Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,966 members, 7,810,679 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia (19021 Views)

View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / Omotola-jalade Ekeinde's On Her Marriage And Gender Equality / Traditonal Marriage And Court Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by opeoluwa2(f): 4:55pm On Mar 07, 2013
Well for me,I'm lucky not to be an SS because my parents never had the genotype test before marriage.Fortunately for me I am AA.

Being SS is not a crime but our society look down on them as weak and unhealthy.They are always fragile with yellowish eyeball and staunted growth.

A lot of awareness still has to be done,just last week a family friend complained on how he ignorantly married his sweetheart who is AS and he too happens to be AS.The lady got pregnant before marriage and there was no time for bloodtest.After delivery they started noticing some abnormalities in the baby's health.
The doctor told them to do a blood test and both of them were AS.we are yet to ascertain the baby's genotype but both parent were praying the baby shouldn't be SS.

I was angry when I found out,but I don't blame them because samething happened to me.I never asked my husband about his genotype until we were way too deep into the relationship,lucky for us we are AA.

So many people are into relationship that is way too deep even after they comfirm their genotype,they always try to attack it with faith.believing their children will be free from SCD not minding their own status.

No child deserves to suffer,
SCD challenges can be avoided.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 5:49pm On Mar 07, 2013
opeoluwa2: Well for me,I'm lucky not to be an SS because my parents never had the genotype test before marriage.Fortunately for me I am AA.

Being SS is not a crime but our society look down on them as weak and unhealthy.They are always fragile with yellowish eyeball and staunted growth.

A lot of awareness still has to be done,just last week a family friend complained on how he ignorantly married his sweetheart who is AS and he too happens to be AS.The lady got pregnant before marriage and there was no time for bloodtest.After delivery they started noticing some abnormalities in the baby's health.
The doctor told them to do a blood test and both of them were AS.we are yet to ascertain the baby's genotype but both parent were praying the baby shouldn't be SS.

I was angry when I found out,but I don't blame them because samething happened to me.I never asked my husband about his genotype until we were way too deep into the relationship,lucky for us we are AA.

So many people are into relationship that is way too deep even after they comfirm their genotype,they always try to attack it with faith.believing their children will be free from SCD not minding their own status.

No child deserves to suffer,
SCD challenges can be avoided.

It's so unfortunate that a lot of wo/men of my generation still gambles with the future of their kids.

To be honest with you, I have sometimes entertained the thought of staying single for life. But I really don't think it's wise, because am an only son. Looking at my aged mum, I often feel a pang of pain knowing how much she wants me to settle down. Moreover, people who know me from afar think I like playing around with women too much that I don't even feel the urgency to settle down.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by opeoluwa2(f): 6:22pm On Mar 07, 2013
@Abali
You have to settle down,SCD is just one of the challenges of life.

Like I said,it can be avoided.
We need to create more awareness.

Once you see someone you want to settle down with,the next thing should be ur genotype that way you are securing your children's future and avoiding future heartbreaks
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by queenbinteo: 6:38pm On Mar 07, 2013
@ OP - come to facebook let's chat. All will be well ma guy
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by uhuns: 7:14pm On Mar 07, 2013
1. guys pls stop quoting long post.

2. I will advise all to go for a min of 4 test at different times and places.

3.I have two different families with ss Kids age 10 and 6.they just got to know last yr and this yr. and they all claim to know their genotype prior to marriage.
5. or maybe a dna should suffice.

moral of the above is in item 2.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Ladapo(m): 7:17pm On Mar 07, 2013
Thanks for this level of Awareness aballi and I will want to encourage young couples of today to take this issue of genotype seriously before marriage. However, there is an issue I am still very confused about...I live in Canada but before relocating to Canada, have had to do my blood sampling twice and it was the basis of the result that I got married to my wife who is AS....I was told I was AA on the 2 occasions I had my tastings in Nigeria but when I got to Canada and we had a cause to do the testing again, it turned out to be "AD" ...even doctors here are confused about it but they said we could have a child with SD which is like SS...remember my wife is AS and now I am AD. It is my hope that I don't have anymore kids in order not to get into the possibilities and now, I have to lecture my daughters ( 1st girl is 3 and 2nd is less than 1) on the need to get married to AA genotype husbands cause they re already classified as AD.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone heard about AD before?
2. You really have to be sure of your genotype before marriage...please, please and please, though I did mine twice before leaving Nigeria.
3. Can someone lecture us all on the different types available?
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by ifeci: 7:27pm On Mar 07, 2013
Pls for those of us living with Sickle cell disorder or who have children with sickle cell or who knows someone with sickle cell, pls b advised that there is a drug called "Ciklavit" and its for the management of sickle cell; I knw ppl who use it and it helps them. Ask your pharmacist or check any pharmacy store. pls ensure u chck ur genotype b4 marriage cos prevention is better than cure.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by decoslim(m): 7:32pm On Mar 07, 2013
Informative trend
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 7:39pm On Mar 07, 2013
queen binte o: @ OP - come to facebook let's chat. All will be well ma guy

