Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,933 members, 7,952,762 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:29 PM

North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate (14052 Views)

Vice Presidential Debate Has Started. LIVE UPDATES / Gov. Godswill Akpabio Of Akwa Ibom Campaigning For Vice President / Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Nobody: 6:26am On Mar 10, 2013
Prominent Northern politicians have launched a search for a vice-presidential candidate to be the running mate of the region’s consensus candidate during the 2015 presidential election.

Sources privy to the plan told SUNDAY PUNCH on Friday that the yet-to-be chosen consensus candidate and his running mate would contest on the platform of the All Progressives Congress.

SUNDAY PUNCH’s investigations showed that power brokers from the North had already penciled in the Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola; his Edo State counterpart, Mr. Adams Oshiomhole; and Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State.

A highly-placed source in the APC, which is expected to be the main challenger of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party in 2015, confirmed that the three governors were on the list of candidates but they had not been approached.

The source who pleaded anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the matter, said the ideal vice-presidential candidate must be a “young progressive.”

“It is true we are looking for a suitable vice-presidential candidate from the South, particularly the South–West, because unless something dramatic happens, our flag bearer is coming from the North.

“The overwhelming thinking among members of the coalition is to have a young progressive, preferably one that has a track record of performance, for the post.

“As for the presidential candidate, everything being equal, we should know who the candidate is soon.

“For now, we have not yet agreed on who it should be but I can tell you Fashola is one of them, however, we cannot take a final decision on this until we are able to get leaders of his primary constituency to agree.”

The source also said, as part of its back-up plan, the governors of Edo and Imo States were also among those being considered outside of the South- West.

The Convener of the Concerned Northern Politicians, Academics, Professionals and Businessmen, Dr. Junaid Mohammed, on Friday evening, also confirmed that the North was seeking a vice-presidential candidate in the South.

He said, “In the event of the presidency returning to the North, the issue will be who will deliver the votes from the South for the prospective candidate from the North.

“As I see it, the only person I see who can do it is from the South-West even though the South-West has its own challenges. Challenge number one will be to bring out a candidate from the Christian North who will now peer up with a likely candidate who will be from the South-West. Fortunately or unfortunately, the South-West is not terribly obsessed with matters of religion.”

Speaking through one of his aides, Okorocha on Friday said the 2015 election was not on his mind.

“The issue of 2015 presidency is not on my agenda now,” he said.

Okorocha, who spoke to SUNDAY PUNCH, through his Special Assistant on Media, Mr. Ebere Uzoukwa, said he was committed to building a strong national party with the capacity to address the leadership problems facing the country.

Uzoukwa said, “He already has a burden of justifying the mandate freely given to him by Imo people, by ensuring that they enjoy the dividend of democracy under his administration.

“Gov. Okorocha has always maintained that politics remains a process of assuming power and hence that is done, it should be discarded for development to take place.

“Even the dirty politics being played by the bad losers and enemies of democracy in Imo State and Abuja will not deter him from delivering good governance to the people through his well-thought-out programmes.”

Fashola through his Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Lateef Ibirogba, also refused to confirm that the governor was being considered for vice-president in 2015.

“Governor Babatunde Fashola has a four-year mandate and he has done only two. He should be allowed to focus on that instead of us to start talking about the vice-presidential slot. He has a lot of things to do for the people who elected him. He must not be distracted so that he can deliver what he promised.’’

Also, the Chief Press Secretary to Oshiomhole, Peter Okhiria, said he was not aware of the development. ‘‘I do not know anything about that. I am not aware,” he said.

Similarly, the National Publicity Secretary of the Congress for Progressive Change, Mr. Rotimi Fashakin, was hesitant to confirm the North’s search for a vice-presidential candidate.

He said the APC would cross the “bridge” of candidacy when it got there.

“When we get to that bridge, we will cross it, just like we have crossed all other bridges that the ruling PDP has told us that we will not cross. We will cross the bridge of the presidential and vice-presidential candidate when we get there.

“Let us not be in a hurry to do this, so that we don’t play into the hands of our adversaries; those who are really disappointed that we have succeeded thus far in our merger arrangement,” Fashakin said.

