Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Games You Played As A Child? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Games You Played As A Child? (17028 Views)

I Have 4 Spirits Guarding Me, I Had A Child At 19 – Ooni Of Ife / Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? / A Man Cannot Claim A Child If He Did Not Marry The Mother (igbos Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Frizy(m): 9:48pm On Mar 21, 2008
Arcade games: Like Ninja turtles, P.O.W, Darkseal, Shadow dancer and lots and lots
I also played police and thief with my neighbors then; I loved my childhood, it was peaceful and I was innocent smiley
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Gamine(f): 10:00pm On Mar 21, 2008
@Top kin

So you be Nazareth pikin, hmm.

You mess, Apple jump river
You mess, Babangida repeat primary one
You mess, kuli kuli form voltron
you mess, . . . .and it continues

We had story yabs too grin

Arcade games for me; X-Men, Street fighter.
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by lucabrasi(m): 10:02pm On Mar 21, 2008
Frizy:

Arcade games: Like Ninja turtles, P.O.W, Darkseal, Shadow dancer and lots and lots
I also played police and thief with my neighbors then; I loved my childhood, it was peaceful and I was innocent smiley

arcade games was da bomb,di u ever go to raiders arcade in gra, was the place to be man
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by topkin(m): 10:07pm On Mar 21, 2008
@ Gamine
I be full blow Nazareth pikin o! 89 Set. U nko?

U won't kill me with dis ur "You Mess" It's so so funny with gud memories

You mess, akara fly fence, i'm rolling on the floor
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Ndipe(m): 10:10pm On Mar 21, 2008
@Sentee, LOL at using your feet as substitute for bicycle brakes.

I played a lot as a kid, and would not have thought that I would graduate from the arena. Hide and seek, police and thief, "Nsa Isong" (it is a game where four abi six sets of stone are deposited into a hole and you pick them and drop one piece into the holes and continue till the end), cards, bicycle riding, tyre riding, I mean, name them. I played a lot, but fortunately, I think my parents were consoled that my grades were not affected by my playfulness. Chei, I remember once when I played outside with my cousins, I think, in the village, and my mother had to come out to look for us. I wonder if she was so worried.  Then, there was another one I used to play with my elder brother, throwing fruits with both hands like an acrobat. How can I forget Scrabble and Monopoly when I was always soundly defeated by him.

Ludo, Snakes and ladder. Man, there was so much activity going on during the holidays that boredom did not exist in our dictionary. I'd pick the outdoors over watching television as is quite common in America.
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by topkin(m): 10:11pm On Mar 21, 2008
lucabrasi:

arcade games was da bomb,di u ever go to raiders arcade in gra, was the place to be man

The main arcade ground in festac then was Frankids and one other one @ 512 junction. I be regular customer. I used to steal money a lot to play games then. The major one was Street Fighter

[size=16pt]Shoryuken[/size]
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by software(m): 10:14pm On Mar 21, 2008
police and thief, i use to be the thief then undecided
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Gamine(f): 10:17pm On Mar 21, 2008
@Top kin,

No i wasnt in Nazareth, i have friends who were.

i didnt even know Nazareth existed till i was in Sec sch undecided

Anyways, i had a sharp mouth o
and i was an instigator

You mess, this happened, you mess, that happened. ,
it used to be fight o! grin

one of the story yabs;

Your pant is so dirrrty
You went to seven rivers to wash it
it still wasnt clean, you then went to river niger to wash
All the fishs came out and said "are we safe"
Actually very funny when spoken tongue
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by topkin(m): 10:22pm On Mar 21, 2008
Gamine:

@Top kin,

No i wasnt in Nazareth, i have friends who were.

i didnt even know Nazareth existed till i was in Sec sch undecided

Anyways, i had a sharp mouth o
and i was an instigator

You mess, this happened, you mess, that happened. ,
it used to be fight o! grin

one of the story yabs;

Your pant is so dirrrty
You went to seven rivers to wash it
it still wasnt clean, you then went to river niger to wash
All the fishs came out and said "are we safe
"

Actually very funny when spoken tongue

I used to use this yab o! I'm imagining it. It's so funny. And the funny thing was that we boasted a lot wen we used this kind of yabs.
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Gamine(f): 10:37pm On Mar 21, 2008
As you stupid reach, you carry fire extinguisher go hell fire.

As you stupid reach, you dey fight conductor
Car jam you your skeleton rise still dey ask for change

you mess, Fanta turn Black.

