Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,352 members, 7,860,912 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:45 PM

North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate (13938 Views)

Vice Presidential Debate Has Started. LIVE UPDATES / Gov. Godswill Akpabio Of Akwa Ibom Campaigning For Vice President / Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by kettykings: 8:15am On Mar 11, 2013
Katsumoto:

There was no cross-carpeting in 1951. That incident was manufactured by Zik and Mbu after they lost the election. Since 1951, Zik and Mbu have not been able to produce the results which indicated they won the election. Click on link below for election results. If you want a breakdown, ask and I will provide.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Oi0aVR4YkmUC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=1956+election+NCNC&source=bl&ots=xlo8I8O_iF&sig=jmQDabaMysM0SG7MMZI3yFZ49dg&hl=en&ei=004zTvWKL4OnsALHmdTtCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=1956%20election%20NCNC&f=false

Awolowo was not offering to form an alliance with NPC or any other party in 1953. The elections you are referring to are the 1959 elections in which no party won a clear majority and needed to merge with another to form the government.

Please try to read http://www.onlineresearchjournals.com/aajoss/art/68.pdf

History of Cross Carpeting and Nigeria Democracy
Cross-carpeting in Nigeria pre-dates independence. Therefore, it is as old as Nigerian politics. In
1951 the first celebrated cross-carpeting episode occurred in Nigeria. This cross-carpeting
scenario robbed Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe the chance to lead the government business of the Western
Nigeria. This was the most celebrated cross-carpet episode in Nigeria.
The Yoruba members of the National Council for Nigerian and the Cameroon (NCNC) were
lobbied to cross over to the Action Group (AG) to stop Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, an Igbo man, from
becoming the premier of Western Region. When the House met, there was a red carpet, and the
speaker’s bench was in the centre; the government side was on the right whereas the opposition
bench was on the left side. The NCNC, the majority party occupying the government side, had
the red carpet separating them from the opposition. The Governor was then the Speaker or the
Chairman of the House. He took his seat. Chief Awolowo got up and announced that he had a
matter of urgency to raise in order to forestall a situation that could lead to riots and anarchy, and
which many members of the House had decided to correct. One of the NCNC members got up
and remarked “Your Excellency, I do not want to be part of a situation where Yorubaland would
be set on fire”. So I am crossing over to the other side

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by PapaBrowne(m): 9:25am On Mar 11, 2013
Gbawe: All this thread shows is that this forum does not have many who have built valuable things or led anything worthwhile. The APC owes no one nothing and only those with a usurpation mentality, preventing them from discerning the basics of procedural fairness, will shout "why a Northerner".

The only option for the voting public is to reject candidates Parties present through the ballot box not dictatorially insist on who Parties must field/not field. APC stakeholders will determine who their ticket will go to. If some of us had wanted the right to speak vehemently, then perhaps we should have joined the political process , like all those we cowardly insult daily, so that we too have a voice at this non-public Stage of things. Anybody who has not done that should shut up, understand the limitations of their position and accept the entitlement of others to free choice. Worldwide, political Parties chose their leaders freely without interference from anyone. It is in Nigeria we are not politically sophisticated enough to accept this

The option for mature folks, leaders, solution providers and critical thinkers is to simply vote against the APC, if you don't approve of their choice, or form your own Party. To insinuate the APC is wrong to go with a Northern candidate is the heights of intolerance, stupidity and the rank unfairness afflicting the minds of some. Let us even assume the APC was formed to return power to the North, so what? Is this a crime considering , unlike others, they are going about it the right way via deliberately building politically useful structures?

Why do the lazy loudmouths against this not form their Party ages ago to counter this and put in the daily grind the likes of Tinubu, Buhari et al have? What gives any of us the right to tell these people what to do with their Party? We have our vote. We should recognise our limit and stop encroaching on things outside our jurisdiction. Simply use your vote as you see fit. It is very important for us to accept the limitations of our positions in life. If anyone had wanted a say in the candidates Parties field, then they should be on the right side of the fence to begin with and not shouting vacuously, judgementally and bigotedly from the wrong side of it.

Definition of Hypocrisy
Hypocrisy is the state of promoting or trying to enforce standards, attitudes, lifestyles, virtues, beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually hold.[1]

Why not then shut up on everything happening in Abuja with the FG and wait till 2015 when you would be opportuned to utilize your SINGLE VOTE. Why do you come on Nairaland to talk about the PDP and its actions. Why not simply accept the limitations of your position in life with regards to the activities of the PDP. If you wanted to have a say on the activities of the FG & PDP, why not be on the right side of the fence and stop shouting vacuously, judgementally and bigotedly on nairaland as though a mai guard in Aso rock would hear you out and and give your crumbs from his table!

