Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,802 members, 7,820,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia (19046 Views)

View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / Omotola-jalade Ekeinde's On Her Marriage And Gender Equality / Traditonal Marriage And Court Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 7:19am On Mar 05, 2013
I will like to ask a question and I need a matured answer from Nairalanders.

For those who are AA (or AS) and born in the 80s or 90s;

1) Do you know you could have been born with the Sickle Cell Disease?

Because most our parents that wedded in the 80s and early 90s did not go for genotype testing. It was purely based on Love or other factors.

2) Given the above question, what do you think is the probability of you being born with either the trait (that is AS) or being born with SS.
In other words how many of you have parents who are both AA couples or who did genotype testing?

Please I need matured answers, before I move on to the actual talk about being married to a person living with Sickle cell anaemia.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 7:24am On Mar 05, 2013
Moderators, I will like to lobby that this thread gets to the Front Page.
Awareness and knowledge about the Sickle Cell Disease will go a long way to help so many Africans.
Remember this disease is mainly seen with people of African origin and Nigeria happens to be the most populous African Nation.
You don't need to be squirmish about this topic, the way Cancer and have HIV have gained awareness (both of which I consider terminal illness), is the way I want to spend my energy and time creating awareness for Sickle Cell, which I consider not to be a terminal illness. With the right education about sickle cell disease, many SS will live a long and healthy life.
Thank You.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 8:12am On Mar 05, 2013
Abali1: I will like to ask a question and I need a matured answer from Nairalanders.

For those who are AA (or AS) and born in the 80s or 90s;

1) Do you know you could have been born with the Sickle Cell Disease?

Because most our parents that wedded in the 80s and early 90s did not go for genotype testing. It was purely based on Love or other factors.

I think I will go first. My parents got married in the 70s and I am their last child. Though my father was educated (earning a masters degree in Geophysics) he never thought of going for a Genotype testing before he married his childhood sweet heart. Also my mum is equally educated, with a degree in Linguistics and also a degree in education.

Now the question I have often asked myself (but cannot ask my mum, my dad is late) is how did two educated people not consider genotype testing. At least it should have occured to dad since he studied outside the country and he is in love with science often claiming that he would have gone medicine if not that he hated the sight of blood.
After much musings, I came to the conclusion that many people, in my dads time did not consider genotype testing when tying the knot.
it then brings me to question number two, what makes you who is AA or AS think that at the throw of a dice you would not have ended up being a SS? Because so many people then were not really aware of the dangers of SCD.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 9:48am On Mar 05, 2013
18 views and no reply. Does it mean that I am the only one who have thought about the randomness of AA, AS, and SS on this forum. NL, I know you people can do better than that.
MODs, this thread seek to enlighten people, you maybe surprised that it will draw the same amount of traffic if not more than those celebrity thread that normally makes front page.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by biolabee(m): 9:57am On Mar 05, 2013
No one has replied so far cause no one understands your thread

Are you hastling those who are AA(that they are lucky pple) or are you trying to improve awareness (there is enough of that already)

Our parents may have not know about genotype matching but WE KNOW AND IT IS ADVISED YOU CHECK YOUR GENOTYPE COMPATIBILITY BEFORE YOU MARRY TO AVERT UNNECESSARY MARITAL ISSUES
NO BE BY FAITH
NA COMMON SENSE

Ish

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by baby124: 10:22am On Mar 05, 2013
It wasn't random on my end. My mum was a qualified health professional before marriage and they got married earlier than the 80's or 90's. She screened my dad in everyway. grin. But I know what you are saying.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 10:28am On Mar 05, 2013
biolabee: No one has replied so far cause no one understands your thread

Are you hastling those who are AA(that they are lucky pple) or are you trying to improve awareness (there is enough of that already)

Our parents may have not know about genotype matching but WE KNOW AND IT IS ADVISED YOU CHECK YOUR GENOTYPE COMPATIBILITY BEFORE YOU MARRY TO AVERT UNNECESSARY MARITAL ISSUES
NO BE BY FAITH
NA COMMON SENSE

Ish

my dear, I am not hassling those with AA genotype. I am sorry to tell you that Awareness of SCD is still very poor. Even the so called educated people and some medical doctors still go about stigmatising people with SS.
Online, it may seem as if awareness about SS has been created. But in real life you find people who speak ignorantly about SCD.