So much more i cnt remember,

There was one about Keshinshina

Another abt roasted goat. . . . ,

aah it was fun then ooo
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by darkey(m): 10:40pm On Mar 21, 2008
u shit here, u shit here, u dey find lcm
u miss all the fish for river say, "r we save?"

i shelled back den oh! kia!! grin
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by darkey(m): 10:43pm On Mar 21, 2008
darkey:

u shit here, u shit here, u dey find lcm
u [b]miss [/b]all the fish for river say, "r we save?"

i shelled back den oh! kia!! grin
shit
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by lucabrasi(m): 10:45pm On Mar 21, 2008
top_kin:

The main arcade ground in festac then was Frankids and one other one @ 512 junction. I be regular customer. I used to steal money a lot to play games then. The major one was Street Fighter

[size=16pt]Shoryuken[/size]

street fighter combo as well, spent most of my time in the arcade as well, only went home to get money,my dad was soo fed up  grin
double hit combo,helicopter kick fron sung lee,adyuken
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by ashaby(f): 10:51pm On Mar 21, 2008
haaaa! The good old days! For me it was definitely TEN-TEN.
I cant count d no of times i got beaten cos of dis game. Thank God for computers!!
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by darkey(m): 10:55pm On Mar 21, 2008
during my time, i used to go to game centres where we played family com, nitendo, super nintendo, den playstation
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Gamine(f): 10:58pm On Mar 21, 2008
@Ashbaby
Beaten out of ten-ten!!!

naaa i possesed da skills!! grin

@Darkey

yay! i forgot that one oo grin

You shit here, you shit there, you dey find the HCF!!!
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by topkin(m): 11:50pm On Mar 21, 2008
Gamine:

You shit here, you shit there, you dey find the HCF!!!

U neva seize to amaze me wit these 'weird' memories of urs
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Gamine(f): 11:53pm On Mar 21, 2008
aahh lol.
i played alot
and i still managed to be tops in class undecided

I carried that mentality to Uni
i entered wahala embarassed

Erhmm. . . .cnt seem to remember anymore ryt now
Tomoro is another day! lol

Only our Nintendo Escapades i see in my mem now
those were fuuuuuunnnn!!! grin
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Bawss1(m): 6:56am On Mar 22, 2008
I was just wondering who the hell started those games we played smiley Its interesting that many of them were similar even those I thought were "local".

I moved out from my old hood when the nintendo era started and my folks didnt get me any video games( we had a couple of PC games though, ie Double Dragon) so it took me awhile to get into that mix. It wasn't untill my JS3/SS1 class that I started playing SNES but it was at a neighbours place. A little after that my dad got me a Game boy and its been electronic games all the way for me. But those childhood games certainly did rock!
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by juwanno(m): 10:20am On Mar 22, 2008
Men u guys have rilly reminded me about those old days when i also played boju boju, catcher, suwe, who is in the garden, mummy and daddy, police and thief, tinko-tinko and lots more. i remember when i always struggle to be the daddy if a particular girl i like is made the mummy. Children of this prsent age do not seems to enjoy this games we enjoyed at our childhood stage. It was rilly fun and i  wish i could turn back the hands of the clock

1 Like

Re: Games You Played As A Child? by hansibone(m): 11:56am On Mar 22, 2008
God my good old young days grin

saw dis post and it flooded my brains wit memories i wish would never end. embarassed

when i was a kid i loved

wrestling, jeez "I even have a friend who has a bump on his head till now becos, he tried a frog splash from on top one of our wardrobes. i used to call myself the ultimate warrior.

loved police and thief, used 2 be d police, becos den i was in love with CHUCK NORRIS, jeeez good old days.

played suwe, ten - ten (I was d only boi in my family, had 2 do all sort of female stuff to keep up wit my sistas), after round one, skipping rope, u mess stories, husband and wife, boju - boju, table soccer god lots of dem, cant even remember dem. Even did sum cartoon stuff, like would play G - Force and Voltron "FORM BLAZIN SWORD ACTIVATE INTERLOCK DINOSOURS READY TO FORM VOLTRON"

used to do actor and boss, like indiana jones, zoro, superman, spiderman please name it, i was on it.

but my favorite was soccer, jeez i used to call myself ROBERTO BAGGIO, would skip school and play wit friends, usually conducted inter - street matches, was always the highest goal soccer, thou i was lanky, but i still got skills.

then comin towards d computer era, jeez i was a game freak, even till now, i almost failed my SS1, becos i would skip school to go to game centres to play mario, SF, MK only God knows wat they put into those system, played NES, SNES, GAMEBOY, GAMEBOY ADVANCE, GAMEBOY COLOR, SEGA, PS, ATARI, FAMILY COM name it i was on all of them. thank God for my class teacher, he gave me a chance to prove myself, was promoted on TRIAL grin

those days were d best in my life.

kids of now adays have noting to play wit compared to us, i really missed does days, PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP I DONT WANT TO GROW OLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD cry
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by TheSly: 12:05pm On Mar 22, 2008
Who remembers using TYRES to fight like rams? If your tyre falls u loose, if it stands u win. My tyre was named "Mighty Igo"
cheesy cheesy cheesy Ohh boi. . . . .I remember Ooooooooooooooo cheesy
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by bodsibobo(m): 12:28pm On Mar 22, 2008
Anyone know this one?

"Name; Country; Animal; Place and Thing"

I'm suprised no one has mentioned it. Abi na me and my cousins alone dey play am?

1 Like

Re: Games You Played As A Child? by hansibone(m): 1:10pm On Mar 22, 2008
bodsibobo:

Anyone know this one?

