Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected (107890 Views)

How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey / How To Grow Our Hair Longer And Healthier / How Do I Make My Hair Longer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by chiggie(f): 10:22am On Jul 02, 2013
hi y'all!
my own case is critical. iv had natural hair all my life. I had really long hair few years back until I got into the uni. its hard to take good care of my hair with all the wahala I face in school. so weaves n kinky braids became became my best friends. The problem is, for the past three years, I haven't seen any noticeable growth n it seems my hair gets shorter. I dnt know where I'm getting it wrong. I still maintain my hair routines when my hair was long. Please help!

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Cherrianjohn(f): 9:54am On Jul 04, 2013
Ifeholuwarh: This thread is for girls who are fed up of having short hair and want to grow it long.

All you have to do is to ask me any question bothering you as you achieve the length you aspire or you can share your hair growth problems or remedies.
http://www.rpgshow.com/officialblog/how-to-grow-black-hair-faster-and-longer/
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by freebreeze: 3:03pm On Jul 04, 2013
I want to know if amla hair oil is a good moisturizing hair oil cos I plan switching to it
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 06, 2013
Am hairy and my scalp hair grows fast but the length doesn't increase or change much cos it breaks faster than it grows. I have had to start over several times but there's still no difference. My hair isn't so dark so i used to dye it, but there was stil no improvement after i stopped and started all over. I have curly full hair that looks very thick and tough but is actually really soft and i also need recommendations on relaxers to use on my hair cos the ones have tried ends up burning my scalp, some were so harsh on my scalp that i had to wash it off immediately after application.

plsssssssss i need advice on what to do, even if it means starting it all over again! cry cry cry
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by RickyMartin1: 8:52am On Jul 07, 2013
That's why it's hardly surprising that argan oil, also known as Moroccan oil, has become a popular component of many skin and hair care products these days. Manufacturers are trying to cash in on the trend. However, just because there's a trend, it doesn't mean that argan nut oil is merely a fad that will be forgotten after a few months. The use of buy argan oil has been around in Morocco for hundreds of years. Its effectiveness as a hair conditioner is proven.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 9:54am On Aug 06, 2013
I am sorry for the delay in response. Please it was not intentional.

LETS LEARN SOME THINGS ABOUT RELAXERS:

Both lye and no lye relaxers are both very strong alkaline chemicals that work by changing the basic structure of the hair shaft. The chemical penetrates the cortex or cortical layer which gives our hair its natural curls, and loosens the natural curly pattern. Once this process is performed, it is irreversible. This process produces the desired effect yet damages our hair health leaving it weak and extremely susceptible to breaking and other damage.

Ever wondered; Why some relaxers are harsher than others, they were meant for thicker hair. Why some gives you allergic reaction while others dont. Why some burns your hair even without scratching it and yet people you know never complained. Why some relaxers straightened others hair well but never yours. These variations are due to your scalp normal pH level. Too acidic scalp=neutralizing effect. Too alkaline scalp= burns central. If you are on a certain medication or you consume acidic foods or fruits such as orange juice, soda etc. This can lower your normal body pH from 5.5 to 3.5. This means that scalp secretions, perspiration or sebum will be at the same lower pH. All of these plus heavy hair dressings, coat the lower shaft causing a pre-neutralizing effect on the hair prior to contact with the relaxer. combing a relaxer cream with a pH of 12-13 with scalp secretions at a pH of 3.5-4.0 may result in a pH of 8.5 or less. This pH is generally too low to relax you hair. So apart from finding the right relaxer for your hair it is also essential to control the pH level of your body.

I feel, choosing a relaxer brand for somebody because of how it works for my hair is not advisable in sense that we all have different hair texture as well as our scalp sensitivity. So I advice; if you are trying the product for the first time, try scalp test by applying the relaxer on a small area of the scalp and wait to see what kind of reaction you personally have to it. This will prevent you from allergic reactions and scalp damage problems.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 11:17am On Aug 06, 2013
Tolueneayomide: Hi. Use organics kit relaxer 4 my hair, bt its nt of even length & cn b anoying wen i wnt to style & pack. Any remedies?

One thing we should always bea in mind is that when we treat our hair with chemicals it will either fall out, or suffer from so much breakage. this is always observed 2-s wks after application. Relaxing the hair harm it no matter the kind of relaxer used. So the question is how do I strengthen my hair after relaxing?

