Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,315 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

Trademark Registration in Nigeria - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Trademark Registration in Nigeria (43325 Views)

Frequently Asked Questions: A-Z Of Company Registration In Nigeria / Trademark Registeration In Nigeria (all Your Questions Answered In A Simple Way) / Business Name Registration In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by MCMartins1: 10:52am On Jan 28, 2011
I WONDER WHY WE DONT HAVE ANY INFORMATION ONLINE ABOUT TM IN NIGERIA. PLS IF YOU KNOW OF ANY HELP ME.
callojomartins@yahoo.com
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by patmark: 9:03pm On Apr 03, 2011
hi, Martins, what information precisely do u require on trademark and i should be able to give u
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by omogidi234(m): 9:11am On Apr 25, 2011
prophecy:

Apparently for your trademark to be recognized internationally, the country you register in has to be a member of the Madrid Protocol, relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks, the you file the trademark under the Madrid agreement you can find this here http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/law/madrid/index.jsp. Nigeria is not a member of the Madrid protocol as of today.

I reckon all major companies coming into Nigeria will most definitely carry out local registration of their trademarks, since Nigeria is not a member and i'm quite sure they would know this.

Just to chip in since the real answer to the main topic has not been fully dealt with, i'm trying to get 2 trademarks registered and the lawyer has billed me 85k each, i'm still shopping to see if i can get it cheaper, she's in Lagos, i'm sure someone in Abuja can do it cheaper.

Also using the ™ has no legal backing it just says you're laying claim to that trademark, usually used when you have started your registration exercise and its in process and does not mean ownership till the process is complete.

I did a trademark registration for an Italian brand of mobile phone in 2002 and it cost me like 40k i think back then.

Trade Mark office upwardly reviewed its fees in September, 2010. In line with this and vis-a-vis the official fee, I think the lawyer is fair to you. Please go ahead.

1 Like

Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by agwuna: 5:18pm On May 04, 2011
Are u interested in TradeMark registration(Name and device), Patent and Company Registration?or do you wish to set up a new business with a business partner or a friend and you need Proper legal documentation before commencement of the business, Kindly contact "The Solicitor" on 08038567212 or eomlegal@gmail.com.

remain assured of ny highest regard
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by agwuna: 5:28pm On May 04, 2011
ARE U CONCERNED ABOUT HOW TO START UP A SMALL BUSINESS IN NIGERIA? U NEED TO REGISTER YOUR FIRM WITH LITTLE TO NOTHING COMPARED TO THE INCOME IN VIEW. U MAY INQUIRE FROM-eomlegal@gmail.com
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by omogidi234(m): 8:16am On May 13, 2011
MC Martins:

I WONDER WHY WE DONT HAVE ANY INFORMATION ONLINE ABOUT TM IN NIGERIA. PLS IF YOU KNOW OF ANY HELP ME.
callojomartins@yahoo.com

I just saw this post now, I very much doubt if the Trade Mark/Patent office in Abuja is on-line. There are a few federal government agencies that are on-line. Even the ones on-line like CAC, DPR etc are not real time and you cannot interface with them. You probably have to download application or information and you proceed to their nearby office (s) for further inquiry. I advise that you go to the Trade Mark/Patent office in Abuja or you employ the services of a professional. For now, you can register your own/foreign Trade Mark/Patent/Design.
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by agwuna: 12:31pm On May 17, 2011
we assist with the registration of your trade name, trade mark and device. call 08038567212
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by chino4(m): 6:36pm On May 17, 2011
She billed you 85k because she has to come to abuja to do it and the payment would include her transportation.
I can do it for 50k because i reside in abuja but if she is a close friend i advise you to give it to her to boost her professional competence.cheers.
It should take about 2weeks to get it registered but to get the certificate issued would take between 3 -6 months and the billing above excludes the amount you would pay for the certificate.
You can reach me on 08033589393.peter
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by mulumele(m): 4:58pm On Aug 14, 2011
@prophecy
Please I need to ask you some questions on this issue.Can I have your e-mail or phone number?
Many thanks.
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by danny4ngn(m): 4:33am On Sep 04, 2011
Can some kind one share a phone copy of trade mark registration certificate?
Pls scan and mail to me:danny4ngn@yahoo.com
Many thanks.