You see, the consequences of your hypocrisy is on you, not on the people you think are your foes. Hypocrisy and bias blinds you out completely of making strategic decisions. A person deviod of hypocrisy would read the comments here with the understanding that every commentator is a potential APC voter and their opinions reflect a cross section of Nigerians. If I want their vote, I would align my strategy to appeal to them or I would work at convincing them to see positive in my actions.

I do sympathise with you though, cause the actions I've seen the APC take, would definitely keep Jonathan in power till 2019, and I feel bad because that means you would be bitter for another 6 years. Its hard being you bro. I don't envy your position right now especially when I know that Tinubu might just disappoint you again by switching his vote to Jonathan at the last minute!!

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Katsumoto: 1:20pm On Mar 11, 2013
kettykings:

@1 MKO Aiola sponsored the Coup of 1983 with the money he made from ITT contract with P and T

@2 Being killed or being driven to exile without a fight does not mean bravery just the same as a General kneeling down and begging a major on his knees does not depict bravery, Abacha hunted those he had power to hunt for 5 years without any single resistance even after he had imprisoned all the Generals from the south West and remaining had gone on self exile without a battle .

1. So MKO Abiola, one man, is now representative of all Yoruba? How did MKO sponsor that coup or any other coup? What is required to sponsor a coup? Who sponsored the coups in 1966, 1975, 1976, 1985, 1990, etc? Do military men really need sponsors to execute coups? And in any case you are wrong; MKO is 'ALLEGED' to have sponsored IBB's coup in 1985. This is how you go about mis-educating others with your beer parlour stories. Other than beer parlour conspiracies, what evidence exists that MKO sponsored any coup?

2. Abacha, a military head of state, used state resources to hound those against his life presidency. Abacha had the advantage because of his position. You make it sound like NADECO had the same resources as Abacha but fled.How were NADECO supposed to fight Abacha other than the means they used? You have to state how civilians were supposed to go against Abacha. Don't you think it would have been safer (and cowardly) for NADECO not to insist on Abiola's mandate? If really they were cowards, why didn't they just remain silent? I would go as far as stating that they were very brave considering the great danger to their lives. After all Kudirat Abiola, Admiral Omotehinwa, Pa Rewane were killed while others such Abraham Adesanya, Ibru, Gani, Akinriade, etc escaped attempts on their lives. You really need to have someone explain the definition of bravery and cowardice to you. The next time you talk about cowardice, I will give you real examples of cowardice but I will let it slide this time.

2 Likes

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Katsumoto: 1:43pm On Mar 11, 2013
kettykings:

Please try to read http://www.onlineresearchjournals.com/aajoss/art/68.pdf

History of Cross Carpeting and Nigeria Democracy
Cross-carpeting in Nigeria pre-dates independence. Therefore, it is as old as Nigerian politics. In
1951 the first celebrated cross-carpeting episode occurred in Nigeria. This cross-carpeting
scenario robbed Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe the chance to lead the government business of the Western
Nigeria. This was the most celebrated cross-carpet episode in Nigeria.
The Yoruba members of the National Council for Nigerian and the Cameroon (NCNC) were
lobbied to cross over to the Action Group (AG) to stop Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, an Igbo man, from
becoming the premier of Western Region. When the House met, there was a red carpet, and the
speaker’s bench was in the centre; the government side was on the right whereas the opposition
bench was on the left side. The NCNC, the majority party occupying the government side, had
the red carpet separating them from the opposition. The Governor was then the Speaker or the
Chairman of the House. He took his seat. Chief Awolowo got up and announced that he had a
matter of urgency to raise in order to forestall a situation that could lead to riots and anarchy, and
which many members of the House had decided to correct. One of the NCNC members got up
and remarked “Your Excellency, I do not want to be part of a situation where Yorubaland would
be set on fire”. So I am crossing over to the other side

I am not surprised about the writer; its the same old tales you all were told but no one bothered to provide any particular details. Who were the 42 that won seats for the NCNC? Isn't it funny that the winning party needed 41 votes and the NCNC got 42? What was the name of the NCNC gentleman that said 'So I am crossing over to the other side'? Surely, he must be recognizable as he stood up in public. Surely, the 20 folks who crossed over must have names. Why can't the NCNC provide the names of these members who crossed over to the AG? Now let me provide specifics about the election result to you. Liars try to obfuscate so that it would be more difficult for others to prove them wrong. That quack writer stated that Adelabu, Akinjide, and Agbaje did not cross. Well Adelabu was a member of Mabolaje Grand Alliance, the Ibadan party that won 6 seats. Adelabu was not a memebr of the NCNC at the 1951 election. Adelabu joined the NCNC after that election.

