Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down (14081 Views)

My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE / How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo / Overhead Pictures Of Ladipo Car-Parts Market In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by metti(m): 2:33pm On Feb 25, 2013
Red-Light:
smh for u people ... do u think he closed ladipo becos he hate igbo? do u know how many people that have being complaining about ladipo market filthiness? the government has decided to respond to peoples complains and here u are ranting about igbos... if the renovation work is complete, which tribe will enjoy it more? BTW did he tell igbos to live the market permanently or its only igbos using the market? so u think they should shut down alaba for no major reason? what are u smoking?

Than you very much! They are bunch of tribalists and I guess they are smoking igbo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by temhab(f): 2:34pm On Feb 25, 2013
Watch out for kantangowa market. SMH embarassed
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by naptu2: 2:36pm On Feb 25, 2013
vambi: Is that the only filthy market in lagos

Is that the only market that has been closed?
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by hurricaneChris: 2:39pm On Feb 25, 2013
Gradually the hand writing on d wall is becoming clearer.

I think Lagos is supposed to be for d well being of human beings, but am afraid human beings are rapidly becoming collateral damage for the well being of Lagos.

Let the conscience be d just judge

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by naptu2: 2:40pm On Feb 25, 2013
Mile 12 Market - shut.
Balogun Market (Breadfruit st, etc) - Shut
Yaba rail line market - shut.
Computer Village was once shut over tax issues.

It's not just about Ladipo, neither is it about Igbo traders, it's about developing Lagos.

5 Likes

Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by justmythought: 2:42pm On Feb 25, 2013
I am often disturbed by the spate of shallow reasoning among some Nigerians, most especially when it threads ethnic lines. If it were true most traders are Ibo, what about the mostly Yoruba mechanics who rely on them for supplies, or even the lost revenue to the government through tax. At times I sadly doubt we are ready for the developments we claim to deserve -- so quick to point fingers.

For the record, there are at least 20 textbook ways to ease certain groups of people out of a process. After all we all observed the increased minimum capital reqt for Nigerian businesses in Ghana--that's just one.

Being the Yoruba, I love the industriousness of the Ibo and the calm of the Hausa. Its our unique beauty and I hope we all learn to embrace this because its our only competitive advantage as a nation. NO WAZOBIA, means WEAK BLACK RACE.

After environmental standards have been adhered to, then we would see if indeed its a *cleansing exercise*

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by hurricaneChris: 2:47pm On Feb 25, 2013
naptu2: Mile 12 Market - shut.

It's not just about Ladipo, neither is it about Igbo traders, it's about developing Lagos.

I jus wanna agree with u bro,

"it's about developing Lagos" ....yes! But what hav u done to stop some employed youths who hav seen d collection of money frm developers as their means of survival?

I think "omonile" is part of d development in lagos huh?

Let's be sincere for once!!

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by Nostradamu(m): 2:53pm On Feb 25, 2013
buchi4action: embarassed why do lagos state gov bent on fighting igbo traders.....ONE NIGERIA MY FOOT

yeah u have an opinion to express....buh try just tryyyyyyyyyyyyyy to open your mind!!!!!!
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by Symphony007: 2:55pm On Feb 25, 2013
The personification of pure idiocy called the lagos state government is upgrading lagos to a mega city so lagosians should also change their mentality to a mega status...what's market? Start shopping in malls!! Fashola's lagos is not for poor men o, if you can't meet up return to your home state.
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by Nostradamu(m): 3:01pm On Feb 25, 2013
metti: tongue embarassed embarassed
I'm sorry that i have to get verbal with that clown called Buchi4fool or warreva...but i think he or she is a FOOL.....
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by FreeGlobe(f): 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2013
Symphony007: The personification of pure idiocy called the lagos state government is upgrading lagos to a mega city so lagosians should also change their mentality to a mega status...what's market? Start shopping in malls!! Fashola's lagos is not for poor men o, if you can't meet up return to your home state.
what a fool you are. So where will the indigenous Lagos poor people numbering millions return to? to your house? fool

2 Likes

Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by Etumgbe(m): 3:03pm On Feb 25, 2013
My brother own don finish. Where he go put head now? Fashola e no good oooooo
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by RuuDie(m): 3:05pm On Feb 25, 2013
naptu2: Mile 12 Market - shut.

