Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,854 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing (42150 Views)

Cv Writing! - Emphasis / Step-by-Step CV Writing for Entry Level (samples included) / Please Help Review this Cover Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by omidan21: 1:19pm On Mar 04, 2013
Pls since u wld ve to mention the vacancy applying for in a cover letter what if u just wanna send to a company that aiint advertising or recruiting @ the moment how to I go abt it.maybe I shld leave that part out like ommmit it .
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by assalaamat(m): 4:43pm On Mar 04, 2013
You have to follow the same procedure,whether the company is recruiting or not,you have to state the position you can handle effectively in the cover letter,e.g if you read accounting state it in the letter that,you can handle storekeeping,stocktaking,accounting records and other cash-related posts,e.t.c.Goodluck bro.
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by Ehimax(m): 5:16pm On Mar 04, 2013
Plz can anyone in the house send a very standard cv to my mail box so I can edit it to suit my own profile, plz guys it is urgent. My mail is ehisucreymcb@yahoo.com thanks in advance
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by assalaamat(m): 11:11pm On Mar 04, 2013
i've sent mine as an attachment to your mail box,so check it now!!!
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by Ehimax(m): 10:50am On Mar 05, 2013
assalaamat: i've sent mine as an attachment to your mail box,so check it now!!!

Thanks a lot bro I saw ur mail I really do appreciate my God help us to locate our dream jobs in a short time.
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by rexfada(m): 11:23am On Mar 05, 2013
bro ur doing a nice work on this thread, more oil to ur elbow. I'll love u to scrutinize my resume too. I will also like to see urs to learn how to adjust mine. My email addy is rexfadatgmaildotcom hope to hear from u l8a today
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by assalaamat(m): 1:09pm On Mar 05, 2013
i've done that,so check ur mail right away!
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by Devosequence(f): 1:55pm On Mar 05, 2013
assalaamat: i've done that,so check ur mail right away!
I must confess you are good and updated kudos! A Favour i need from you is to forward me sample of your cv so that I can make corrections on mine as well email - danoma231@yahoo.com. Thanks so much as I await your urgent reply
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by Devosequence(f): 3:09pm On Mar 05, 2013
Devosequence: I must confess you are good and updated kudos! A Favour i need from you is to forward me sample of your cv so that I can make corrections on mine as well email - danoma231@yahoo.com. Thanks so much as I await your urgent reply
Still waiting for your mail thanks
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by assalaamat(m): 4:37pm On Mar 05, 2013
I've sent it already,check ur mail right away!!!
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by rexfada(m): 4:58pm On Mar 05, 2013
assalaamat: I've sent it already,check ur mail right away!!!
havent seen it bro. My email once again. rexfada@gmail.com
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by assalaamat(m): 5:35pm On Mar 05, 2013
rexfada: havent seen it bro. My email once again. rexfada@gmail.com
have u seen it bro bcs i've resent it,if u dont't see it then check ur spam!
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by Devosequence(f): 6:55pm On Mar 05, 2013
assalaamat: I've sent it already,check ur mail right away!!!

Thanks a lot bro, i got it. Really appreciate! Will try save it on memory,so I can try using the card reader stuff. But the issue now is that my Phone has in-built memory card & so doesn't use an external one
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by assalaamat(m): 7:06pm On Mar 05, 2013
Devosequence:

Thanks a lot bro, i got it. Really appreciate! Will try save it on memory,so I can try using the card reader stuff. But the issue now is that my Phone has in-built memory card & so doesn't use an external one
u can use ur USB Cord to transfer it to ur inbuilt memory.
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by Devosequence(f): 9:53pm On Mar 05, 2013
assalaamat: u can use ur USB Cord to transfer it to ur inbuilt memory.

Thanks! I'll try it that way.
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by muredo(m): 12:01am On Mar 06, 2013
assalamat,good evening,if i can find favour in your site,please,i beg,i would like you to send me one at muribash2006@yahoo.com,Thanks and God bless
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by Nobody: 12:28am On Mar 06, 2013
Assaalamat please hel[code][/code]p me with a sample of your resume so that i can modify mine. Send it t@yahoo.com. More power to your elbow
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by assalaamat(m): 1:28am On Mar 06, 2013
check ur mail right away bro!
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by assalaamat(m): 1:29am On Mar 06, 2013
Principe: Assaalamat please help me with a sample of your resume so that i can modify mine. Send it to justanukam@yahoo.com. More power to your elbow
check ur mail right away bro!
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by adim2(m): 2:22am On Mar 06, 2013
pls sir, try sending me your cv to help me modify my cv. chidexab2001@yahoo.com
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by Ezeebube2(m): 9:12am On Mar 06, 2013
I'm really thrilled by this revelations. Pls b kind 2 forward same attachment to me bro. Mail is nwadinigwe_nel@yahoo.com
Thanks alot in anticipation.
Peace be with u
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by assalaamat(m): 10:37am On Mar 06, 2013
adim2: pls sir, try sending me your cv to help me modify my cv. chidexab2001@yahoo.com
check ur mail right now!
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by assalaamat(m): 10:38am On Mar 06, 2013
Ezeebube2: I'm really thrilled by this revelations. Pls b kind 2 forward same attachment to me bro. Mail is nwadinigwe_nel@yahoo.com
Thanks alot in anticipation.
Peace be with u
it's in ur mail already,go check it out!!
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by globechamp: 11:49am On Mar 06, 2013
Good job @assalaamat and @adewasco

just to add a few cents

If it is possible and if permitted, it is preferable that you save your cv in pdf format. The reason why sometimes candidates dont get a response is that, your well prepared cv could appear messed up on the other side because of Microsoft office compatibility, fonts etc (some PCs dont have the font used for the cv and so will either distort the cv or wont open at all). While I agree that the standard presentation of a cv should be in Arial or Times New Roman, sometimes, some other fonts make could make your cv appear better and cleaner. That was when I changed my approach. When I used pdf, the CV will appear EXACTLY to the recruiter the way I prepared it.

