Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Frank Talk About Race And Racism - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Frank Talk About Race And Racism (5986 Views)

Frank Talk: Ogbeni Aregbesola, This Is No Time To Flex Your Muscles / Frank Talk: Ogbeni Aregbesola, This Is No Time To Flex Your Muscles / Frank Talk To Our Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:02am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Prove it is just man's imperfection at play here.

In the animal kingdom, we observe that some form of prejudice exists that animals use in selection of prey, partner, home etc. In Religion, we observe that God gives to some what he does not give to others cause He being wiser knows who can handle what better than the other can. I may not necessarily use the word prejudice when I am speaking of God here ( since I happen to be a religious person myself, considering the idea some have when it comes to the definition of the word) but I am sure you can easily get the idea here. I am certain it is clear nature itself seems to have some prejudice ( unless I need to go deeper to explain this). So why attribute this to man alone?

None of what you stated is a prejudice. Selection is different. If for example I wanted to be in the NBA I would not stand a chance because I lack the physical capabilities for it, this is not a prejudice. Neither is selection of the prey for animals . Or God ordaining tasks for human beings, we all have different capacities.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 2:05am On Mar 19, 2008
the world isnt perfect, nor will it ever be. We all have and will be discriminate someon, whether it be colour, sex, nationaility, eye colour, height.

There will always be extremes, and although racism is not as bad as it used to, there will still be narrow minded people who will be racist. But saying this rome wasnt built in a day, i wonder how world we be in 50 years time undecided
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:06am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

YES, How did I come to that conclusion?? Cause Adam (who I suspect you are referring to in this case) did not know the animals as he knew himself, he knew them as being below him and so this could be reason why he did not call them all man but made up other names for them. Even the woman he did not call man, but Wo-man, indicating she came OUT OF HIM.LMAO!!!

And what is your point in all your rantings above? He knew he was different from them but not below him (min you he said that) and that concludes that us humans are different, LAUGH YOUR ASS OFF, He man the woman because god had twos of all animals and he looked around and he was the only one JACK
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 2:07am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

None of what you stated is a prejudice. Selection is different. If for example I wanted to be in the NBA I would not stand a chance because I lack the physical capabilities for it, this is not a prejudice. Neither is selection of the prey for animals . Or God ordaining tasks for human beings, we all have different capacities.

What is selection?? What do you base your selection on

Prejudice : A forejudgment; bias; partiality; preconceived opinion. A leaning toward one side of a cause for some reason other than a conviction of its justice.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:09am On Mar 19, 2008
blue-sky:

the world isnt perfect, nor will it ever be. We all have and will be discriminate someon, whether it be colour, sex, nationaility, eye colour, height.

There will always be extremes, and although racism is not as bad as it used to, there will still be narrow minded people who will be racist. But saying this rome wasnt built in a day, i wonder how world we be in 50 years time undecided

As long as we have people stating some prejudice is good it will always be here, Sad that black people are prejudiced against their own kind so bitterly
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 2:11am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

And what is your point in all your rantings above? He knew he was different from them but not below him (min you he said that) and that concludes that us humans are different, LAUGH YOUR ASS OFF, He man the woman because god had twos of all animals and he looked around and he was the only one JACK

Have you ever debated the notion of PREDESTINATION with anyone whose life has been filled with sorrow from as far back as he or she can remember How did that go
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by debosky(m): 2:12am On Mar 19, 2008
@ kobo you're entering very grey areas here- who measures or defines justice?

Is it 'justice' for me to marry an Efik lady even though I 'know' its a yoruba one that will make me happy?

What may be 'just' to you may not be just to others. In fact the very definition of what is 'just' has changed so much over time.

At some point, it was regarded 'just' to subjugate black people because the Europeans genuinely felt they were superior. . .is that regarded as 'just' now?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:12am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

What is selection?? What do you base your selection on

Prejudice : A forejudgment; bias; partiality; preconceived opinion. A leaning toward one side of a cause for some reason other than a conviction of its justice.

True Selection my friend is based on inferiority not prejudice believes. See that preconceived opinion that is the best definition for you prejudice, When something is preconceived their has already been a judgment, hey forejudgment is there too!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 2:15am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

True Selection my friend is based on inferiority not prejudice believes. See that preconceived opinion that is the best definition for you prejudice, When something is preconceived their has already been a judgment, hey forejudgment is there too!

