Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States (24108 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Deplorable State Of The Nigerian Embassy In Malaysia (see Photos) / Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by vokalguy(m): 4:34pm On Mar 09, 2013
I was on the phone with a friend of mine yesterday who was telling me about her experience at the Embassy of the FRN in Washington D.C. Here are the issues currently facing this embassy.

1.Unprofessional: Imagine a situation where you call the embassy for information, the attendant at the front desk puts you on hold and the next thing you hear in the background is the incompetent guy yelling across the hallway in DELETED. Or better yet imagine another scenario where they mistakenly give an original copy of your birth certificate to someone else. Yes that happened!

2.Favoritism: Yes we are known for this! I mean hey it’s everywhere right? Its either you know someone who has the authority to make things happen or your money is doing the talking. Well here is how it works at the embassy; favoritism is the reason why MOST of the workers there got the job, to be honest they are not fit to work there! And oh yea I have actually seen people work in there to get their passports without scheduling an appointment.

3.Extortion: Was it not last year that the embassy had their assets frozen by the FBI? Can anyone tell me if someone in Abuja investigated the reason why the FBI decided to do that? How can someone withdraw $50,000 in hard cash? These are questions that will probably never be answered. So here is what really grinds my gears; when you apply for a passport online and pay the so-called ‘processing fee’, on the day of your appointment, they ask you for $35 money order. There is nowhere on the application site that mentioned the fact that you still need to show up at the embassy with money order. So basically that is a money making scam by someone at the embassy. Oh yea good luck questioning them why they are asking for money order.

4.Technology: It is a shame we can afford to pay JayZ and his wife $1 million to come to Nigeria but the technological resources at the embassy is a complete joke! Its 2013 and my beloved embassy still uses pen and paper to enter applicants information. In a situation where you complete an application online and you have a confirmation number, you are suppose to walk into the embassy with your confirmation number and identification and they should be able to pull up your application but alas! it does not work like that, they do not have a database, oh am sorry their database is a NOTEBOOK!!

So the question I am asking is who do we blame for this shenanigan? We are the ‘giant of Africa’; our embassy should be filled with people who are WELL QUALIFIED to do the job, not with people who got the job because their mother is a friend of the big boss. Everybody should be treated equally irrespective of what your status is. My suggestion will be to close the embassy down for a few months, weed out the incompetent workers, hire dedicated workers, and hire an accountant! (That embassy is making money but it is going to the wrong pockets), upgrade the technology in there and reopen it.

18 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by julioralph(m): 4:42pm On Mar 09, 2013
Hmm. Na wa O.
Mr Jona should look into this quickly.
@ least our embassy for America suppose get some swag!

2 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Nobody: 8:44pm On Mar 09, 2013
ooohhh Nigeria.
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 09, 2013
It happens back home, so no surprise! Corruption has chopped into every sector of the country..

1 Like

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Onyenna(m): 8:48pm On Mar 09, 2013
Damn!!! So appalling!!.... If our embassy in the US is like that, then imagine how others would be.... Jeez!
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by deniyor: 8:49pm On Mar 09, 2013
It's the same in most Nigerian embassies round the world. Quite a shame.

1 Like

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by bright007(f): 8:49pm On Mar 09, 2013
Some peeps will blame GEJ for this!

2 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by DAvIt0(m): 8:51pm On Mar 09, 2013
O_o cant believe this.... Wow!!! We're still far behind....
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by kay2000(m): 8:51pm On Mar 09, 2013
So pathetic. Nigeria can never get there. Corruption has ruined this nation.

3 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by RedLight1: 8:51pm On Mar 09, 2013
Onyenna: Damn!!! So appalling!!.... If our embassy in the US is like that, then imagine how others would be.... Jeez!
its worse than that
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by metti(m): 8:52pm On Mar 09, 2013
tongue :PWhat is happening there is the reflection of Nigeria as a society.
The way we live our lives at home has been taken abroad. What a shame!

10 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by strangest(m): 8:53pm On Mar 09, 2013
"So the question I am asking is who do we blame for this shenanigan?"

if you ask me, who I go ask??

This is something you see not only in the US embassy but also in other Federal government offices.. It is not a yorouba thing neither is it an Igbo issue. imagine paid graduates standing in front of Immigration Offices looking for who they will SCAM above the normal fee meant for issuance of passport. The other day, a lady at the Power House office wanted me to bribe her so that she will speed up the process when I came to pay my bills. At the post office, a lady there is always eating when attending to clients... We need to start with our selves.. think of what you can do for your country... If I do my job right and you do yours right then we are moving forward

5 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by BUSHMAN1: 8:54pm On Mar 09, 2013
same here in london,infact i am embarrased to call myself a nigerian some times,even the british embassy treat me with more respect than my own country embassy, infact why dont we sell this mess of a country called nigeria to the chinese and we all share the money and every body go their way with their share

25 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Nobody: 8:55pm On Mar 09, 2013
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Kuljoe(m): 8:57pm On Mar 09, 2013
2bad 4 jona and his entourage.
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Osama10(m): 8:58pm On Mar 09, 2013
It's a pity,we are finished in this country.