On the surface, this whole operation appears like 'cleansing' of some sorts; maybe not tribal but socio-economic. I look at the work being done in Yaba particular and I ask myself if most of the previous occupants will be able to get their shops back... those new shops look like they will cost a fortune!
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by naptu2: 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2013
RuuDie:

On the surface, this whole operation appears like 'cleansing' of some sorts; maybe not tribal but socio-economic. I look at the work being done in Yaba particular and I ask myself if most of the previous occupants will be able to get their shops back... those new shops look like they will cost a fortune!

I have said previously that much of what Fashola is doing in Lagos is not new. If you study the Jakande masterplan, you'll understand what Fashola is doing.

The answer to your question is "long term government backed mortgages". How long did it take people to pay for Jakande houses? How much did they pay per month or per year?
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by naptu2: 3:16pm On Feb 25, 2013
hurricaneChris:

I jus wanna agree with u bro,

"it's about developing Lagos" ....yes! But what hav u done to stop some employed youths who hav seen d collection of money frm developers as their means of survival?

I think "omonile" is part of d development in lagos huh?

Let's be sincere for once!!

1) What have I done? cheesy Am I the governor?

2) What does omonile have to do with closure of Ladipo Market?

When you answer these questions, then I might have a better explanation for you.
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by moshoodn(m): 3:17pm On Feb 25, 2013
Tribalists everywhere....

Nigeria is @ stake.
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by etonslogistics: 3:19pm On Feb 25, 2013
Hmmmmm call it a tribal war u may not b entirely wrong.......
1. From general stat, 7 out 10 markets in Lagos state are seriously dirty, why always single out Ladipo auto-parts mart.

2. A certain tribe are known for trading @ Ladipo market.

3. List of some dirty markets in Lagos some are even Dirtier than Ladipo mart;
Mile12 market by mile12,
Boundary market by marine beach,
Idioro market by mushin
Alaba rago market by okoko exp.
Agege market.e.t.c.
Yet they are operational.

Is it not worrying that the closure of the market falls within d same period of government is having legal issues with the ''Market Leadership'', (since 2012 till date) the President has been detained by Lagos state govt, using it's Judiciary arm as the weapon.
With the Leadership in confusion who guides the market??.
If you see the market as bn dirty, is closing it the solution?, rmba Ladipo is a ''cluster of street shops'' meanin it's not even planned, so if the government is bn sincere abt dis,dn it should reolcate dm. To a well planned and mapped out area, considering the number of pple it employs, issues it helps resolve, family dat make their living there and bn the largest autopart mart in the State.
Or
A ppp btw d traders assoc. d landlords & state govt, to restructure the area like Tejuosho mkt, (gradually raising an organised mart, wt modernized structures and facilities and access roads).
Or
Set up a meeting with d whateva is left of the Leadership or an interim Leadership and Landlords in the area to av LAWMA personnels e.g 30 or 40 attached to d mart and 2 trucks, their job is to kip the mart clean. Sweepin the entire area everymornin by 5:00am or 6:00am or evening 10pm, dis is also a form of employment and the bills and salary of workers are sorted by the Traders association & Landlords.

Just my own idea and view on the Matter!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by solomon111(m): 3:25pm On Feb 25, 2013
Exponental: What is d govt's plan? To clean up n charge them, relocate them or what??
Development has a price 2 pay...... It is not about ibos but about LAGOSIANS!
And why was this sentiment not followed during the removal of fuel subsidy,afterall it would aid private investments in refineries and reduce corruption?
Why the mass protests?
But when it's fashola,we turn a blind eye,claiming it's a price we have to pay for development.
Even ghana have withdrawn fuel subsidy.
Double-standards,double-standards and more double-standards.