*First you have to trim our hair because split ends couldget out of contol and travel up your hair shaft, making some part of the hair shorter than the rest.
*Get some protein treatment- It's important not to overdo the protein because too much can be drying. Alternate mild protein treatments with deep conditioners to keep your hair healthy and prevent breakage.
*Ease up on heat;
High heat-damage-breakage.
Frequent heat-damage-breakage. While curling irons, flat irons and blow dryers make our live easier, allowing us to wear just about any style, these toolscan also cause irrevocable damage when used to often.

INCREASING STRENGTH WITH NATURAL OILS
Coconut oil is particularly recommended foruse this wa, the beauty of coconut oil is that it fills in the gaps in your hair and makes it stronger, this in turn makes it more resistant to combing damage. Do consider using extra virgin coconut oil it contains more nutrients due to its unrefined nature. one way to gain the benefit of the nutrients contained inthe oil, is to do a hot oil treatment. Other oils which are ideal for strengthening your hair are mustard oil and sesame seed oil.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 11:28am On Aug 06, 2013
nikkykay:
Thank u Ife for this wonderful advice.
I want to know the implication of not cutting my baby (14mths) first hair. The hair she was born with.
I have been makin her hair since she was 6mths with clothed bands.
Just after she was 1yr in Feb, i decided to be taking her to hairdresser to make her hair. The HD started using wool & rubber bands> This has caused a graet damage to her lovely and very full hair thereby making it scanty.
I have decided to go back to making it myself with clothed band.
People are now saying its becos i havent cut the first hair which i believe has trimmed off while making her hair all these while.
Please i want to know if i shld cut d hair even ho its still long or i shld just continue to making it till it grows back and then trim to level later

NOTE: i always follwed ur above advice whn i was making the hair all by myself but whn she statrted going to salon i was told to be making her hair every 2weeks cos of her scalp so i wasnt washing weekly again every week but every 2weeks. I discovered later dat dirts wuld have clogged to d base of the weaving dreby making d hair to cut.

Thank you

Cutting a child's first hair is just an old myth. It is believed that a child's first hair is connected to the child's destiny since that is the hair the child brought into the world from heaven. So parents are advised to cut it off and disposed it secretly so that ones enemy do not use it to cause harm on the child. personally, I find that premitive. I dont know about you, tho'. But if you dont believe in such, then you should have no problem keeping her first hair and maintaining it till its longer.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 12:33pm On Aug 06, 2013
preety jay: hy ife. i have been followin ds thread i must say i luv wat ur doin.
i used to have a very long and beautiful hair buh d hair is no more cus i changed relaxer. Now my problem is dat my hair is very short, its breakin so much and i also have dandruff dat makes me to scratch my hair alws infact all d tym and it itch so much. i use soulmate for d dandruff as well as sesame oil and olive oil buh i've not seen any improvement cus as am typing ds am scratching my hair almost every 5sec. i also use vinoz shampoo and conditioner.
ife wen u said condition daily, do u mean washin d hair with conditioner daily and can i use pink oil as a conditioner plus how often is d hair supposed to be washed cus i wash my hair every 2 wks. thanks. i await ur response.

HOW TO TREAT DANDRUFF
1- Select a medicated dandrff shampoo: using a medicated dandruff shampoo can treat danduff problems. Typical dandruff treatment shampoos include active ingredients like zinc pyrithione ZPT, Ketoconazole, Selenim sulfide, Sulphur and salicylic acid to treat the scalp and fight the fungal infection causing the dandruff. Gently comb your hair to loosen dandruff on the scalp, then treat the hair evary two to three days with dandruff shampoo treatment since dandruff tends to respond positively to frequent shampooing especially when the dandruff shampoo is allowed to sit on the hair undisturbed for several minutes. But if shampooin you hai more than once a week is not appealing, then working the shampoo into your scalp for five minutes and leaving it undisturbed on the scalp for another several minutes during your weekly wash may be an effective alternative. This danruff treatments include the use of both shampoo and conditional which keep you hair moistures and dandruff free.

2- For stubborn cases of dandruff that do not improve in several weeks, alternating your dandruff shampoo with another dandruff shampoo that contain a different active ingredient could be applied. Once dandruff begins to improve gradually phase out your medicated shampoo.