The purpose of this thread is to get people aware that being an AA or AS does not make them better than someone who is SS. Yes it may seem as if SS people have more challenges, especially as kids and teenagers because they are yet to come to grasp about the peculiar health challenges.
But adult SS who understands their body rarely do have health challenges. But still the stigma stiil trails both the child who suffers SCD and the adult living with SS.

4 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 10:29am On Mar 05, 2013
baby_123: It wasn't random on my end. My mum was a qualified health professional before marriage and they got married earlier than the 80's or 90's. She screened my dad in everyway. grin. But I know what you are saying.

Thank you. At least you understand where am coming from.

More replies please, and no bashing of the op. Thank you.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by feminineA: 10:36am On Mar 05, 2013
My parents didn't know anything about gynotype but thank God they were both AA. Bringing it down to this present day where gynotype awareness is everywhere, if anyone decides to stil go ahead and marry against the result then they should both be ready to face the music.
However its unfair to bring kids into this world to suffer just because of your selfish behaviour
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 10:54am On Mar 05, 2013
feminine A: My parents didn't know anything about gynotype but thank God they were both AA. Bringing it down to this present day where gynotype awareness is everywhere, if anyone decides to stil go ahead and marry against the result then they should both be ready to face the music.

Assuming you are still single, do you think you can marry a SS (since that is the only compatible genotype for a SS)?
If Not, please can you give your reason(s)?
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 11:26am On Mar 05, 2013
This thread is born out of the desire to get people's opinion concerning those of us living with SS. Below is a draft questionnaire I intend distributing to people, in the course of researching Sickle Cell Disease (SCD).

QUESTIONNAIRE:

1) Did your parents do genotype testing before they got married?

2) If not, do you consider yourself 'lucky' to have escaped being born a SS?

3) Would you categorise Sickle Cell as a terminal illness alongside Cancer or HIV/AIDS?

4) With you knowledge of Sickle Cell disease, which genotype pairing do you think is the most compatible for someone with sickle cell to marry?

5) Do you think that with the right education and awareness of Sickle Cell disease, that someone living with Sickle cell can live a long, healthy and productive life?

6) In your estimation, how long do you think that a SS person can live? In other words what is the expected Life expectancy?
7) Can you marry someone living with Sickle Cell?

cool If NO, what are your reasons? (Please state a cogent/tenable reason)

9) Do you think a SS male can father a child?

10) Do think a SS female can carry a pregnancy to term?

11) Have you ever been in close association with a SS person?

12) If yes, do you consider them different from other people having AA or AS?
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by biolabee(m): 11:49am On Mar 05, 2013
Abali1:

The purpose of this thread is to get people aware that being an AA or AS does not make them better than someone who is SS. Yes it may seem as if SS people have more challenges, especially as kids and teenagers because they are yet to come to grasp about the peculiar health challenges.
But adult SS who understands their body rarely do have health challenges. But still the stigma stiil trails both the child who suffers SCD and the adult living with SS.

Ok conversely the rich should not oppress the poor as it is matter of opportunity.

If I was born in the Namib desert I would be a Bushmen lookin for the coca cola bottle

Its not about your lot in life but what you did with your time in life
There's a thread on two children that died before they were teens and their name is forever

Read up on the story of Anne Frank
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by biolabee(m): 12:01pm On Mar 05, 2013
Abali1: This thread is born out of the desire to get people's opinion concerning those of us living with SS. Below is a draft questionnaire I intend distributing to people, in the course of researching Sickle Cell Disease (SCD).

QUESTIONNAIRE:

3) Would you categorise Sickle Cell as a terminal illness alongside Cancer or HIV/AIDS?

4) With you knowledge of Sickle Cell disease, which genotype pairing do you think is the most compatible for someone with sickle cell to marry?