Nothing works.
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Rastamann: 9:01pm On Mar 09, 2013
Technology: It is a shame we can afford to pay JayZ and his wife $1 million to come to Nigeria but the technological resources at the embassy is a complete joke! Its 2013 and my beloved embassy still uses pen and paper to enter applicants information. In a situation where you complete an application online and you have a confirmation number, you are suppose to walk into the embassy with your confirmation number and identification and they should be able to pull up your application but alas! it does not work like that, they do not have a database, oh am sorry their database is a NOTEBOOK!!

Is a notebook not a good technology? At least a laptop notebook is an improvement OR is that not what they have?

This problem did not start today. Many times you even pay a higher price than you will pay in Nigeria to get your passport renewed or replaced. In fact, you will be lucky if all your documents are not given to another person. All Nigerian Embassies are all inefficient. They do not care about the well-being of Nigerians abroad and that is one of the reasons most countries treat Nigerians as shit without any opposition from the Nigerian government or its agents abroad.

I keep wondering for how long we gonna continue with this trend in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Nobody: 9:05pm On Mar 09, 2013
Funny enough i heard the Nigerian embassy in New York do work on generator set.Everybody knows there is uninterrupted power supply in the city of New York.I also heard the money allocated for diesel is alarming.Also as big as the place is majority of the offices are on lease to other people without the money properly remitted back home instead those at the top of affairs at the embassy in connivance with the heads of Ministry of Foreign Affairs share the proceeds still yet they can't computerise their office.A visit to the place will so stun you when you see the large number of people that have flown from various parts of the country just to seek one official document and at the end keep spending money for hotel bills because of the come today come tomorrow phenomenom of the embassy.Don't know if we Nigerians in the US should even act like the Nigerians in Senegal perhaps with that those in authority in Aso rock will rise against this issue and give it a final solution

1 Like

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by leslieu63(m): 9:06pm On Mar 09, 2013
BUSH MAN: same here in london,infact i am embarrased to call myself a nigerian some times,even the british embassy treat me with more respect than my own country embassy, infact why dont we sell this mess of a country called nigeria to the chinese and we all share the money and every body go their way with their share
how much am interested

1 Like

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by BUSHMAN1: 9:14pm On Mar 09, 2013
strangest: "So the question I am asking is who do we blame for this shenanigan?"

if you ask me, who I go ask??

This is something you see not only in the US embassy but also in other Federal government offices.. It is not a yorouba thing neither is it an Igbo issue. imagine paid graduates standing in front of Immigration Offices looking for who they will SCAM above the normal fee meant for issuance of passport. The other day, a lady at the Power House office wanted me to bribe her so that she will speed up the process when I came to pay my bills. At the post office, a lady there is always eating when attending to clients... We need to start with our selves.. think of what you can do for your country... If I do my job right and you do yours right then we are moving forward
its too late now nigerians now and the next two generations are corrupt to the bone even an unborn baby is corrupt in nigeria
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by obi123: 9:16pm On Mar 09, 2013
the level of service at the UK naija embassy is diabolical , just forget u are in the UK when you get there.if its not that their debit card machine is not working so you need to go get postal order ,its that you have to stand for hours on end because they don't have an appointment system so its always so crowded and not enough seats.
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by BUSHMAN1: 9:17pm On Mar 09, 2013
leslieu63: how much am interested
grin grin grin grin its obvious nigeria is not worth anything in dignity,so make me an offer

2 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Krucifax(m): 9:20pm On Mar 09, 2013
It’s something Nigerians should really hang their heads in shame about. @ OP it’s even worse here in London at the Nigerian High Commission at Embankment!.The only words to describe it is “Market Place”. Come and see chaos! What you’ll hear is;

“Mr Man why are you jumping queue?”

“Mr Man do you know who i am?”

“I know you are closed and the sign said closed but please help me now!!!”

“Ogbeni she Yoruba ni?”

“Nna biko nyem aka”

“Bros help your brother now”

Gra gra gra, disorderliness of the highest order! You’ll need paracetamol after every visit to that place. Anybody who lives in the U.K and has been there can bear me witness!!

9 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Nobody: 9:20pm On Mar 09, 2013
BUSH MAN: same here in london,infact i am embarrased to call myself a nigerian some times,even the british embassy treat me with more respect than my own country embassy, infact why dont we sell this mess of a country called nigeria to the chinese and we all share the money and every body go their way with their share

They don't even have customer service training for them so some of them don't even know what the expectation is on customer service. It's very sad indeed.

But embassy abi ambassador means u are representing your country so why do we expect Nigeria to behave differently in America.
The above are problems faced in Nigeria everyday so if we need improvement in Nigerian embassy in America, we have to Fix Nigeria first.

5 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Gabrielsylar(m): 9:20pm On Mar 09, 2013
I blame idiagbon
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by Godogwu: 9:21pm On Mar 09, 2013
BUSH MAN: its too late now nigerians now and the next two generations are corrupt to the bone even an unborn baby is corrupt in nigeria

LOOOL!! K bro ............ K
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by mbhs139(m): 9:21pm On Mar 09, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

and where are we going to spend the share?
Re: The State Of The Nigerian Embassy In The United States by phoneport(m): 9:24pm On Mar 09, 2013
Here you are still talking of the shamble Embassy , when GEJ still TROW Short Put in ASO Rock Latrine.

A mad man can be cured,
But a fool will always remain a fool,
And Nigeria Is A Fool!!!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Car Got Completely Burnt At Obalende R/about Lagos Nigeria / Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB / Pole Stops Trailer From Crashing Into A Woman’s Shop In Delta State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.