3- Moisturize you hair using leave in conditioners and natural oils such as coconut oil. Due to the fact that regular shapooin of your hair would cause it to dry out, it is advisable to hydrate your scalp regularly.

4- Avoid heavy oils and pomades: This oiling products may provide temporary, cosmetic relief of flaky danduff, it may also worsen the dandruff problem. Also thooughly rinse the conditioner from your hair, as leftover product residue can mimic the apperance of dandruff on the scalp also new growth can trap conditioners near the scalp and cause flaking if rinsing isnt done properly.

5- Improve on your diet: Eatind well balanced diet has important benefit beyond relieveing dandruff. Siegfried Gurshe's encyclopedia of natural healin idenifies carbohydrates intake as a trigger of dandruff and suggests increasing B-Vitamins intake to fight dandruff. Excellent dietar sources of B-6 include beans, meat, poultry and fish. Gurshe suggests avoiding trigger foods such as white flour, suger, chocolate, nuts and shellfish to contol dandruff. Consult your doctor befor beginning any new dietary regiment.

6- See a dermatologist if condition worsens or does not improve after treatment.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 12:27pm On Aug 07, 2013
GETTING LONGER HAIR AND INCREASING HAIR GROWTH WITH NATURAL OILS:

Massaging your scalp promoted hair growth due to th increased blood flow to the hair follicles. using a natural oil that stimulate circulation increases the benefit of the massage, as it works with the massage to supply your hair follicles with the nourishment that your hair needs. Nourished follicles promote and produce better hair growth. The oils that you can use in this way are, rosemary oil and mustard oil both of these oils increases circulation. Hair growth can also be stimulated by using unrefined oils to massage your scalp, they contain higher levels of noutrients which are good for your hair. As plain castor oil is a ver thick oil, you may want to blend it with lighter oil such as Almond oil. Ultimately for scap massage to be really effective, it needs to be done on a weekly basis for 10mins at a time
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ifeholuwarh(f): 12:33pm On Aug 07, 2013
HOT OIL TREATMENT:

A hot oil treatment can be done on wet or dry hair and then shampooed out. To treat wet hair, simply warm the oil by pouring it into a bowlor an old squeezy applicator bottle. Place the bowl or bottle in hot water to warm. Aply the natural oil to your scalp and hair, massage it through. Ensure you test before hand that it is not too hot. Cover your hair with a plastic cap and wrap a hot towel around your head. or sit under a hooded dryer for 20-30mins. shampoo out. For dry hair treatment, heat the oil and apply it to your hair and leave in overnight, shampoo out in the morning.
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Destinygrl(f): 8:05pm On Aug 07, 2013
hey ify tnz for all d tips u r givn us. i heard tht henna makes hair to be stronger,prevents shedding and makes the hair shiny bt hw can i achieve all tht without it changing my hair colour to redish
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Nafbel: 11:43am On Aug 23, 2013
Wislet: @OP.
Is there any cream to make hair very soft?
I have long hair, but i can't carry it like that without weaving 'cos it's stubborn! And i'd soooo love to wear my natural hair.
Is it possible to make african stubborn hair to really 'sleep'? Like...get really soft, and u can just comb it and wear it like that, or style if u want.
Sometimes i envy the 'oyinbos' smiley

i think u should try this homemade recipe, it works wonders
4 parts VO5 conditioner
2 parts shea butter
1 part olive oil
mix them together and use as a leave-in. i dont think you will get a better moisturiser than it. you will love your hair and u wont have to envy the oyinbos. i came across the recipe at blackhairinformation.com, i've dumped all my hair products after using it

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Luckygurl(f): 6:09pm On Aug 23, 2013
Dis is what I've been searching for. Ever since I started making my hair a year ago, I've not yet relaxed it.
My natural hair is full, black and very stubborn. It tangles so easily dat I'm always scared of washing.
Perhaps U did suggest tips on how to soften my hair, reduce d rate at which it tangles which automatically stretches d hair.