5) Do you think that with the right education and awareness of Sickle Cell disease, that someone living with Sickle cell can live a long, healthy and productive life?

6) In your estimation, how long do you think that a SS person can live? In other words what is the expected Life expectancy?

1/2.I dont know if they did, but i am AA so i guess i am lucky
3. I dont know whether to class it as terminal cos adults manage it even to the 40s and 50s but its something i wont wish on my enemy
4. someone with SS MUST marry AA if they even survive to that age. For a woman the stress of child brearin is even another issue
5. Yes it can be managed but i hear some days can be terrible
6. Na God do answer that one
7. NO
8. Nothing more cogent that i cant leave it to chance or FAITH of having a child with SS with attendant heart painm , finance issues etc
9, Yes, as far as i know, it does not affect the gonads
10.With God on her side and good medical advice
11.No
12. n/a

Good luck on your exercise and appreciate your passion for this project to increase awareness

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 12:02pm On Mar 05, 2013
biolabee:

Ok conversely the rich should not oppress the poor as it is matter of opportunity.

If I was born in the Namib desert I would be a Bushmen lookin for the coca cola bottle

Its not about your lot in life but what you did with your time in life

Biola,
I believe that for some reason(s) which I don't know, you find this thread offensive.
Being born rich or poor is not a permanent status in life and my thread is not about oppressing anybody.
Equally being born in the Namid desert is not a permanent thing also.

If for any reason you don't like this thread and it's making you to respond emotionally, you can click unfollow. Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 12:08pm On Mar 05, 2013
biolabee:

1/2.I dont know if they did, but i am AA so i guess i am lucky
3. I dont know whether to class it as terminal cos adults manage it even to the 40s and 50s but its something i wont wish on my enemy
4. someone with SS MUST marry AA if they even survive to that age. For a woman the stress of child brearin is even another issue
5. Yes it can be managed but i hear some days can be terrible
6. Na God do answer that one
7. NO
8. Nothing more cogent that i cant leave it to chance or FAITH of having a child with SS with attendant heart painm , finance issues etc
9, Yes, as far as i know, it does not affect the gonads
10.With God on her side and good medical advice
11.No
12. n/a

Good luck on your exercise and appreciate your passion for this project to increase awareness

Thank you for taking time to reply. But I find your number 8 response funny.

You are AA, there is no way that you can have a SS child. Also, I gather from your responses that your answers are mainly based on Hear-say and not being aware of what Sickle Cell Diesease actually means.

All the same thank you. I equally apologise if I sounded put off in my remark above.

If others can answer, it will go a long way in helping my research into this and also gauge how much people know about the SCD.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by biolabee(m): 12:24pm On Mar 05, 2013
Abali1:

Biola,
I believe that for some reason(s) which I don't know, you find this thread offensive.
Being born rich or poor is not a permanent status in life and my thread is not about oppressing anybody.

If for any reason you don't like this thread and it's making you to respond emotionally, you can click unfollow. Thank you.

Dude now you are being emotional
Because I was born a sickler should i live my live in fear
You achieve what you can given your physcal limitations
When your time comes, you leave with peace and transquility that u achieved your tasks in life

I dont know you so i can only relate to you based on what you post here, hence my first question what was your point
Conversely you don't know me

On the survey questionnaire, you are making a basic flaw in your assumption that I an reacting to hear say

I am AA yes but why would I risk my marital life by marrying an SS who may not survive the rigour of childbirth. That to me is common sense

I may marry an AS but that's where it stops for me
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by touchmeder: 12:29pm On Mar 05, 2013
[quote author=Abali1]This thread is born out of the desire to get people's opinion concerning those of us living with SS. Below is a draft questionnaire I intend distributing to people, in the course of researching Sickle Cell Disease (SCD).

QUESTIONNAIRE:

1) Did your parents do genotype testing before they got married? I don't know, i never asked.

2) If not, do you consider yourself 'lucky' to have escaped being born a SS? Not really there were both AA, it could not have turned out in another way i guess. Dont forget you can be an AA or AS and come down with something bad later on. Life is in God's hands.