The CPC is one of the parties that have merged to form the APC. Others are the Action Congress of Nigeria, All Nigeria Peoples Party and a faction of the All Progressive Grand Alliance.

http://www.punchng.com/news/2015-north-shops-for-vp-candidate/
Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Nobody: 6:36am On Mar 10, 2013
sw people are not aggressive about religion but nigerians will not vote for muslim-muslim ticket because north cannot vote for christian-christian ticket.if north wants progress of the nation let them support a christian from north then BRF can be a running mate.

13 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by austinsmat(m): 8:09am On Mar 10, 2013
Laalamed: sw people are not aggressive about religion but nigerians will not vote for muslim-muslim ticket because north cannot vote for christian-christian ticket.if north wants progress of the nation let them support a christian from north then BRF can be a running mate.
must north produce president why not fashola be president north vice it seem truly s.w is a political slave to north

12 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by takedat(m): 8:20am On Mar 10, 2013
Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by OsunOriginal: 8:54am On Mar 10, 2013
What is all these shout about xtian this xtian that? Why are xtians this bigoted and always concerned about the religion of the leader? If the muslims also come out to insist on a muslim leader, what will happen? The Boko Haram situation we are now presently facing in the north.

Xtians should focus more on their religion rather than politics here and there.

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by PointB: 9:05am On Mar 10, 2013
OsunOriginal: What is all these shout about xtian this xtian that? Why are xtians this bigoted and always concerned about the religion of the leader? If the muslims also come out to insist on a muslim leader, what will happen? The Boko Haram situation we are now presently facing in the north.

Christianity does not equate to stupidity. Good Christians should be actively involved in politics; and should also understand that best way to guarantee their way of life and religion is by ensuring that balanced religious mix at top level of government. So yes, it is important as Christians to say NO TO MUSLIM/MUSLIM TICKET.

16 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Raxz(m): 9:11am On Mar 10, 2013
From the look of things if APC is ready to win power come 2015 they have just two options, one bring in a Christian presidential candidate from the north. or, two bring in presidential candidate from the S.E. Weather we like it or not northern Christian will not vote for any Muslim candidate from the region as against GEJ from the SS. And likewise the same apply to SS, SE, SW and NC nomatter how ppl think GEJ is been hate, Christians from this regions will preferred him to any Muslim candidate come 2015 even Christians in the cor-north will rather vote GEJ than for them to vote a Muslim candidate from the north which their believe hate they with passion. from the way religion has divide the country, this are the APC chances of winning any state from the SS, SE most likely some state in SW and NC. If not the only regions APC will have advantage ovena GEJ is NE and NW with 100% vote, bt remember PDP understand the game well, so they may likely drop sambo as VP and look for strong VP candidate form the NE or NW who can influence voters from that region.

10 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by almustapha007: 9:27am On Mar 10, 2013
OsunOriginal: What is all these shout about xtian this xtian that? Why are xtians this bigoted and always concerned about the religion of the leader? If the muslims also come out to insist on a muslim leader, what will happen? The Boko Haram situation we are now presently facing in the north.

Good. Religion shouldnt be a criteria.

You need to also preach this @ ur local mosque.

Are u aware some people asked Namadi Sambo not 2 accept d VP post cos his deputy who wasnt a muslim will become d governor.

We allow religion and tribe to cloud our senses dt is y we arent moving forward.

All d people in government profess 2 b muslims or christians & are known by d imams or pastors yet they loot d nations treasury.

That is stealing & it's haram. if they dont pay 4 dis in dis world, they will definitely pay 4 it in d hereafter inA.

8 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Ejine(m): 9:34am On Mar 10, 2013
Must North produce a president?

This team will fail.

5 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Raxz(m): 9:43am On Mar 10, 2013

that is wht Christians were doing and the Muslim think Christians are not political incline. Christian understand separation of faith from politics bt Islam will tell u the two have to go together. So if Christian keep avoiding their role in politics, Muslim may feel that Christians are political blind. So Christians hv to show that they too understand wht Muslim think their are the only one who understand that.

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by OmoTier1(m): 9:56am On Mar 10, 2013
Wining ticket : Buhari and Oshiomhole, Fashola for Senate President. Rochester needs to remain in IMO State for another 6years minimum and turn IMO State into the pride of South East before He can take shot at the Presidency.

Right now we need a team that can crush corruption, restore security and pursue aggressive development. I really do not care where the individuals are from but never again should Nigeria end up with a mediocre as a president!