P.S- I've made use of a stretcher a few times but my hair still comes back to it's normal state.
Thanks in anticipation 4 Ur respönse.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Destinygrl(f): 7:57pm On Aug 23, 2013
@nafbel pls is it the normal V05 rinse out conditioner?
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Damilo2010: 6:33pm On Aug 25, 2013
Hi ify,ur thread is excting,educating and sweet.pls i'd like to knw if i cn condition my hair daily,i hv dallas leave in conditioner,and coconut oil and shea butter.pls hw do i use it?shd d coconut oil b washed out?and what abt d leave in conditioner?
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Nafbel: 7:43pm On Aug 25, 2013
Destinygrl :
@nafbe pls is it the normal V05 rinse out conditioner?

Yes its the normal VO5 conditioner. When I saw the post at blackhairinformation, I felt it was wrong to use a rinse out conditoner as a leave-in, so I asked if am supposed to wash it out but the response was "as a leave-in". My hair is a virgin hair, it is super soft since I started using it with less breakage
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Destinygrl(f): 2:19pm On Aug 26, 2013
hmmm guess its ok to use deep conditioner as leave-in conditioner as some people do. tnks for sharing the tip
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by bukatyne(f): 3:13pm On Aug 26, 2013
Hi peeps,

Earlier this year, I started really paying attention to my hair lipsrsealed

I have noticed that shea butter makes it really really grow, my hair is now softer and fuller...

However, when I washed my hair and combed it, all the growth broke off cry

Please what can I use to retain the growth?
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Sanguine(f): 1:03pm On Aug 27, 2013
Hi people... Been following this thread and it's been quite eye opening...

Now I wanna ask, how true is it that fixing weave-ons helps the hair grow longer

NB: I've virgin hair and I've been on a 'marathon fixing' since December 2012...as I'm always scared to leave my hair open for too long....
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Nafbel: 4:11pm On Aug 27, 2013
Destinygrl :
hmmm guess its ok to use deep conditioner as leave-in conditioner as some people do. tnks for sharing the tip

pls i wont advise you to use a conditioner on your scalp. just on the hair
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Destinygrl(f): 9:56pm On Aug 27, 2013
yeah sure i prefer to let my pores breathe
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Destinygrl(f): 10:23pm On Aug 27, 2013
weave-on is a protective style so it can mk hair grow longr if fixed in d rt way or alopica if done too tight, for it to serve as a hair growth style one has to take care of d real hair under it by washing or cleaning d scalp, moisturizing, sealing and scalp msgs. @bukatyne does ur hair break or shedd, the broken hairs do they hv white bulbs at d end or not? if they do pls try tea rinse if not cheek ur protein-moisture balance and finger detangle b4 combing to reduce knots nd breakage during combing
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by girlkell(f): 10:20am On Aug 29, 2013
Thank God I saw this thread.my hair which used to be full before is now very scanty.when I relax my hair most times my scalp gets burnt maybe cause I leave it on too long and I loose a lot of hair.my front hair looks like something ate and remained,its a bit longer in the middle,short at the back and sou brown in color,in adiition its sou coarse.sou hard to comb and anytime I comb it I loose hair.I've been on on this hair I fixed for almost 2months now cause I'm scared of what my hair wuld look like this time.well I guess its time to cut it low:-( ..I know where to get few of these oil mention but I'm sure they wud be already refined.pls can anyone tell me how to get this unrefined castor oil, almond oil and how much it cost.I'm in ph
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by queenesthr(f): 10:29am On Aug 29, 2013
girlkell: Thank God I saw this thread.my hair which used to be full before is now very scanty.when I relax my hair most times my scalp gets burnt maybe cause I leave it on too long and I loose a lot of hair.my front hair looks like something ate and remained,its a bit longer in the middle,short at the back and sou brown in color,in adiition its sou coarse.sou hard to comb and anytime I comb it I loose hair.I've been on on this hair I fixed for almost 2months now cause I'm scared of what my hair wuld look like this time.well I guess its time to cut it low:-( ..I know where to get few of these oil mention but I'm sure they wud be already refined.pls can anyone tell me how to get this unrefined castor oil, almond oil and how much it cost.I'm in ph