3) Would you categorize Sickle Cell as a terminal illness alongside Cancer or HIV/AIDS? No i wont. I'd rather say debilitating. Don't forget cancer caught early is treatable and people living with HIV can live long and full lives these days as long as they take their medication.

4) With you knowledge of Sickle Cell disease, which genotype pairing do you think is the most compatible for someone with sickle cell to marry? Definitely AA, Perhaps AS too but you need to have loads of money to do selective stuff to produce healthy babies i guess undecided

5) Do you think that with the right education and awareness of Sickle Cell disease, that someone living with Sickle cell can live a long, healthy and productive life? Yes it is possible. Lots of challenges but possible.

6) In your estimation, how long do you think that a SS person can live? In other words what is the expected Life expectancy? Lord knows, everyone differs
7) Can you marry someone living with Sickle Cell? NO

cool If NO, what are your reasons? (Please state a cogent/tenable reason)I do not wish to knowingly go through the trials and tribulations of bringing up a child with sickle cell. I have lived with a family friend, i lost a cousin, I knew of a class mate. Its too much. When that child looks at you and ask ''why'' what grammar would you speak?

9) Do you think a SS male can father a child? Certainly YES

10) Do think a SS female can carry a pregnancy to term? Fraught with challenges but definitely YES

11) Have you ever been in close association with a SS person? Yes, i lived with a family friend whose daughter was a sickler. It was no joke, this week we are happy the next the woman is running all over the place and the house is on edge until the episode passes by. Lord have mercy. You don't want this

12) If yes, do you consider them different from other people having AA or AS? Definitely not, they are people like you and me. end of

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 12:31pm On Mar 05, 2013
biolabee: quote author=Abali1]

Biola,

Dude now you are being emotional
Because I was born a sickler should i live my live in fear
You achieve what you can given your physcal limitations
When your time comes, you leave with peace and transquility that u achieved your tasks in life

I dont know you so i can only relate to you based on what you post here, hence my first question what was your point
Conversely you don't know me

On the survey questionnaire, you are making a basic flaw in your assumption that I an reacting to hear say

I am AA yes but why would I risk my marital life by marrying an SS who may not survive the rigour of childbirth. That to me is common sense

I may marry an AS but that's where it stops for me

Please can you calm down. I already apologised.
Your number 8 response, gives me the opinion that you don't really know as much as you claim to know about SS.
There is no way you can marry a SS and have a SS kid. It is simply not possible.

About having fear that your spouse may die young, is another reason why am having this survey. The awareness of SS is still very low and most of those that claim to know much about SS, don't really know as much as they claim.
Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by baby124: 12:33pm On Mar 05, 2013
Is this questionnaire necessary? I think dealing with the disease is enough. You don't need people's bias written out for you to even get more down about. Ah! Life is for the living o. You are already dealing with enough. And positivity goes a long way for a healthy and long life.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 12:35pm On Mar 05, 2013
[quote author=touchmeder][/quote]

I am impressed about how you answered the questions. Again, if you are AA, THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN HAVE A SS CHILD.

Thank you.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 12:38pm On Mar 05, 2013
baby_123: Is this questionnaire necessary? I think dealing with the disease is enough. You don't need people's bias written out for you to even get more down about. Ah! Life is for the living o. You are already dealing with enough. And positivity goes a long way for a healthy and long life.

Baby, the questionnaire is necessary. I have gone beyond looking at things subjectively.

For instance the two people who have responded to the questionnaire seems to have the uncommon belief that as AA they might actually father a SS child by marrying SS.
That is where educating the populace about genotype pairing comes in.
Hope you will help out with the questionnnaire.
Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by touchmeder: 12:40pm On Mar 05, 2013
Abali1:

I am impressed about how you answered the questions. Again, if you are AA, THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN HAVE A SS CHILD.

