Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,965 members, 7,835,219 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship (17718 Views)

How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship? / Getting Over Genotype In Your Relationship / How Important Is Money In A Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Nobody: 11:16pm On Mar 04, 2013
Marry anybody wen you like jor__bone genotype!
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Nobody: 11:19pm On Mar 04, 2013
Mynd_44: Well for some like me who does not see biological children as a do or die thing in marriage, it is meaningless

Itz meaningless only if you are impotent.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Paulaok4(f): 11:20pm On Mar 04, 2013
@Adetoyin.....A sickle cell carrier is AS, while someone with a Sickle Cell Anemia(SCA) is SS. A carrier does have the side effects or ill health which the SCA has.
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by semasir: 11:22pm On Mar 04, 2013
This age has taught that its such an importance compared to the ignorance of the past. I sincerely would love considering it but marriage is actually not for reproduction alone but for selves pleasure and our society and this age clarifies it all but I'd pray even if I'm AS and she is AS that the SS factor die but love is a priority if you can cope with the later adventures.
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Paulaok4(f): 11:30pm On Mar 04, 2013
It is very IMPORTANT, if you decide to go on all well and good. Things are a bit different now in terms of understanding how to handle crisis and also noticing the trigger signs, but it's a tough choice to make, not just for you but for the children you might bear. My Uncle had a total of 5 out of his 7 kids, 3 of them died.
I would say go for counselling at a Sickle Cell Centre so you know the koko.
But if na *friend* una just de *friend* e no de mata sha.
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Mynd44: 11:43pm On Mar 04, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

I would go deeper into this...but im actually studying for my philosophy exam...so im kinda busy....but ill just make one point...the society you live in...are not too accepting of...special need children....
Well I am the man marrying my wife bro and not society. I will be the one who is affected directly by whatever our decisions and not society so why should I allow society decide what I should do and who I marry?

Think about it brother. If you keep pleasing society, you will lose your sef to it and become another statistic

7 Likes

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Mynd44: 11:46pm On Mar 04, 2013
uniqueval:

Itz meaningless only if you are impotent.
Well there will always be the person who hides behind this and thinks he has a good point
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Nobody: 11:53pm On Mar 04, 2013
IT HURTS ME WEN I SEE 90PERCENT OF PPLE MAKIN COMMENTS HERE AND SCARED OF DIS GENOTYPE ISSUE ARE CHRISTIANS.WERE IS D FAITH U CONFESS EVRY DAY,WERE IS D GOD U PRAY TO EVRYDAY,IS HE INCAPABLE OF GIVING U HEALTHY CHILDREN ,Y DEN WORSHIP HIM,IS HE LESS POWERFULL,ARE WE JST CHURCH GOERS,DO WE QUOTE D WORD IN VAIN,I AND MY FIANCEE ARE AS AND IT IS IMPOSSIBLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR WE TO HAVE AN SS COS WE KNO D GOD WE SERVE.DEY DAT KNO THEIR GOD SHALL B STRONG AND DO XPLOIT,BHOLD I HAVE GIVEN U POWER.....ASK ANYTIN,I MEAN ANYTIN IN MY NAME WITHOUT WAVRING..... I HOPE DIS WILL HELP OUR FAITH DEER KRISTIANS AND SHUT DIS TOPIC OF GENOTYPE.U R IN CHARGE OF ALL THINGS..GOD HELP UR UNBLIEF

3 Likes

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Nobody: 12:00am On Mar 05, 2013
[size=13pt]Do people date to fall in love or do they date to find someone who will impregnate her/he can impregnate?

Call me old-fashioned, but I date to fall in love primarily. Sometimes, people fall in love with who isn't 100% ideal or what we expected (most times actually). If the guy I love and wish to spend the rest of my life with is AS, and I find out I'm AS, then so be it. He can't change that and neither can I.

My heart belongs with him. I won't abandon that for a guy I probably won't love as much as my AS love. Come to think of it, that would be unfair on the AA guy and unfair to any children we may have that I don't love their father as much as the real love of my life. Children deserve happy parents who love each other, not who happened to be convenient for one another.