The Western house had 80 seats in total and any party with a 41 majority would have formed the government.

There were three elections for the 80 seats:
Western region elections on 24th September 1951 – 72 seats
Lagos elections on the 20th November 1951 – 5 seats (all won by NCNC)
Benin elections on the 6th of December 1951 – 3 seats (all won by Etu Edo)

Breakdown of 72 seats
AG won 38 seats including 3 won by its secretaries (Adegbenro, Hassan, and Osuntokun) who contested as independents.
Mabolaje Grand Alliance MBA (aka Ibadan Peoples Party) won 6 seats – Akinloye, Lanlehin, Akinbiyi, Akinyemi, Adelabu, and Aboderin
NCNC won 18 seats plus 7 Independent seats making 25
Ondo Improvement League won 2 seats
Adeola Odutola – Independent candidate representing Ijebu-Ode

At the end of the night on the 24th of September, 5 of the 6 MGA had declared for the AG while Adelabu declared for NCNC. Awosika of the Ondo improvement league and Adeola Odutola had both declared for the AG giving the AG 45 seats.

Of the three seats in Benin won by Etu Edo, Ighodaro declared for AG while Omo-Osagie and Ekuyasi declared for NCNC.

At the end of December 1951, seats were as follows
AG – 46
NCNC/Independents 34

The Western house was inaugurated on the 7th of January 1952 and elections to the Federal House were held on the 10th of January 1952. Three members of the NCNC crossed over to the AG and these were Kessington-Momoh, Ako, and Awodi Orisaremi (all representing Urhobo/Kukuruku division in the Mid-west). None of them was Yoruba and that clearly defeats the lame and ridiculous lies that the AG, and by extension Awolowo, introduced tribal politics in Nigeria. These three crossed over because they needed AG votes to get into the Federal House. Ako and Kessington-Momoh were elected but Orisaremi lost and returned to the NCNC. These three crossed when the AG had a clear majority and had to pay fees to join the AG.

The real reason Zik resigned was because he lost that election to the Federal House. NCNC had five seats from the West and Zik couldn’t gain any of these seats losing to other NCNC members such as Fadahunsi, Olorunnimbe, Oputa-Otutu, Denis Osadebey, and Adeleke Adedoyin. I have provided the real elections results and provided a breakdown, it is time for Zik (or his kids), Mbah, and yourself to provide the results of the election to prove that NCNC won the election.

Lastly, you lot are asking for something that no other group was giving at the time. The Yoruba were so advanced and accommodating that they allowed other groups from the other side to CONTEST and WIN elections in their region. There were several Igbo who won in the West, how many won in the North? How many Northerners or westerners won in the East? Was it not enough that Igbo sons had won seats in the West? No, they had to rule. You lot cry as if you had allowed a Yoruba man to become premier in the East but were betrayed by the Yoruba who didn't allow an Igbo man to rule in the West. And even if Yoruba members crossed to prevent Zik from becoming premier, were they not justified to do so? If they crossed, would they not have been justified going by the performance of Awo in the West and Zik in the East? What business did Zik have in wanting to rule in the West? The political sophistication you guys wanted from others, you weren't even dreaming about let alone practicing.

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Gbawe: 2:31pm On Mar 11, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Definition of Hypocrisy
Hypocrisy is the state of promoting or trying to enforce standards, attitudes, lifestyles, virtues, beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually hold.[1]

Why not then shut up on everything happening in Abuja with the FG and wait till 2015 when you would be opportuned to utilize your SINGLE VOTE. Why do you come on Nairaland to talk about the PDP and its actions. Why not simply accept the limitations of your position in life with regards to the activities of the PDP. If you wanted to have a say on the activities of the FG & PDP, why not be on the right side of the fence and stop shouting vacuously, judgementally and bigotedly on nairaland as though a mai guard in Aso rock would hear you out and and give your crumbs from his table!

You see, the consequences of your hypocrisy is on you, not on the people you think are your foes. Hypocrisy and bias blinds you out completely of making strategic decisions. A person deviod of hypocrisy would read the comments here with the understanding that every commentator is a potential APC voter and their opinions reflect a cross section of Nigerians. If I want their vote, I would align my strategy to appeal to them or I would work at convincing them to see positive in my actions.