If Buhari decides not the run, then Oshiomhole would be my first choice for the Presidency and I would Fashola for me should be Senate President. It is so sad for the first time for so long as I can remember, I can't think of any South Easterner who really possess the accuse to be a Vice President nor President. Look at Ayim, even as the SFG, there is nothing one can speak well of about his reign.

ENOUGH OF EMERGENCY PRESIDENT.... NIGERIA NEEDS A PRESIDENT OF NECESSITY....

12 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by thelastPope(m): 10:14am On Mar 10, 2013
Isn't it so shameful to hear that in 2013, 53 years after independence, a set of idiotas up north are sitting down to look for a vice presidential candidate having concluded that they will produce the president and some other set of idiotas down south are actually waiting to be chosen to do the yes-man hatchet job. Some people don't even have any sense of pride. How repugnant is this? Pitiful slave mentality! What in the world makes the lousy foools think it is their right to produce the president? If Oshiomole ever accept such crap, he will loose my respect! Why can't he be the president himself?

Anyway, let them continue to gather. "Their gathering is not of me saith the Lord". For over forty years, these foools plundered and wasted us. They stole from us and sodomized our societies. If they think we are ready to go back there after seeing the light, the joke is on them.

On the side, no vice presidential candidate has ever succeeded his boss in Nigeria apart from GEJ! And GEJ succeeded because of his bosses death. Not even in the military dispensation did it happen.

15 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by samtheman: 10:24am On Mar 10, 2013
[b][/b][color=#990000][/color][size=8pt][/size]my opinion, no bi say fight! I think APC should Shop and beg T.Y Danjuma to be there presidential candidate a christian 4rom the north while Fashola should vice him shikenan!

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by AWKAMADEGUN: 10:52am On Mar 10, 2013
Hahahhahahahha dey laugh in Anambra..

Now picture is coming out clearer everyday. This guys will roast roches like a chicken sooner than later. He ran to OPC APC the Yoruba and boko haram party thinking that they will give him at worst VP now they are not even considering him for any post whatsoever, they are advicing him to remain in his imo state to return the state to boko haram. grin grin grin grin

The chicken is quietly coming home to roast. Tinubu and Buhari just wanted to use him for their selfish ends, still the mugu could not read the hand writing on the wall. By the time the chips are down, roches will be a homeless and an outcast.. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Nobody: 10:55am On Mar 10, 2013

you're definitely a Muslim because your post is biased. Hope you change so Nigeria can be better.

7 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by gerald09(m): 11:10am On Mar 10, 2013
U c, when d rest of Nigeria ® trying to create job, improve education, entertainment, sports, industries. The North is jt plotting to blow up somewhere or plotting election plans. n dey wonder y Nigerian ® sceptical to allow them rule.

2 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by chidi500(m): 11:12am On Mar 10, 2013
DO YOU NEED WEBSITE FOR YOUR BUSINESS?VISIT http://hostlinker.com/wesitedesign.php
Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by vambi: 11:18am On Mar 10, 2013
APC is 100% nothern machinery so if anyone want to be fooled pls go ahead.Clueless GEJ is far better than anything APC will or can offer.

2 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 10, 2013
Who says power should return to the North. Smh! Abeg o, for the sake of equity, power should remain in the south cos we've got more credible people here. Oshiomole, BRF etc are tested and trusted candidates. IMO, Rochas should stay put in Imo state to stabilise and develop the polity. All these Northerners looking for VP candidates can consider the position for themselves. Na wa o, is it by force to rule.
Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by kaeto(m): 11:22am On Mar 10, 2013
Politicks is not by big grammer, as gbawe, dayokanu, bluetooth are always apt to garnish and churn out sweet rhymes, get some 'likes' and climax. Check up my previous posts and my prediction about mr fashola, also take note of what may sound yet again stupid to many nairalanders. Here I go, it will be very difficult, with the present spate of violence and religous awakening and suspiscion in the heart of nigerians, both collectively and individually, for a muslim from the south to make some headway presidency wise, just like it's crazy to have a christian president from the core north, too hard. Fashola, Okorocha and Oshiomole are all by far smarter than I, and they know better than I do, that in Nigeria you CANNOT become president after you must have served as VP for 8years, the moment you accept the VP slot you blow away the chances of becoming president for life. So where will the north turn to, to whom and from what zone? We are getting closer to 2015 and I know clearly, the end of all things. Permit me laugh in obj's tone...

