Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,996 members, 7,810,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") (9304 Views)

Why Do Men Always Wake Up Like This In The Morning? / Why Are Nigerian Men Always Jealous Of Successful Nigerian Women? / Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 9:24pm On Dec 09, 2005
i can count more dan 6 gurlz dat have replied! and we ain't gotta fight 4 notin with yall y? cuz yall don't get it and i'm not sure if yall gon ever get it no offence so why waste our time?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Seun(m): 9:41pm On Dec 10, 2005
THe burden is not on us (men) to understand it. The burden is on you (women) to make us get it, because you are the ones supposedly suffering!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 1:58am On Dec 12, 2005
y can't da burden be on u guyz to stop been ..........and get it!! even skool teachers get angry when he/she keeps teaching da student something and da lil boi/gurl still don't get it and keeps making da same mistake. u gotta make an effort to wanna know!! i got lots of diff stuff to do dan be wasting my time talking about da same old stuff over and over again!!! if u really wanna know and wanna help just go to da internet it's got lots of resource!!!!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Seun(m): 11:47am On Dec 12, 2005
Well you're the ones 'suffering'. We men are feeling perfectly fine grin.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 9:22pm On Dec 12, 2005
i'm not suffering!!! guyz better not be trying to dominate me or i'm gon show him y he shouldn't!! suffer is not da right word but i'm still thinking!! Da women r been treated injustly by guyz not all guyz but some. i won't say yall r perfectly fine cuz yall r da root of diz problem and if u guyz would just stop been selfish and have a broader mind then there won't be no problem or suffering like u put it!!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 2:32am On Dec 13, 2005
Seun:

THe burden is not on us (men) to understand it. The burden is on you (women) to make us get it, because you are the ones supposedly suffering!

you might not think you're sufferning because of it but you actually are!
the more the gender equality, the higher the national development index. so it affects the nation as a whole.
Africa is terribly lagging behind in this inequality of a thing. maybe when 100% instead of 50% gets fair amount of education, proper health care e.t.c. . the country will be 50% better (that's just my reasoning).
there are smart women who are denied the opportunity to make use of their potential for the nation. so the men invariably suffers from it also.

I see Nigeria's got a female Harvard graduate as minister. I wonder how many nigerian male with "un-faked" degrees are uncorrupt ministers  grin
maybe if you leave just 100 women like that lady to run the Nigerian Government, the nation won't be the second most corrupt and 9th poorest nation inthe world  grin

as i said earlier, it affects everyone.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 2:44am On Dec 13, 2005
I tell you, a woman can be supportive to a man but when they want to become "lady" (as abami eda describes-get FELA's Greatest Hits if you don't get it) ie Pick up roles not naturally suited to them, they always do that a cost.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 2:49am On Dec 13, 2005
I don't get your point. are you trying to imply that "a girl's education ends in kitchen" and she can't get involved in society because that's a "male only" sphere?

sorry to burst your bubble but i think you're either lost, or you're Rip Van Winkle the second. wake up and see that this isn't 7000 BC. .
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 2:51am On Dec 13, 2005
yeh the country might not be the 2nd most corrupt and might indeed not be the 9th poorest country but i tell you the truth...the homes of those women would be something else.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 2:56am On Dec 13, 2005
look it ain't about me eing in 700bc. it's either she's not being loyal to her hubby,or she's not supervising her kiddies properly or she's too busy doing this or doing that
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 3:23am On Dec 13, 2005
You're telling me that being well educated, intelligent and using your leadership potentials to your best abilities regardless of all the obstacles you face on your way as a result of your gender means you're unloyal to your husband?