Binte I just saw this. But am going there right away.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 7:52pm On Mar 07, 2013
Ladapo:
it turned out to be "AD" ...even doctors here are confused about it but they said we could have a child with SD which is like SS...remember my wife is AS and now I am AD. It is my hope that I don't have anymore kids in order not to get into the possibilities and now, I have to lecture my daughters ( 1st girl is 3 and 2nd is less than 1) on the need to get married to AA genotype husbands cause they re already classified as AD.

My questions are:
2. You really have to be sure of your genotype before marriage...please, please and please, though I did mine twice before leaving Nigeria.

I have heard of AC, cos my family doctor was the first to diagnose me as SC. Most private Lab I have had my test in, always return the result as SS. But after the AA incident above, my blood sample was sent to a Teaching Hospital and it came back as SC.
I believe SD, SC, Sickle Beta etc are all milder forms of Sickle Cell Disease.
It's good that you have started educating your daughters.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 7:55pm On Mar 07, 2013
uhuns: 1. guys pls stop quoting long post.

2. I will advise all to go for a min of 4 test at different times and places.

3.I have two different families with ss Kids age 10 and 6.they just got to know last yr and this yr. and they all claim to know their genotype prior to marriage.
5. or maybe a dna should suffice.

moral of the above is in item 2.

In addition to what you said above, I will advice that people should have themselves tested at least once in a teaching hospital. PLEASE IT IS NECESSARY.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by queenbinteo: 7:55pm On Mar 07, 2013
@ deco - remember me? Ow far wit the medicatn? I stil have your cane here. You kno wat am talkin abt. @ Abali - tell him o

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 7:59pm On Mar 07, 2013
3215 views,
guys we need more responces. Don't shy away from the topic.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by queenbinteo: 8:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
Ladapo: Thanks for this level of Awareness aballi and I will want to encourage young couples of today to take this issue of genotype seriously before marriage. However, there is an issue I am still very confused about...I live in Canada but before relocating to Canada, have had to do my blood sampling twice and it was the basis of the result that I got married to my wife who is AS....I was told I was AA on the 2 occasions I had my tastings in Nigeria but when I got to Canada and we had a cause to do the testing again, it turned out to be "AD" ...even doctors here are confused about it but they said we could have a child with SD which is like SS...remember my wife is AS and now I am AD. It is my hope that I don't have anymore kids in order not to get into the possibilities and now, I have to lecture my daughters ( 1st girl is 3 and 2nd is less than 1) on the need to get married to AA genotype husbands cause they re already classified as AD.

My questions are:
I have nt heard of AD but kno of CC n this means there wud be DD. Its beta pple go for genotype test  in teaching hospital. I have known ma kind of genotype since birth but was just nt sure whether its wt S or C. One of the mushroom labs tested ma bloodgroup as 0+ve n UCH testd me as AB.
All these roadside labs are confusionist.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by eahk(m): 8:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
ifeci: Pls for those of us living with Sickle cell disorder or who have children with sickle cell or who knows someone with sickle cell, pls b advised that there is a drug called "Ciklavit" and its for the management of sickle cell; I knw ppl who use it and it helps them. Ask your pharmacist or check any pharmacy store. pls ensure u chck ur genotype b4 marriage cos prevention is better than cure.

Yeah Ciklavite is a syrup for kids only.
But Hydroxyurea is for Both and its use should be supervised.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by decoslim(m): 8:47pm On Mar 07, 2013
queen binte o: @ deco - remember me? Ow far wit the medicatn? I stil have your cane here. You kno wat am talkin abt. @ Abali - tell him o

Lol.....Yeah!....remember u....