3 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Nobody: 11:23am On Mar 10, 2013
Omo_Tier1: Wining ticket : Buhari and Oshiomhole, Fashola for Senate President. Rochester needs to remain in IMO State for another 6years minimum and turn IMO State into the pride of South East before He can take shot at the Presidency.

Right now we need a team that can crush corruption, restore security and pursue aggressive development. I really do not care where the individuals are from but never again should Nigeria end up with a mediocre as a president!

If Buhari decides not the run, then Oshiomhole would be my first choice for the Presidency and I would Fashola for me should be Senate President. It is so sad for the first time for so long as I can remember, I can't think of any South Easterner who really possess the accuse to be a Vice President nor President. Look at Ayim, even as the SFG, there is nothing one can speak well of about his reign.

ENOUGH OF EMERGENCY PRESIDENT.... NIGERIA NEEDS A PRESIDENT OF NECESSITY....
may amadioha strike dat ur epileptic fingers! who re u to determine for igbo?

6 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by An0nimus: 11:26am On Mar 10, 2013
I find a problem with that word 'shops'...

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by simmydebadest(m): 11:32am On Mar 10, 2013

with due respect sir, SHUT UP!!!

2 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by AWKAMADEGUN: 11:33am On Mar 10, 2013
last timer: Who says power should return to the North. Smh! Abeg o, for the sake of equity, power should remain in the south cos we've got more credible people here. Oshiomole, BRF etc are tested and trusted candidates. IMO, Rochas should stay put in Imo state to stabilise and develop the polity. All these Northerners looking for VP candidates can consider the position for themselves. Na wa o, is it by force to rule.

Just listen to yourself. Before now you ediots were jumping up and down praising Roches as the best thing since space shuttle and now he is no longer good enough for the exalted office, since your leaders has succeeded in deceiving him into biting the fingers that fed him. He should now stay put in imo state and quietly convert the state to APC without a fight for vote, so that it will be that APC has made in road in the east? Then it could have been better he remained where he was since there is nothing he can gain in return for joining the merger.

4 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Duru1(m): 11:37am On Mar 10, 2013
Laalamed: Prominent Northern politicians have launched a search for a vice-presidential candidate to be the running mate of the region’s consensus candidate during the 2015 presidential election.

Sources privy to the plan told SUNDAY PUNCH on Friday that the yet-to-be chosen consensus candidate and his running mate would contest on the platform of the All Progressives Congress.

SUNDAY PUNCH’s investigations showed that power brokers from the North had already penciled in the Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola; his Edo State counterpart, Mr. Adams Oshiomhole; and Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State.

A highly-placed source in the APC, which is expected to be the main challenger of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party in 2015, confirmed that the three governors were on the list of candidates but they had not been approached.

The source who pleaded anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the matter, said the ideal vice-presidential candidate must be a “young progressive.”

“It is true we are looking for a suitable vice-presidential candidate from the South, particularly the South–West, because unless something dramatic happens, our flag bearer is coming from the North.

“The overwhelming thinking among members of the coalition is to have a young progressive, preferably one that has a track record of performance, for the post.

“As for the presidential candidate, everything being equal, we should know who the candidate is soon.

“For now, we have not yet agreed on who it should be but I can tell you Fashola is one of them, however, we cannot take a final decision on this until we are able to get leaders of his primary constituency to agree.”

The source also said, as part of its back-up plan, the governors of Edo and Imo States were also among those being considered outside of the South- West.

The Convener of the Concerned Northern Politicians, Academics, Professionals and Businessmen, Dr. Junaid Mohammed, on Friday evening, also confirmed that the North was seeking a vice-presidential candidate in the South.

He said, “In the event of the presidency returning to the North, the issue will be who will deliver the votes from the South for the prospective candidate from the North.

“As I see it, the only person I see who can do it is from the South-West even though the South-West has its own challenges. Challenge number one will be to bring out a candidate from the Christian North who will now peer up with a likely candidate who will be from the South-West. Fortunately or unfortunately, the South-West is not terribly obsessed with matters of religion.”

Speaking through one of his aides, Okorocha on Friday said the 2015 election was not on his mind.

“The issue of 2015 presidency is not on my agenda now,” he said.