I think she got maried to an intelligent and understanding man who is proud of her role in the government -- a pioneering one for that matter.

you of course would probably divorce your wife if you hear she smarter than you and has risen to such a position  grin
since i see you advocating for "no women's rights".

about that other comment of not supervising her "kiddies" . . maybe if she married extremely late or something but the woman is probably in her 50's.. .  her children should me matured "kids" in colleges looking up to their mom as a role model . . an individual who overcame the trials that came her way in making it to the top.  grin

i would be proud if i had a mom like that. you might not be but i'm not bothered  wink
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 3:31am On Dec 13, 2005
hehe wink...yeh i will divorce my wife but that'll be if all methods of persuading her to change her mind on that has failed. And no i'm not threathened by smart woman...but a woman has no place in government
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 3:33am On Dec 13, 2005
you ladies are want to be at par with men but that wasn't how it was meant to be. Supportive role: that the role of women...
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 3:38am On Dec 13, 2005
Swish:

yeh the country might not be the 2nd most corrupt and might indeed not be the 9th poorest country but i tell you the truth...the homes of those women would be something else.

If they are sacrificing their homes for the betterment of their country, i applaud them . . .
and at the same time denounce the men who are sacrificing the well being of the nation for the betterment of their ambitions and pockets! angry.

you should read some info about mary shelley. her mom was a feminist. she overcame many obstacles and died while giving birth to her last daughter . her daughter grew to be a post humous literary figure. . she wrote the classic "Frankenstein"  at  a tender age of 16!! (then, there was so much sexism that many men even refused to credit her. claiming that her husband wrote the book not her. . manuscripts from the beginning of her work however proved that she indeed wrote the book. she was never given much credit just because she was female! how are other females going to be encouraged to make achievements as such when they know that the odds are against them in such a "male domineered world"?

despite how bad her condition was (she suffered many emotional traumas too. . her persona reflects in her book!) we a century later, still enjoy her book and the fruits of the labor of many of these women!!!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 3:40am On Dec 13, 2005
Swish:

you ladies are want to be at par with men but that wasn't how it was meant to be. Supportive role: that the role of women...

do you mean supportive role or subordinate role. clarify!!

why can't men play supportive roles?

Swish:

hehe wink...yeh i will divorce my wife but that'll be if all methods of persuading her to change her mind on that has failed. And no i'm not threathened by smart woman...but a woman has no place in government

you'll divorce your wife if you learn she's risen above you in position? lipsrsealed. . .. are you anything other than a sexist at all?

you know, same thing happened with blacks in the united states not too long ago. they had practically no rights and couldn't be elected to any position in the government because the whites considered them inferior. . .
now we have black governors and politicians and in the near future, there's a very significant chance for the election of the first black US president. wink
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by nferyn(m): 10:26am On Dec 13, 2005
Swish:

Make a convincing argument for this ridiculous statement. If you cannot, you are nothing but an ignorant biggot. But obviously intelligence is not something you value very much.

Swish:

If that is your position, you are not worth marrying a woman, any [/i]woman for that matter. Again it seems that you are incapable of presenting a coherent argument in support of your statement that [i]a woman has no place in government
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Seun(m): 7:05pm On Dec 13, 2005
Swish, are you indirectly calling for the resignation of women like Liberia's Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf and our Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iyeala, the woman who brought us debt relief?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by layi(m): 7:38pm On Dec 13, 2005
Swish, you gotta wake up. This is the age where actions are preceeded by cogent reason and not by a stupid belief in inherited custom.
What in a woman makes her incapable of those roles. You seem more like what nferyn said....ignorant bigot.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 9:06pm On Dec 13, 2005
Swish i didn't know they still made men like ya!! wat century is diz again? r u sure u r in da right time zone cuz i don't think so!!!!!check again it's 2005!!!21st Century
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 3:26am On Dec 14, 2005
Seun:

Swish, are you indirectly calling for the resignation of women like Liberia's Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf and our Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iyeala, the woman who brought us debt relief?

I'm not calling for their resignation but the thing is they shouldn't have been their in the first place...

layi:

Swish, you gotta wake up. This is the age where actions are preceeded by cogent reason and not by a stupid belief in inherited custom.
What in a woman makes her incapable of those roles. You seem more like what nferyn said.ignorant bigot.