Good luck.
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by NAFDACGURU(m): 5:01am On Nov 19, 2011
All product coming into Nigeria either drugs,foods,drinks the trademark have to be register in Nigeria,it doesnt matter who may be the owner of the trademark.The trademark could be register in the name of the manufacture or the local importer,depending on their agreement. But all the same some certain product that nafdac the agency controls in nigeria,you must register the trademark in nigeria or wise your application will not be accepted.
Meaning you will have to register the branding name in Nigeria.so for further info cal,i want to help.
+2348121724280 or +2348186018734
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 6:06am On Nov 19, 2011
I get it now
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by page9(m): 7:48am On Sep 06, 2012
Well, i do know that lawyers will need to survive and it is only natural that most if not all lawyers will recommend that you go through lawyers to do your Trade Mark or Company registrations as the case may be.

The choice is yours to decide. The truth of the matter is that you can do both trademark and company registrations(enterprise &limited) yourself with a little help from the officials of these govt agencies.

I did my first company registration through a lawyer friend @ N150k way back in 2001 and Trade mark with d same lawyer for 60k in also in 2001.

Now, in 2012 with the help of ''friends'' who are officials of both agencies, i did same company registration for N50k! and trademark for 30k. Infact, trademark just reviewed the fees from 17k to 25k, the official amount to pay to bank out of the 17k used to be 7k! The rest was for settlement.

Now, i don't know the official fees but i know trademark can be done with less 35k or less. The truth is, the lawyers also depend on d same officials. An if you have good contacts in the agencies, you can monitor the process until the certificate is out.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours. On court cases over trademark, there are cases concerning trademarks registered by lawyers too. I am an industrialist and i do not engage in trademark business but we need to demystify all these to enlighten the public.

I probably won't pay what i paid in 2001 if i had the information i have now, then.

2 Likes

Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by mikerob116(m): 8:43am On Sep 06, 2012
page9: Well, i do know that lawyers will need to survive and it is only natural that most if not all lawyers will recommend that you go through lawyers to do your Trade Mark or Company registrations as the case may be.

The choice is yours to decide. The truth of the matter is that you can do both trademark and company registrations(enterprise &limited) yourself with a little help from the officials of these govt agencies.

I did my first company registration through a lawyer friend @ N150k way back in 2001 and Trade mark with d same lawyer for 60k in also in 2001.

Now, in 2012 with the help of ''friends'' who are officials of both agencies, i did same company registration for N50k! and trademark for 30k. Infact, trademark just reviewed the fees from 17k to 25k, the official amount to pay to bank out of the 17k used to be 7k! The rest was for settlement.

Now, i don't know the official fees but i know trademark can be done with less 35k or less. The truth is, the lawyers also depend on d same officials. An if you have good contacts in the agencies, you can monitor the process until the certificate is out.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours. On court cases over trademark, there are cases concerning trademarks registered by lawyers too. I am an industrialist and i do not engage in trademark business but we need to demystify all these to enlighten the public.

I probably won't pay what i paid in 2001 if i had the information i have now, then.

thanks for this useful info

1 Like

Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by Valemodi(f): 11:51pm On Oct 03, 2012
How abt if i av an idea based on entertainment,can i obtain a trademark for it,inorder to protect my idea.tnx
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by mikerob116(m): 11:39am On Oct 04, 2012
Val.emodi:
How abt if i av an idea based on entertainment,can i obtain a trademark for it,inorder to protect my idea.tnx

I later discovered from a Lawyer that For intellectual works, what you do is COPYRIGHT and not Trademark as earlier believed.

so i think its COPYRIGHT you should do for your work.

Best of luck

3 Likes

Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by LOUDmedia(m): 12:15am On Apr 07, 2013
A TradeMark is a sign, name, mark, symbol, design or a combination of these used to identify a product or service
from that of another. A trademark is owned by the proprietor who registered it and cannot be used by any other persons or institution. This can legally protect your trademark from use by a competitor. TradeMarks may include a name, logo, slogan, domain name, shape, colour or sound.

Requirements for Registration of a TradeMark
1. The regular applicant's details
2. The Trademark information and Goods/Services covered by such trademark
3. Any supporting document where necessary
4. A Power of Attorney granting the agent to act on your behalf.