But there is also a Judgment, a fore judgement in your definition of selection. Inferiority is judged or deemed unacceptable. In other words, if you choose to marry an hausa gal instead of an ibo , she may be considered inferior to your ultimate choice, in your mind. Isn't that in itself a form of prejudice??
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:15am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Have you ever debated the notion of PREDESTINATION with anyone whose life has been filled with sorrow from as far back as he or she can remember How did that go

What the he double hockey stick does PREDESTINATION have to do with this argument Do not throw wild tangents into the equation stay on point.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:19am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

But there is also a Judgment, a fore judgement in your definition of selection. Inferiority is judged or deemed unacceptable. In other words, if you choose to marry an hausa girl instead of an ibo , she may be considered inferior to your ultimate choice, in your mind. Isn't that in itself a form of prejudice??
Your above statement just scored point for me thanks.
And that my friend is prejudice. If i choose to marry a Hausa girl instead of an Igbo one based on their tribe that is prejudiced. But If I selectively chose the Hausa girl because their was something more in the marriage such as ummm lets say LOVE than no that is not a prejudice,
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 2:20am On Mar 19, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

What the he double hockey stick does PREDESTINATION have to do with this argument Do not throw wild tangents into the equation stay on point.

I threw that in, in reply to your post on God. God has the power to give you the ability to do whatever he chooses. Infact he could have made all persons with the same capabilities but he choose to allow some be born with a tumour in their heads; some born without sight, others born in to terrible circumstances. That is God. Can that be deemed Justice or God choosing to limit persons according to how he chooses?? Why did he choose to make some complete with all body parts and then give less to the others?? Anywho, I would rather we stay away from the God portion of this cause it would only move this to places where I really don't want to go.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 2:20am On Mar 19, 2008
debosky:

@ kobo you're entering very grey areas here- who measures or defines justice?

Is it 'justice' for me to marry an Efik lady even though I 'know' its a yoruba one that will make me happy?

What may be 'just' to you may not be just to others. In fact the very definition of what is 'just' has changed so much over time.

At some point, it was regarded 'just' to subjugate black people because the Europeans genuinely felt they were superior. . .is that regarded as 'just' now?

the oxford english dictionary defines prejudice:
Preconceived opinion not based on reason or actual experience

so debosky, how do u know an Efik lady will not make u happy, ur judging somethin before u actually know the outcome.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 2:23am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I threw that in, in reply to your post on God. God has the power to give you the ability to do whatever he chooses. Infact he could have made all persons with the same capabilities but he choose to allow some be born with a tumour in their heads; some born without sight, others born in to terrible circumstances. That is God. Can that be deemed Justice or God choosing to limit persons according to how he chooses?? Why did he choose to make some complete with all body parts and then give less to the others?? Anywho, I would rather we stay away from the God portion of this cause it would only move this to places where I really don't want to go.

but ------------ there is still judging and some prejudice involved here. What is Love?? In the case of you choosing the one you Believe you love MORE or Love, you basically denied the other the same rights to you cause in this case you picked Love as your reason to be prejudice against her. LMAO!!!

A forejudgment; bias; partiality; preconceived opinion. A leaning toward one side of a cause for some reason other than a conviction of its justice.

I am trying to let you see that the meaning is right now wide open. A couple of hundred of years ago, Racism was not considered evil. It was considered ok to threat slaves as you would animals but now it is considered evil in many parts of the world. Throw anything in to the mix and you have yourself a good soup. 100's of years ago, even in the bible, women were considered property and even women agreed and loved it. Heck it is right there in the Bible if you are a Christian to read it and be amazed but now there seems to be a move to make it unacceptable and we now list it as bad to do such and for men to be sexist.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:24am On Mar 19, 2008
blue-sky:

the oxford english dictionary defines prejudice:
Preconceived opinion not based on reason or actual experience

so debosky, how do u know an Efik lady will not make u happy, your judging somethin before u actually know the outcome.
Thank you my sister

No prejudice belief is right! End of discussion. now we all harbour them, some more than others. TRUE
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Uche2nna(m): 2:26am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

but ------------ there is still judging and some prejudice involved here. What is Love?? In the case of you choosing the one you Believe you love MORE or Love, you basically denied the other the same rights to you cause in this case you picked Love as your reason to be prejudice against her. LMAO!!!

