Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,716 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") (9308 Views)

Why Do Men Always Wake Up Like This In The Morning? / Why Are Nigerian Men Always Jealous Of Successful Nigerian Women? / Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by nferyn(m): 11:37am On Dec 15, 2005
Swish:

ok let,s say thats i believe in hhow got made it in the beginning

Then you also believe in genocide, cruelty, human sacrifice, ...
Why pick out this?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 2:21am On Dec 16, 2005
Swish:

ok let,s say thats i believe in hhow got made it in the beginning

See, i get where you're comming from but the way God made it in the beginning is not always the right way even though you assume it is.
I personally believe that if you follow it through logically, those things stated in the bible are just normal or common and usual conditions in the past. for example polygamy, slavery, incest, racism, sexism and as nferyn pointed out : genocide, cruelty, human sacrifice.  . these things very morally wrong but those who wrote the bible existed in those days when people didn't know all these bad things we know now are wrong.
The "new testament" a more modern version compared to the oldfashioned "old testament" ruled out violence and some other wrong practices that the old testament was ignorant of.
but still, the new testament isn't as modern as the world we live in today where sexism is a wrong thing.
something i pointed out in another thread (a quote) that relates to this:

"it's been deep rooted in our religion,culture, society and whatever since like forever.
                for example: Eve, jazabel e.t.c women are seen as unclean things. . . 
                 they aren't even allowed even in the bible preach or do stuff. . .
                 women are portrayed in the bible as devlish, sly and what not.

Gen 3:16 :Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception;
                                     in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children..."

childgiving ability for women is supposed to be portrayed as blessing and power
                but in the bible it's a punishment and something that's supposed to come with sorrow  undecided"

in other words: the bible is just as sexist as you are. . . there's this idea of male supremacy. . even in the bible (i can provide you quotes if you want more)!!
and you say you want it to remain that way? undecided

Swish:

2. Why should it be about women representing themselves, why complex yourselves...

I don't think women are "complexing" themselves by representing themselves.
women are different from men in more ways than you probably know and we know what's right for us and what we want instead of let the men decide what we get and how we get it. . .

something that represents is: "An image or likeness of something." women will therefore need the representation of women  in some areas even in political welfare that men wouldn't be able provide.

life went on very well as it was before one person (whoever it was started this whole feminist movement crap).
Yes, a woman can surely vote.

your two statements are contradictions of each other because it was the same group of women (some feminists) that fought for the right to vote for women.
it didn't use to be a "natural" thing for women to vote then. but thanks to these feminists, i can vote when i turn 18 just like men!!!  cheesy

sorry to digress but..
it also didn't use to be natural for women to be teachers, doctors, factory workers at specific points in history. but things change gradually as men came to realize and give women more rights.women fought for themselves too. .

they are simply women and back bones (that's were their true power is)
you're kind of saying women have a secondary role in society while men have the primary role.
that's how you view women? as just simple beings?
makes me feel very good about beign a woman thank you!  rolleyes

see, in my opinion, depending on your definition for "back bone" which i suppose means "supporters and dependents of men". I think you're WRONG!!
There are women like Rosalind Franklin and tons of others who i don't think played they "supporters and dependents of men" role. 
are you denouncing them??

or you'll resign your job too if your boss turned out to be female?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 3:06am On Dec 16, 2005
WesleyanA:

Gen 3:16 :Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception;
in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children..."

childgiving ability for women is supposed to be portrayed as blessing and power
but in the bible it's a punishment and something that's supposed to come with sorrow undecided"

in other words: the bible is just as sexist as you are. . . there's this idea of male supremacy. . even in the bible (i can provide you quotes if you want more)!!
and you say you want it to remain that way? undecided

i don't believe the bible is sexist! we have people who are sexist in it , that i agree with but the bible as a whole is based on something more than racism, sexism and all the other stuff. we do have some women in it who did great things and were respected by the men. Deborah is an example. Eve and Adam were cursed by God due to there disobedience and it was the woman who made the guy fall into temptation though the guy should have been strong enough to resist it but o well! if they had not gone against God everything would have been better. I think originally women were not supposed to experience any pain during labor but after disobeying God reversed it.

Swish u r slicking your way out of the question and i can't even find a solid point you have made. you have to be able to back up your statement
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Seun(m): 3:20am On Dec 16, 2005
I think originally women were not supposed to experience any pain during labor but after disobeying God reversed it.
Is it really fair/sensible for God to afflict all women with pain in childbirth because of the sin of one woman?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 3:24am On Dec 16, 2005
He has his reasons.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 11:43pm On Dec 16, 2005
yeh...i know times have changed but i still believe there's a whole lot of things women shouldn't delve into...it was when the woman tried to control things by giving adam dat fruit that the whole prob began...you ladies end up losing one thing or the other at the end...is either you become independent from your husband(divorced or separated) becaues you feel he's been too bossy and not allowing you to express yourself totally...or one thing sha sha...and again please don't believe too much in "LOGIC"...i can lead you astray atimes(too much belief in self)
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by nferyn(m): 11:51pm On Dec 16, 2005
Swish:

yeh...i know times have changed but i still believe there's a whole lot of things women shouldn't delve into...it was when the woman tried to control things by giving adam that fruit that the whole prob began...you ladies end up losing one thing or the other at the end...is either you become independent from your husband(divorced or separated) becaues you feel he's been too bossy and not allowing you to express yourself totally...or one thing sha sha...and again please don't believe too much in "LOGIC"...i can lead you astray atimes(too much belief in self)