The duration of registering a TradeMark could take up to 3 to 4 months. This is inclusive of the initial search which could last 3 to 4 weeks, and a 2 months waiting to allow for opposition when the application for TM is published in the TradeMark Journal.
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by jasedu60: 9:27pm On May 01, 2013
www.NigeriaTM.com

Welcome to Nigeria TM webpost, the online Nigerian patent and trademark resource, our website is not own or managed by the Nigeria Patent or Trademark Authority. NigeriaTM.com is a private non-governmental organisation set to deliver effective and efficient company requirements for Nigeria businesses.

Nigeria TM services include:
Trade Mark Search
Trade Mark Registration
Company Registration

Currently, Nigeria does not offer online Patent and Trademark registration, We at Nigeria TM offer complete web service since the Nigeria Patent database is not accessible online.

Any foreign entity or individual having no permanent residence or business, ventures and enterprises establishing its presence in Nigeria, according to Nigerian Patent and Trademark Laws, must have a representative in Nigeria prior to submitting application for the Nigerian patent and trademark.

With our offices: Lagos | England | USA

visit to read more.. or apply online
www.NigeriaTM.com
https://www.facebook.com/NigeriaTrademark

Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by jasedu60: 9:31pm On May 01, 2013
https://www.gateway.ng/

Welcome to NigeriaTM webpost, the online Nigerian patent and trademark resource, our website is not own or managed by the Nigeria Patent or Trademark Authority. NigeriaTM.com is a private non-governmental organisation set to deliver effective and efficient company requirements for Nigeria businesses.

Nigeria TM services include:
Trade Mark Search
Trade Mark Registration
Company Registration

Currently, Nigeria does not offer online Patent and Trademark registration, We at Nigeria TM offer complete web service since the Nigeria Patent database is not accessible online.

Any foreign entity or individual having no permanent residence or business, ventures and enterprises establishing its presence in Nigeria, according to Nigerian Patent and Trademark Laws, must have a representative in Nigeria prior to submitting application for the Nigerian patent and trademark.

With our offices: Lagos | England | USA

visit to read more.. or apply online
www.gateway.ng
https://www.facebook.com/NigeriaTrademark

Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by omogidi234(m): 6:49pm On May 02, 2013
page9: Well, i do know that lawyers will need to survive and it is only natural that most if not all lawyers will recommend that you go through lawyers to do your Trade Mark or Company registrations as the case may be.

Many thanks for this insightful post. I quite agree with you, I mean Why pay a lawyer/professional a huge sum of money when you could do it yourself or use an in-house person? These are services you can conveniently complete online in other climes.
But please let me add this; when you pay a lawyer/professional for services you can possibly do yourself, you are taking off the stress involved in that line of services off your neck. As for people in-house, lawyer use them with PR to assist in speeding up the process and not necessarily to do the work. Let us look at company registration, as a staff of CAC you are not expected to do personal work, if you do and you are caught, disciplinary measures would be taken against you and such work would probably be kept in view. Although, it is the order of the day in most government agencies but the truth is " if you are caught" you will pay dearly as it is against Civil Service Regulation. In this case, lawyers would have completed all the necessary paper work, submit/file and ask the staff member to help follow up, this applies to the TM issue as well. So please "don't get it twisted" like D'banj would say.

To top it off, a professional can charge any amount for any service rendered to you as long it is separated from statutory fees.
Without trying to overdo it, even if someone pays a huge/questionable sum into your account, if you can claim with documents that it is professional fees, that would be the end of such inquiry. The point here is that no Law regulates Professional fees in Nigeria, people charge based on standing and years of experience and professional fees are not subjected to inquiry.

Many thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by LOUDmedia(m): 5:57am On May 03, 2013
omogidi234:

Many thanks for this insightful post. I quite agree with you, I mean Why pay a lawyer/professional a huge sum of money when you could do it yourself or use an in-house person? These are services you can conveniently complete online in other climes.
But please let me add this; when you pay a lawyer/professional for services you can possibly do yourself, you are taking off the stress involved in that line of services off your neck. As for people in-house, lawyer use them with PR to assist in speeding up the process and not necessarily to do the work. Let us look at company registration, as a staff of CAC you are not expected to do personal work, if you do and you are caught, disciplinary measures would be taken against you and such work would probably be kept in view. Although, it is the order of the day in most government agencies but the truth is " if you are caught" you will pay dearly as it is against Civil Service Regulation. In this case, lawyers would have completed all the necessary paper work, submit/file and ask the staff member to help follow up, this applies to the TM issue as well. So please "don't get it twisted" like D'banj would say.