Layi don't miss my point, it's not about their capabilities and didn't say they can't perform well or anyhing like that...but that it's not their place....u didn't have to call me an ignorant bigot, u know. u missed my point
WesleyanA:

do you mean supportive role or subordinate role. clarify!!

why can't men play supportive roles?

you'll divorce your wife if you learn she's risen above you in position? lipsrsealed. . .. are you anything other than a sexist at all?

you know, same thing happened with blacks in the united states not too long ago. they had practically no rights and couldn't be elected to any position in the government because the whites considered them inferior. . .
now we have black governors and politicians and in the near future, there's a very significant chance for the election of the first black US president. wink

Supportive role...
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 10:23pm On Dec 14, 2005
Say wat? boi u need a reality checkup!!!! did i hear u say words like it's not their place? ok then where is their place?!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Seun(m): 10:36pm On Dec 14, 2005
He says women are supposed to support/assist men. That they shouldn't be 'on top', but they should be assist those on top. Like secretaries of large corporations who know everything about the company but are merely assistants to the CEO.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 10:55pm On Dec 14, 2005
yea i'm thinking maybe he's gotten knocked on d head by sumthing b4 no offence swish cuz i know everybody is entitled to their on thingy but dat thingy about it's not their place this is their place is so sexist and..........!! women r peoples too and jut cuz yall got ....don't make much difference!! no guy better tell me i'm not supposed to be on top!!! i'm meant 4 da top!! can u dig dat!! why be da secretary when i can be da CEO!!! Get diz My bible told me dat i will be the Head and not Da tail !! not even d middle!!!
so i think u gotta get with da world and update urself on wats been going on nowadays!!!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 3:01am On Dec 15, 2005
@ Swish, are you trying to say men are superior beings to women?
are you saying women are just weak, powerless creatures that don't have any commanding roles in society and are subordinate to their male counterparts?
are you saying women don't have rights to represent themselves and should let the men rule them politically, economically, socially e.t.c?
would you encourage a woman to vote?
are you trying to say that women holding political office and ability do take part in the decisions of the nation is wrong?
do you advocate "male supremacy" i.e men are superior to women e.t.c?
If your daughter grew up with a passion for a  law, political profession and pursues it dilligently, what would you do?
(i know you would divorce your wife but what would you do w/ your daughter?)

why do you believe women should not hold public office even when you know they are capable of doing so?
(to me that's a sign of ignorance on your part. Women like me are humans too and I think we have the right to pursue any career we would like just like men are free to.
I remember when people used to tell me "it's for men only" when i say "i want to become a doctor". . .that's just plain ignorant.

Swish:

supportive
swish, you have to answer my questions fully and state your reasons why you think whatever your reason is true.
don't give me one word answers that don't make any sense like the one i quoted from you. i said "clarify.."
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 4:30am On Dec 15, 2005
WesleyanA:

@ Swish, are you trying to say men are superior beings to women?
1. are you saying women are just weak, powerless creatures that don't have any commanding roles in society and are subordinate to their male counterparts?
2. are you saying women don't have rights to represent themselves and should let the men rule them politically, economically, socially e.t.c?
3. would you encourage a woman to vote?
4. are you trying to say that women holding political office and ability do take part in the decisions of the nation is wrong?
5. do you advocate "male supremacy" i.e men are superior to women e.t.c?
6. If your daughter grew up with a passion for a law, political profession and pursues it dilligently, what would you do?
(i know you would divorce your wife but what would you do w/ your daughter?)

why do you believe women should not hold public office even when you know they are capable of doing so?
(to me that's a sign of ignorance on your part. Women like me are humans too and I think we have the right to pursue any career we would like just like men are free to.
I remember when people used to tell me "it's for men only" when i say "i want to become a doctor". . .that's just plain ignorant.
swish, you have to answer my questions fully and state your reasons why you think whatever your reason is true.
don't give me one word answers that don't make any sense like the one i quoted from you. i said "clarify.."