Secondly, since last year, I have decided that my cv will never exceed 1 page. It took me weeks to summarize everything about myself to be able to fit into a single page. There are too many cvs to peruse, so what are the chances that the recruiter will scroll down. I decided to help them simplify their jobs. However, your 1 page CV MUST be ON POINT - neatly laid out, not cramped, and must give a concise summary of you background and your experience. Remember whatever you write must be relevant to the NEED of the recruiter.

What I shared above actually did improve the responses I have gotten since I decided to.
Remember, finding a job is a job in itself.

Let me stop here for now.

All the best guys

1 Like

Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by EHITZ(m): 1:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
pls asaalamat and globechamp, i would like a copy of your CVs on my mail box, thanks in anticipation lawprinz_esq@yahoo.com
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by adim2(m): 6:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
@globechamp
In the one page should it include your referees?
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by assalaamat(m): 10:04pm On Mar 06, 2013
adim2: @globechamp
capital yes with maximum of three.
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by adim2(m): 10:36pm On Mar 06, 2013
Then its mean we should reduce d front size to either 12 or 11 then?
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by greygoblings(m): 7:44am On Mar 07, 2013
Only a well written cv can guarantee you an interview
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by globechamp: 8:01am On Mar 07, 2013
adim2: @globechamp

I will say YES and it depends on your approach.

When I did my own CV makeover, I researched about 200 cvs of people who went to top-notch ivy league schools in the world and I see our best business school(I guess you can guess what school, if you are objective enough grin)in Nigeria teaching their MBA grads to do the same (I checked their cvs and same 1 page so I thought there is wisdom in learning from their approach).

Shockingly, their cvs had no references in most cases, never exceeded one page and was straight to the point. What they normally have is "available upon request". In my case, I only insert references when I am applying to Nigerian companies, but when applying to multinationals or companies with local presence in Nigeria, I simply put AVAILABLE ON REQUEST. Before you contest me, please bear in mind that I have my own strategies of job seeking and the kind of jobs I look for has its own strategy of candidate evaluation rather than references. Thats a subject for another day.

Most importantly, develop a job seeking strategy that works for you, that you will continue to fine tune, learn and improve as you progress.

I personally believe you cant keep doing what everyone is doing and expect a different result. You have to find a carefully research differentiation strategy that will work FOR YOU.

We need to understand that the aim of your cv is to get the attention of the recruiter. Your best strategy/challenge is HOW TO GET THE RECRUITER's ATTENTION.

Once again, ALL THE BEST.
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by Ozenko(m): 7:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
globechamp: Good job @assalaamat and @adewasco

just to add a few cents

If it is possible and if permitted, it is preferable that you save your cv in pdf format. The reason why sometimes candidates dont get a response is that, your well prepared cv could appear messed up on the other side because of Microsoft office compatibility, fonts etc (some PCs dont have the font used for the cv and so will either distort the cv or wont open at all). While I agree that the standard presentation of a cv should be in Arial or Times New Roman, sometimes, some other fonts make could make your cv appear better and cleaner. That was when I changed my approach. When I used pdf, the CV will appear EXACTLY to the recruiter the way I prepared it.

Secondly, since last year, I have decided that my cv will never exceed 1 page. It took me weeks to summarize everything about myself to be able to fit into a single page. There are too many cvs to peruse, so what are the chances that the recruiter will scroll down. I decided to help them simplify their jobs. However, your 1 page CV MUST be ON POINT - neatly laid out, not cramped, and must give a concise summary of you background and your experience. Remember whatever you write must be relevant to the NEED of the recruiter.

What I shared above actually did improve the responses I have gotten since I decided to.
Remember, finding a job is a job in itself.

Let me stop here for now.

All the best guys
greetings bro and everyone here pls send me sample of a one page Cv,cos i cherish dis idea my email macaustin316@gmail.com.pls .tnx in advance @asaalamat n @ adewasco i need d sample pls .tnx 4 ur support
Re: Ideas for Cover Letter & CV Writing by mikky05(m): 7:30pm On Mar 07, 2013
Ehimax:

Thanks adewasco2k for your responce to my post, I just graduated and don't have much experience I've been adviced to send my cv(which I don't have yet) to most job opennings I come across even as I wait to be posted by june, plz can u send me a quality cv and cover letter to my mail box so I can edit it to suit my personal profile and qualifications.ehisucreymcb@yahoo.com thanks.

Please send to my mail box as well oh. I just finished М̣̣̥̇̊Ɣ youth service, i've applied for most jobs online but no replies yet, dont wanna blame some witch, probably my CV/cover letter aint attractive enuf...chijioke_mike2009@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Costly Mistakes I Discovered in 250 CVs: Why They Were Not Invited 4 Interviews / Heritage Bank CV Submission October 2014 / Ekiti To Send Unemployed Youths To Aba And Onitsha To Learn Trade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.