Thank you.

i know that dear. I was answering your questions from an objective point of view at times sad
Please see my answer on No4
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by biolabee(m): 12:51pm On Mar 05, 2013
Abali1:

Baby, the questionnaire is necessary. I have gone beyond looking at things subjectively.

For instance the two people who have responded to the questionnaire seems to have the uncommon belief that as AA they might actually father a SS child by marrying SS.
That is where educating the populace about genotype pairing comes in.
Hope you will help out with the questionnnaire.
Thank you.

dude where in my statement did u hear that from
Now i am getting befuzzled

I know a union of AA & SS can never produce a SS child
I dont want to marry a woman who can die anytime
My faith never reach that level
Why shd kids be left motherless early in their life

Calm down.....
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by biolabee(m): 12:59pm On Mar 05, 2013
Abali1:
About having fear that your spouse may die young, is another reason why am having this survey. The awareness of SS is still very low and most of those that claim to know much about SS, don't really know as much as they claim.
Thank you.

Please can you elucidate us
I hear the child birth process can be physically exhausting
In a poor medical world like our country here, what can be done
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 1:36pm On Mar 05, 2013
biolabee:

Please can you elucidate us
I hear the child birth process can be physically exhausting
In a poor medical world like our country here, what can be done

Yes for the woman, it can be exhausting. But that does not mean that with proper care she can give birth to a healthy child and still come out alive.
Since the woman will surely loose a lot blood giving birth, it is only comon sense that the doctors should be ready to transfuse blood as at when needed.
Moreover, I believe that the couples can opt for Ceasarian section.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 1:48pm On Mar 05, 2013
please I will like more people to take the survey.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 5:17pm On Mar 05, 2013
111 views,
Am still waiting for more people to comment or respond to the questionnaire.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by baby124: 5:29pm On Mar 05, 2013
Abali1: This thread is born out of the desire to get people's opinion concerning those of us living with SS. Below is a draft questionnaire I intend distributing to people, in the course of researching Sickle Cell Disease (SCD).

QUESTIONNAIRE:

Yes, they did.

Never thought of it that way

lipsrsealed. I wouldnt consider it as bad as AIDs or CANCER. I am sure treatment has improved and gotten better, but the odds we grew up seeing were not encouraging.

AA

Yes, with the right medicine. I think African's should be looking for a solution. Sickle cell hasnt been given the attention it should have because it is a disease exclusive to those of African extraction. Which is a fraction of the worlds population.

From experience? 40's. Talking about what i have seen around me.
N/A - If i could though, i really cant say. Because as humans we shock ourselves sometimes. But i will say that you should have a policy of opening up about you condition to every potential mate.

Yes, definitely.
Yes, definitely. See T-Boz

Yes, i have had quite a few friends.

Well no, but i do understand their limitations and try to accommodate them.

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Winneygirl(f): 5:48pm On Mar 05, 2013
It pains me to hear adults say they don't know their genotype. I didnt, but I'm glad I do now. I wouldn't have known I am AS.But I am somehow alarmed that there are so many AS genotype people out there. I have learnt to ask appropriately before stepping into any relationship. Saves a lot of headaches/heartaches.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 6:27pm On Mar 05, 2013
baby_123, thank you for your response. I believe that having associated with people having Sickle Cell have really helped you to grasp somethings about the disease.
I will say you are well informed.
Thank You.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 6:31pm On Mar 05, 2013
Winneygirl: It pains me to hear adults say they don't know their genotype. I didnt, but I'm glad I do now. I wouldn't have known I am AS.But I am somehow alarmed that there are so many AS genotype people out there. I have learnt to ask appropriately before stepping into any relationship. Saves a lot of headaches/heartaches.

Winneygirl, you will be shocked at the number of adults who don't know their Genotype. Even some of my cousins don't know their genotype.
The awareness is there, but it is still very low.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 6:55pm On Mar 05, 2013
@winneygirl, would you mind responding to the Questionnaire.

Please I need more response to the questionnaire.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Terminating A Six Month Pregnancy / Tanzanian Authorities To Publish Names Of Married Men To Protect Single Women / My Husband Hates My Best Friend. What Should I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.