1. W I'm not saying that women are weak creatures neither am I saying they are powerless.
2. Why should it be about women representing themselves, why complex yourselves...life went on very well as it was b4 one person (whoever it was started this whole feminist movement crap). eg. just like saying you need a president from a minority ethnic group to make the minority ethnic groups have a voice...a good president is a good president and cares for all. So why should you think of it as men ruling women...it's just crazy talk...it's just a man ruling the people.
3. Yes, a woman can surely vote.
4. Holding political office, yes wrong. contributing in decision making not wrong...hope you get that. (ask questions if you don't.
5. Look...that's the complex thing again..male supremacy..hy attach such bogus and sensational words to a natural state.
6. If my daughter wants to read law why not, she can read watever she wants to and as she becomes a lady i'll only pray for God to give her proper guidance because we mortals can only do as much as we can. For God controls all.

It's totally wrong and as i said b4 it's not in their natural place to be in such places (holding political office). Now, I totally understand wht you mean, but you see it's almost as same as being gay or being a lesbain (not directly comparing them o). It's not right but it's done and it is gradually becoming a normal thing.

Please Comment
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 5:00am On Dec 15, 2005
if they r not weak and powerless so what are they? Because i don't get what your view on women are anymore! u r sorta contradicting ur self! if they got power why can't they aim high?
so r u saying we are only good for making decision but are not good for getting the job done?
it went on very smooothly because women then accepted it as their fate but things change people got smarter. it went on smoothly before because we didn't go for our rightful rights!! so you r saying we should have jus accepted that women should stay at home, not go school, not vote, be their husband punchbag....crap?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 5:12am On Dec 15, 2005
damygurl:

if they r not weak and powerless so what are they? Because i don't get what your view on women are anymore! you're sorta contradicting your self! if they got power why can't they aim high?
so r u saying we are only good for making decision but are not good for getting the job done?
it went on very smooothly because women then accepted it as their fate but things change people got smarter. it went on smoothly before because we didn't go for our rightful rights!! so you r saying we should have jus accepted that women should stay at home, not go school, not vote, be their husband punchbag.crap?

@ damy

Now you are getting all sentimental about this...women's through power lie in them being the back bone of thier husbands. Now you get it. don't let sentiments make your thoughts on my comments sound harsh.
As I said earlier women at the top of those political offices and all that get there and are there always at 1 expense(wateva it is, i tell u for a fact) don't ask me for instances start your research from today.
Yeh, people got smarter...we have email, and all that but all still at an expense...now we feel e know so we can do anything and it's ok. I never said a woman shouldn't be educated (you see those sentiments are working you)
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 5:20am On Dec 15, 2005
crap! when i say crap it's not a cuss word so could u put dat sentimental thingy aside and try to answer d question cuz u didn't. u just slicked ur way around it!!!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 5:28am On Dec 15, 2005
they are simply women and back bones (that's were their true power is)

having power is not all about aiming high it's about knowing how, when and where to use it. (eg politicians who abuse power aim high)

no i'm saying they are as good as they want to be but can be better if they concentrate on the proper "job".

i hope i've "slicked through" it this time
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 5:42am On Dec 15, 2005
name 10 female politicians who have been accused of abusing power? now could u plz make anoter list of 10 male politicians that have been known to abuse power? wat can u conclude from this?

good as can be? how u know dat? when i say people got smarter i'm not talking technology i'm talking their view of things. they think in a more wide range than b4!!!!!
boi u sure don't get do u? wa ya mean proper jobs? setling for been the secretary to a guy when i got more college degree dan him. Not me! I hope to have my own institution when the time comes and may God help me with it!! what i can conclude from what u've said is that we shouldn't question things and just go with the way things are. Sorry but My mama didn't give birth to no dumbo!! I'm speaking for me now when i say if i know i can make a very good president notin is stopping from running!!! all u need in politics is ur brain and God sure blessed me with it!!!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by nferyn(m): 10:13am On Dec 15, 2005
@ Swish
You still haven't come up with anything even remotely resembling an argument.
Try to address the why of your beliefs. there is no solid ground for any of them.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 11:33am On Dec 15, 2005
ok let,s say thats i believe in hhow got made it in the beginning

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

From This List, What's The One Chore You Absolutely Hate To Do? / Jonathan Under Pressure To Order Tinubu’s Arrest - The Nation Newspapers. / Madness In Nigeria! Lot Of Pple In A Pool.(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.