Also, there's nothing wrong with adopting.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Mynd44: 12:03am On Mar 05, 2013
I totally agree with Ogugua. Love is independent of genotype and since I will be marrying for love, I can't care less about genotype.

4 Likes

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by COOLDUN: 12:14am On Mar 05, 2013
I have read many comments here without proper education on this Genotype issue, everyone has right of choice, you don't have to force people to your believe or faith. As Christians and other religions, faiths can never be the same. If you like go ahead and marry the same genotype status with you. But don't expect others to follow your suites.

All these born again Christians i hope with faith you guys can also go ahead and marry a medically confirmed HIV/AIDS carrier.

My questions now is which genotype status is very free to be married? i don't know much about this as i am not medically inclined. I need factual answer please. I am waiting please.

2 Likes

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Mynd44: 12:27am On Mar 05, 2013
COOLDUN: I have read many comments here without proper education on this Genotype issue, everyone has right of choice, you don't have to force people to your believe or faith. As Christians and other religions, faiths can never be the same. If you like go ahead and marry the same genotype status with you. But don't expect others to follow your suites.

All these born again Christians i hope with faith you guys can also go ahead and marry a medically confirmed HIV/AIDS carrier.

My questions now is which genotype status is very free to be married? i don't know much about this as i am not medically inclined. I need factual answer please. I am waiting please.
See where this bros carry matter go....abeg make we stay where we are ooo

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by EzePromoe: 12:30am On Mar 05, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]Do people date to fall in love or do they date to find someone who will impregnate her/he can impregnate?

Call me old-fashioned, but I date to fall in love primarily. Sometimes, people fall in love with who isn't 100% ideal or what we expected (most times actually). If the guy I love and wish to spend the rest of my life with is AS, and I find out I'm AS, then so be it. He can't change that and neither can I.

My heart belongs with him. I won't abandon that for a guy I probably won't love as much as my AS love. Come to think of it, that would be unfair on the AA guy and unfair to any children we may have that I don't love their father as much as the real love of my life. Children deserve happy parents who love each other, not who happened to be convenient for one another.

Also, there's nothing wrong with adopting.[/size]
[size=13pt]Thanks for your nice write up. But again, incase you forgot, this is Africa! Inugo?[/size]

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Nobody: 12:31am On Mar 05, 2013
Mynd_44: Well for some like me who does not see biological children as a do or die thing in marriage, it is meaningless

Indeed.. Because you may marry the perfect person who suits your genotype best and then find out after marriage they are unable to have children.. What then?

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Mynd44: 12:33am On Mar 05, 2013
Eze Promoe:
[size=13pt]Thanks for your nice write up. But again, incase you forgot, this is Africa! Inugo?[/size]
I keep missing the point ooo. What has this being Africa have to do with anything? At the end of everything, it comes down to the husband and the wife making a decision. How does it condern the continent?
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Mynd44: 12:34am On Mar 05, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Indeed.. Because you may marry the perfect person who suits your genotype best and then find out after marriage they are unable to have children.. What then?
A lot of people don't consider that. Well I have heard stories of men demanding that the woman gets pregnant before the wedding
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by kennyfao(m): 12:47am On Mar 05, 2013
eddy1234: IT HURTS ME WEN I SEE 90PERCENT OF PPLE MAKIN COMMENTS HERE AND SCARED OF DIS GENOTYPE ISSUE ARE CHRISTIANS.WERE IS D FAITH U CONFESS EVRY DAY,WERE IS D GOD U PRAY TO EVRYDAY,IS HE INCAPABLE OF GIVING U HEALTHY CHILDREN ,Y DEN WORSHIP HIM,IS HE LESS POWERFULL,ARE WE JST CHURCH GOERS,DO WE QUOTE D WORD IN VAIN,I AND MY FIANCEE ARE AS AND IT IS IMPOSSIBLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR WE TO HAVE AN SS COS WE KNO D GOD WE SERVE.DEY DAT KNO THEIR GOD SHALL B STRONG AND DO XPLOIT,BHOLD I HAVE GIVEN U POWER.....ASK ANYTIN,I MEAN ANYTIN IN MY NAME WITHOUT WAVRING..... I HOPE DIS WILL HELP OUR FAITH DEER KRISTIANS AND SHUT DIS TOPIC OF GENOTYPE.U R IN CHARGE OF ALL THINGS..GOD HELP UR UNBLIEF
Shoo! If u don't know what to say then keep quiet. What do u knw about losing the battle u ought to win, what do u knw abt the pains and agony a sickler goes through and endures, what do u knw abt impromptu crises, what do u knw abt waking up in the middle of the nite and the next place that comes to ur mind is going to the hospital, what do u knw abt swallowing pain killer every now and then, what do u knw abt being told several times that u are going to lose one of ur legs to crisis. U are here talking abt faith I don't blame u cos it nva happened to u I kenny is a living testimony and till I die I will always proclaim the words Sickle Cell is real! Pain is real. My greatness enemy will nva have anything to do with anybody with AS as genotype........crying.

