Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,182 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally (25199 Views)

A Young Nigerian Software Developer Blast Indians / Why Nigerian Software Firms Are Absent On The Global Map / Top Earners in the Nigerian Software Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by barrybanbi: 12:17am On Mar 10, 2013
I can't vouch of global impact, but locally they are making waves
1. Payment gateway:eyowo
2. Open VR by INITS
Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by calcal: 7:16am On Mar 10, 2013
WHO BI THE CRAZY PERSON WEY WAN USE NAIJA SOFTWARE OUTSIDE NAIJA, WHAT OF IF THE SOFTWARE IS TRANSFERRING DATA TO UNKNOWN SOURCE TO BE USE BY 419

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by ShalomNigeria: 8:13am On Mar 10, 2013
MrBible: But Nigerian Church businesses are competing globally, you'll find them in every country on this planet very soon they will be on the Moon, Mars and other planets, this shows we've got talents too and it is about time we use these skills applied in making these Nigerian Church businesses to compete globally, in the field of software development, so that our software can compete globally too.
grin grin grin
Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by FRANKBENN(m): 9:16am On Mar 10, 2013
ghostofsparta: Please expatiate on the Remita s/w , what does it do? Is it like paypal ?

Simply browse it frm Google.
Do sm research, jst dt u will b more highlightenin than here
Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by OsunOriginal: 9:58am On Mar 10, 2013
You see, Nigerian government is not yet ready to join other global players in IT. Ordinary cybercafe applications, we can't boast of 5 major players in a country of 170 million human beings and we keep crying unemployment.

It is really disheartening that even after years of turning out graduates from schools in IT related courses, we dont still have a banking application that can compete internationally. Government is busy looting the country instead of investing in the people and providing infrastructure required for this vital sector. The few pioneering opportunists/business owners in the IT industry wont help the situation - they are too shortsighted and only interested in shorterm personal benefits.

Today we have chalatans parading themselves as IT professionals and the whole industry has been turned into mere buying and selling of technologies from developed countries.

It is really a pity and I dont see hope in sight except we have leaders who could see the potentials in this industry and ready to develop it. Today we have a leader who would set aside N3B to develop Nolywood. What stops us from setting aside fund to develop software development industry and providing the required infrastructure? This is an industry that can produce millions of jobs for Nigerians within and out of the country. It can also become a major source of foreign earning for country.

Indian has got to this level and we have China compteting with even the US and the rest of the west in this area. When are we going to start?

- a concerned professional

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by OsunOriginal: 10:05am On Mar 10, 2013
MrBible: But Nigerian Church businesses are competing globally, you'll find them in every country on this planet very soon they will be on the Moon, Mars and other planets, this shows we've got talents too and it is about time we use these skills applied in making these Nigerian Church businesses to compete globally, in the field of software development, so that our software can compete globally too.

Software development business is not about lying and deceiving people. It is not about dogmatic belief and lazily hoping for God to come and help you with everything.

Software development and technology generally is about trusting in yourself and working towards achieving the goals you have set out for yourself.

Hence, the two dont go together and are mutually exclusive. Those churches as we do it here are the reason we are this backward because people dont bother to exercise their brains again - they want God to do everthing for them.
Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by wy2000(m): 1:57pm On Mar 10, 2013
Mgbadike80: Nigerians love big words like africas largest tv network, africa largest political party, now we have graduated global competing. What a self deceit. I can boldly say that 99% of nigerian university computer lecturers have never built a commercial software in their entire careers yet they go about appending phd and professor to their names. The student are not only totally deficient but are ignorant that they are deficient. I will rather study applied maths in a nigerian university than computer science. Mmadụ ana eji aka ya, aghori onwe ya? Ndi ara.

I seriously doubt that up to 50% of CS lecturer s in US have built a commercial software.
CS is much more than software. I agree that many of our lecturers are deficient though, but luckily, IT is a field that gives the student the opportunity to learn on their own.
Many CS grad in Nigeria are plain lazy and we don't have an entrepreneur culture to spur on the rest.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by kayjegs: 2:21pm On Mar 10, 2013
This is an interesting thread. A number of Nigerian softwares could have made it Internationally but where is the strategic or perhaps angel investors to push it there. Many guys in Nigeria writes good softwares but nobody recognizes them. Those that have the money cant read between the lines to know that some softwares can go places. What is in the 2gos and whatsapp that Nigerians now use? Nigerian guys can design better than that but the enabling environment to make this grow is not there at all.
I tried developing a site about online payment processing which would have made the hit if I had the money then. The many investors I explained to, couldnt understand how it will make money because they dont know the potentials of IT. And somehow the thing died down, even though I can still resuscitate it when the money comes to do it. Funny enough, it is not even up to a million naira to get this thing up.
I am on another one this time around and it can be global. I will be sponsoring this myself so I am not relying on outside sources but I will like Nairalanders to help in propagating the app when it comes here. I will make sure I follow this thread and will keep everyone informed as to how you will help publicise it and lets see if a Nigerian software cannot compete globally. Facebook started from Harvard and I got a facebook account by force when I was trying to apply to a school in the US around 2005. The school in fact opened the account for me indirectly and I just had to fill in my information. This was how it was somehow publicized until it has become a household name. This is my submission!
Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by badesco(m): 3:53pm On Mar 10, 2013
csharpjava: I'm trying to compile a list of Nigerian softwares that are competing globally, I need inputs from others to compile this list into the following categories:
UPDATED

GAMES: ***************
MOBILE APPS: Afrinolly(mobile entertainment app) - by: FCO Limited
SHOPPING CART:********
FINANCIAL: ************
PAYMENT GATEWAY: ****
HUMAN RESOURCES / PAYROLL: HumanManager and Remita - Powered by: Systemspecs
FORUM SOFTWARE: *******
CMS: *******************
CYBER CAFE: Gocybetix
EDUCATIONAL:************
ETC........