*smile*

Hope u good too...
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by queenbinteo: 9:02pm On Mar 07, 2013
eahk:

Whre can I get Hydroxyure n ow much?
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by ifeci: 9:27pm On Mar 07, 2013
eahk:

. I don't know about ciklavite syrup for kids but the "Ciklavit" that I talked about is a Nutritional supplement used by both adults and kids.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by deoladele(f): 10:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
Yes ciklavite is for both adult nd children bt hydroxyurea shdnt be taken except its prescribed by ur doc.thanks!
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by patrkq(m): 12:03am On Mar 08, 2013
Abali1:

Assuming you are still single, do you think you can marry a SS (since that is the only compatible genotype for a SS)?
If Not, please can you give your reason(s)?
i can if her mother is de queen of England
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by patrkq(m): 12:27am On Mar 08, 2013
mujiboy: . If truly there is a cure for SCD then it isn't even publicly known, though I believe there ia a cure to every disease unless its unknown yet. Won't mind if U can enlighten on the range of cost and some other conditions,
a bone marrow transplant is an effective way of managing(almost like a cure)... bt it doesn't come cheap. Dunno d actual price range but it's a really complex procedure
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by palmasglobal: 12:44am On Mar 08, 2013
Winneygirl: It pains me to hear adults say they don't know their genotype. I didnt, but I'm glad I do now. I wouldn't have known I am AS.But I am somehow alarmed that there are so many AS genotype people out there. I have learnt to ask appropriately before stepping into any relationship. Saves a lot of headaches/heartaches.
my dear, lets it not pain you, anyone can be a victim after the test, in which i am one, before my wedding we went for this genotype test, i did mine at eco-scan and my wife to be then who is now my wife did hers at ecwa medical center, we were compatable and recommended to be wedded in which we did, we had our fisrt issue, and second issue as well, but the second issue was always fallen sick, when we went for genotype test on her we were told she is SS, can it be possible? we now have to do another test on her we were told she is an AA, we went i and my wife to do another test we found out another different genotype compare to our first test, we went to another lab we now have different result again compare to the 2, pls in this situation who do i blame, i have 2 different genotype result, in this case what do i do and which should i beleive. pls advice. thank u.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by palmasglobal: 12:58am On Mar 08, 2013
jaidopor: A question for everybody,

Do you start a relationship based on genotype? Imagine meeting a girl and the first question you ask her is her genotype?

I have witness a real life situation where the bride refused to show up for her marriage because she is AS and the groom is AS too. She got to know 3 weeks before the marriage date and when she told the groom that the marriage is off, the guy thought she was joking. Only for her not to show up on her marriage day.

The point is marriage is all about risk. The probability of successful marriage is 20%. For the probability to be higher and for couples to have a successful marriage, then both the party have to sacrifice to make the marriage work. So, marriage is all about taking risk.

I like this person, like ur comment, i have 3 different genotype result then which should i beleive is the right one, so i should not get married?

My personal view is that if you dont want to take a risk by marrying an AS then there are other aspect of the relationship that you will not take risk on. The probability of 2 AS's having a child with SCD is 25% out of 4 kids. The child with SCD can be the 1st, 2nd,4th and 3rd kids. Have you ever thought about having 3 kids with no SCD child if you are lucky (it has happen before - 2 AS's marrying each other and they dont have any SCD kids). It a risk.

How about 2 AA's having kids with gene / DNA disorder. It can happen to anyone. How will you test against that? Or child with birth defect. How will you prevent that? How about 2 AA's having kids that turn out to wayward. I have seen parent curse the day they gave birth to some kids and parent saying that its better not to have kids than have bad ones.

Life is all about risk. The man or the woman that you rejected based on genotype might be the person that will bring happiness into your life and you achieving your aim in life.

I am AA but genotype is not a determining factor for me when i want to get married. I am a risk taker.