You can buy them online at www.sizzelle.com.
They'll deliver the products to you within 48 hours. Cheers!
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by MOAsymbolic(f): 3:44pm On Aug 30, 2013
Hi, ife. Thanks for your advice but i just wanna know a few things.
1) I started making my hair in may, 2010. Though, its reaching my back now i.e the length, but i know its supposed to be longer than that because when i was young before i cut my hair, it was way longer than it is now. What should i do?
2)Also, i'v been using ebony to relax my hair and its been trying small though my hair is stubborn. I changed to UB last 2 mnths and it did wonders to my hair but i read something that we shld avoid any shampoo that contains sodium laureth sulfate but the UB shampoo that came wif the relaxer contains it. Is the UB shampoo and conditioner bad? If yes, which should i use? Pls specify.
3) Also, i dnt hv hair at front. What do you advice i use?
4) is a conditioner the same as leave-in conditioner or moisturizer? Thanks
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by JeanJWebb: 8:30am On Sep 09, 2013
My hair is so delicate and hair are fall step by step numerous medication i will tried however not get come about exceptionally fulfilled if any inference for me please.
dallas apartment locators
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by NappilyNigerian(f): 3:17pm On Oct 08, 2013
MOAsymbolic: Hi, ife. Thanks for your advice but i just wanna know a few things.
1) I started making my hair in may, 2010. Though, its reaching my back now i.e the length, but i know its supposed to be longer than that because when i was young before i cut my hair, it was way longer than it is now. What should i do?
2)Also, i'v been using ebony to relax my hair and its been trying small though my hair is stubborn. I changed to UB last 2 mnths and it did wonders to my hair but i read something that we shld avoid any shampoo that contains sodium laureth sulfate but the UB shampoo that came wif the relaxer contains it. Is the UB shampoo and conditioner bad? If yes, which should i use? Pls specify.
3) Also, i dnt hv hair at front. What do you advice i use?
4) is a conditioner the same as leave-in conditioner or moisturizer? Thanks

Alternative SLS shampoos are Creme of Nature Argan oil sulfate free shampoo and Keracare Cleansing creme.

For front hair, massage a mix of castor oil,rosemary essential oil and shea butter daily. It takes a month or two for new hair to grow out. Please avoid tight braids and weaves and don't over relax the front. That's what is making it weak.

A conditioner is different from a leave in conditioner and a moisturiser due to the different ingredients present in it.
A conditioner aids in detangling and balances out your hair, a leave in conditioner is designed not to be rinsed out and a moisturiser contains a mix of water and oil.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by NappilyNigerian(f): 3:22pm On Oct 08, 2013
chiggie: hi y'all!
my own case is critical. iv had natural hair all my life. I had really long hair few years back until I got into the uni. its hard to take good care of my hair with all the wahala I face in school. so weaves n kinky braids became became my best friends. The problem is, for the past three years, I haven't seen any noticeable growth n it seems my hair gets shorter. I dnt know where I'm getting it wrong. I still maintain my hair routines when my hair was long. Please help!

I've had natural hair all my life too. The most likely reason it hasn't grown in a while is because you may not moisturise your hair easily while it is in extensions and weaves. So it gets dry and break off.

How long do you take the weaves and extensions for?
Do you deep condition prior to styling?
What products are you currently using?
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by NappilyNigerian(f): 3:23pm On Oct 08, 2013
chiggie: hi y'all!

I've had natural hair all my life too. The most likely reason it hasn't grown in a while is because you may not moisturise your hair easily while it is in extensions and weaves. So it gets dry and break off.

How long do you take the weaves and extensions for?
Do you deep condition prior to styling?
What products are you currently using?
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by Ruthioreth(f): 3:08am On Oct 09, 2013
Hi,Ʈƕǎƞӄs for this informatIon,I have a problem wit my front hair I've tried everything but it has refused 2 grow,pls is there a solution embarassed
Re: How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected by NappilyNigerian(f): 10:47am On Oct 09, 2013
Ruth ioreth: Hi,Ʈƕǎƞӄs for this informatIon,I have a problem wit my front hair I've tried everything but it has refused 2 grow,pls is there a solution embarassed

Try out this recipe. it helped me grow out mine.

www.nappilynigeriangirl..com/2012/06/how-to-grow-your-natural-hair-thick.html?m=1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Girls Blasted For Exposing Cleavage In Hijab [PICS] / Lady Wears A Bum Short To Young-Shall-Grow Park Onitsha (pic) / A Lady's Outfit To A Church In Delta State Shocks A Man. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.