From the Moderator: Please do not be tempted to see this as an opportunity to advertise your software because i wont hesitate to ban you. Thanks for your understanding

What has the poster done? Mr moderator take it easy now...at least be considerate
Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by Mgbadike80: 7:31pm On Mar 10, 2013
nna_bu_ike:

Ufodu ndi mmadu na ji kwaa aka ha aghori onwe ha
ọ ga eme fa vam na anya mgbe fa ga eje icho ọrụ, ezi okwu na agba agba ka akpi mgbe fa ga ama ya.
Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by Mgbadike80: 8:01pm On Mar 10, 2013
wy2000:

I seriously doubt that up to 50% of CS lecturer s in US have built a commercial software.
CS is much more than software. I agree that many of our lecturers are deficient though, but luckily, IT is a field that gives the student the opportunity to learn on their own.
Many CS grad in Nigeria are plain lazy and we don't have an entrepreneur culture to spur on the rest.
my dear, most nigerian grads have no biz being in school in the fourst place,even the supposedly intelligent ones are totally clueless. I have a friend who made fourst class and was retained as a graduate assistant lecturer while pursuing her masters in environmental mgt. She was spending wks solving statistic with hand for her research. I suggested that she should use spss but she said that it can't run the stats at the department required confidence level, i tried to explain to her that it could be changed in settings or she use another package but she refused. I then told her to hack up an application by her self since she have been taking classes in fortran as part of her program but she keep dodging the topic, clearly making an A in that fortran class does not translate to knowing her to use it to solve even the simplest of problems. Both her and her supervising professor have spent all their career running stats by hand and are not adventurous enough to try something else. I just collected what brought me back to school and left them to continue in their darkness
Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by kambo(m): 3:50am On Jun 13, 2013
Mgbadike80: my dear, most nigerian grads have no biz being in school in the fourst place,even the supposedly intelligent ones are totally clueless. I have a friend who made fourst class and was retained as a graduate assistant lecturer while pursuing her masters in environmental mgt. She was spending wks solving statistic with hand for her research. I suggested that she should use spss but she said that it can't run the stats at the department required confidence level, i tried to explain to her that it could be changed in settings or she use another package but she refused. I then told her to hack up an application by her self since she have been taking classes in fortran as part of her program but she keep dodging the topic, clearly making an A in that fortran class does not translate to knowing her to use it to solve even the simplest of problems. Both her and her supervising professor have spent all their career running stats by hand and are not adventurous enough to try something else. I just collected what brought me back to school and left them to continue in their darkness

Man, can you Imagine the backwardness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
an exploratory mind is really an asset. forget what class of grade one graduates with,
the moment, we shut down our minds to the plethora of opportunities out there we enter
stag mode (stagnation hyper rot mode). And these folks will want to put it to you that you're not educated if you're below their status!- paper wise? - even if it would take
her/them a month to get used to the software and overcome their phobia of the computer,
they'd be so used to the convenience that in retrospect they'd wonder how ever they
could cope with the foolishness to do things the long handed way. if only some people will
venture out and try!!. man, eduucation mean nothing ,paper wise,give me sb who is willing
to explore the new and diligent to learn over some paper guru anyday!!.
Re: List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally by kambo(m): 4:02am On Jun 13, 2013
like somebody one said- theyre those who write software that writes software and those who write top-of-the-stack software.
in scripting languages like python php ruby etc, the source isnt even converted to lower forms ,like it is in c,c++ etc.
both classes of dev's requir different degrees of knowledge. grabbing and mastering a programming language isnt enough. mustering the motivation to acquire the knowledge on your own is herculean and almost infeasible (i didnt say impossible). this is where the divide btw 3rd world and first world countries arise. quality of knowledge obtainable and the mindsets prevalent in these places. its a herculean task to make world class softwarehere.
for example, say , you want to write the bit torrent protocol and client (say you're brian cohen the original author of bit torrent),while you're exploring the idea,
and working on it, for months, it would be drummed into your ears by your colleagues that you're wasting your time - why? cuz the project isnt going to fetch you any money (in the nigerian market),
these money focus is really shortening use in the long run. because without an adventurous mind new discoveries that could lead to higher quality services that could lead to
more money wont be made.
on the web scene the companies rearing their heads are basically local clones of
international versions. dealdey (clone of groupon), too many amazon clones, lagbook (clone of facebook) ,iroko tv (youtube inspired), jobberman(uninspiring idea-kept alive by the drab job situation in naija), nairaland( ?!! ), who wants to be a millionaire?,
but for every successful startup , 100000 died unnoticed.- if we dont
increase our fail rate and become more bold an adventurous in failing trying out new
semmingly crazy dull drab ideas (how would the idea of twitter have been percieved in
an typical naija board room!?) we'll always be in the shadows,internationally, imitating
foreign ideas ,living in the shadows of the western world.
php was developed by an adventurer - he didnt know it would grow to become the phenomenom it now is.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Most Financially Rewarding Areas In Programing. / How Do I Start Please / Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.