Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road (24782 Views)

Ferrari And Lamborghini Spotted In Lagos By FreezeCoolFm (photos) / Ayo Fayose's New Official Ride (PHOTOS) 1957 Mercedes Benz 220S Sedan / Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by komekn(m): 6:38pm On Sep 16, 2006
Hi Folks,

I am fed up of the rip off called air travel to Nigeria particularly at Christamas time.

Me and my guys some ladies too are intending to drive yes from London To Lagos and take in some sites as well.

We intend to cross into Morocco from Spain via Tangier's ferry and go Morocco - Mauritania - Mali( see Timbuktu) - Mali - Niger and then Abuja and finally Gidi.

This about pooling together yes i believe Niaja people can do this, If you have auto-mechanical, navigation, language(French and Arabic) skills and maybe for the travel sick a doctor. Participants must have 4x4 SUV's not more than 8 years old, advisable they be LHD. This will be so much fun.

We are still looking at the logistics so lots of suggestions if you have already done the route we would like to hear from you.

God Bless-- Kome
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by gigitte(f): 6:41pm On Sep 16, 2006
dang that sounds hot!
unfortunately, i don't reside in the Uk
what about security
and wont the roadfare end up being more than airfare
how much is the airfare anyway?
what is your exact route?
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Seun(m): 6:49pm On Sep 16, 2006
It's too dangerous. Please forget about it. It's too dangerous. I hope it's not the last we hear from you.

5 Likes

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by superman(m): 7:14pm On Sep 16, 2006
hahaha!
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by mowapa(m): 7:15pm On Sep 16, 2006
What is life, if u are not ready to face danger? notable discovery have been made by people u gave up some comfort to explore life. Go for it, but have your will ready just in case.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by CrazyMan(m): 7:19pm On Sep 16, 2006
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh shocked shocked shocked
don't even think about that ok? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by OldGlory1(m): 7:21pm On Sep 16, 2006
www.mapquest.com. I will recommend a rugged Land Rover for this Journey. That is one Journey i would not mind joining. What kind of Travel documents would one need? British/EU Passports? Or Just Visas at for every port of Entry? Go ahead and do the damn thing, send pics.

1 Like

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by waleleader(m): 8:14pm On Sep 16, 2006
how exciting, u guys should carry on abeg. People have done it illegally for years so why should it be dangerous to do it legally. Just carry go and endeavour to write a book when youve accomplished the quest
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by somegirl(f): 9:49pm On Sep 16, 2006
This sounds interesting. I am dreaming of doing something like that --- but in the end I might just be too scared and Seun might be right. On the other hand, I think I've read the online travel journey of somebody once who took a similar root: Spain, Morroco, down South (but I think closer to the costal line than what Komekn is proposing), following the Niger to Nigeria and then even further. Or something like that as I don't remember too well. Anyway, a friend of mine made it at least from Spain to Morroco last year. grin
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by doe: 9:55pm On Sep 16, 2006
I may be up for it if you are serious. It not going to be cheaper, but i will do it for the fun of it.
U guys must have seen the Europeans doing the cross Africa expedition.

Let me know if it does happen.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by waleleader(m): 10:57pm On Sep 16, 2006
@somegirl, maybe u were reading about Mungo Park the great explorer,lol.
As far as i know, no danger is on the way.
Nigerians are too scared of adventure, I can only wish i had the time and resources to join these adventurers
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by desiree(f): 11:02pm On Sep 16, 2006
Book your tickets well in advance so they cost less. One advice on the expedition, y'all make sure you got a British or EU passport before you venture on that journey, the Moroccan immigration system is not too friendly with non-European passport holders.

Enjoy your road trip!!!
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Seun(m): 11:08pm On Sep 16, 2006
LiquidMind said,
"I hope you have license to carry arms like Ak-47 or Bazooka to make war with armed robbers?"
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by waleleader(m): 11:11pm On Sep 16, 2006
@seun, armed robbers are humans not ghost, why fear them. i personally dont fear any man even if he's carrying a machine
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Shagari2(m): 12:16am On Sep 17, 2006
Hehe, very funny, by the time you guys get to Lagos it'll be time to come back!

But why do those airlines keep rippin us off anyway? think we should do somn about that, it costs £300 pere to go from London to NY but £700 to go to Lagos both bout the same distance, outrageous!
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by onyek: 1:58am On Sep 17, 2006
If I was in London I would definitely be up for it!! Sounds like fun!!

It's true Nigerians are not very adventurous, una too dey fear! After all oyibo people cycle round the world just with backpack and bicycle and sometimes even make money by sponsorship or getting a film company to make a documentary out of it. Hey that's an idea!!

wink
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by my2cents(m): 4:08am On Sep 17, 2006
This shd make 4 a very good show on MTV - Road Trip Africa cool

Make sure u take many pictures so you can share with us. To those who say it is dangerous, sure it is, but if oyibo didn't take the exact same risks, they wdnt hv colonized Africa.