6 Likes

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by COOLDUN: 12:48am On Mar 05, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

There is difference between infertility and having children with SCA, which is mostly caused by having children with a the same AS Genotype status. This incident always result to the deaths of the SCA carriers children dying young or older after going through much blood medical treatments. It has nothing to do with barrenness or infertility . This is my own little understanding from the comments i have read here and heard from other sources too.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Nobody: 12:49am On Mar 05, 2013
COOLDUN:

There is difference between infertility and having children with SCA, which is mostly caused by having children with a the same AS Genotype status. This incident always result to the deaths of the SCA carriers children dying young or older after going through much blood medical treatments. It has nothing to do with barrenness or infertility . This is my own little understanding from the comments i have read here and heard from other sources too.

My point is though.. Even if you marry somebody compatible with your genotype just for the sake of having children.. there is still a chance you wont be able to have children..
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by liteville: 12:54am On Mar 05, 2013
Mynd_44:
Well I am the man marrying my wife bro and not society. I will be the one who is affected directly by whatever our decisions and not society so why should I allow society decide what I should do and who I marry?

Think about it brother. If you keep pleasing society, you will lose your sef to it and become another statistic

Unfortunately, you're not the only who will be affected by the decision you take. In fact, it's really not about you. For me, it's about the kids you may eventually end up bringing in to this world. Think about the suffering, pain these kids will have to go through. If you've ever lived with an SS kid, you'll know it's not an easy ride. And Mynd, when the wahala starts, the love might fade away. If you guys decide not to have kids, then, that's absolutely FINE but I don't think it's going to be fair on the kids when you could have prevented it from happening.

2 Likes

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Mynd44: 1:16am On Mar 05, 2013
liteville:

Unfortunately, you're not the only who will be affected by the decision you take. In fact, it's really not about you. For me, it's about the kids you may eventually end up bringing in to this world. Think about the suffering, pain these kids will have to go through. If you've ever lived with an SS kid, you'll know it's not an easy ride. And Mynd, when the wahala starts, the love might fade away. If you guys decide not to have kids, then, that's absolutely FINE but I don't think it's going to be fair on the kids when you could have prevented it from happening.
What in the world is that. Look in my post, I said I don't see having biological kids as a do or die thing which means I might choose adoption so there is no issue of have kids which are SS.

Okay next!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by stannydon(m): 1:46am On Mar 05, 2013
huni_naija: Very important if you do not intend on giving birth to sicklers.. However if your genotype is AA and your partner is AS then theirs a less chance of giving birth to sickler children...

If your both AS then stay clear of each other...

I believe this topic has been discussed countless times, anyways at the end of the day its your choice or decision, if you like marry SS, as iv heard such stories like "its because she loves him?"