Okorocha, who spoke to SUNDAY PUNCH, through his Special Assistant on Media, Mr. Ebere Uzoukwa, said he was committed to building a strong national party with the capacity to address the leadership problems facing the country.

Uzoukwa said, “He already has a burden of justifying the mandate freely given to him by Imo people, by ensuring that they enjoy the dividend of democracy under his administration.

“Gov. Okorocha has always maintained that politics remains a process of assuming power and hence that is done, it should be discarded for development to take place.

“Even the dirty politics being played by the bad losers and enemies of democracy in Imo State and Abuja will not deter him from delivering good governance to the people through his well-thought-out programmes.”

Fashola through his Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Lateef Ibirogba, also refused to confirm that the governor was being considered for vice-president in 2015.

“Governor Babatunde Fashola has a four-year mandate and he has done only two. He should be allowed to focus on that instead of us to start talking about the vice-presidential slot. He has a lot of things to do for the people who elected him. He must not be distracted so that he can deliver what he promised.’’

Also, the Chief Press Secretary to Oshiomhole, Peter Okhiria, said he was not aware of the development. ‘‘I do not know anything about that. I am not aware,” he said.

Similarly, the National Publicity Secretary of the Congress for Progressive Change, Mr. Rotimi Fashakin, was hesitant to confirm the North’s search for a vice-presidential candidate.

He said the APC would cross the “bridge” of candidacy when it got there.

“When we get to that bridge, we will cross it, just like we have crossed all other bridges that the ruling PDP has told us that we will not cross. We will cross the bridge of the presidential and vice-presidential candidate when we get there.

“Let us not be in a hurry to do this, so that we don’t play into the hands of our adversaries; those who are really disappointed that we have succeeded thus far in our merger arrangement,” Fashakin said.

The CPC is one of the parties that have merged to form the APC. Others are the Action Congress of Nigeria, All Nigeria Peoples Party and a faction of the All Progressive Grand Alliance.

http://www.punchng.com/news/2015-north-shops-for-vp-candidate/

This article has confirmed what I had sensed long time ago that APC is a (modern day) NPC. The north had already settled on presidential candidate which must be a Muslim from northern region of Nigeria and now the north is shopping for the Vice.

Does this recent development suggest that the politicians in the Association of Criminalized Nigerians (ACN) and goofy Rochas Okorocha are bunch of doormen and butlers in the modern day NPC?

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by sanandreas(m): 11:43am On Mar 10, 2013
T:y wetin? Abeg make obasanjo go back to power
Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Nobody: 11:43am On Mar 10, 2013
If Fashola is the most viable politician in the APC (and he clearly is) then he must be the presidential candidate. Anything else is unacceptable. The North should shop for a vice-presidential candidate to Fashola.

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by bleufaucon: 11:49am On Mar 10, 2013
It's quite obvious in this site that. Ibibio's,efiks and igbos aint regarded. It is always wait for some years and prepare,while south west and north are the one's fit at all times to rule without preparation..well Fashola will never rule nigeria for he's no pan-africanist but a western puppet. Dead country.

3 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Obiagu1(m): 11:49am On Mar 10, 2013
Laalamed: sw people are not aggressive about religion but nigerians will not vote for muslim-muslim ticket because north cannot vote for christian-christian ticket.if north wants progress of the nation let them support a christian from north then BRF can be a running mate.

Typical Yoruba mentality exposed!

No, we want a Muslim from the North and Oshomole/Rochas from the South.

I bet you, with this combination, the Islamic APC Yoruba people are running along with like headless chicken will die a natural death in the SW.

Hypocrites!

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 11:53am On Mar 10, 2013
IN MY HONEST OPINION, FOR APC TO EMERGE WINNER COME 2015;

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE ; MUHAMMADU BUHARI ----- NORTH WEST

VICE PRESIDENT ; ROCHAS OKOROCHA ----- SOUTH EAST

SENATE PRESIDENT ; TUNDE FASHOLA ----- SOUTH WEST

SPEAKER, H.of REPS ; ? ----- NORTH CENTRAL

GOD BLESS NIGERIA, GOD BLESS APC, GOD BLESS U ALL.

3 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Obiagu1(m): 11:55am On Mar 10, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'between A Governor And Senator' Who Is Superior? / APC To Wike: Explain The N700m Poll Bribery Scam / Katsina Abduction: Buhari Fails To Visit School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.