I do sympathise with you though, cause the actions I've seen the APC take, would definitely keep Jonathan in power till 2019, and I feel bad because that means you would be bitter for another 6 years. Its hard being you bro. I don't envy your position right now especially when I know that Tinubu might just disappoint you again by switching his vote to Jonathan at the last minute!!

Look you silly clown and clannish dolt, the FG is the federal government of Nigeria. I am a Nigerian and can take the federal governing body, and the President that heads it, to task any time and anyday. I know clannish twerps like you think GEJ is more your President than he is to others but that shows what bush men and cave dwellers you silly folks are.

If we are talking hypocrisy, it is about folks like you who never had a decent word to say about the ACN, Tinubu,Buhari and CPC only to now be insisting unreasonably, for example, Fashola be dropped for Rochas as VP. What could be more bigoted than that? Anyone politically sophisticated will realise things are still entirely political and that making sentimental and unreasonable demands , after the political efforts of others you mocked has become productive, is dishonest, immoral, unprincipled, outlandish and ludicrous.

Tinubu is the biggest stakeholder in the APC. It will not be too much, from a political perspective and in view of what he brings to the table, for the man to rightly demand his choice is considered for the VP position. Let us not fool ourselves. As I am not on the same level as a clannish cretin and limited thinker like you is the same way efforts and political relevance differ from stakeholder to stakeholders. What is the height of hypocrisy is for it to be those who curse Tinubu, Buhari, Yorubas, Hausa/Fulani, ACN, CPC daily to be the ones making the most unreasonable demand simply because of ethnic hankering and bigoted lack of fairness. From a purely political perspective and for the work the ACN has done and the sacrifice it has made, they can meritoriously demand that Fashola be VP. Simple as that. It is still about permanent interests in politics and not sentiments or bigoted myopia. Your sort lack enduring principles so I expect issues to remain above your thick head. Now run along and go and play monopoly.

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by AK481(m): 2:59pm On Mar 11, 2013
talktimi: grin hehehehhehee never knew ibo people as an entire race were "bastards" now that's a classic.
afam did u read this,if you did,then for once i will like u to adopt the boko haram longbearded,jumper trouser mod's style(mctunji),ban this mutherfacker till 3013
Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Katsumoto: 3:10pm On Mar 11, 2013
@Gbawe

The Northerner that Fashola should serve as vice to is Buhari; in my opinion. ACN is the biggest party in that merger and Tinubu should, would have a voice in who gets both the Presidency and VP slot.
Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by Gbawe: 3:45pm On Mar 11, 2013
Katsumoto: @Gbawe

The Northerner that Fashola should serve as vice to is Buhari; in my opinion. ACN is the biggest party in that merger and Tinubu should, would have a voice in who gets both the Presidency and VP slot.

We are on the same page completely . We know some people are condemned to never see the politics of things with their sentimental, bigoted and myopic take on everything. Imagine I mocked you when you had the vision to save up and buy a car. Now I not only want to tell you how to drive your car but insist on the destination you must drive it to as well. What manner of unreasonable minds are some cursed with that they can never believe in 'fair is fair' and "give unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar"?

What is sure is that this is still politics where it is all about what stakeholders bring to the table even if some usurpers now want to talk as if they should be promoted straight to the top of the pile. Let everyone get in the ring and fight for the position they want. The Tinubus and Buharis of the world have the right to play umpire because of what they bring and no one can now be belittling their worth. Like it or not, they are the leaders of the Party. Hate their ethnic group or not, you must still fall under their leadership or get lost. No long thing.

Buhari = massive votes in the North while Tinubu and Fashola can deliver the SW if they work hard at it. Let some attention-seekers spare us their noise. Those who want what is best for Nigeria, whatever their ethnic group, should get behind the APC , stop any attention-seeking histrionics, and accept the choice of the Party or simply go elsewhere instead of trying to now come and dictate to those who abided with the idea of merging and pushed things to where they are today.

1 Like

Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by talktimi(m): 3:56pm On Mar 11, 2013
AK 48:
afam did u read this,if you did,then for once i will like u to adopt the boko haram longbearded,jumper trouser mod's style(mctunji),ban this mutherfacker till 3013
dude don't get your socks worked off, I'm just expressing surprise on what "enlightened" human beings have been posting here since.
Re: North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate by olabukola: 11:55pm On Mar 11, 2013
Where dem wan shop am? for tesco abi shop rite?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Presents Cheques To Chibok Girls Families, Others / Photos From John Oyegun's 80th Birthday Celebration In Abuja / ASUU To NASS: Ban Government Officials From Sending Children To School Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.