"Name; Country; Animal; Place and Thing"

I'm suprised no one has mentioned it. Abi na me and my cousins alone dey play am?

men jeez i did play dat game also, i was always cheatin dou, had problems with letters like x, k, d,u e.t.c

men dere are lots of games i played when i was a kid, just cant remember dem, but dis trend is flooding my brains wit em. 4 example the u mess thin
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by emiemi(f): 1:56pm On Mar 22, 2008
This is a very interesting thread. Kudos to the poster. It sent me back memory lanes and brought real smile to my face. These were my fav games:
hide and seek (aka bojuboju)
ten-ten
change your style
suwe
mummy and daddy
clay molding
skipping (with rope)
agbalumo seeds (u play into a small hole in the ground from a mutual starting point)
name, animal, place, thing.

Does any body remember 'kelegbe'? You play it by betting and ensuring that you have a piece of broomstick on you at all times. If the other player comes to you and says kelegbe whatever (god save u if you are having dinner), and u can't produce the broomstick, that means u lose ur meal or whatever it is. grin grin grin grin ROFLMAO My bros was always trying to eat double portion with this game. Mum had to put a stop to it at a point.
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by omega25red(m): 2:55pm On Mar 22, 2008
@ topkin we definitely ran into each other at least once because of that kabe lesson place studying for the "common entrance" and i think it was called G6 or maybe G4 exam any one remember studying for those hey topkin those school 8 or school 1 schools, do they still exist
i hope this thread keeps going its one of my favorites

i definitely remember the tire fight grin grin grin i don't even remember where we got those tires
i remember making pots and spoons with clay fishing in the gutter and playing soccer in front of 322 road B close block 3
i heard that is the only Field that is still undeveloped in the whole of festac
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by hansibone(m): 3:10pm On Mar 22, 2008
@ God

emiemi:

This is a very interesting thread. Kudos to the poster. It sent me back memory lanes and brought real smile to my face. These were my fav games:
hide and seek (aka bojuboju)
ten-ten
change your style
suwe
mummy and daddy
clay molding
skipping (with rope)
agbalumo seeds (u play into a small hole in the ground from a mutual starting point)
name, animal, place, thing.

Does any body remember 'kelegbe'? You play it by betting and ensuring that you have a piece of broomstick on you at all times. If the other player comes to you and says kelegbe whatever (god save u if you are having dinner), and u can't produce the broomstick, that means u lose your meal or whatever it is. grin grin grin grin ROFLMAO My bros was always trying to eat double portion with this game. Mum had to put a stop to it at a point.

that shit almost got us into trouble "Kelegbe" was an all round thing, we went from in doors to doing it outdoors, rubbin 4getful ones of anythin dey have in dere possession, God would save my soul hahahahahahaha, my childhood was fun grin
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Gamine(f): 4:10pm On Mar 22, 2008
@bodsibobo

i mentioned it on the first thread
i had a major misunderstnding with a friend cos of that game
we were never the same again embarassed

We used to bet on Mario
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Hardballer(m): 4:48pm On Mar 22, 2008
Brick game catcher , winkmummy and daddy wink family com popo and ole and of course family com dont ge no better thn tht
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 22, 2008
most of the kids in my close had bicycles, so we had bike races in the evenings

we also used to play plice and thief

hide and seek

my sis and i used 2 play blind mans buff - but that stoped after she walked into a wall and knocked out a tooth

we also used to play with "dodongba" those weird fruits that looked like  bulbs on stalks but that also ened after  one hit my brothers eye. he was 6 or 7 at the time
my dad would not let us play with bangers or any of those fire works

there was also statue/ stand still

there was this game in 'the henry´s cat funtime book' that my sis had . a bicycle race. it was sort of a snakes and ladders clone. i remade/copied it , using cardboard, masking tape, feltip pens, etal. i forget where i played i first .before i knew it , making games like that became all the rage i primary school. eventually, the teachers shut it down.

i was a lego guru. i coud put together just about anything.i was also pretty good at fixing spoilt toys. (open em up find tha loose wire, tape it back) .this made my dad practical shove me into engineering as a profession.

we go hold of the atari clones around our teens.

then the nintendo nes clone, with all the aforementioned mario, contra, digdug etal cheats

then a friend got a sega . we had so much fun with mortal kombat. then he got a snes, and we had more fun with donkey kong country and supermario world.

i miss those days. adulthood and responsibility is a bitch
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Frizy(m): 5:09pm On Mar 22, 2008
Hardballer:

Men I played from one joint called TIWA Systems in Ibadan, they were like the first into that business then. My interest was so great that after school na TIWA, I don't even bother to eat or stay at home. Men, my father was forced to buy an Atari but that still didn't change my love for this arcade games. The funny thing was I was very short then and I was good, all the bros ye dey bodija then dey always fear me because them know say na game over, "
"OWO JO NA".
In fact am sure that my interest in games at an early age enhanced my choosing of Computer Science at the University. I love technology.
Re: Games You Played As A Child? by Ibime(m): 5:45pm On Mar 22, 2008
The best games were at Christmas time when we used to see who can hold German Banger the longest before it explodes - we also used to throw Machine-gun knockout in the veranda's of people's houses then run away before they came out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo Awards Aregbesola Title Of Omoluabi Of Yorubaland (PHOTOS) / What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? / Pidgin Words, Meaning And Origin You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.