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by papaGEJ: 1:08am On Mar 08, 2013
Its a gud tin 2 educate pipo abt SCD, although it is nt a terminal disease like cancer nd HIV bt its gud our children live a life dat is free 4rm crisis, b able 2 participate in any sport of deir choice nd look health nd strong. Life itself is a risk bt u'll nt undrstnd wat an SS patient is passin thru, d emotnal trauma, d pains, d stigma nd al of dat. U might say dey cn live like every oda humans, bt dat is nt true. Yeah death cn come at anytime bt d question is dt must u suffer b4 u die? So b4 u tink of bringin a child into dis world tink of d kind of life u wnt 4 dat child. I'm a sickler, i didn't know it until age 20, d doc said i'm d lucky type bt believe me dere is no lucky1 wen it comes 2 SS, I'v lived d 2 kind of life. So if u re AS or SS pls insist on marrying an AA nd help our next generation. With care, lots of rest, lots of fluid, nd avoiding of stress, too cold nd hot conditions one can reduce d chances of crisis.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by ugogozi: 10:54am On Mar 08, 2013
̥-̶̯͡»̶̥A̶̲̥̅♏ an s.s patient. Life is very hard. 4 me crisis. S̶̲̥̅o painful
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 10:57am On Mar 08, 2013
palmasglobal:
my dear, lets it not pain you, anyone can be a victim after the test, in which i am one, before my wedding we went for this genotype test, i did mine at eco-scan and my wife to be then who is now my wife did hers at ecwa medical center, we were compatable and recommended to be wedded in which we did, we had our fisrt issue, and second issue as well, but the second issue was always fallen sick, when we went for genotype test on her we were told she is SS, can it be possible? we now have to do another test on her we were told she is an AA, we went i and my wife to do another test we found out another different genotype compare to our first test, we went to another lab we now have different result again compare to the 2, pls in this situation who do i blame, i have 2 different genotype result, in this case what do i do and which should i beleive. pls advice. thank u.

My dear, do yourself and family a favour and go to A Teaching Hospital to conduct and genotype test. Most road side Laboratories do not have the equipment to differentiate differences in Genetic Make up...

If it turns out that ur child is SS, please do her a favour by keeping yourself updated in the treatment and management of SS person.
Thank You.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by ugogozi: 11:14am On Mar 08, 2013
It also happened 2 me. Nt untill I went 2 unth hospital nd I w̶̲̥̅̊α̲̅$ told dat I w̶̲̥̅̊α̲̅$ an s.s
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Anka(m): 4:38pm On Mar 08, 2013
Hi, like I use to say , dat the days of our parents are not our days. In those days technology was not in place, people lived as if all was normal but in our time technology and sceintic resheach over the years has brought out a lot of discoveries dats why onces there's a concluded reseach awareness pertaini that ailment is made known to the public.pllease b4 you propose to a lady be friends first with that you both will no your status b4 goin ahead to propose or not. Please, don't say because love, u marry an ss only to bring children to the world to suffer as you also will not hav peace. Let's put first tins first. Thank you
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by xlnc2324: 4:46pm On Mar 08, 2013
An AS and SS relationship, is 'love' and 'faith' enough to get through? Wonder, wonder, wonder!
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by amarush(f): 5:36pm On Mar 08, 2013
Smh at all this misdiagnosis. Same thing with my husband, two tests in Nigeria both results AA. Husband was tested in the UK at the insistance of the hospital after I got pregnant and I tested AS. Husband result came back AS. Anyway we have to beautiful children, first born AA, second AS. Both pregnancies opted to have CVS, a procedure where a needle is inserted through your stomach to extract amniotic fluid to test for SS in the babies. 2 week wait for the results, the longest two weeks of my life.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 5:52pm On Mar 08, 2013
amarush: Smh at all this misdiagnosis. Same thing with my husband, two tests in Nigeria both results AA. Husband was tested in the UK at the insistance of the hospital after I got pregnant and I tested AS. Husband result came back AS. Anyway we have to beautiful children, first born AA, second AS. Both pregnancies opted to have CVS, a procedure where a needle is inserted through your stomach to extract amniotic fluid to test for SS in the babies. 2 week wait for the results, the longest two weeks of my life.

This thread is all about sharing experiences, gaining knowledge about SCD, creating awareness and I can now add letting the public know that it is not enough to visit just any laboratory for the purpose of Genotype testing.
Please, ensure that you at least get yourself tested once in a Teaching Hospital or a Lab that sometimes send their samples to the teaching hospital for testing.
The future of your unborn child is very important, do your best to protect it.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by ceah(m): 6:33pm On Mar 08, 2013
To stop crisis of the sickle cell anemia, you can visit this thread. the biodisc is a wonderful product that can prevent crisis

https://www.nairaland.com/207769/nature-healing-power-living-water

https://www.nairaland.com/208012/bio-disc-living-water-scalar

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Terminating A Six Month Pregnancy / What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? / My Husband Hates My Best Friend. What Should I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.