2 Likes

Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by naptu2: 3:29pm On Feb 25, 2013
[size=14pt]Lagos Shuts Mile 12 Market Over Poor Sanitation[/size] by adewasco2k(m): 8:12am On Feb 02, 2012

adewasco2k: By Olasunkanmi Akoni & Monsur Olowoopejo
LAGOS — Lagos State Government, Wednessday, sealed the popular Mile 12 market, in Ikosi-Isheri Local Council Development Area, LCDA, over various environmental offences.

Similarly, the state government has threatened to shut Oko Oba Abattoir and Lairage in Agege Local Government Area, if the unhygienic practices and non compliance with the relevant laws governing meat slaughtering continued.

It also inaugurated a 17-man task force committee on the abattoir and animal markets in the state with the aim of ensuring wholesome practices.

On the Mile 12 market closure, men of the state Environmental Taskforce on Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences Agency stormed the market in the early hours of yesterday and shut it.

The state Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello, explained that the closure became necessary following failure by the market leaders to comply with the state government directives of ensuring sanity in the market.

Bello listed three environmental offences committed by the traders to include lack of ability to control drivers of lorries, who discharge foodstuff, that is, lack of traffic discipline; poor sanitary condition of the market and indiscriminate parking by customers on the highway, among others.

He said: “We had a stakeholders’ meeting with the market leaders earlier where they promised to comply with the directive, but after giving them a specified period of time without any improvement, the state government had to move in to save the deteriorating situation of the moment.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/02/lagos-shuts-mile-12-market-over-poor-sanitation/
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by Biggyd2: 3:30pm On Feb 25, 2013
MORE TO COME

Lagos plans to wipe out slums FEBRUARY 25, 2013 BY SESAN OLUFOWOBI

Lagos State Government on Sunday said it could no longer allow slums to flourish in the state if it wanted to ensure safety and be taken serious as a mega city.

Chairman of the state Taskforce on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit, Bayo Sulaiman, said this while supervising the continuous demolition of some shanties in Iganmu-Alawo community in Apapa Iganmu Local Council Development Area, which started on Saturday.

No fewer than 10,000 residents are expected to be displaced in the 40-year-old community at the end of the exercise.

But Sulaiman, a Chief Superintendent of Police, said, “Government can no longer allow continuous existence of slums. Slums cannot flourish in the centre of a state with megacity plan.

“We cannot achieve mega city status with these slums. For instance, the Nigerian Breweries is very close to this area and there are some other industries around here. To allow a slum to remain here is not acceptable.”

Suliaman, who praised the residents for “cooperating” with government, said the people had accepted government plan for the area.

He said, “There is no resistant from anybody, they were informed so there is cooperation. Some of them have removed the roofs of their buildings.

“I think we have been on this issue for more than six months.

“Relevant ministries are on the ground. The Ministry of Physical of Planning and Urban Development, Lagos State Building Control Agency, Ministry of Agriculture and other stakeholders are on the ground to implement government’s decision.”

He said the government had alternative plan for the residents who had approval on their lands and buildings.

However, the Baale of the Community, Chief Lucas Medunoye, said the community was created in 1973 after the National Theatre was built by the government.

He said, “We were formerly living in Ilaje-Iganmu where the National Art Theatre is situated, but the Federal Government moved us to this place to enable them to build the Art Theatre in 1973.”

He urged the state government to come to the aid of the community by relocating the “over 10, 000” residents.
http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-plans-to-wipe-out-slums/
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by thaoriginator: 3:44pm On Feb 25, 2013
Born 2be Rich:

The funny thing is that change has to come with a price....Ladipo market to be honest is filty and disgusting...if the traders there( pls note it is not only igbos that trade there) refused to keep the place clean and serene then what the government did is absolutely correct..

We keep complaining about so many things we dont have the slightest understanding of...The lagos state govt has laid emphasies on making lagos a mega city and this is one of the steps in making it a reality...

If you keep an environment clean and observe decency then the govt can never say they want it shut down...

What pisses me off is that majority of all the people saying the lagos state govt is fighting igbos can never try what they are doing in ladipo in advanced countries like U.S or U.K without being fined or even arrested...

