2003 @d age of 30, for 490k. It was a toyota carina 2 car.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by tunaprex: 2:46pm On Mar 12, 2013
Got mine in 2011 @ age 24, toyota matrix xr 4wd( 1.85m). I hope 2 shift 2wards benz & beemers wen pepper rest well!

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by germanyboy(f): 8:05am On Mar 13, 2013
I bought my first car when I was 12yrs EOD. Bough it den 1.9million. But now am 25yrs riding camry 2009 model bought it 2.8million. Happily married, and own three houses in abuja.
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 13, 2013
^^^and who asked u about the "houses" u claim u own? This thread is about cars and not to show off your imaginery wealth! 12yrs old kor, 6yrs old ni. Msctcheeeewww!

4 Likes

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by wewe1(m): 2:27pm On Mar 13, 2013
Bought my first car Honda Civic Hatchback 1993 model in 2010 at the age of 28 for 460k... but prior to this time in 2008, the small company I worked for then in Lagos gave me a Nissan Sunny Hatchback, (don't know the year). That car na die grin to start the car; I will switch on the ignition, open the bonnet, then start it by touching the positive head of battery with a SPECIAL WIRE.. lol. One day I forgot to shift the gear to neutral, it wasn't funny, by the time I place my special wire on the battery, the car jerked forward, before I knew was happening, the car was giving me a serious chase .... lol. if not for the some people that helped to stop the car I don't know what would have happened...

My Honda Civic Hatchback served me for 3yrs, sold it this January and I bought my current car PEUGEOT 406 2002 model.....

3 Likes

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by Ikenna351(m): 2:42pm On Mar 13, 2013
we we: Bought my first car Honda Civic Hatchback 1993 model in 2010 at the age of 28 for 460k... but prior to this time in 2008, the small company I worked for then in Lagos gave me a Nissan Sunny Hatchback, (don't know the year). That car na die grin to start the car; I will switch on the ignition, open the bonnet, then start it by touching the positive head of battery with a SPECIAL WIRE.. lol. One day I forgot to put the gear to neutral, it wasn't funny, by the time I place my special wire on the battery, the car jerked forward, before I knew was happening, the car was giving me a serious chase .... lol. if not for the some people that helped to stop the car I don't know what would have happened...

My Honda Civic Hatchback served me for 3yrs, sold it this January and I bought my current car PEUGEOT 406 2002 model.....

Didnt know you could be this funny. Lol! @ car chasing you.

Ikenna.
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by wewe1(m): 3:00pm On Mar 13, 2013
Ikenna351:

Didnt know you could be this funny. Lol! @ car chasing you.

Ikenna.

No be small thing... a lot of things went thru my mind within a split of second. ...... I wanted to stop it by holding it, but it was too powerful I couldnt stop it, so in order not to be knocked down be unmanned AUTOHANDIC car, I had to run for my dear life... grin grin
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by ziccoit: 3:23pm On Mar 13, 2013
we we:

No be small thing... a lot of things went thru my mind within a split of second. ...... I wanted to stop it by holding it, but it was too powerful I couldnt stop it, so in order not to be knocked down be unmanned AUTOHANDIC car, I had to ran for my dear life... grin grin

That would have made a great hit on YouTube grin grin grin
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by Ikenna351(m): 3:24pm On Mar 13, 2013
we we:

No be small thing... a lot of things went thru my mind within a split of second. ...... I wanted to stop it by holding it, but it was too powerful I couldnt stop it, so in order not to be knocked down be unmanned AUTOHANDIC car, I had to ran for my dear life... grin grin

I have experienced a similar thing o!

A collegue of mine Lexus auto tranny was having an ignition switch issue. So i told him i could start it for him via the engine bay. I got a flex wire somewhere and asked him to switch on the ignition. Immediately i bent down to bypass the starter solenoid wire to the terminal battery head (+), i didnt see the engine again, instead, i was looking at my shoes. Lol! I looked up and saw the car i just started racing away in reverse. Didnt understand what was going on. By the time the guy could brake and stop the car, it was meters away ftom him.

The guy jumped out and was shivering. I went close to the car to find out what happened. Instead, he was asking me "Ikenna, what happened?", as if i knew. It was when i looked inside the car that i saw that the gear lever was in "R". Meaning, he mistakenly shifted the gear to reverse, thinking he shifted it to Neutral. So when i now started the car from the engine bay, the car picked race going backward, leaving me there staring at my shoes, instead of the engine bay. I wonder what would have happened if a car was behind the Lexus.

Few weeks later, the transmission failed, which i was expecting. Such thing would kill auto transmission instantly, if care is not taken. But he was lucky it lasted him 2 weeks or so. This tells us how rugged auto trans could be!

Ikenna.
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by wewe1(m): 6:02pm On Mar 13, 2013
cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy
Lmao
We thank God that the gear lever was in reverse and not Drive oh boy....
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 14, 2013
bought my 1st car last month at age 16+ (17 by april) grin
A 2009 nissan rogue SV in ghana for 38,000 ghc
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Mar 14, 2013
germanyboy: I bought my first car when I was 12yrs EOD. Bough it den 1.9million. But now am 25yrs riding camry 2009 model bought it 2.8million. Happily married, and own three houses in abuja.
25-12 = 13...you're telling me 13 years ago that the EOD was manufactured...clap for yourself!

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by fabulous01(m): 2:48am On Mar 16, 2013
Bought mine Feb, 2013,audi 80 at 33years with save money and not loan. Praise God with me!!!26A026C8

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by ivoryhouse(m): 5:45pm On Mar 16, 2013
germanyboy: I bought my first car when I was 12yrs EOD. Bough it den 1.9million. But now am 25yrs riding camry 2009 model bought it 2.8million. Happily married, and own three houses in abuja.

really? you gotta be kidding me!

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 17, 2013
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by germanyboy(f): 6:49pm On Jun 09, 2013
Sold
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by 55gal(m): 8:36pm On Jun 09, 2013
I bought my first car last year June at age 29.2003 Honda Accord Ivtec N1.4m.
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by 735i(m): 7:40pm On Jun 10, 2013
My 1st car was forced on me at age 27 by the organisation i work for. It was a brand new Toyota Corrolla. It was like a forced loan and the repayment terms were not pocket friendly; i was almost starving to repay the loan. Eighteen months later; i liquidated the loan and sold the car. Bought a 2003 Honda Accord for 1.5M; Beautiful car. Sold it to buy an 08 Nissan Primera for 2M.(Subsidy removal forced me to do to do this. That Accord dey consume fuel like jeep)

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by Damola12: 9:54pm On Jun 12, 2013
golf3 age 25 610k

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by aikerism(m): 12:22pm On Jun 13, 2013
I bought my first car last year @ 29years for 940,000. a Mercedes c200... next will be a corolla for my wifey wink

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by DRICH1: 1:54pm On Jun 15, 2013
:
Nyerhovwo1: everyone claiming to v own a car of their before age 30 in nigeria?
when we all know the situation

I rest my case.

Bought mine at 30. at least i no dey lie....................
. Dem buy am for them now...them talk am. If u comot sch before thirty self u never get job do...cum buy car. ,hur. For where. .... My Dad no buy me one , I buy am my self @30.
Re: At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? by striker07(m): 1:59pm On Jun 19, 2013
bought my first car, camry tiny light v6, at age 29.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Made In Nigerian Buses Finally Hit Lagos Road. / Bus Driver Uses Screw Driver As Car Key In Lagos (Photos) / Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.