A forejudgment; bias; partiality; preconceived opinion. A leaning toward one side of a cause for some reason [b]other than a conviction of its justice.[/b]

Justice is a relative term and , if u look at the history of man, it is also very time dependent.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 2:28am On Mar 19, 2008
Uche2nna:

Justice is a relative term and , if u look at the history of man, it is also very time dependent.

Then consider this definition of the word
Prejudice: A forejudgment; bias; partiality; preconceived opinion. A leaning toward one side of a cause for some reason other than a conviction of its justice.

If justice is relative then would that not mean that it is possible that not all prejudices are bad?? Would it not then depend on who is judging in this case?? I am not sure if I make myself clear in this.

Weird Example here : In america prejudice against homosexuals is considered bad. In Saudi Arabia, prejudice against homosexuals is considered good and just. So if in one case it is bad but in the other it is good. Is it good or is it bad
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:32am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

A forejudgment; bias; partiality; preconceived opinion. A leaning toward one side of a cause for some reason other than a conviction of its justice.

LOL Stop giving me the definition of prejudice. LOVE is INNATE,
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:32am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Then consider this definition of the word Prejudice, A forejudgment; bias; partiality; preconceived opinion. A leaning toward one side of a cause for some reason other than a conviction of its justice.

If justice is relative then would that not mean that it is possible that not all prejudices are bad?? Would it not then depend on who is judging in this case?? I am not sure if I make myself clear in this.

Can you give us an example of a good prejudice?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Uche2nna(m): 2:34am On Mar 19, 2008
Good prejudice, ehhmmmm, like ________ undecided
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 2:36am On Mar 19, 2008
Uche2nna:

Good prejudice, ehhmmmm, like ________ undecided

see my example up there please with saudi arabia, and try to remove yourself from what you know now and put yourself in the shoes of someone with a different view
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 2:38am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Then consider this definition of the word Prejudice, A forejudgment; bias; partiality; preconceived opinion. A leaning toward one side of a cause for some reason other than a conviction of its justice.

i get wat u mean, not everything is black and white and clear cut. being a prejudice may not neccessarily mean that i am a bad person, but it does mean that i am naive and ignorant .

For eg, i meet an asian person for the first time, and i autimatically think the guy is clever. This is not necessarilly a bad thing, but me thinking this way is very narrow minded.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 2:39am On Mar 19, 2008
i dont think kobojunkie means that it is good to be prejudice, but that u can still be a good person, i think undecided
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 2:41am On Mar 19, 2008
blue-sky:

i get what u mean, not everything is black and white and clear cut. being a prejudice may not neccessarily mean that i am a bad person, but it does mean that i am naive and ignorant .

For eg, i meet an asian person for the first time, and i autimatically think the guy is clever. This is not necessarilly a bad thing, but me thinking this way is very narrow minded.

I would not go as far as attaching the words NarrowMinded and Ignorant to a prejudice person. I mean we all claim to  have some form of intuition which we all know is not based on justice but mostly on our preconceived opinions of others or things. This is a form of prejudice if you look carefully at the meaning of the word, when we act on it. Has my intuition not saved me so many times in my life?? definitely. So it is bad?? NO.

Prejudice: A forejudgment; bias; partiality; preconceived opinion. A leaning toward one side of a cause for some reason other than a conviction of its justice.

I keep posting the meaning so we do not loose what we are focusing on here.