Well, you certainly shouldn't indulge yourself into a belief in Logic. You do not seem to be one of the most gifted people in it's use. Better to leave that to others who are naturally more inclined to do so.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 12:07am On Dec 17, 2005
Swish:

yeh...i know times have changed but i still believe there's a whole lot of things women shouldn't delve into...it was when the woman tried to control things by giving adam that fruit that the whole prob began...

what problem?

the authors of the bible were significantly influenced by their society then. that's why their condition is reflected in the book.
If you see women being portrayed as sly, and whatever, it's because that's how society was then. women were mistreated.
so you can't use that to judge what the conditions will be today.
for example: many churches (except for the conservative ones such as the Catholic Church) allow women to lead services and what not contrary to the bible's rule of not allowing women in "holy places".

saying women can't hold office because the bible says so really don't make sense.

is either you become independent from your husband(divorced or separated) becaues you feel he's been too bossy and not allowing you to express yourself totally...or one thing sha sha

not necessarily. there are many husbands intelligent enough to respect their wives choices. maybe except the husband is a man that have your kind of thinking that women have no place in society. But i wouldn't know why any woman would marry a sort of man like that in the first place. maybe if she wants to be treated like a slave then okay.

how would you think a female politician would see her husband is "too bossy." do you have a better reason (and support it) why a politician would divorce her husband?

why would any woman marry bossy husband in the first place?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 12:36am On Dec 17, 2005
nferyn:

Well, you certainly shouldn't indulge yourself into a belief in Logic. You do not seem to be one of the most gifted people in it's use. Better to leave that to others who are naturally more inclined to do so.
Well, u see my friend, for LOGICAL doesn't always mean right

@wes...u know there's this apprentince working with my mechanic, the apprentince is good and has skill but u see he's nowadays i reluctant to do things his "oga" tells him to do "go jack that car". He grumbles because he feels he has passed the level of jacking car(he told me this later..one on one)...he is in his 2nd year of apprentiship. What do you have to say about
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 1:16am On Dec 17, 2005
Swish:

@wes...u know there's this apprentince working with my mechanic, the apprentince is good and has skill but u see he's nowadays i reluctant to do things his "oga" tells him to do "go jack that car". He grumbles because he feels he has passed the level of jacking car(he told me this later..one on one)...he is in his 2nd year of apprentiship. What do you have to say about

Well, you say he's good and has skills. How old is he? see in Nigeria. there are many people living in poverty despite their skill and talent and feel frustrated wanting to move up. maybe that's what the apprentice is expressing. although i feel sympathy for him (as i do many women tied down in society).
you say he's in his second year? how many more years does he have left? maybe he doesn't even like the job. maybe it's boring to him but he needs to do it to survive. he doesn't have a choice.

what i'll probably do if i were you is sit him down and talk to him about things. . . make him understand that time will fly by and he will no longer be a 2nd year apprentice. If he does his work with enthusiasm and obeys his master (i hope you're not trying to infer that men are masters over women) soon, he'll be a master of his own and would be in a position to train other appretices.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Seun(m): 1:38am On Dec 17, 2005
What a conversation! Keep it up, we're enjoying you. I'm on the side of WesleyanA, damygurl and nferyn here!
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Swish(m): 1:42am On Dec 17, 2005
Sell Out...hehehehehehe wink @ seun grin
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by mide2(f): 1:45am On Dec 17, 2005
If he does his work with enthusiasm and obeys his master (i hope you're not trying to infer that men are masters over women) soon, he'll be a master of his own and would be in a position to train other appretices.

Crook on gurl.......i like that esp the part thats says '' He'll be a master of his own''  No one is destined to be an apprentice forever and also no human gender is destined to be domineering or dominated on.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 4:59am On Dec 17, 2005
Swish:

yeh...i know times have changed but i still believe there's a whole lot of things women shouldn't delve into...it was when the woman tried to control things by giving adam that fruit that the whole prob began...you ladies end up losing one thing or the other at the end...is either you become independent from your husband(divorced or separated) becaues you feel he's been too bossy and not allowing you to express yourself totally...or one thing sha sha...and again please don't believe too much in "LOGIC"...i can lead you astray atimes(too much belief in self)
Eve wasn't controlling d guy! did she force him to take it? he was just weak and submitted to tempation. if we don't believe in our self wat else should we believe in? women don't normally divorce guyz 4 been too bossy though dats a huge part of the problem. how would u take to been ordered around. Marriage is a partnership but some guyz turn it into a master and slave thingy. they gotta control d lady. Umm actually most of d ladies who divorce the scumbag they marry r happy to get out of d marriage and don't consider it a loss.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by nferyn(m): 9:23am On Dec 17, 2005
Swish:

Well, u see my friend, for LOGICAL doesn't always mean right
No, but in this case it certainly is. There is no ground for your position
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Seun(m): 8:17pm On Dec 17, 2005
Swish, I sense great potential in you. Leave the dark side! Embrace the future; embrace the modern women and their need for an illusion of equality and freedom! cheesy
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by nferyn(m): 8:31pm On Dec 17, 2005
Seun:

[SNIP] illusion of euqality and freedom! cheesy
Is that some horse-like quality?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 4:16am On Dec 18, 2005
Seun:

embrace the modern women and their need for an illusion of euqality and freedom! cheesy

"illusion of equality and freedom"  and "equality and freedom" are two different things. . .
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by damygurl(f): 6:40am On Dec 18, 2005
Seun:

Swish, I sense great potential in you. Leave the dark side! Embrace the future; embrace the modern women and their need for an illusion of euqality and freedom! cheesy
did i hear somebody say illusion? are u saying dat it's just a figment of our imagination? so u saying those women who spend there time fighting for equal rights are just delusioned?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by IAH(f): 2:32pm On Dec 18, 2005
Seun:

Swish, I sense great potential in you. Leave the dark side! Embrace the future; embrace the modern women and their need for an illusion of euqality and freedom! cheesy

I thought this chap was really on our side until now. So he has been giving us an illusion of his support.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by sage(m): 7:51pm On Dec 18, 2005
Regarding Gender equality, i doubt if there will ever be anything like that, maybe empowerment, but not equality.

A guy once used this expression on national tv and if u look at it, there are elements of truth in it. Women will FOREVER be primarily sexual objects and thats the way it is going to alwayz be. Y because the dominant gender sees them and will alwayz see them that way.

Unfortunate though.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 4:53am On Dec 19, 2005
sage:

Regarding Gender equality, i doubt if there will ever be anything like that, maybe empowerment, but not equality.

A guy once used this expression on national tv and if u look at it, there are elements of truth in it. Women will FOREVER be primarily sexual objects and thats the way it is going to alwayz be. Y because the dominant gender sees them and will alwayz see them that way.
Unfortunate though.

are you just trying to get attention? or you're just being ignorant?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by nicetohave(m): 5:34am On Dec 19, 2005
@sage, im sorry to say this but i think you have just said nothing.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by sage(m): 2:33am On Dec 20, 2005
WesleyanA:

are you just trying to get attention? or you're just being ignorant?

@ WesleyanA did u not read the later parts of my post. I said it is unfortunate women are seen in that light. When you get older, you would understand what i mean the more. You have been born into a Man's world, and although i dont go by that school of thought, the society u live in defines the role of a woman,and in most places around the world, there are things men are allowed to do women are not. These are not my personal thoughts. As u grow older, u will get to experience a few things. I dont think any man thinks that women are mentally of intellectually more limited than men, but the truth is that those facts not withstanding, the primary attributes men put to women are mainly of a sexual nature.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 2:38am On Dec 20, 2005
sage:

@ WesleyanA did u not read the later parts of my post. I said it is unfortunate women are seen in that light. When you get older, you would understand what i mean the more. You have been born into a Man's world, and although i don't go by that school of thought, the society u live in defines the role of a woman,and in most places around the world, there are things men are allowed to do women are not. These are not my personal thoughts. As u grow older, u will get to experience a few things. I don't think any man thinks that women are mentally of intellectually more limited than men, but the truth is that those facts not withstanding, the primary attributes men put to women are mainly of a sexual nature.

i'm sorry embarassed.. . now i get you.

And i do agree with you but i think it'll change one day. I hope.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jan 02, 2006
i wonder why women are accused of being responsable of the men weakness.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 12:29am On Jan 03, 2006
michelin89:

i wonder why women are accused of being responsable of the men weakness.

i know right?
Just like Eve was blamed for Adam's fall (i almost swear some misogynist made that story up). rolleyes
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by mide2(f): 12:59am On Jan 03, 2006
WesleyanA:

i know right?
Just like Eve was blamed for Adam's fall (i almost swear some misogynist made that story up). rolleyes
shocked rolleyes are u saying the bible is composed of some made up stories. hmmmmm
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 1:04am On Jan 03, 2006
I was being sarcastic.
but you can never know.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by nicetohave(m): 1:06am On Jan 03, 2006
never know who to blame for men's weakness or never know who wrote the bible?
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by WesleyanA(f): 1:09am On Jan 03, 2006
women are not to blame for men's weakness cool
one man didn't write the Bible. It was written by MANY men.
Re: Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") by mide2(f): 1:11am On Jan 03, 2006
WesleyanA:

I was being sarcastic.
but you can never know.

baby, i know....wanted to catch some fun as well. But i bet this male chauvinism will sure be a long forgotten story someday. It sucks !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tell Us About Your Scariest Experience / Jonathan Under Pressure To Order Tinubu’s Arrest - The Nation Newspapers. / Nigeria Peace Corps Bill Scaled Through Second Reading.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.