Which kind yeye love will possess me to marry an SS no matter how much i liked the guy before, he's got to understand... embarassed

If you are AS and your partner is AA, you can`t give birth to sickler, sickler is SS and there is no chance of giving birth to a sickler in AA+AS and AA+SS. the only thing is that if you are AA and marry AS, there is probability of giving birth to carriers which is also AS. But AS+AS have the chances of producing both SS and AS as well as AA.
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 05, 2013
Most people that will say it does'nt matter watch it they are in a relationship with this option in their hands.They don't want to face reality.Time will tell if they proceed on getting married and bearing children.Indeed ignorance is a disease.Most of our illiterate fore-fathers made this mistake but it should'nt be condone in this modern day

2 Likes

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Adaumudim(f): 1:55am On Mar 05, 2013
[quote author=Mynd_44]Well for some like me who does not see biological children as a do or die thing in marriage, it is meaningless Pls I will like to meet u
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Nobody: 2:08am On Mar 05, 2013
Eze Promoe: [size=13pt]Thanks for your nice write up. But again, incase you forgot, this is Africa! Inugo?[/size]

[size=13pt]I despise it when people say "This is Africa" or "This is Nigeria". It's as if you're saying because we're Nigerians/Africans we can't rise above mediocrity or misinformation/lack of information.

Nigerians should ask themselves, "would I rather give birth to an SS carrier or adopt a child who's future looks relatively healthy and pain-free?" Like Mynd44, having children shouldn't be do or die, not when the odds are against you.[/size]
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Nobody: 2:10am On Mar 05, 2013
Genotype is crucial. An SS child isn't likely to live beyond 20 years, in some cases.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by nwawuweneonye: 2:36am On Mar 05, 2013
stanleybiggie: IMO lf u love some one,none of it matters n if u n ur partner are God fearing people,miracles do happen and u will have a wonderful life with healthy kids!
Bros leave this love story. U possibly have not seen people suffering from that ignorance that's why u r preaching this love thing. In n out of hospital?hmm!
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Nobody: 2:36am On Mar 05, 2013

That makes four of us
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Nobody: 3:21am On Mar 05, 2013
wWAT DO U KNO ABOUT MIRACLE.D TINS OF D SPIRIT ARE USELESS TO D CARNAL MIND.
kennyfao: Shoo! If u don't know what to say then keep quiet. What do u knw about losing the battle u ought to win, what do u knw abt the pains and agony a sickler goes through and endures, what do u knw abt impromptu crises, what do u knw abt waking up in the middle of the nite and the next place that comes to ur mind is going to the hospital, what do u knw abt swallowing pain killer every now and then, what do u knw abt being told several times that u are going to lose one of ur legs to crisis. U are here talking abt faith I don't blame u cos it nva happened to u I kenny is a living testimony and till I die I will always proclaim the words Sickle Cell is real! Pain is real. My greatness enemy will nva have anything to do with anybody with AS as genotype........crying.
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by bennieman: 3:27am On Mar 05, 2013
It is imperative that you and your spouse know your genotypes before getting married. One of my closest childhood friend was an SS, and i saw firsthand the pains he went through. He finally passed on at the age of 21.
I and my wife went for a test before ourr traditional marriage and were both confirmed to be AA.
For those of you professing love as a reason to care less about your genotypes before getting married, at least knowing it will guide you into preparing for the worst if you decide to bring children to the world or going for the adoption option.
Of a truth I tell you, ignorance/assumption can be the lowest level of knowledge.

3 Likes

Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by dnawah(m): 3:35am On Mar 05, 2013
It doesn't matter 2 me @ all.my grand papa & mama na AA,my papa & mama na AA,me self & my wify na AA,& my family name come start with A.my blood group na A+.(this one na him b my wahala o!malaria no d gree me rest o!);-(
Re: How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship by Siga: 4:20am On Mar 05, 2013
eddy1234: wWAT DO U KNO ABOUT MIRACLE.D TINS OF D SPIRIT ARE USELESS TO D CARNAL MIND.
...Luke 4:12

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How can my sister politely refuse the sexual advances of a married lecturer. / Some Ladies And Long Throat / Biggest Butt Women Wants To Commit Suicide As Men Only Want To Sleep With Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.