ON a daily basis, apart from being able to select the color of the shirt we want to wear, we prejudge situations, people based on some thing or another. Even when it comes to doing business with others. There have persons who refuse to do business with anyone who is Nigeria being afraid of falling victim to 419;etc. So many have been 419ed, is this prejudice?? Is this bad??
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Uche2nna(m): 2:42am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

see my example up there please with saudi arabia, and try to remove yourself from what you know now and put yourself in the shoes of someone with a different view

I can't hold brief for what is obtainable in Saudi Arabia but if u are asking me if it is right to discriminate against the gay people , my reply is no. If I subscribe to it, my reply is once again no. In the first "NO", I am exercising my belief of live and let live. In the second "NO", I am just stating my preferences.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:42am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

It's bad, being narrow minded and assumptive is not good. I bet they don't have assumptions about the Koran
Now if you can prove that homosexuality is unnatural and therefore unwarranted then thats a different story, but killing of homosexuals because of this is heinous or imprisoning them like we do in our beloved NIGERA, unwarranted!!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:47am On Mar 19, 2008
blue-sky:

i don't think kobojunkie means that it is good to be prejudice, but that u can still be a good person, i think undecided

He means the former that some prejudice is good,

Kobojunkie:

I would not go as far as attaching the words NarrowMinded and Ignorant to a prejudice person. I mean we all claim to have some form of intuition which we all know is not based on justice but mostly on our preconceived opinions of others or things. This is a form of prejudice if you look carefully at the meaning of the word, when we act on it. Has my intuition not saved me so many times in my life?? definitely. So it is bad?? NO.

I keep posting the meaning so we do not loose what we are focusing on here.

ON a daily basis, apart from being able to select the color of the shirt we want to wear, we prejudge situations, people based on some thing or another. Even when it comes to doing business with others. There have persons who refuse to do business with anyone who is Nigeria being afraid of falling victim to 419;etc. So many have been 419ed, is this prejudice?? Is this bad??

Yes its prejudice yes its bad, for people not to do business with Nigerians because I minute amount of us are criminally inolved.
Just like it was bad when Italian were prejudiced and labeled mafiosa when they first came and settle in America!!!
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by bluesky4(f): 2:48am On Mar 19, 2008
Weird Example here : In america prejudice against homosexuals is considered bad. In Saudi Arabia, prejudice against homosexuals is considered good and just. So if in one case it is bad but in the other it is good. Is it good or is it bad
[quote][/quote]

OK now i get u, but no, they are still being small minded. Just because they believe that the action of gays are bad, does not mean they should discriminate against them and treat them like an outcast. afterall, are they not all human?
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by 4Play(m): 2:51am On Mar 19, 2008
Not all preconceived opinions(prejudices) are wrong.Many preconceptions are based on evidence.

If I was a police officer doing random searches for concealed knives on the streets on London and I decide to select young men,mainly, for my searches-my decision making here can be seen by many as fitting the definition of prejudice-but it would be a "prejudice" based on tons of indisputable evidence showing that young men are more likely to carry knives than any other segment of society.

Wouldn't the above be "prejudice" which serves a good purpose?

1 Like

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Gamine(f): 2:53am On Mar 19, 2008
I wunda what she was thinking lipsrsealed

Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Uche2nna(m): 2:53am On Mar 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I would not go as far as attaching the words NarrowMinded and Ignorant to a prejudice person. I mean we all claim to  have some form of intuition which we all know is not based on justice but mostly on our preconceived opinions of others or things. This is a form of prejudice if you look carefully at the meaning of the word, when we act on it. Has my intuition not saved me so many times in my life?? definitely. So it is bad?? NO.

I am still having problems relating the word intuiton to another form of prejudice. Intuition is like having a 6th sense and should not be confused with prejudice.
Re: Frank Talk About Race And Racism by Kobojunkie: 2:53am On Mar 19, 2008
blue-sky:

OK now i get u, but no, they are still being small minded. Just because they believe that the action of gays are bad, does not mean they should discriminate against them and treat them like an outcast. afterall, are they not all human?

Do you realize you have continually put down the other side as being SMALL MINDED/ NARROWMINDED/IGNORANT. But if I called on a man who shared the other side of this view, he would probably use the same words when considering your position ?  Are you sure it is BLACK AND WHITE as you think or more based on the idea you have of your world and how it ought to be??

In that example if you notice, it is completely legal to be have no prejudice against gays in America and it is completely legal to have it against gays in Saudi arabia. But you did not even based your own assumption on the legal status differing in both countries in this issue but on your own FOREJUDGEMENT, you own PRECONCEIVED OPINION, hence your own PREJUDICE, LMAO!!! Do you see what I see now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding / This Picture Of Buhari And His Wife Has Really Made My Day. / I Was Crying For The Igbos Until I Saw The Shiites; Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.