To top it off, a professional can charge any amount for any service rendered to you as long it is separated from statutory fees.
Without trying to overdo it, even if someone pays a huge/questionable sum into your account, if you can claim with documents that it is professional fees, that would be the end of such inquiry. The point here is that no Law regulates Professional fees in Nigeria, people charge based on standing and years of experience and professional fees are not subjected to inquiry.

Many thanks.

Well spoken!!!

1 Like

Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by utimatedes(m): 7:19am On Jul 08, 2013
Is trademark registered in Nigeria recognized internationally?
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by jasedu60: 11:21pm On Mar 17, 2015
utimatedes:
Is trademark registered in Nigeria recognized internationally?

No, It is only Nationally recognized. However, recognized in most west African country.
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by jasedu60: 11:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
Nigeria Trademark ONLINE

Trademark search ONLY is $160 (for one class) and $ 60each for other class, up to 44 extra classes
Trademark Full Application ONLY is $880 (for one class) and $ 800each for other class, up to 44 extra classes

(There are 45 International trademark classes in Nigeria trademark system, the number 1 class you enquire about is charged at the 1st price and other classes are charged at the extra rate)

Nigeria trademark scenario example: Let's say you want to trademark "ABC food" in 4 Classes (Classes - 3, 4, 15 and 34).
We will advice that you carry out a search before paying for full application, as payment made are not refundable.
Let's assume, you want to do a SEARCH ONLY and (may be you are not ready to register the mark now, or you are planning to register it once you have confirmed the mark is available to be registered).

Search only price will be calculated as explained below:
1st Class $160 and other Classes $60each for "ABC food" in 4 Classes (Classes - 3, 4, 15, 34)
Fee will be = Class 3 $160
= Classes 4,15 and 34 (60 X 3) $180
= $340

Please note: Search ONLY is not a part payment from the full application.

Full application on the other hand will be as explained below:
1st Class $880 and other Classes $800each for "ABC food" in 4 Classes (Classes - 3, 4, 15 and 34)
Fee will be = Class 3 $880
= Classes 4,15 and 34 (800 X 3) $2400
= $3,280

Order - Certificate Printing
1st Class $300 and other Classes $250each for "ABC food" in 4 Classes (Classes - 3, 4, 15 and 34)
Fee will be = Class 3 $300
= Classes 4,15 and 34 (250 X 3) $750
= $1,050

Change of details (Name, Address etc)
1st Class $310 and other Classes $250each for "ABC food" in 4 Classes (Classes - 3, 4, 15 and 34)
Fee will be = Class 3 $310
= Classes 4,15 and 34 (250 X 3) $750
= $1,060

www.NigeriaTM.com
UK: +44 79 60 78 0109
Nigeria: 081 3232 1414
‪#‎NigeriaTrademark‬ ‪#‎Nigeria‬ ‪#‎NigeriaBusiness‬ ‪#‎NigeriaInnovators‬ ‪#‎NigeriaInvestors‬ ‪#‎Nigerian‬
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by jasedu60: 12:52am On Mar 22, 2015
If you are feeling a little unsafe about paying some, simple use WowPay, since you can dispute the transaction up to 14days after you have paid.

#WowPay - Redefining Nigeria Payment.

www.WowPay.com
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by cmoney22222: 6:21am On Apr 11, 2015
Hello, how can I get a trade license for my small business in Nigeria. Thanks
Re: Trademark Registration in Nigeria by lizdammy: 4:50pm On Aug 19, 2015
Thanks for the info.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Orders Google, Apple To Deactivate ‘illegal’ Online Banks, Loan Apps / Bill Gates Celebrates His Dad On Father's Day, Says He's The Real 'Bill Gates' / Tony Elumelu Pictured With Kupe Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.