Let Mr. Fashola continue his good work and hope other greedy governors are watching him making a change...
na so!

Check out this thread www.nairaland.com/1207065/introducing-quick-smart-program-online
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by romanlaw(m): 3:53pm On Feb 25, 2013
WAITING PATIENTLY FOR EKO ILE ABI ILE EKO TO COME WITH HER INSULTS TO THE RESCUE CUM DEFENCE OF FASHOLA AND TRIBAL BASHING AGAINST MY NNA BROTHERS.........
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by udokpuenyi(m): 4:00pm On Feb 25, 2013
This is a closure too many, every successive government in Lagos has always closed this market for one flimsy reason or the other. During Tinubu regime it was an annual ritual, and Fashola has continued from where Tinubu stopped. Any poster who says that this closure is devoid of tribal undertone is just talking jargon. The market may not clean but the traders are trying their best, what else do u expect from tokunbo market where oil and grease is the order of the day, may be we are expecting to look like VGC garden abi.

I attended Fashola campaign really in front of PromiseLand enterance of this same market in 2011, where he promised to fix the roads that lead to the market both the toyota and 5 star axis including water to the market.Up to this moment, those campaign promises have remain like a promise made to a girl while "toasting" her and once you get what you want, you disappear. Try to enter that market through toyota axis, you will understand that this inhuman government has no moral to close that market because they are not doing their part to make the market environmental friendly, or its good road and water not part of good environment.

What Lagos state government need from Igbo traders is money, 50 million , 100 million or more to quench their exploitative thirst under ther guise of the market is dirty and thereafter the market will be open till next year, when they will close it again. do you know how much the traders pay to both state and local government under different taxes and levies. What benefit are the getting from government.

I always avoid tribal rants in this forum but one thing I am sure is that hatred for Igbo will always make us stronger. My problem with Igbos is that we can never speak with one voice else one day we will tell this government that democracy is a function of numbers.

Ladipo is is 99% Igbo market take it or leave, next year it will be close down again and the cycle continues

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by Valto(m): 4:03pm On Feb 25, 2013
shuting out thousands of young guys , will have an adverse effect soon

1 Like

Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by patostation(m): 4:15pm On Feb 25, 2013
Anytime Governor Fashola wants to close markets, we can predict with 90% accuracy which markets it will be. We know how many times Ladipo market has been closed, how many times Yaba has been closed etc. But we also know that Lagos is one big marketplace with markets in virtually every area and they all share similar sanitary conditions. In Ikeja area for instance, I have never heard that Alade, Ipodo or Agege Abbattoire markets have ev er been closed. We are watching.
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by Hardfact: 4:20pm On Feb 25, 2013
Sad this closure is coming despite that over the weekend, the Ladipo traders undertook marketwide cleanup exercise in response to gov's 'warning'. At same time the same gov is busy forcefully driving some 10-20 thousand low Iganmu residents from their abode, which gov called "slum", just after some days notice. These are interesting times! Someone must have an uphill task convincing all that Fashola's gov's not elitist, capitalist, and has room for commoners.
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by naptu2: 4:34pm On Feb 25, 2013
Alade market was closed in 2004 and I think it's been closed at other times too.

There are some people that I wish are still alive today, so that I can have a good argument with them.

In the 1980s and 90s, Lagos was touted as the "dirtiest city in the world". People complained about the filth and lack of order. There were regular articles in Nigerian and even foreign newspapers condemning the general lack of order and filth in Lagos. Citizens complain "don't they travel abroad and see how things are?" They, of course, are government officials. I always said that, should government decide to do something about the filth, the same citizens would be up in arms. That's where we are today.
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by Hardfact: 4:37pm On Feb 25, 2013
e-tonslogistics:
Hmmmmm call it a tribal war u may not b entirely wrong.......
1. From general stat, 7 out 10 markets in Lagos state are seriously dirty, why always single out Ladipo auto-parts mart.