Haba blk man, una too dey fear wink Worse case, it will just be Steve Irwin (RIP) part 2 grin
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by momoney1(m): 7:53am On Sep 17, 2006
This should make 4 a very good show on MTV - Road Trip Africa

Make sure u take many pictures so you can share with us. To those who say it is dangerous, sure it is, but if oyibo didn't take the exact same risks, they wdnt hv colonized Africa.

Haba blk man, una too dey fear Worse case, it will just be Steve Irwin (RIP) part 2

no mind black people jare. how i wish am with you guys to join this trip, it will really be a pack of fun discovery sad goodluck any way
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by dominique(f): 8:26am On Sep 17, 2006
Sounds like fun but we are talking about thousands of miles and lets face it, no car is rugged enough to survive that kind of trip. Dont get me wrong, this kind of adventure is good for the body and u can even win yourselves a spot on the guiness book of records if ur car makes it there in one piece
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by dominique(f): 8:32am On Sep 17, 2006
Sounds like fun but we are talking about thousands of miles and lets face it, no car is rugged enough to survive that kind of trip. Dont get me wrong, this kind of adventure is good for the body and u can even win yourselves a spot on the guiness book of records if ur car makes it there in one piece
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by gigitte(f): 8:45am On Sep 17, 2006
taiwo baby, there are cars rugged enough to survive that kind of trip my dear
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by dominique(f): 9:49am On Sep 17, 2006
@gigitte

yeah right.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by GNature(m): 10:25am On Sep 17, 2006
I agree with Seun. It's too dangerous

1 Like

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by md4real(m): 11:27am On Sep 17, 2006
What an adventure!go for it guys i believe it can be done but i pray "make una no pass sudan[darfur} or make una no go land for al-qaeda camp in the desert and make food plenty"
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by otokx(m): 12:45pm On Sep 17, 2006
Its too dangerous and am not talking of armed bandits, our roads are simply too bad, going from Port Harcourt to Owerri was bad enough but on returning from Lagos back to Port Harcourt, I was sure that even Mungo Park did not pass those tracks or he would have given up.

1 Like

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by qleyo(f): 1:32pm On Sep 17, 2006
It'll take you about 2 weeks to a month of driving I reckon - really. My friends drove from London to switzerland, we were going to do from London to Italy and it would have worked out to about 2 days of travel plus camping. My friend rode from Oxford to Germany on his SV 750 motorbike it took him 2 days also. Though I appreciate africa is alot bigger.

All I worry about is when you get to Niger, Algeria, Morocco, the terrain becomes very dry/dusty/desert like - and there are alot of people wanting to escape from morocco - I watched a documentary on CNN once of this Nigerian who some how managed to get from Nigeria to morocco and finally made it so spain (only to end up sleeping on the sidewalks in happiness - geez) - so try to avoid hitch hikers.

Two things I'd like to know: 1. if you have a GPS device of some sort - not necessarily with an LCD display just a GPS receiver - a friend is working on this google map web based journey tracker, that way with your GPS data (say you upload the data to his website every time you get internet access at a cafe or something) even I can do that for you we can then map out your journey and how long it takes from point to point. 2. Do you have a camera phone / camcorder / webcam? People drive cross country america (though roads are much better) on a daily basis. You definitely need a range rover or some 4x4 in pretty good nick. Thats how discovery channel and so on get around.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Shagari2(m): 1:52pm On Sep 17, 2006
otokx:
on returning from Lagos back to Port Harcourt, I was sure that even Mungo Park did not pass those tracks or he would have given up.

Hehe, LMAO! nice one. grin
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by geminibaby: 1:56pm On Sep 17, 2006
sounds like fun, but i think d wahala wil be getin visas for al these countries u r gonna pass thru7
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by onyek: 2:33pm On Sep 17, 2006
you can get the visas no problem

go for it my brothers and sisters! This would be a fantastic experience. Start a blog to chronicle the journey and maybe do a press release and send it off to the media houses. You'll definitely get coverage. People should stop being so fearful, It's an adventure. How many people get to do this in their lifetime. Make sure you have your GPS devices, mobiles, get vaccinated, proper visas, fuel,

You'll be fine!!!
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by kiwibabe(f): 4:07pm On Sep 17, 2006
I'll be praying for you all!
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by nico(m): 5:28pm On Sep 17, 2006
Unless you're an illegal or damn too cheap shocked
why would you take a long route to the UK?
Even in the olden days
the Disciples had to take a Plane at one point to reach Rome.
Anyway, May God Protect your Limbs and ass from the Armed Robbers embarassed
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by LanreDaMan(m): 7:32pm On Sep 17, 2006
Guys,
Pls it is not worth the risk
pls come by flight and go down to obudu cattle ranch
so much adventure awaits you
Pls see Living with Illegal immigrant a CNN present documentry and see the stress you wil face

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

New Plate Number: How Much In Lagos? / People Push An Overloaded Car With 25 People In Kano (Pictured) / Water Or Coolant For Radiator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.