2. A certain tribe are known for trading @ Ladipo market.

3. List of some dirty markets in Lagos some are even Dirtier than Ladipo mart;
Mile12 market by mile12,
Boundary market by marine beach,
Idioro market by mushin
Alaba rago market by okoko exp.
Agege market.e.t.c.
Yet they are operational.

Is it not worrying that the closure of the market falls within d same period of government is having legal issues with the ''Market Leadership'', (since 2012 till date) the President has been detained by Lagos state govt, using it's Judiciary arm as the weapon.
With the Leadership in confusion who guides the market??.
If you see the market as bn dirty, is closing it the solution?, rmba Ladipo is a ''cluster of street shops'' meanin it's not even planned, so if the government is bn sincere abt dis,dn it should reolcate dm. To a well planned and mapped out area, considering the number of pple it employs, issues it helps resolve, family dat make their living there and bn the largest autopart mart in the State.
Or
A ppp btw d traders assoc. d landlords & state govt, to restructure the area like Tejuosho mkt, (gradually raising an organised mart, wt modernized structures and facilities and access roads).
Or
Set up a meeting with d whateva is left of the Leadership or an interim Leadership and Landlords in the area to av LAWMA personnels e.g 30 or 40 attached to d mart and 2 trucks, their job is to kip the mart clean. Sweepin the entire area everymornin by 5:00am or 6:00am or evening 10pm, dis is also a form of employment and the bills and salary of workers are sorted by the Traders association & Landlords.

Just my own idea and view on the Matter!!!!
NO SIR! Lag State only prefers the zombie approach - just ban them, or shut them down!
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by buchi4action(m): 4:41pm On Feb 25, 2013
segzi cres: Who is this one always making noise about "ibo" people? Please have sense na........this affects LAGOS STATE not a certain tribe. Damn!
Don't you know that 80 percent of the traders in ladipo market are igbo's?
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by Symphony007: 4:42pm On Feb 25, 2013
FreeGlobe:
what a fool you are. So where will the indigenous Lagos poor people numbering millions return to? to your house? fool
either of three things is wrong with you. Either you can't read, you're so dull you don't understand irony or you're just a plain fool! Go study irony.
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by GboyegaD(m): 4:48pm On Feb 25, 2013
Born 2be Rich:

The funny thing is that change has to come with a price....Ladipo market to be honest is filty and disgusting...if the traders there( pls note it is not only igbos that trade there) refused to keep the place clean and serene then what the government did is absolutely correct..

We keep complaining about so many things we dont have the slightest understanding of...The lagos state govt has laid emphasies on making lagos a mega city and this is one of the steps in making it a reality...

If you keep an environment clean and observe decency then the govt can never say they want it shut down...

What pisses me off is that majority of all the people saying the lagos state govt is fighting igbos can never try what they are doing in ladipo in advanced countries like U.S or U.K without being fined or even arrested...

Let Mr. Fashola continue his good work and hope other greedy governors are watching him making a change...

What arrangement has he in place for them? I don't have a challenge with him displacing them provided he's made an arrangement of where to relocate them to otherwise, it is worthless. Besides, my understanding of your post is that by transforming Lagos to a Mega city, residents of Ajegunle, Ijora Badia etc should be awaiting their displacement soonest right?
Re: Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down by Born2beRich1(m): 4:48pm On Feb 25, 2013
buchi4action:
Don't you know that 80 percent of the traders in ladipo market are igbo's?

So because 80% of the traders are igbos the govt should fold their arms while the filt and smelling odour continue abi? When a foriegn website tommorow rates lagos as one of the dirties cities in the world, am sure you will be one of the first set of people insulting fashola for failling to meet up to his vision of making lagos a mega city...

Abeg lets put sentiments aside, the place called ladipo is an eye sore and the lagos govt are working to stop all this giving the state a bad reputation as one of the dirties...

As for those saying they fashola cannot try it in alaba market should be ready for the shock of their lives becos lagos wants to take a new shape and it has to start one day...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bajaj Is About To Buy Ducati / New Zealand Dogs Pass Driving Test / 5 Signs That Indicates You Need Your Tyre Replaced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.